Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs West Coast

Demonland

16 minutes ago, Aus in Engerland said:

We know the AFL is outcome based on these things. The actual tackle was superb. No way was he getting the arms free, no way was he disposing the ball. Genuine ball and all tackle. Holding the ball all day. The problem obviously occurs when they go to ground. Was it dangerous? Was it careless? Was it a reversal of what was clearly a HTB? I give you an independent view from HB Meyers of The Mongrel Punt.

Lewis Jetta tackled Tim Smith in the last quarter, and Smith was driven into the ground. The commentators cried for a dangerous tackle. The post-game show called for Lewis Jetta to be suspended. The umpire called holding the ball and Lewis Jetta was rightfully awarded the free kick.

That’s right – RIGHTFULLY awarded the free kick.

Let’s get this straight – I am sick to death of players with zero wits about them being bailed out for being pinged holding the ball. It is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith stood there like a stunned mullet and held up the play. It’s not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith made an incorrect assumption, and it is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Smith didn’t hear the umpire calling “play on”.

Tim Smith stopped. Tim Smith got caught. And Tim Smith was caught holding the ball.

Lewis Jetta took advantage of an opponent’s inability to react. He’ll get suspended because that’s what the AFL do these days – suspend people for great tackles, but I am so glad that Jetta was awarded that free kick, and that the Eagles went forward and goaled from it. I’m not a fan of rewarding ineptitude, and anything other than holding the ball would have rewarded Smith for one of the dumbest plays of the season.

What a load of old cobblers and red herrings and straw men.  Indeed, none of the things listed were Lewis' faults, except one - the sling..  Anyway, the penalty Smith already paid was not having a relatively easy shot at goal.  Didn't need a concussion to add to that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

A bit surprised so many on here are bagging so many of our players for mistakes.  It was a fast, high pressure game and mistakes will happen.  And, how many players did we have with more than 100 games experience? 3 maybe 4.   With a bit more experience, Petty would have been animated that he touched the ball, giving the umpire enough doubt to not call it a goal straight off.  With a bit more experience, Smith may have played on and kicked the goal rather than stand there waiting.  With a bit more experience... you get my drift.  But we aren't experienced so lets factor that into our reactions. 

Each and every one of our players played their hearts out for four full quarters!  That is enough for me to look forward to games and enjoy the rest of the season.  We won't make finals but by golly we will have a big say in the shape of the final 8.  Go Dees!

This is fair. Good post as usual, mate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Aus in Engerland said:

We know the AFL is outcome based on these things. The actual tackle was superb. No way was he getting the arms free, no way was he disposing the ball. Genuine ball and all tackle. Holding the ball all day. The problem obviously occurs when they go to ground. Was it dangerous? Was it careless? Was it a reversal of what was clearly a HTB? I give you an independent view from HB Meyers of The Mongrel Punt.

Lewis Jetta tackled Tim Smith in the last quarter, and Smith was driven into the ground. The commentators cried for a dangerous tackle. The post-game show called for Lewis Jetta to be suspended. The umpire called holding the ball and Lewis Jetta was rightfully awarded the free kick.

Let’s get this straight – I am sick to death of players with zero wits about them being bailed out for being pinged holding the ball. It is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith stood there like a stunned mullet and held up the play. It’s not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith made an incorrect assumption, and it is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Smith didn’t hear the umpire calling “play on”.

Tim Smith stopped. Tim Smith got caught. And Tim Smith was caught holding the ball.

Lewis Jetta took advantage of an opponent’s inability to react. He’ll get suspended because that’s what the AFL do these days – suspend people for great tackles, but I am so glad that Jetta was awarded that free kick, and that the Eagles went forward and goaled from it. I’m not a fan of rewarding ineptitude, and anything other than holding the ball would have rewarded Smith for one of the dumbest plays of the season.

Since Smith was just standing there and not attempting to play on it was unnecessary to brutally drive him into the ground. All that was required was Jetta to hug him and whisper “let’s dance” into his ear. Jetta should have got two weeks for his cheap shot. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Jetta given 1 match for the tackle on Smith - for which Smith was penalised for holding the ball. Something not quite right there.

That was one of the most dangerous tackles you could see. One week is a slap on the wrist for nearly pulling someone’s head off their body. What a joke.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

There was a moment late in the 3rd DV where we went to a very shallow zone on their kick in.  They were able to pick their way through it with ease and push into their 50 for an easy goal.  Where was our usual higher press with protection (sweeper) out back???

