• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Williamstown v Casey Demons - Round 8

Lewis had a good first half but poor in the second. Again just based on that game he stays at Casey. But with the seniors so hopeless he is still better that half a dozen. From all reports about the seniors game I would be temped to play JKH and Hannan next week, might be a tough ask after being out for so long and then promoted to the seniors after one game.

• Love 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went along to Willy Oval by the sea today as I live down that way. Just a few notes on the game. Willy are a team full of "pit bulls" as Rawlings called them and they are at you all game. In br

I was at the game yesterday and had a great look as I work for Williamstown. It has been mentioned on here before, someone quoting Rawlings that Williamstown will always be at you. This is spot on. Th

FMD od !!! If you're giving JKH a wrap, I reckon it's time to abandon ship!

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

when the cupboard is bare..   how did Hannan go?

Reasonably well for his first game of the year, as I said under normal circumstances you would play him again at Casey but hell why not in the seniors. We are seriously short of players who can accurately deliver the ball. Both him and JKH are good ball users how could they make our forward line worse.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, old dee said:

Lewis had a good first half but poor in the second. Again just based on that game he stays at Casey. But with the seniors so hopeless he is still better that half a dozen. From all reports about the seniors game I would be temped to play JKH and Hannan next week, might be a tough ask after being out for so long and then promoted to the seniors after one game.

What position did Lewis play Old??

5 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

FMD od !!! If you're giving JKH a wrap, I reckon it's time to abandon ship!

Yes sad isn't? Honestly he does two things a lot in the seniors side don't.

He has a red hot go is fast and when he has the ball he uses it well.

Here is an even more amazing comment the Weid played well in the first half, our first two goals were from him taking two good contested marks and kicking truely. He was in the top few players in the first half. After half time our entries into the forward dropped amazingly and when they did happen they were so poorly delivered JC would have struggled. Now you all know I have not been a big fan but with our lack of forwards he must play next week.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, old dee said:

Three things

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, old dee said:

Had a good last quarter but average. Would pick for seniors on that game IMO.

Would pick, or would *not* pick?

The two sentences seem contradictory?

1 minute ago, bing181 said:

Would pick, or would *not* pick?

The two sentences seem contradictory?

Correct bing should say " would not" .

my Brain  got a fair way ahead of my fingers. Sorry

• Like 1

I went to watch a few players and sometimes that means you miss others. However I quite like Bedford, while he did not have great figures knows where to go and looks like he could develop nicely. Only 19 so he has some time yet. My only knock on him is he has fine statue not sure he will get a lot bigger. You need more size to make it at AFL level. 

25 minutes ago, old dee said:

Here is an even more amazing comment the Weid played well in the first half, our first two goals were from him taking two good contested marks and kicking truely. He was in the top few players in the first half. After half time our entries into the forward dropped amazingly and when they did happen they were so poorly delivered JC would have struggled. Now you all know I have not been a big fan but with our lack of forwards he must play next week.

Give him a couple of weeks i reckon  'OD', to let his body adjust... he must have missed a lot of training off legs,  early in his injury period.

He'll need some match conditioning,  shirley.!

29 minutes ago, old dee said:

Honestly he does two things a lot in the seniors side don't.

He has a red hot go       is fast and when he has the ball he uses it well.

28 minutes ago, binman said:

Three things

Truly  Max Smart-esq',  'OD'.

...  thanks for brightening a dull dull day.   😎

3 hours ago, old dee said:

My only knock on him is he has fine statue not sure he will get a lot bigger. 

In my experience, OD, statues don't usually grow very much...

• Haha 1

I went along to Willy Oval by the sea today as I live down that way.

Just a few notes on the game. Willy are a team full of "pit bulls" as Rawlings called them and they are at you all game. In broad terms they closed down the contest, got the game on their terms, then kicked about 6 goals in a row from the end of the second to the first goal of the last qtr. It was a good test for us and as of the seniors, we came up short.

Lever was playing pretty well, his disposal was excellent, he was taking the kick-ins and our back line was on top when he went for a contested ball up on the far wing and looked to twist his ankle. He immediately started hobbling, came off, got his ankle strapped, did a couple of run-throughs, went to half time then came out and sat out the game with his ankle iced. I watched him a lot even when he came off before his injury and at the quarter time break and he is definitely not comfortable yet on his knee. He was very aware of it, stretching and itching it a lot. He is so skinny it will take us all a season to get used to his gangly running action but I am pretty sure he didn't re-injure the knee in any way. He will however be a good 3 to 4 weeks away from seniors footy and probably at least a couple from the Casey games.

