JV7

Looking Forward 2020 & Beyond

1 hour ago, Matsuo Basho said:

We could get a pick between 10 - 20 for Petracca. Probably about the same for Angus if we’re brutally honest.

I would seriously look at trading out Petracca if it means we can lure a Ben Brown or Jon Patton to the club. 

You’ve got to give to get. I would trade the Petracca pick and our 2020 first rounder for Brown. Change the whole complexion of our side.

Trade...  Petracca for Langdon..

Here’s what MFC need for 2020 & beyond:

1) Continuity in playing list: 

this is clearly biggest issue and starts now re addressing ALL surgeries on spot to minimise off season inj and ensure better pre season continuity and lack of players missing blocks and sessions ala entire mid group this year.

2) Ground Ball & Pressure players up forward:

This is MASSIVE and biggest single diff to Late last year statistically. cats lead comp in all 5 key stats around this we rank 11-16th in same 5 categories. Scoring from fwd pressure, score diff from turnover, score conv per i50, Score diff from post clearance, ground ball get count. 

Kyle Dunkley is already a good start in this direction as is Chandler & as will Vanders be and J Smith & Hannan when fully integrated and has when has help.

Recruiting Targets: 

these are the type of players we need..

Gryan Miers, Dahlhaus, Josh Thomas, B.Mihocek, Castagna, Mason Wood, Zurhaar, K.Turner, Jenkins, Zak Jones, Liam Ryan, Sheed.

We desp need FINISHERS (Jenkins for example, quality finisher) & Ground ball players. Petracca is elite ground ball and he’s literally ALL awe have right now. Vanders will help, Chandler too & Dunkley as mentioned but we need help & need converters or we will likely never get improvement on i50 conversion cus we kick 70.99-18(non score misses) in last 6 weeks and it’s just awful. We don’t need huge names - we need them type as per deficiencies not as per what Melb supporters decide we want cus they know sweet FA From what I read and hear.

We need entry 50 help too but I blv we have much to return in this area ie players already mentioned, Melksham, KK & others.

3) Maturity hedge gap between best and worst in areas of skill. We invite pressure atm and knowing WHEN to slow and when to play fast is another huge issue without runners now.

fix all this and we WILL contend, fact!

PS: seeing our backline area with May & Lever yest was AWESOME! I can’t wait to see these to after 5 let alone 15 games together, it’s gonna be insanely good Lever mark yest showes what he can do and May was good in small and tall - they’ll take some scalps that’s for sure!!!

• Like 1

Just now, DV8 said:

You guys are so bloody idiotic and DELUDED - He’s our best young player by FAR overall in upside and our ONLY elite groundball player. Seriously you ppl scare living [censored] out of me sometimes. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Hahah this clown for real?? ☝️

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

You cannot get rid of Maynard, JKH and Stretch unless you want to decimate the mid field depth.

One or two need to stay... they are depth

Agreed, we have to keep our Gut runners at the moment,  until we have other hard runners,  who can take their places. ANB, JKH, 

Not sure about stretch ?

Maynard...  If Viney was hurt, couldn't play,  I think Maynard would come into calculations.

We need to give Maynard a number of games, to see what he offers.

Same with Petracca,  play him in the Pivot.  see what he offers.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So hes all that according to you, yet you actually still expect a 1st rounder?

Ok.......

Steven May says hi 

We can play the same card with Free Agents now and let them walk for max compo unless teams are willing to pay overs for a guaranteed trade.

Just now, olisik said:

Steven May says hi 

We can play the same card with Free Agents now and let them walk for max compo unless teams are willing to pay overs for a guaranteed trade.

Honestly mate when has Melbourne became that ruthless...

If the club was ever going to consider trading Viney ( which i doubt they would) he would only net a 2nd rounder. Limited footballer who plays one position and thats it. 

Some good points on this thread.

Point noted about trading out too much depth.  25% list turnover in 1 year is drastic (rebuild!!), so the 12 players I identified would ideally be phased out over 2 years (6 this year and 6 next year, depending on performances and length of contracts etc.)

Regarding trading Angus Brayshaw.  He gets a lot of the ball when playing in his preferred position of inside midfielder, but is often sloppy with his disposal and turns the ball over.  If we could get a first round draft pick for him I’d take it.  Perhaps Carlton (support for Patrick Cripps) or Fremantle (join his brother Andrew) would be interested?  Unfortunately Carlton’s first 2019 National draft pick is tied to Adelaide’s finishing position!

