Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Looking Forward 2020 & Beyond

JV7

On 5/20/2019 at 11:20 AM, Engorged Onion said:

I reckon you're pulling the trigger early @Deehumanizing on May. However I am sure you've made your mind up and the bloke has only played 1 game.  I personally think he will compliment the back 6 really well due to his skills sets... and I think with the pace of the game - Goodwin and the FD are wanting the zone, rather than the man on man - but OMAC ((as @binman) has stoutly defended) and May will be more of the one on one player that OMAC - anchor's if you will - whilst the others get to rebound.

Good post. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Good post. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

No idea how you can at this point claim " we won on that trade" .

we effectively  got two players for Hogan.

One had a bad history with concussion and is now out with that problem and marked as "indefinite" .

The other has played half a game, has shown on more than one occasion he is less than 100% committed and is still out injured with 2-3 weeks still to go at this point.

May might play well in 2020 but right now to call it a win is over the top.

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

. We won on that trade. May will be fine and I really feel for Hogan now stuck under Ross Lyon at Freo. OMac will improve  if given the chance with Lever alongside as he showed in 2018 early on.

Demon17 Do you write for a Comedy Team?

Surely you jest with the above quote. 

• Like 1

Let's be honest there has been nothing good about this season.

Every player has gone backwards.... just to different degrees.

Sure you can point to a few little glimmers (Hore) but it is probably our most disappointing season for many a year and like most I have seen many of those.

Not sure I really buy the off season surgery line but given the injury level it has become irrelevant.

With hindsight while the depth last year was not crash hot we probably cleared too much out at once. Mind you I would have done the same.

Looking forward to some improvement in the basic form over the next ten odd weeks otherwise the feeling going into 2020 won't be crash hot.

I went to watch Hawthorn v Richmond last weekend. The skill levels shown by the Hawks in that first quarter were sublime. Pity they didn't convert. On the other hand we fumble our way forward and then despair when the fast running teams kill us on the rebound.

• Like 1

Brad Scott could be let go as Kangaroos coach at seasons end or even sooner, what are everyone’s thoughts on getting in his ear about the defensive assistant coach for 2020?

cons- strong personality that may be hard for Goodwin to rein in

Pros- was a phenomenal backmen in his day, could he be our Leppa that got sacked at the Lions, went back to Richmond before their premiership and improved their defence out of sight?

35 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

Brad Scott could be let go as Kangaroos coach at seasons end or even sooner, what are everyone’s thoughts on getting in his ear about the defensive assistant coach for 2020?

cons- strong personality that may be hard for Goodwin to rein in

Pros- was a phenomenal backmen in his day, could he be our Leppa that got sacked at the Lions, went back to Richmond before their premiership and improved their defence out of sight?

No.

He has never struck me as being very smart.  More brawn than brains. 

His habitually whinging is grating and, wears a dour look far too often for my liking.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

No.

He has never struck me as being very smart.  More brawn than brains. 

His habitually whinging is grating and, wears a dour look far too often for my liking.

Agree to disagree mate, you don’t coach at the highest level for 9 1/2 years if you aren’t very smart.  He knew he always had to keep North some what competitive due to their small supporter base.  

How is I wasn love some ruthless backmen in our team.

was just a thought... ??

• Like 1

Hopefully there isnt a 2020.

This club is a total waste of time and energy for everyone involved.    Better off folding.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

It's obvious this season is done, but I'm not wrist slashing as it's easy to see there are a number of reasons for our poor performances:

- 15 off-season surgeries resulting in a large portion of our side coming in underdone.

- An extensive injury list with 8 or 9 of our best 22 out last week and v the Eagles the week before.

- Loss of confidence as a result of our poor start to the season.

- Lack of outside run that has been severely exposed by the new 6-6-6 rules.

I think our list is still very healthy heading into the next 5 years and this is merely a down season, which can be common (think the Cats in 2006 after making a prelim the year before and Hawks in 2009 after winning the flag).

I've run my ladder predictor for the remainder of this year and predict we will likely finish in 12th of 13th with 8 or 9 wins. This will give us pick 6 or 7 in the draft and it is imperative we get this right and ideally bring in a gun forward in the mold of De Goey or Stephenson.

The next issue is the management of our current list. IMO the following players will be gone at years end:

Lewis, Stretch, Garlett, J Wagner, Maynard & C Wagner.

With the addition of Dunkley tonight lets assume he gets given a new contract, that leaves 5 list positions to fill.

IMO our most pressing needs are: electric forwards, quick outside mids, back up ruck.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us go after the most electric forward with our first pick, more quick outside runners with later picks and a mature ruckman as depth. We should also be looking at potential free agents to add to our list such as Coniglio, Brandon Ellis, Alex Sexton or Stephen Hill (assuming he can get himself fit).

A full pre-season into our team and a potential best 22 for Round 1 2020:

B:         Jetta               May             Hore

HB:      Hibberd          Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Oliver             Baker

HF:      (1st pick)        Preuss        Melksham

F:         VanDenberg   McDonald   Hannan

R:        Gawn               Brayshaw      Viney

Int:      Frost        Hunt       Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

*Players in bold weren't playing last week and are best 22 when fit.