Was this an instruction from the FD or did we fall into some sort of slack period (mentally/physically?) letting the Eagles off the hook defensively?

Myself, i'm not sure,  as some times i sat and watched the game,  and other times I jumper onto the internet,  with TV over my right shoulder.

It gave me a good feel for the game,  and how we were traveling,  but I am going to study the replay to see exactly where I noticed the change down in our mood/attitude.

One thing I noticed was, at some point in the 3rd Qtr,  we started to tire.

Viney was one who really started to wilt in the 2ndf half.

I fell asleep last night after 2AM without my breathing machine... woke up at 9.00am exhausted, went to Loo..  and back to bed, mask on and tried to get back to sleep.   I ended up getting out of Bed, still tired, at 2.00pm.

Memories faded so I am going to study the recording.

One thing I was very unhappy about last night, in what was mostly a enjoyable game,  was when the Eagles took that mark on Maxy.

The Eagles player ran all the way along the flanks from near the wing...  sprinted really.  I was screaming at the telly at our guy,  to get after him... sprint ya bastard... 

Our player stopped 20 Mtrs behind the Eagle,  when their player stopped around the F/pocket.  Our player was just inside our D50,  when he stopped and looked back for the play.  He still had metres to get back to his opponent. 

Finally he arrived to the eagle player...  when the ball was heading to the goal square.   The eagle player started to run toward the gaol-square,  and the rest is now history.

... I could see it all unfolding ahead of time.  

Had our player been with his man all the way,  he could have had body on his opponent,  all the way to the goal-square...  restricting his attack at the high ball.

They're momentum from that single play, killed us. we didn't have an answer. 

But we allowed the cork to ease out of the bottle,  some time in the 3rd.

Edited by DV8
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I agree that Smith provided a good target. Hopefully he is available for selection next week, the poor bloke just cannot get a clean run at it

He appears more likely,  this year than last,  in my impressions.

I would have drafted/rookied him from his 1st season at Casey.   I liked him/his game, from his first few games.  I could see a fantastic footy canvas,  to draw on and develop.

So, 2 or 3 years earlier.?

I'd like to throw him into the Mid setup in an AFL game.   Tracca's spot in the guts.   Give him some time in there,  to see what eventuates.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Myself, i'm not sure,  as some times i sat and watched the game,  and other times I jumper onto the internet,  with TV over my right shoulder.

It gave me a good feel for the game,  and how we were traveling,  but I am going to study the replay to see exactly where I noticed the change down in our mood/attitude.

One thing I noticed was, at some point in the 3rd Qtr,  we started to tire.

Viney was one who really started to wilt in the 2ndf half.

I fell asleep last night after 2AM without my breathing machine... woke up at 9.00am exhausted, went to Loo..  and back to bed, mask on and tried to get back to sleep.   I ended up getting out of Bed, still tired, at 2.00pm.

Memories faded so I am going to study the recording.

One thing I was very unhappy about last night, in what was mostly a enjoyable game,  was when the Eagles took that mark on Maxy.

The Eagles player ran all the way along the flanks from near the wing...  sprinted really.  I was screaming at the telly at our guy,  to get after him... sprint ya bastard... 

Our player stopped 20 Mtrs behind the Eagle,  when their player stopped around the F/pocket.  Our player was just inside our D50,  when he stopped and looked back for the play.  He still had metres to get back to his opponent. 

Finally he arrived to the eagle player...  when the ball was heading to the goal square.   The eagle player started to run toward the gaol-square,  and the rest is now history.

... I could see it all unfolding ahead of time.  

Had our player been with his man all the way,  he could have had body on his opponent,  all the way to the goal-square...  restricting his attack at the high ball.

They're momentum from that single play, killed us. we didn't have an answer. 

But we allowed the cork to ease out of the bottle,  some time in the 3rd.

You saw alot more and alot more earlier than i did DV but yes old Fritschkreig flopped in that play and was generally very ordinary last night.

Apart from not playing him down back, Goody needs to get him into the gym and build up some core & leg strength between now and 2020.  Too easily pushed off the ball and off balance right now.

Sorry to hear about the health issue there and my best wishes with that side DV ✌?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DV8 said:

He appears more likely,  this year than last,  in my impressions.

