Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
don cordner

Umpires hate Melbourne

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, dworship said:

There is a reason International Cricket now has a NO local umpire on the field rule.

That principle would be difficult,  in Melbourne games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Gee if we are all going to be honest lets admit we have all hated this club at times.

The are the annoying little brother you love that often dissappoints.

I do believe we will win several flags in the next decade but  until then I reserve the right to dump on them.

The simple fact is umpires are prone to be influenced by larger cr o wd support discrepancies. 

While I agree with some of what you say I can find no excuse for the blatant ignoring of a dangerous tackle and the awarding of a free kick for the tackler. Jetta even held Smiths head against the ground at a shocking angle accentuating the dangerous action. This wasn't crowd influence this was either complete incompetence or something completely without integrity.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umpires dont hate us.  We simply don’t attract the positive bias that comes from winning flags, being Brownlow medallists, or being back page of the HS.  This puts us at a significant disadvantage - unless the rule breach is clear, their expectation and confirmation bias will work against us, so we dont get 50/50, but more like get 30/70.  When we are also considered ‘bad’ public citizens (May, Bugg, etc), this weighs against us as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dworship said:

There is a reason International Cricket now has a NO local umpire on the field rule.

Neutral umpires undermines officiating in general ... the real issue is that most sports fans are just bad losers and blame umpires/referees as a matter of course

And many have umpires on the brain ... these people are insane.  Nutjobs.

We need to quit moaning and stop making pathetic excuses.  The umpires aren't the issue and never have been.  They aren't out to get us either ... that is just pure BS.  

We lost the game last night because of our poor kicking for goal.  It was our fault.  Home town decisions are always going to happen in any sport ... and that will never change

What a pointless thread.  You can moan and [censored] all you like but nothing will ever change ... just come to terms with the fact that the sport can't be officiated correctly and that the mistakes made have no bias involved whatsoever. 

The paranoia is actually quite comical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The standard of umpiring this year has been pathetic. Not just in our games, but in every game I watch. Which is why I barely watch any games other than our own. 

  • Like 5
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Macca said:

Neutral umpires undermines officiating in general ... the real issue is that most sports fans are just bad losers and blame umpires/referees as a matter of course

And many have umpires on the brain ... these people are insane.  Nutjobs.

We need to quit moaning and stop making pathetic excuses.  The umpires aren't the issue and never have been.  They aren't out to get us either ... that is just pure BS.  

We lost the game last night because of our poor kicking for goal.  It was our fault.  Home town decisions are always going to happen in any sport ... and that will never change

What a pointless thread.  You can moan and [censored] all you like but nothing will ever change ... just come to terms with the fact that the sport can't be officiated correctly and that the mistakes made have no bias involved whatsoever. 

The paranoia is actually quite comical. 

Your first sentence staggers me.  While it is a fine theoretical point there is a reason in all sorts of areas of life that  a perceived or potential conflict of interest forces some people to withdraw.  Justice must be done and must be seen to be done.  

  Unfortunately for your argument that "mistakes made have no bias involved whatsoever " the statistics of frees given for and against in WA which someone published here a while ago rather under cut it.  You don't have to believe that umps are in a secret pro-WCE cabal or are being paid by Gil to promote WA.  You can put it down to the influence of the crowd.   For example when the WCE player ran far more than 15 metres on that kick out, if the crowd wasn't so one-eyed, there would have been a roar from the crowd and the ump would have woken up from his little nap.

 

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The standard of umpiring this year has been pathetic. Not just in our games, but in every game I watch. Which is why I barely watch any games other than our own. 

And you say that every season.

Why don't you come to terms with it all ... the sport can't be umpired correctly because it just can't be.

Mistakes are therefore going to happen and there is no bias against our team.

Edited by Macca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Macca said:

Nothing is ever going to change ... I follow at least 20 sports and home town decisions happen in each of those sports.

If you believe that the umpires are out to get us then you must be paranoid. 

You'll never change my mind either as I came to terms with offficiating over 4 decades ago ... time to man-up Sue. 

Quit your moaning

I would if I had been, but I wasn't.    Where did I say I thought the umpires were out to get us?  Try reading what I wrote before you show how tough you are.   Man-up? Crud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Errrr... it’s “You’re”, “Hawthorn” and “we’re”. 

Guess English grammar isn’t taught in Grade 4 in Panama?  Maybe get mum to help.

 

"We're" all aware "you're" a tool lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been multiple studies that show that umpires in all sports are affected by home town crowds. Basically they involve experienced refs picking rules infringements with the sound on and the sound off. With the sound on, they pick more "frees" (violations, what have you) in favour of the home crowd. In every study.

The AFL has an "integrity" department. (Legend has it.) Whether that is an actual office with real people staffing it, or if it's a waste paper basket in the corner of Gil's office, if the AFL had real integrity, they would not permit "home town" officials. Caesar's wife and all that. (Cricket no longer permits "home country" umps, and hasn't for many years, for that very reason -- the appearance of it.) They have empirical evidence that home town bias is real, and still do absolutely nothing about it. Manifestly, they don't care.

