Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs West Coast

Demonland

Did any oother Demonlanders hear the absolute baloney coming from Malthouse on the ABC before the match?

He repeatedly made incorrect comments on Melbourne's games this season(factual errors, not opinions).

Then after the match he tried to justify Jetta's despicable act.

He still loves the West Coast. Were they on the drugs while he was there, or was it all under Worsfold?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Water under the bridge but if Hogan had played, we win that game.

You don't know that. We played plenty of games with Hogan and still lost, and it's not as if he's exactly winning games off his own boot for Freo.

• Like 2

So for a laugh go to  wce fb page and find the post about the Lewis Jetta penalty

900 posts

wce  posters saying if it Ablett or fyfe he would not get reported 

the classic thou was the frost tackle on petrocelle, why was  not frost charged for a sling tackle :)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Demon Marty said:

(the stupid Weagles crowd crying BALL every bloody time the opposition gets tackled with the ball. F#@*'n mental. )

We do it too (the 'Ball' cryout)... and so does every other supporter group.  

It is just that the Eagles fans create a fortress-like atmosphere that creates an advantage.  

A lot like Victoria Park,  Princes Park & Windy Hill ... back in the day.  And it rarely,  if ever happens at the MCG.   Footy Park was the same but I am not sure about the Adelaide Oval.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, binman said:

I wondered if they might do that Friday night. Not the craziest idea, in part because playing him higher mitigates somewhat his biggest weakness - his kicking ie turnovers are not in such a dangerous spot.

I think it exacerbates it. His biggest weakness is positioning and game sense. On a wing he'd be like a lost child. 

4 hours ago, willmoy said:

Max's palming was sublime Friday. Left and right handed. ....from an old "palmer"

T'anks  Mrs...

Yep,  he returned to his best palming of 2018,  this week...  BUT his marking did drop off.  

We need Marks thru the Mid section. Offensive marking,  and Defensive marking,  thru the mid ground... when we can control the air thru this area,  we have the  pressure-relief valve on our side.

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

It is difficult to quantify and identify our 'rugged' players, currently. However, just general observation tells us that it is missing.

Even Viney has softened, somewhat, but for good reasons - he became a teamwork liability utilising rugged play and was often caught with the ball. That was not progress, at all, but it was inspirational at times.

Back to our game against the Eagles: we have three players with concussion (SalemTSmith, ANB this week) a sign of the Eagles winning strategies (?) - and nearly a fourth (Gawn) after overriding continued bodily interferences and impacts against the rules in the tandem Eagles ruck efforts. He received a deliberate blow from Jetta who was celebrated for his big mark, leaving him (Gawn) on the ground, dazed and in pain; this leg-foot-body blow was step-ladderish and dangerously, wilfully executed.  It is amazing that not one free kick and caution emanated from the two umpires onfield who '...saw nothing... once again in the ruck duels. 

We needed Preuss to assist Gawn and to shelter to some extent those badly laid out. Jones also copped a beauty, likewise Lockhart and Hunt.

We are expected to believe (when it suits the AFL) that 'Such is footy, full of hard knocks'. Time for a few shirtfronts to check the validity of the rules....

OK, first to mind is AVdBerg...  deeBurger.

next Viney.

after that ?  I would say likely Preuss.?

Let me check the list .........................

Following that,  possibly May ?

Other than Viney, we have  bugga-all,  'Up in your face players'.

The other night Eagles have some,  and that Don Sheed looks likely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frankie_d said:

I get it that Frosty is limited, but how about playing him up on the wing when May/Lever get back?

Val Perovic - 6'4" in the old money - went from the Saint to Carlton - and the other way (from wing to defense).

We need the speed...

I agree , but I think Frosty has recently been used sweeping defence

I don't know where he starts,  but if he plays sweeper,  then others must be manning they're forwards ?

Oh, I think Perovic played CHB with the Saints.

Edited by DV8

1 hour ago, frankie_d said:

This - he looks like Dippa.

Not many other similarities, but same build, walk etc.

Agreed,  'f_d'...     He doesn't work anywhere Near as hard as the big Dipper did.   Dipper was always up and down the ground from the wing,   like a lumbering bulldozer.  He worked hard with the ball in his area.  And opponents were always wary.