I would have drafted/rookied him from his 1st season at Casey.   I liked him/his game, from his first few games.  I could see a fantastic footy canvas,  to draw on and develop.

So, 2 or 3 years earlier.?

I'd like to throw him into the Mid setup in an AFL game.   Tracca's spot in the guts.   Give him some time in there,  to see what eventuates.

Hopefully he gets a run at it DV8. He has been very unlucky until now. All the best to yourself 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

There is another issue from the WC rucks, playing karate blocks on Gawn's arms, wrists and ribs rather than playing the ball in a tap down. Not one of these infringements was noticed by the snot goblins and thus, not one received a penalty. Gawn appealed once, sadly it was ignored. They could not beat Gawny, so they then attempted to injure him. It occurred in marking contests, as well. 

Two of the biggest D grade ruckmen going around.

Vardy got destroyed by Gawn, and his behavior towards him was seriously pathetic. Shows the lack of character from that entire club.

But this is a great example of why Gawn needs Preuss. Opposition teams continually batter and bruise him and eventually he will break. 

3 hours ago, bing181 said:

Jetta given 1 match for the tackle on Smith - for which Smith was penalised for holding the ball. Something not quite right there.

My fiancé, who isn’t really that much of an avid footy fan, said to me that poor umpiring is really making him lose the little interest he has in footy. 

A player gets suspended for an act that earnt him a free kick. I mean try and explain that?! That decision cost us the game. It cost us a goal and lost us a player who was doing a great job shutting down that fat turd McGovern 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, A F said:

Problem with this is that McDonald didn't give the umpire a chance to make the call, because he didn't raise his arms to contest. 

It was still too early, but it was line-ball for me.

Are you serious?

What on earth does that have do with kennedy making an unrealistic attempt at marking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus in Engerland said:

This is a terrible take.

3 hours ago, america de cali said:

Since Smith was just standing there and not attempting to play on it was unnecessary to brutally drive him into the ground. All that was required was Jetta to hug him and whisper “let’s dance” into his ear. Jetta should have got two weeks for his cheap shot. 

This is better.

There was no need whatsoever for Jetta to pin both of Smith's arms and drive him head first into the ground. There was no need for him to take Smith to the ground at all.

The tackle should have been penalised because it was dangerous. The suspension is the right decision, the free kick on the night was incorrect and it had a material impact on the game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

I am shattered who wouldn't be however a step in the right direction. 8 frees to 1 in the last to the Weasles.

Were we watching the same M vs. WC game? To make sure, I watched a replay of Q4. Ignoring non frees to both sides, the paid free kicks were...

1. 19:47 - WC - Cripps in the back. Nothing contentious.
  2. 18:17 - WC - Darling holding. Called by the commentators before the whistle, so clearly there.
  3. 17:55 - M - Harmes taken high by Kennedy. Clearly there and advantage called by the umpire and taken by Frost.
  4. 17:19 - WC - Jetta HTB on Smith. Contentious. Ironic that the only reason this incident happened is because everyone had stopped expecting Yeo to get a free for his tackle 2 seconds earlier.
  5. 15:59 - WC - In the back to Hutchings. Very obvious. Didn't cost anything as ball spilled to another WC player who goaled on advantage so would have been a goal anyway.
  6. 11:21 - WC - Fritsch holding the man on Sheed. Possibly the most obvious free of Q4. What was he thinking?
  7. Note - at this point the TV showed a free count of 5-0 for the quarter, so I had to go back and look at 17:55. The umpire blows his whistle then calls 'advantage, advantage' while giving the right arm play on signal. Clearly paid a free and gave advantage. Just weird this is not in the count.
  8. 6:17 - M - Gawn for holding. Pretty obvious. Umpire calls 'holding, Melbourne, advantage'. Advantage taken by Viney.
  9. 5:23 - M - Jones for holding. Advantage taken by Hunt. Clearly see the call/signal and hear the 'advantage' call.
  10. 00:57 - M - Viney - high contact. Soft but there. Played on with a HB to Oliver.
  11. 00:12 - WC - Hurn - holding the jumper. Pretty obvious.

So the actual free kick count in Q4 was 6-4 in WC favour. Again, ignoring the non frees (for both teams), the only paid free that was in any doubt or in any way contentious in Q4 was the Jetta one. All the others were pretty obvious.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aus in Engerland said:

Were we watching the same M vs. WC game? To make sure, I watched a replay of Q4. Ignoring non frees to both sides, the paid free kicks were...