Edited by Collar-Jazz-Knee

1 hour ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

Int:      Frost        Hunt       Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Weideman, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

HB:      Hibberd         Lever           B Ellis

C :        Salem          Coniglio        Baker

HF:       Melksham     TMc            Hannan

F:          VanDenberg  Weideman  Hunt 

R:          Gawn             Oliver           Brayshaw   

Int:     Viney     Frost      Petracca     Quick small forward (anyone but Spargo and Neal-Bullen)

Depth: Dunkley, Spargo, Neal-Bullen, Jones, Kolodjashnij, Petty, Fritsch, J Smith

Edited by DV8

10 hours ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

It's obvious this season is done, but I'm not wrist slashing as it's easy to see there are a number of reasons for our poor performances:

- 15 off-season surgeries resulting in a large portion of our side coming in underdone.

- An extensive injury list with 8 or 9 of our best 22 out last week and v the Eagles the week before.

- Loss of confidence as a result of our poor start to the season.

- Lack of outside run that has been severely exposed by the new 6-6-6 rules.

I think our list is still very healthy heading into the next 5 years and this is merely a down season, which can be common (think the Cats in 2006 after making a prelim the year before and Hawks in 2009 after winning the flag).

I've run my ladder predictor for the remainder of this year and predict we will likely finish in 12th of 13th with 8 or 9 wins. This will give us pick 6 or 7 in the draft and it is imperative we get this right and ideally bring in a gun forward in the mold of De Goey or Stephenson.

The next issue is the management of our current list. IMO the following players will be gone at years end:

Lewis, Stretch, Garlett, J Wagner, Maynard & C Wagner.

With the addition of Dunkley tonight lets assume he gets given a new contract, that leaves 5 list positions to fill.

IMO our most pressing needs are: electric forwards, quick outside mids, back up ruck.

With that in mind, I'd like to see us go after the most electric forward with our first pick, more quick outside runners with later picks and a mature ruckman as depth. We should also be looking at potential free agents to add to our list such as Coniglio, Brandon Ellis, Alex Sexton or Stephen Hill (assuming he can get himself fit).

Not bad although I'm not sure VDB will be around CJK.

Spargo, ANB and Petty questionable even as depth for mine.  Would be trading those out if possible along with others who dont quite cut the mustard.

Jones will not be playing as depth.  He either takes a major role as a HF (minor through the middle) in a slight resemblance to Ablett with the rest of the time on the bench or he probably hangs them up.

Trade the first three, Cwags and other NQRs (and there's a few) for...

> a genuine Key Forward who can take contesteds, is also mobile on a lead and can kick straight a la Cameron.

> a genuine powerful small forward with crumbing & finishing skills who brings solid pressure i50 and also offers a marking option into space once in a while.

> A classy outside run & carry with great burst speed who can finish coming inside (might be Baker given enough time & development).

> Similar to the last option but more an inside / outside mid (eg; a better more agile more powerful version of Gus who can find a target inside 50).

Edited by Rusty Nails

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not bad although I'm not sure VDB will be around CJK.

Spargo, ANB and Petty questionable even as depth for mine.  Would be trading those out if possible along with others who dont quite cut the mustard.

Jones will not be playing as depth.  He either takes a major role as a HF (minor through the middle) in a slight resemblance to Ablett with the rest of the time on the bench or he probably hangs them up.

Trade the first three, Cwags and other NQRs (and there's a few) for...

> a genuine Key Forward who can take contesteds, is also mobile on a lead and can kick straight a la Cameron.

> a genuine powerful small forward with crumbing & finishing skills who brings solid pressure i50 and also offers a marking option into space once in a while.

> A classy outside run & carry with great burst speed who can finish coming inside (might be Baker given enough time & development).

> Similar to the last option but more an inside / outside mid (eg; a better more agile more powerful version of Gus who can find a target inside 50).

I agree with your comments re Spargo and ANB, but I don't see any value in trading them and hey provide solid depth.

It's way too early on Petty and I'm fairly confident he will become a solid backman once he hits 21/22.

I also want us to look at Richmond's list to pick off one of their smalls. Higgins, Bolton, Baker, Butler, Castagna, Rioli..... surely we can offer one of those players a bit more than they're getting at the Tigers.

15 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I would love to get this guy in. 25, just past 100 games and reliably hits the scoreboard every week. Exact type of player our forward line needs... along with another genuine crumbing small.

Sexton is a gun, pity he extended his contract two months ago until the end of 2023.

• Haha 1

Perhaps the easiest thing is to look towards the next six to eight weeks and ask what improvement we would like to see win lose or draw.

For me it's relatively easy... I want to see improvement in the form of Brayshaw and Viney plus I want Tom Mac to improve his marking skills and his interaction with one or two of our small forwards.

The drop off in the form of Jones is alarming and was highlighted against GWS. Did he win any one on ones?

To me the finding of form by the senior players is far more important than discovering a young gem. (BTW there probably isn't one).

I'll be happy with thirteenth place and eight odd wins plus some close losses. As to the wins I want to see some high scoring thrashings.... not the five odd point fall over the line wins we have achieved so far.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 team

B:            Jetta               May                  Hibberd

HB:         Hore             T.McDonald        Lever     

C :           Baker              Oliver              Brayshaw

HF:         Salem                ??                  Petracca

F:             ??                      ??                   Melksham

R:           Gawn                Viney            Harmes

Bench:      Fritsch      Lockhart     Hunt     Koladashnij

We need forwards.  McDonald isnt one, his 2018 was a fluke.   Weideman may not kick on.  We have no legitimate small forwards unless Bedford and/or Chandler explode.

4 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm sorry but you dont fluke 53 goals. 

the whole team is just devoid of confidence and that all falls on goodwin

Over Coaching? Are there too many structures the players are being told to adhere?