43 minutes ago, Macca said:

We do it too (the 'Ball' cryout)... and so does every other supporter group.  

It is just that the Eagles fans create a fortress-like atmosphere that creates an advantage.  

A lot like Victoria Park,  Princes Park & Windy Hill ... back in the day.  And it rarely,  if ever happens at the MCG.   Footy Park was the same but I am not sure about the Adelaide Oval.

Fortress,  absolutely...

this is,  one of what we need.

41 minutes ago, A F said:

I think it exacerbates it. His biggest weakness is positioning and game sense. On a wing he'd be like a lost child. 

Not necessarily,  if he plays as the extra back...  releasing a defender like Salem to run/carry the ball far up-field.

Edited by DV8

9 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Fortress,  absolutely...

this is,  one of what we need.

We are a long way off having a fortress-like home ground advantage ... it could happen as I suppose anything is possible but I don't even see the Pies or Tigers creating that sort of atmosphere at the MCG.  Not against the other Victorian teams anyway.  The Eagles have that mantle and their supporters know it. 

Us against the interstate teams?  It's possible but the crowds we draw against the interstate teams aren't large anyway.  Right now,  the club needs to find a way to play high standard consistent footy.  

The rest takes care of itself if that happens. 

Besides which,  I often find that we get a good run from the umpires when we play the interstate teams at the MCG. 

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

We are a long way off having a fortress-like home ground advantage ... it could happen as I suppose anything is possible but I don't even see the Pies or Tigers creating that sort of atmosphere at the MCG.  Not against the other Victorian teams anyway.  The Eagles have that mantle and their supporters know it. 

Us against the interstate teams?  It's possible but the crowds we draw against the interstate teams aren't large anyway.  Right now,  the club needs to find a way to play high standard consistent footy.  

Besides which,  I often find that we get a good run from the umpires when we play the interstate teams at the MCG. 

Given what you say in the rest of that post (and I agree), why do you think we get a good run at the MCG?

Does anyone ever think about what would be said if Omac made the error in the last quarter that Frost did? 

Omac has played well since his VFL game, his ability to spoil is underrated. He will make a few mistakes, like all players do. When he makes a mistake it’s the biggest issue in the world, when Frost makes a mistake it’s widely accepted as a flaw in his game. 

Out defence has been much more solid now that we aren’t playing that stupidly high line that we were playing. Much easier to stop the ball from moving past when we have players playing behind opponents with a sweeper rather than always taking front position. Jetta and Hibberd are two of the most aggressively positioned defenders in our team and without them we have pretty much all defenders taking a much more defensive positions which is interesting 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sue said:

Given what you say in the rest of that post (and I agree), why do you think we get a good run at the MCG?

Just an observation ... it might be crowd related,  who knows.  See,  I don't believe we get a bad run with the umpires in general - so I notice it when we are the beneficiaries.  I'd say most others don't as in my experience,  too many get caught up in the injustice when we're on the receiving end of dodgy decisions.

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Just an observation ... it might be crowd related,  who knows.  See,  I don't believe we get a bad run with the umpires in general - so I notice it when we are the beneficiaries.  I'd say most others don't as in my experience,  too many get caught up in the injustice when we're on the receiving end of dodgy decisions.

But you had just argued we didn't have that crowd factor, so 'who knows' must be it.

It is perfectly natural for supporters to be mad about bad umpire decisions when their teams lose, particularly in close games and not make a fuss about them when they win.  Why would they bother?  I don't read as much into that as you do.   

Many supporters other than you notice when our team gets dodgey decisions in our favour. You seem to think you are Robinson Crusoe in that. You aren't.  

2 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Did any oother Demonlanders hear the absolute baloney coming from Malthouse on the ABC before the match?

He repeatedly made incorrect comments on Melbourne's games this season(factual errors, not opinions).

He still loves the West Coast. Were they on the drugs while he was there, or was it all under Worsfold?

Chris Mainwaring was a Malthouse era star, if anything can be inferred from that.

Just now, sue said:

In general we don't have a crowd factor in terms of influencing the umpires but every now and then we do ... we'd be at the bottom end of the scale though.  Circumstances govern that way of thinking.