2. 18:17 - WC - Darling holding. Called by the commentators before the whistle, so clearly there.
  3. 17:55 - M - Harmes taken high by Kennedy. Clearly there and advantage called by the umpire and taken by Frost.
  4. 17:19 - WC - Jetta HTB on Smith. Contentious. Ironic that the only reason this incident happened is because everyone had stopped expecting Yeo to get a free for his tackle 2 seconds earlier.
  5. 15:59 - WC - In the back to Hutchings. Very obvious. Didn't cost anything as ball spilled to another WC player who goaled on advantage so would have been a goal anyway.
  6. 11:21 - WC - Fritsch holding the man on Sheed. Possibly the most obvious free of Q4. What was he thinking?
  7. Note - at this point the TV showed a free count of 5-0 for the quarter, so I had to go back and look at 17:55. The umpire blows his whistle then calls 'advantage, advantage' while giving the right arm play on signal. Clearly paid a free and gave advantage. Just weird this is not in the count.
  8. 6:17 - M - Gawn for holding. Pretty obvious. Umpire calls 'holding, Melbourne, advantage'. Advantage taken by Viney.
  9. 5:23 - M - Jones for holding. Advantage taken by Hunt. Clearly see the call/signal and hear the 'advantage' call.
  10. 00:57 - M - Viney - high contact. Soft but there. Played on with a HB to Oliver.

So the actual free kick count in Q4 was 6-4 in WC favour. Again, ignoring the non frees (for both teams), the only paid free that was in any doubt or in any way contentious in Q4 was the Jetta one. All the others were pretty obvious.

I admire your commitment but I can see this is wrong instantly. There was a throw against Oliver.

The problem with analysing umpiring as you have is that it does not take into account all the non decisions which are just as important. It's fine to say they are all there, but why weren't they when it was our turn. Kennedy's free kick in first quarter happened about 20 more times throughout the game with no decisions.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Aus in Engerland said:

Glad you did the homework . . On No 4 Salem had no prior umpire calls play on  and no free kick given Jetta tackles due to Smith stopping, Who knows why? Both arms pinned  Free kick in front of goals should have been given to Smith but umpire not strong enough to give it. Expecting  Yeo to get a free. ?  Your interpretation . I can pick a few more.   Jetta could be reported.  Stay tuned. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

Are you serious?

What on earth does that have do with kennedy making an unrealistic attempt at marking. 

Because it could be argued that McDonald failed to properly contest in that moment either.

12 hours ago, DV8 said:

The problem with Tracca is he won't build a tank,  if hes left to play a cameo styled game role as some sort of passive opportunist off the flank.  He will never develop properly like this.

I cannot believe how a talented person who is in the AFL,  doesn't work on his fitness to develop an elite running engine.

Kicking...

He leans more forward when on the run  'accelerating',  naturally...   so he doesn't swing his leg across the ball so much...   But when running to kick, his radar is OFF...  because of his

set-shot  'non routine'.

I noticed he got angry once last night,   and that play was brilliant.

IF, he did that constantly he could be a champion.

The club has to change his attitude, or he's a bust.  his weight and his kicking and his efforts are all due to a passive attitude.

...   It's almost as if he feels like he's  'entitled'  to hold a spot in the Jumper.

Dv8, ive enjoyed our discussions on petracca,  for the start of the season i gave him the same leeway we were giving the rest. Cameo fwd who wasnt match fit and could see him blowing out after contests. Still he was a better option than anything at casey. Disagreed with you on throwing him back to defence due to this. While still not being a marathon runner, i believe his match fittness has improved and a different role for him is needed where he controls how involved in the game he is. Does he unseat any of our mids? Possibly baker on a wing, but baker looks to be one that could grow into that role and out preform him in that role, so no. Possibly jones, but the team benifits more from jones as a contested midfielder and petracca fwd(agaisnt w.c messed up more opportunities than he got right, and was one of our worst but managed to be involved in some of our best plays) than jones underperforming in other roles. We have one player playing out of position and stinking it up. Baily Fristch. Last year when played in defence through need struggled and was not afl standard. Same this year, Fristch while might not do the extraordinary as well as pretracca, his value to the team is greater. We've trialed fristch why not petracca now hes a bit more match fit. Its either that or accept him being an ok player who can do elite things but also do the horrendous. 