We also lost Maynard in the second qtr to a dangerous tackle (no free) and he was concussed and out for the day. So we were down two players and all of a sudden we had to shuffle the deck and they got on top. One player I really wanted to see against a strong midfield was Sparrow but he was also out (rested I hope and presume). He was part of a good winning midfield against Essendon a couple of weeks ago where he had a run with role with their best mid (number 4) and did a good job. So with Sparrow out we pushed James Jordan into the middle and he was changing with Lewis off half back and it was working well, both Lewis and Jordan getting lots of the ball and driving us forward, but they tightened up, especially on Lewis and then Maynard went off and they got control of the midfield.

Preuss was okay but their ruck was six inches shorter than Preuss so they just wrestled and did all sorts of illegal things to stop his influence and the umps didn't pay one free to Preuss. If they had stopped all the illegal stuff he would have been better but they completely dulled any influence he might have on the game for the period they dominated. He got loose a bit in the last and gave some nice taps to advantage but the game was already gone.

JKH was our best player. They tried to tag him but he was too clever and was the classiest player out there. He has developed his defensive game a lot in the last year and laid a lot of tackles as well. He did drift out of the game a bit at times but was pretty good for 4 qtrs and is the most likely for a step up to seniors. He played wing very well and would take Stretch's or Jones's position. If given a good run at it, I'm sure he can become top 22. And why not given we won't play finals this year.

Weid was Okay. He cannot take body position well in a pack yet and may never be capable of that role. He also doesn't always run to the right spots and he got hands to, but dropped a lot of marks. But he did take a couple of lovely grabs when given a clear run at the ball. For the most part he was our number one forward today and as such was hassled out of a lot of contests but he isn't ready to come into the seniors and add much more than Smith does. A bit of a negative review I know but for those thinking theres depth down below, think again. In an ideal world we would leave Weid in the seconds for another year, get him to put on another 5-10 kilo of pure muscle, increase his strength and get him to concentrate on getting his percentages at marking contests up closer to 20% rather than the 5% he's operating at now.

Hannan was okay, looked fit and well, a little rusty and maybe one more before a call-up but given such a long lay-off a very good return.

Bedford had more impact than Chandler today, he played the small forward role quite well and hopefully can develop further this year. Both okay but definately not ready for any senior footy.

Lewis and James Jordan. Lewis was good and did well not to get reported as they gave him plenty of stick. He was very good in the first qtr delivering off the half back-line but when we lost Maynard he had to go to the contest more and wasn't as effective. He may still get a recall as he looked fit and well and had a good attitude. James Jordan, I think this was one of the first times they used him on ball and he was good, lots of tackles and little dish outs, he should be proud of his game and he shows plenty of promise.

Overall, Willy probably had the best three or four players out there today and are a pretty good side who play their home ground well and played well for each other. Their commitment was what won it and something that once again seems to have gone missing from Melbournes whole footy department.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8
8 hours ago, deespicable me said:

Just a few notes on the game. Willy are a team full of "pit bulls" as Rawlings called them and they are at you all game. In broad terms they closed down the contest, got the game on their terms, then kicked about 6 goals in a row from the end of the second to the first goal of the last qtr. It was a good test for us and as of the seniors, we came up short.

Lever was playing pretty well, his disposal was excellent, he was taking the kick-ins and our back line was on top when he went for a contested ball up on the far wing and looked to twist his ankle. He immediately started hobbling, came off, got his ankle strapped, did a couple of run-throughs, went to half time then came out and sat out the game with his ankle iced. I watched him a lot even when he came off before his injury and at the quarter time break and he is definitely not comfortable yet on his knee. He was very aware of it, stretching and itching it a lot. He is so skinny it will take us all a season to get used to his gangly running action but I am pretty sure he didn't re-injure the knee in any way. He will however be a good 3 to 4 weeks away from seniors footy and probably at least a couple from the Casey games.

We also lost Maynard in the second qtr to a dangerous tackle (no free) and he was concussed and out for the day. So we were down two players and all of a sudden we had to shuffle the deck and they got on top. One player I really wanted to see against a strong midfield was Sparrow but he was also out (rested I hope and presume). He was part of a good winning midfield against Essendon a couple of weeks ago where he had a run with role with their best mid (number 4) and did a good job. So with Sparrow out we pushed James Jordan into the middle and he was changing with Lewis off half back and it was working well, both Lewis and Jordan getting lots of the ball and driving us forward, but they tightened up, especially on Lewis and then Maynard went off and they got control of the midfield.