As for umpiring decisions in our favour,  that sort of thing is rarely acknowledged on this site ... when it's the other way around though,  it's quite a different story. 

Read any game day thread or post match thread for confirmation. 

In the game on Friday night,  we got the rub of the green in the first half but I didn't see any acknowledgement of that.  Again,  these are just opinions as many here would probably vehemently disagree with me.

In the round 22 game last season at the Eagles there was a thread created here a month beforehand where various people chimed in with how much we were going to be on the receiving end of dodgy decisions.  Didn't happen as there was barely a murmur about the umpires - we won the game of course so there's your probable explanation.

You can keep asking me questions but the bottom line is that I see what everyone else sees ... my reaction is different.  I've given you and others food for thought so we should close off. 

1 hour ago, Macca said:

The run with the umpires is improved against i/state teams that we play at the 'G . I think that it is made possible by a more discerning fan base and more even support for all forms of footy competition at the level - even though it is smaller - which prompts media attention at the national level of the AFL. In comparison, this type of 'coverage' or even game analysis does not always occur when we play interstate. The Alice and Darwin games are good for us in this regard but not on the 'home' territory of the Crows, PortA, WC, Freo, Brizzy, GCS, GWS and Syd. Certainly, albeit only 'out of town', at Geelong. At these games, we are - regardless of form - minor players. The Filth do alright, though, so why can't the Dees?

6 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

The run with the umpires is improved against i/state teams that we play at the 'G . I think that it is made possible by a more discerning fan base and more even support for all forms of footy competition at the level - even though it is smaller - which prompts media attention at the national level of the AFL. In comparison, this type of 'coverage' or even game analysis does not always occur when we play interstate. The Alice and Darwin games are good for us in this regard but not on the 'home' territory of the Crows, PortA, WC, Freo, Brizzy, GCS, GWS and Syd. Certainly, albeit only 'out of town', at Geelong. At these games, we are - regardless of form - minor players. The Filth do alright, though, so why can't the Dees?

If we play to our best and kick straight we're quite capable of beating any team ... the talent is there despite Lever,  May,  Hibberd,  Melksham & Lewis being out injured. 

Gawn,  Brayshaw,  Oliver,  Petracca,  T-Mac,  Salem,  Jones,  Hunt & Harmes can all be very good whilst Frost,  Garlett,  Hore,  Oscar,  Fritsch and a few others can all play their part.

Friday was encouraging despite our poor conversion rate ... I'd say most didn't give us much of a chance but I'm convinced that we kicked ourselves out of it.  And that's a damn side better than not being good enough.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Macca said:

The rest takes care of itself           if that happens. 

I disagree with this. 

We have to make it happen...  a supporting fortess....     this is something our supporters can work on doing. ourselves.

Whilst the club is working on the players,  and on building memberships...  and home bases.

2 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Something to smile about at last.

We may have lost on Friday night, but the good news is that our percentage actually increased! (0.5%!)

don't want to smile yet,  don't want to climb yet.. for what.

I'd rather be 15th right now,  from the start we've had & where we are on the ladder...  until 2 rounds time,  thanks all the same.

Well, it is Sunday night and I am still seething about this loss. Against all the odds, it was a game Melbourne should have won. Injuries are crippling this team, and suffered more in the game. The cupboard is getting bare. Frustrating for everyone.

I read Gawn's article in the Herald Sun. He wanted to point out the fact he said nothing to Vardy the whole game until the incident when Vardy thought he would be brave and have a go at Gawn when he was lying on the ground and bleeding from the mouth after getting kicked in the face. Some people must have been inferring Gawn had been mouthing off at Vardy during the game, and that is why Vardy did what he did. 

No, Vardy is an arrogant sook who was beaten on the night by a better player and didn't like it. A##*hole.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Was at the game on Friday and we had them on the ropes for most of the game. Our defensive pressure was forcing West Coke to kick sideways most of the night. The last quarter we seemed to lose the defensive structures that was a mark of the game until then. It was disappointing to watch. Then realised that we had lost ANB, Salem and Smith in between halfway through the third and into the final siren with concussions. 