That would give us 2 first round draft picks (our first round 1 National draft picks since 2015 when we picked up Oliver and Weideman).

Petracca shows glimpses of his talent but has never really dominated a game, so I can understand people being frustrated with him.  I’d stick with him, but if we did trade him and get a future first round pick it could be good business (thus going into the 2020 National draft with 2 first round draft picks).

The only untouchables from a trade point of view for me are Gawn, Oliver, Lever, May, Salem, though I’d be happy to retain all of my best 22 that I posted earlier. 

From a playing point of view I just think we need to be at the pointy end of the draft so that we can land someone like Connor Rozee, Aaron Naughton, Tim Taranto etc.  There is always a risk (Morton, Toumpas) but we did well with our last crack at it in 2015.

From a football department point of view there are other areas of concern to address, one being our inability to adapt to the new 666 starting positions (a key part of our excellent month of football at the end of 2018 was starting with 1 or 2 off the back of the square).  Another is the expectation that winning the contest and winning the clearances wins games of football.  It can help but doesn’t guarantee it; at the end of the day football is won or lost on the scoreboard.  From what I have seen when attending training any goal kicking practice is performed in as far from match like conditions as possible.  Sure you can never fully replicate the pressure experienced on game day, but at least you can replicate some of the physical attributes like a gut busting 100m run to get into a goal scoring position to take a mark and then go back and have a shot at goal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nudge said:

You guys are so bloody idiotic and DELUDED - He’s our best young player by FAR overall in upside and our ONLY elite groundball player. Seriously you ppl scare living [censored] out of me sometimes. 

Oliver is our best young player (He’s younger and a star in the making).

This situation is all too familiar for the club and it’s supporters. 

Watts : I was in the “don’t trade him” camp but quickly got over that. We played him too early, didn’t develop him, played him out of position, then it was the coach. Every new game/season was going to be the one when he reached his potential. We held him too long, got Fritsch who I don’t think we’ve seen the best of yet but had we moved earlier could of got more.

Hogan : I was vocal early last season on trading him was happy when a deal was reached. I couldn’t buy into the whole “he’s  kicked 40+ goals two years in a row, hes the best young fwd in the comp garbage “, because he couldn’t take a pack mark, struggled for accuracy when not directly in front and failed to dominate a top 8 side. We moved at exactly the right time and got May. 

Petracca : We’re still waiting for a break out game, still waiting for him to tear a game apart. Still waiting for any kind of real consistency. He’s done nothing as a fwd, give him the rest of the season playing on the ball. Based on his performance over the remaining games should determine whether he is traded or not. We can look to blame Goodwin, McCartney or any of the line coaches or acknowledge that we may have another high draft pick bust on our hands. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Hogan : I was vocal early last season on trading him was happy when a deal was reached. I couldn’t buy into the whole “he’s  kicked 40+ goals two years in a row, hes the best young fwd in the comp garbage “, because he couldn’t take a pack mark, struggled for accuracy when not directly in front and failed to dominate a top 8 side. We moved at exactly the right time and got May. 

I note with some concern that Hogan tops the current list for the biggest drop in form in the entire AFL competition

He is currently minus 59%

But vs us in a few weeks  miraculous 6 goals plus. Time to visit sportsbet again.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Oliver is our best young player (He’s younger and a star in the making).

This situation is all too familiar for the club and it’s supporters. 

Watts : I was in the “don’t trade him” camp but quickly got over that. We played him too early, didn’t develop him, played him out of position, then it was the coach. Every new game/season was going to be the one when he reached his potential. We held him too long, got Fritsch who I don’t think we’ve seen the best of yet but had we moved earlier could of got more.

Petracca : We’re still waiting for a break out game, still waiting for him to tear a game apart. Still waiting for any kind of real consistency. He’s done nothing as a fwd, give him the rest of the season playing on the ball. Based on his performance over the remaining games should determine whether he is traded or not. We can look to blame Goodwin, McCartney or any of the line coaches or acknowledge that we may have another high draft pick bust on our hands. 