The AFL competition is a joke wherein the umps do not adjudicate to the rule book. No-one knows what the standard is they do referee too. And the officiating body does not not seem to know either, does not seem to care, gives a free pass for objectively faulty decisions, and charges the players (literally) for the faults of the referees.

It's a joke, corrupt competition that has lost its way in pursuit of ratings and $$$$. If it were not for my foolish and inexplicable devotion to the mighty MFC, I  would pay it the same attention I do to the 2nd tier Czech handball comp, ie, none.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the umpires hate us? Probably not, but I do agree that we tend not to get the rub of the green more often then not. It’s our own fault, Goody doesn’t question the AFL every second week like Clarkson (best coach for a decade) or the Scott brothers. Our mids don’t duck their heads and complain about high contact enough like the Holy Trinity 🙄 Our forwards don’t throw up their arms and exaggerate any contact like Ben Brown.

There is definitely umpire bias though, stats prove that West Coast are the most looked after team at home, by a mile. Noise of affirmation? Gutless umpiring? Cheating? Who knows, and I doubt the AFL will admit anything.

I missed what David King said on Fox footy after the game, from what I’ve heard off people, he definitely thought Melbourne were hard done by. There is no doubt we would’ve won the game if we kicked straight, we shot ourselves in the foot, but the umpires certainly didn’t help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see this thread is back on track after all those childish and insulting posts. Why can't we accept that we have different opinions, but that each of us is entitled to that opinion? Play the ball and not the man or woman, folks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Macca said:

 

This is your better post for mine. I tend to agree there is no particular bias against Melbourne other than what comes from being lowly rated in relevance. The last public outcry that the umpiring needs to be changed and was faulty was of course the Anzac game where Essendon were convinced the umpiring cost them the game. Then of course Essendon officials wanted an explanation over the Rampe decision last week "for the good of the game".

The point in your post I don't accept at all is the bit where you suggest we should just "accept" the umpiring of the game is stuffed and move on.

It is definitely a hard game to officiate but the AFL's and their media channels being virtually banned from commentating on umpiring when it so so so influentual on every games outcome, because it is hard to attract umpires to the sport, means there is very few avenues open to actually improve umpiring. 

There is no doubt in my mind the "rub of the green" was against us on Friday night. I'm all for a thread that discusses the umpires poor form. It gives solace to a loss.

 

Edited by george_on_the_outer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not a matter of the umpires hating us, it’s just that they can’t help but be swayed by the crowds.

Unfortunately , Melbourne almost NEVER have the “ fortress” style atmosphere that Perth, Adelaide, and Geelong have.

When we do have a home game against Perth or Adelaide sides on the MCG, there’s a pathetic crowd, no atmosphere, and no chance to influence the umpires by yelling “ ball” every time the opposition gain possession etc.

I think the AFL are aware of this, and try to educate the umpires not to be affected by the crowd. Unfortunately, that directive was forgotten on Friday night.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Watching Cats v Dogs. Tuohy just kicked in from FB. Didn’t play on. OOB without being touched. Nobody even near it .....THROW IN! That sums up the competency of umpiring at the moment.

With the new kick in rule the ball doesn't need to be touched before going out of bounds unless of course it is on the full.

A lot of our commentators don't know this rule change and should...they're getting paid to know this stuff.

The umpire was spot on...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 15 years of data clearly confirms a bias out west for the Coasters, who are sitting as the number one free kicked team by a country mile.  Sure someone has to be at the top...but to be a massive 64.3% ahead of their nearest rival the Kangas is a massive difference in anyone's language!

And the argument "it's a home town issue get over it this happens in all other sports"...uh nup not by that differential it doesn't. And besides that can't be the case, with the Dockers sitting a lowly 3rd last!

Something's smelly @West Coast and i smell a rat....or two!

lqakawxd0a211.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup, the umpires hate us, i think we are the only team in the afl who gets screwed by the umps on the mcg when its our home game!!!  i loved the Perth game the umps would pay in the back when a melbourne player fell on the side yet not pay melb player when it was there!!  happened more than once, i also loved how track hit up a player in the 50 in the last quarter and the umps called not 15, the list goes on, THE UMPS are Cheating for THE EAGLES

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Macca said:

And every supporter group argues in exactly the same way ... woe is me,  the umpires have got it in for us,  victim mentality & persecution complex.

And logic says that all those supporter groups can't all be right. 

But footy fans and logic is a bad mix. 

Otherwise intelligent people lose the plot because they want their team to win and they can't handle losing.  So who do we blame? Umpires ... it has to be their fault hey?

The above is the other side of the argument that most don't want to know about.

We look for closure and blaming the umpires gives us that closure.  But is our team good enough?  That is the real question.

We had our chances 'Macca' and should have put WC away.