Preuss was okay but their ruck was six inches shorter than Preuss so they just wrestled and did all sorts of illegal things to stop his influence and the umps didn't pay one free to Preuss. If they had stopped all the illegal stuff he would have been better but they completely dulled any influence he might have on the game for the period they dominated. He got loose a bit in the last and gave some nice taps to advantage but the game was already gone.

JKH was our best player. They tried to tag him but he was too clever and was the classiest player out there. He has developed his defensive game a lot in the last year and laid a lot of tackles as well. He did drift out of the game a bit at times but was pretty good for 4 qtrs and is the most likely for a step up to seniors. He played wing very well and would take Stretch's or Jones's position. If given a good run at it, I'm sure he can become top 22. And why not given we won't play finals this year.

Weid was Okay. He cannot take body position well in a pack yet and may never be capable of that role. He also doesn't always run to the right spots and he got hands to, but dropped a lot of marks. But he did take a couple of lovely grabs when given a clear run at the ball. For the most part he was our number one forward today and as such was hassled out of a lot of contests but he isn't ready to come into the seniors and add much more than Smith does. A bit of a negative review I know but for those thinking theres depth down below, think again. In an ideal world we would leave Weid in the seconds for another year, get him to put on another 5-10 kilo of pure muscle, increase his strength and get him to concentrate on getting his percentages at marking contests up closer to 20% rather than the 5% he's operating at now.

Hannan was okay, looked fit and well, a little rusty and maybe one more before a call-up but given such a long lay-off a very good return.

Bedford had more impact than Chandler today, he played the small forward role quite well and hopefully can develop further this year. Both okay but definately not ready for any senior footy.

Lewis and James Jordan. Lewis was good and did well not to get reported as they gave him plenty of stick. He was very good in the first qtr delivering off the half back-line but when we lost Maynard he had to go to the contest more and wasn't as effective. He may still get a recall as he looked fit and well and had a good attitude. James Jordan, I think this was one of the first times they used him on ball and he was good, lots of tackles and little dish outs, he should be proud of his game and he shows plenty of promise.

Overall, Willy probably had the best three or four players out there today and are a pretty good side who play their home ground well and played well for each other. Their commitment was what won it and something that once again seems to have gone missing from Melbournes whole footy department.

Excellent summation de, you are obviously a better reporter than me. Thanks.

9 hours ago, deespicable me said:

Fantastic balance of pointing out weaknesses and keeping it as positive as possible.

• Like 1

I was at the game yesterday and had a great look as I work for Williamstown. It has been mentioned on here before, someone quoting Rawlings that Williamstown will always be at you. This is spot on. They are extremely well coached by Andy Collins. 

In regards to Preuss, he was up against Nick Meese who is the best state league ruckman going around. He is a multiple time VFL team of the year player, a Gerry-Callahan medalist (The Best and fairest at Williamstown), premiership ruckman, life member etc. Preuss' game was very good with all this in consideration.

Lewis played very well. He was matched up with Adam Marcon, Williamstown's captain, who is an exceptional player. Lewis did have a few turnovers, but the wind at the ground meant no player was nailing all their kicks. I did catch Lewis helping instruct and teach some of the young boys and really being supportive which i highly rate.

Weideman was exceptional in my opinion. He was matched up against Olly Tate, who is undersized, yes, but is a very, very smart footballer. The Williamstown boys supported Tate well ensuring he was never left alone. Weids took an absolute hangar in the first quarter, this was even more impressive as it was after a repeat lead, and he didn't whinge after his first lead (which should have been rewarded) wasn't rewarded.

Hannan is a a lot bigger than i expected, i had never seen him up that close. He worked his way into the game quite well. Missed a few kicks but will be better for the run. 

Lever was excellent in the time he was on the ground. He was a class above, i am bias, but you could ask anyone at the game yesterday and they would not disagree with me.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, demonchris said:

In regards to Preuss, he was up against Nick Meese who is the best state league ruckman going around. He is a multiple time VFL team of the year player, a Gerry-Callahan medalist (The Best and fairest at Williamstown), premiership ruckman, life member etc. Preuss' game was very good with all this in consideration.

Who won the battle?

4 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Can we start spelling Jordon's name correctly?

Nah. I’ve seen enough Pettards, Pedersons, Clarkes, Dunnes etc go through the club to know the collective Demonland will NEVER spell this man’s name correctly.

• Haha 1