9 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

There was a moment late in the 3rd DV where we went to a very shallow zone on their kick in.  They were able to pick their way through it with ease and push into their 50 for an easy goal.  Where was our usual higher press with protection (sweeper) out back???

Was this an instruction from the FD or did we fall into some sort of slack period (mentally/physically?) letting the Eagles off the hook defensively?

I remember this and it seemed we defended the switch and angled kick in so well all night, they seemed to change it up by going short a couple of times and hitting the more dangerous kick while we were resetting. While for the first 3 and a half qtrs we were able to cover them, i think our fittness issues were the reason they out ran us to create the loose.

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

This is a terrible take.

This is better.

There was no need whatsoever for Jetta to pin both of Smith's arms and drive him head first into the ground. There was no need for him to take Smith to the ground at all.

The tackle should have been penalised because it was dangerous. The suspension is the right decision, the free kick on the night was incorrect and it had a material impact on the game.

It was obvious to all on the night and should have been a lay down free kick to Smith.  Obvious to all except all four umpires who had vision of the incident.  No other players were involved in the play yet no umpire called the dangerous tackle (or at worst a ball up as he had no chance to dispose the ball with both arms clearly pinned)...

lqakawxd0a211.jpg

• Love 1

The only thing I see wrong with Trac is his current kicking for goal yips, played another great game otherwise.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Two of the biggest D grade ruckmen going around.

Vardy got destroyed by Gawn, and his behavior towards him was seriously pathetic. Shows the lack of character from that entire club.

But this is a great example of why Gawn needs Preuss. Opposition teams continually batter and bruise him and eventually he will break. 

My fiancé, who isn’t really that much of an avid footy fan, said to me that poor umpiring is really making him lose the little interest he has in footy. 

A player gets suspended for an act that earnt him a free kick. I mean try and explain that?! That decision cost us the game. It cost us a goal and lost us a player who was doing a great job shutting down that fat turd McGovern 

By necessity for the Eagles, it was an intended act at some point of the quarter. McGovern was controlled by an unknown Demon newbie - we cannot have that - and the umpires agreed? 

17 hours ago, bing181 said:

Yep, something amiss in the way that incident panned out, isn't there? Free kick, sling to ground for full body weight contact on Smith's head, given goal at a critical moment and ground position rather than an appropriate (and level playing field) bounce, resultant public criticism and outrage of the overt and deliberate aggression to cause injury, subsequent suspension. Four points and a loss of a player in the game. Totally unjustifiable umpiring. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DV8 said:

This is why our Rodnney Grinter's and other aggressive players are So important to the Team

Damn correct. Identifiable roles for Preuss and Trac, perhaps. May, most certainly on return. There is a very fond series of memories about how effective - albeit unconventional - that Rodney Grinter was when needed and his run-on into the game as if nothing had happened. Uplifting for the Team. In his healthier days - about three years of tough stuff - Ray Biffen would also sort out a few transgressions as part of his game plan. It stomped out nearly all offences against Demon players. He had to wear a back brace as a result of his unquestionable sense of loyalty and commitment to the Team. Neitz would do it, at times, as well but subtlety was his forte and few transgressed in this regard once 'spoken to...'  We need a few father figures right now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

The problem with analysing umpiring as you have is that it does not take into account all the non decisions which are just as important. It's fine to say they are all there, but why weren't they when it was our turn. Kennedy's free kick in first quarter happened about 20 more times throughout the game with no decisions.

That is exactly right. Those sort of blocks occur at almost every marking contest with multiple players contesting. Gawn gets blocked like that all the time.

The other issue is where the free gets paid. That ridiculous decisions gifts them a goal, so a huge impact. The failure to pay a blatant throw (albeit one that is hard to see) gifts them another. 

When you consider the Smith error, which unquestionably was wrong and me likely would have resulted in a dees goal, and the fact we did not receive any frees for blocks that occurred near our goals then it is hard not argue the umpiring errors had a bearing on the result of the game (Yes, yes Macca we lost it with our rubbish kicks for goals so I AM NOT BLAMING THE UMPIRES). In isolation that is not great  but it happens.  But where it is the norm rather than the exception the supposedly elite competion has a real problem. And no amount of head I'm in the sand, let's not bag the umpires, it is a difficult game to umpire palaver will change that.

But lets be clear I don't blame the umpires , i blame the AFL for not biting the bullet and having professional umpires like other elite sports.

• Like 1