...but some of the decisions that went against us were pretty average and hurt us.

Could well have changed the course of the game.

Do the umpires have it in for us? no

Were there some howlers last night? yes

Could the decisions have effected the outcome? yes

The Smith one hurt us, apart from the 12 point turnaround the tackle that forced him from the ground freed up McGoven and he became a real obstacle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, deespicable me said:

This is your better post for mine. I tend to agree there is no particular bias against Melbourne other than what comes from being lowly rated in relevance. The last public outcry that the umpiring needs to be changed and was faulty was of course the Anzac game where Essendon were convinced the umpiring cost them the game. Then of course Essendon officials wanted an explanation over the Rampe decision last week "for the good of the game".

The point in your post I don't accept at all is the bit where you suggest we should just "accept" the umpiring of the game is stuffed and move on.

It is definitely a hard game to officiate but the AFL's and their media channels being virtually banned from commentating on umpiring when it so so so influentual on every games outcome, because it is hard to attract umpires to the sport, means there is very few avenues open to actually improve umpiring. 

There is no doubt in my mind the "rub of the green" was against us on Friday night. I'm all for a thread that discusses the umpires poor form. It gives solace to a loss.

 

The chaos of umpiring our game means that obvious frees will be missed.  It's a thing that can't be explained because of the very nature of the chaos that exists

And trying to make sense of chaos is another pointless exercise.  The grey areas are extreme ... imagine trying to explain the rules to someone new to the game? And that explanation would be different for every person explaining the rules.  None of us are experts.

And yet we expect the umpires to get it right when they can't get it right.  Insanity.

It is just an unholy mess and the game is harder to umpire than it ever was.  And I don't feel sorry for umpires either ... it's their choice to do it.  They must know the abuse is coming their way far in advance. 

Why would you do it?

Edited by george_on_the_outer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rjay said:

We had our chances 'Macca' and should have put WC away.

...but some of the decisions that went against us were pretty average and hurt us.

Could well have changed the course of the game.

Do the umpires have it in for us? no

Were there some howlers last night? yes

Could the decisions have effected the outcome? yes

The Smith one hurt us, apart from the 12 point turnaround the tackle that forced him from the ground freed up McGoven and he became a real obstacle.

Well .. the only way to get into the Eagles situation is to exact the same fortress type home field advantage

Realistically,  that isn't going to happen so we just have to have a better team.

All the rest of it is pointless.  Rinse and repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macca said:

The chaos of umpiring our game means that obvious frees will be missed.  It's a thing that can't be explained because of the very nature of the chaos that exists

And trying to make sense of chaos is another pointless exercise.  The grey areas are extreme ... imagine trying to explain the rules to someone new to the game? And that explanation would be different for every person explaining the rules.  None of us are experts.

And yet we expect the umpires to get it right when they can't get it right.  Insanity.

It is just an unholy mess and the game is harder to umpire than it ever was.  And I don't feel sorry for umpires either ... it's their choice to do it.  They must know the abuse is coming their way far in advance. 

Why would you do it?

It's not chaos. There are rules and the players have to play by them. Chaos is something very different.

It is however chaotic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Margetts had a clear view of the Smith incident.

Smith had clearly stopped playing & not expecting to be tackled.

The tackler only needed to drag him down.

He chose to pin the arms and slam his head into the ground.

So is it bias, incompetence or very poor eyesight?

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

It’s not a matter of the umpires hating us, it’s just that they can’t help but be swayed by the crowds.

Unfortunately , Melbourne almost NEVER have the “ fortress” style atmosphere that Perth, Adelaide, and Geelong have.

When we do have a home game against Perth or Adelaide sides on the MCG, there’s a pathetic crowd, no atmosphere, and no chance to influence the umpires by yelling “ ball” every time the opposition gain possession etc.

I think the AFL are aware of this, and try to educate the umpires not to be affected by the crowd. Unfortunately, that directive was forgotten on Friday night.

Crowds do influence umpires & referees.  Another staple of sport.

Directives won't work either ... great in theory but in practical terms,  null and void.

I chatted to 3 or 4 Demon mates today and they all knew in advance that we weren't going to get the rub of the green.  It was never expected.

The opposite was expected however thus we needed to put them to the sword when we had our chance

But we blew it unlike it in round 22 last year when we didn't blow it and we won over there.  We took the crowd/umps out of the game in that match and that is how you win against the odds.

Before we point the finger we should look in the mirror.  And if that is not the message from Goodwin,  he's not the man for the job.  But he doesn't strike me as an excuse-maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deespicable me said:

It's not chaos. There are rules and the players have to play by them. Chaos is something very different.

It is however chaotic.

The game is impossible to umpire correctly.  The umpires probably never know when to blow the whistle

You should try your hand at it ... good coin for a part time job too.

But get ready for a torrent of abuse ... goes hand in hand. You are never going to be right umpiring our sport (even if you are right)

It is an unholy mess to officiate compared to any other sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...