IF you go back and look over his U18 video clip of Petracca...  prior to his being drafted,  you can see how much of an advantage he enjoyed by being BIG,  compared to the other players in his draft years.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, DV8 said:

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Nudge said:

He needs to extract his digit nudge,   or he'll be another bust.

Playing on his potential alone isn't good enough.  He has to start to produce instead of letting others do the work.

This elite ground ball stuff says he should be in the guts.

The club should build a mansion for all the players to live in to boost the comraderie.

This is how we will welcome the new draftees

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

The club should build a mansion for all the players to live in to boost the comraderie.

This is how we will welcome the new draftees

omg that is truly scary....lets let that stay in America

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

omg that is truly scary....lets let that stay in America

It really is frightening isnt it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Do not like articles like this

Why trading Angus Brayshaw could fix Melbourne's midfield
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26952749/why-trading-angus-brayshaw-fix-melbourne-midfield

Don't want to lose Helmet 

the general vibe seems to be that gus could be on the market, i guess because he's been moved out of the midfield make-up from time to time over the year so far

personally i think trading yr best players is fraught with danger; as much as his kicking skills drive me up the wall (he's no better a user of the ball than dom tyson), to lose a key midfield mover is a massive risk, particularly with jones moving out of the mix - to lose another midfielder within two years (presuming jones retires at the end of 2020) would be a huge risk

if we get offered ben brown for starters? i'd look at it and then ask for a second round pick as well - brown is a gun forward but 27 years old

ideally we need to add outside run and spread to the likes of brayshaw, not rob peter to pay paul

13 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

the general vibe seems to be that gus could be on the market, i guess because he's been moved out of the midfield make-up from time to time over the year so far

personally i think trading yr best players is fraught with danger; as much as his kicking skills drive me up the wall (he's no better a user of the ball than dom tyson), to lose a key midfield mover is a massive risk, particularly with jones moving out of the mix - to lose another midfielder within two years (presuming jones retires at the end of 2020) would be a huge risk

if we get offered ben brown for starters? i'd look at it and then ask for a second round pick as well - brown is a gun forward but 27 years old

ideally we need to add outside run and spread to the likes of brayshaw, not rob peter to pay paul

I would trade Viney before Angus. 

We will have to trade hard this year

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I would trade Viney before Angus. 

We will have to trade hard this year

you'd get more for gus

9 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

you'd get more for gus

I know that. 2 players may have to go, but i hope it is not Gus

Viney out of the midfield lets Petracca in, which is where he will do his best work

Viney and a high Draft pick could get us a Josh Kelly type. 

We have to make some serious structural changes. Speed and skill

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I know that. 2 players may have to go, but i hope it is not Gus

Viney out of the midfield lets Petracca in, which is where he will do his best work

Viney and a high Draft pick could get us a Josh Kelly type. 

We have to make some serious structural changes. Speed and skill

no it wouldn't, i don't think

gus and our first rounder and gw$ would probably ask for more for kelly

in order of preference to jettison from our best midfield talent i'd go:

• brayshaw
  • viney
  • harmes
  • oliver
  • gawn

and i'd have petracca ranked btw viney and harmes, as i think he's clearly more talented than anyone bar oliver and gawn on that list

4 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

no it wouldn't, i don't think

gus and our first rounder and gw$ would probably ask for more for kelly

in order of preference to jettison from our best midfield talent i'd go:

• brayshaw
  • viney
  • harmes
  • oliver
  • gawn

and i'd have petracca ranked btw viney and harmes, as i think he's clearly more talented than anyone bar oliver and gawn on that list

It will be an interesting time. If the Club doesn’t trade hard this year, it never will again. 

• Like 1

We all have our own opinions and mine is to have only minimal delistings to go to the draft. We need to keep all our core young mids like Oliver, Gus and hopefully Trac who next year should spend more time in the middle. These guys get along well together and I believe will be the makings of the best midfield in the comp. Add in Harmes and it could be scary. This years draft crop like Lockhart, Sparrow etc I trust will improve greatly and add to this. Plenty of skill training in off season particularly kicking to advantage will help.

i would also trade viney before angus brayshaw. mostly because Viney is slower. And we are so bloody slow. but Goodwin also needs to work on his game plan. We look slow because our system is [censored] and we're always chasing on the rebound. 

And Angus Brayshaw is worth much more than pick 13 in that article. crazy talk.