Some things I noticed about the game 

1. We have improved, the loss aside, when West Coke had the ball we held up their run and pushed them sideways for most of the game it was awesome to watch.

2. When we connected through the corridor we were slicing through like butter, it reminded me of how we were playing late last season and we just need to see more.

3. Tom Mac's competitiveness and form can sometimes be a detriment. He would be better if he was less selfish and bring others into the game. 

4. O Mac's spoiling is great I also love how he often flops down and squashes opposition players after a spoil don't know if it is intentional or just a happy byproduct.

5. Frosty has only one mode and that is fast and furious (I like it) he is some great form.

6. Hunt is becoming a good link up player

7. I have no idea what is going on with Gus it seems he is up and down in games, I have noticed this in other games its like he has lost his passion for the game.

8. Fritsch needs to be dropped he is out of form and needs to find some in the magoos

9. Oskar Baker played well for his debut 

10. Marty Hore is a great pick up

11. Our back 6 are performing better then expected considering we have Jetta, Lever, May and Lewis out.

12. West Coke fans still suck and are the worst fans in the West and our boys kept them quiet for most of the game. I guess until they got enough alcohol in them to find their voice. 

13. God I hate West Coast please oh please Melbourne based supporters in Rd 21 make sure you give them hell when they come to the MCG.

Others will have different takes but that was mine.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, felixdacat said:

Was at the game on Friday and we had them on the ropes for most of the game. Our defensive pressure was forcing West Coke to kick sideways most of the night. The last quarter we seemed to lose the defensive structures that was a mark of the game until then. It was disappointing to watch. Then realised that we had lost ANB, Salem and Smith in between halfway through the third and into the final siren with concussions. 

Some things I noticed about the game 

1. We have improved, the loss aside, when West Coke had the ball we held up their run and pushed them sideways for most of the game it was awesome to watch.

2. When we connected through the corridor we were slicing through like butter, it reminded me of how we were playing late last season and we just need to see more.

3. Tom Mac's competitiveness and form can sometimes be a detriment. He would be better if he was less selfish and bring others into the game. 

4. O Mac's spoiling is great I also love how he often flops down and squashes opposition players after a spoil don't know if it is intentional or just a happy byproduct.

5. Frosty has only one mode and that is fast and furious (I like it) he is some great form.

6. Hunt is becoming a good link up player

7. I have no idea what is going on with Gus it seems he is up and down in games, I have noticed this in other games its like he has lost his passion for the game.

8. Fritsch needs to be dropped he is out of form and needs to find some in the magoos

9. Oskar Baker played well for his debut 

10. Marty Hore is a great pick up

11. Our back 6 are performing better then expected considering we have Jetta, Lever, May and Lewis out.

12. West Coke fans still suck and are the worst fans in the West and our boys kept them quiet for most of the game. I guess until they got enough alcohol in them to find their voice. 

13. God I hate West Coast please oh please Melbourne based supporters in Rd 21 make sure you give them hell when they come to the MCG.

Others will have different takes but that was mine.

Good take on things. I too thought Bakers debut encouraging. He got caught a few times but will learn from that. 

7 hours ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Does anyone ever think about what would be said if Omac made the error in the last quarter that Frost did? 

Omac has played well since his VFL game, his ability to spoil is underrated. He will make a few mistakes, like all players do. When he makes a mistake it’s the biggest issue in the world, when Frost makes a mistake it’s widely accepted as a flaw in his game. 

Out defence has been much more solid now that we aren’t playing that stupidly high line that we were playing. Much easier to stop the ball from moving past when we have players playing behind opponents with a sweeper rather than always taking front position. Jetta and Hibberd are two of the most aggressively positioned defenders in our team and without them we have pretty much all defenders taking a much more defensive positions which is interesting 

Remember we had exactly the same problem at the start of 2018? It took us 4 or 5 weeks to sort it out. Then 2019 rolled around and we did it again. Can't understand why we didn't learn from last year and start 2019 with a more sensible defensive set-up. Isn't that what coaching is about?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I would allege both JJ...the former probably unawares but must have smelled something in the air surely.

I doubt Essendrug were the leaders in this field.

• Like 1