Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs West Coast

Demonland

6 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Smith kept McGovern really quite for the first 3 quarters but he dominated the last when he could roam free. Think goody actually made the right call, can't help Smith going down. 

McGovern got off the leash,  after tSmith got smashed into the turf.  The only reason.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DV8 said:

McGovern got off the leash,  after tSmith got smashed into the turf.  The only reason.

Almost a Weagles game plan to save face for the fans.

4 hours ago, binman said:

And to add to that list a non 50 when a wc player ran within a foot of one of our players. So frustrating after harmed getting pinged twice and being further away and not causing a my interference against the hawks.

Umpiring was appaling. We should write to the AFL for  an explanation of the Smith free.

There is another issue from the WC rucks, playing karate blocks on Gawn's arms, wrists and ribs rather than playing the ball in a tap down. Not one of these infringements was noticed by the snot goblins and thus, not one received a penalty. Gawn appealed once, sadly it was ignored. They could not beat Gawny, so they then attempted to injure him. It occurred in marking contests, as well. 

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Dude, tackle numbers are not much to read into. you get tackles credited for just lying on top of the pack before the ump call for a ball up.

our midfield smashed theirs all game. goal kicking was the sole reason we lost. and a bit of the umpiring.

Goal kicking was not the sole reason we lost.  

We went conservative,  stopping our aggression at some point in the 3rd Qtr.  This took pressure Off the Eagles and they were able to slowly build back into the game.    With that, they took control back,  and found they're mojo again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah the worst non call was Hurn playing on from a kickout and running close to the 50m line without taking a bounce

Yeah sorry dr there were so many bad calls that one escaped my memory. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stranga said:

The problem is he has no tank or workrate so can't play midfield. He can't kick and has no pace. Misses easy goals that turn games. Enough is enough be has to go back to Casey and then be traded.  It may not be until Hannan van come in and replace him fwd.

The problem with Tracca is he won't build a tank,  if hes left to play a cameo styled game role as some sort of passive opportunist off the flank.  He will never develop properly like this.

I cannot believe how a talented person who is in the AFL,  doesn't work on his fitness to develop an elite running engine.

Kicking...

He leans more forward when on the run  'accelerating',  naturally...   so he doesn't swing his leg across the ball so much...   But when running to kick, his radar is OFF...  because of his

set-shot  'non routine'.

I noticed he got angry once last night,   and that play was brilliant.

IF, he did that constantly he could be a champion.

The club has to change his attitude, or he's a bust.  his weight and his kicking and his efforts are all due to a passive attitude.

...   It's almost as if he feels like he's  'entitled'  to hold a spot in the Jumper.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Almost a Weagles game plan to save face for the fans.

They seemed to come out after half time to try to level up the rotations...  rotations they were down on due to injuries. 

Trying to bring a heap of aggression to us.  We didn't like it.

...  we go into our 'shells',  when oppositions get physical with us...   Just like back in the 80's.

This team/club gets timid,  when opposition get physically aggressive with us.   We Have Got to change this feature of our club.

This is why our Rodnney Grinter's and other aggressive players are So important to the Team,  Club,  and to the Supporters...    With that Our supporter go into their shells...  and start to boo and get Negative..  and then start to put negative feedback out at our team.

Instead of getting more aggressive and hostile at the opposition,   and to will our own team on...

We turn on the umpires,  and on our Own side,  in a critical manner,  at our own players mistakes... unless a Player shows a heroic act.

We have to get more uplifting in an aggressive way,  for Our Team...  and against the opposition.  When WE go negative.... So does our players... they Hear the tones amd wehn we put out Fear in tones, Our Players perceive that,  and instinctively react similarly.

We set the Tone people,  at the ground.

7 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Dude, tackle numbers are not much to read into. you get tackles credited for just lying on top of the pack before the ump call for a ball up.

our midfield smashed theirs all game. goal kicking was the sole reason we lost. and a bit of the umpiring.

We went conservative,  stopping our aggression at some point in the 3rd Qtr.  This took pressure Off the Eagles and they were able to slowly build back into the game.    With that, they took control back,  and found they're mojo again.

6 hours ago, Nasher said:

Great post, particularly agree with your analysis of Preuss vs Smith. I thought Smith was important last night - not just for the mobility he adds as you said, but also for the times he didn’t fly when TMac had a one-out. That’s how he got his goal - he stayed down and it fell out the back, but a few minutes earlier he stood to allow TMac to fly, which should have resulted in a mark. 

He forced accountability in their defenders, which disappeared as soon as he was knocked out.

I also think the rating of Preuss around here is way over the top too. I’m a fan, but in a “now we’re not stuffed if we lose Max” kind of way. He’s a lumbering dinosaur as a forward, which makes him useless defensively. The likes of McGovern could defend against him and still peel off, all with their eyes closed.

I agree that Smith provided a good target. Hopefully he is available for selection next week, the poor bloke just cannot get a clean run at it

• Like 5

Let's keep perspective here. Half of our Casey team (eight players under 50 games) travel to Perth. Play a magnificent three quarters, get stitched by the umpires in the final term, and nearly pull off an incredible smash and grab win.

Yes, poor kicking is poor football, but the overall sentiment should be positive. The coaching for the most part was brilliant. The effort superb. We have had luck in the last two games. Last night wasn't to be. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

We were 19 points up nearing 3/4 time. We then did what we always do and gave up goals. 

About Vardy, at least his coach had a word with him saying it wasn't a great look. 

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/simpson-speaks-to-vardy-after-afl-incident-c-119514

Simpson is all class imo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manny100 said:

We got ripped off big time by the umps. Missed a throw - WCE goal. 2 Goal turnaround on the Smith incident - disgraceful umpiring. We now know why Rampe cracked it - Smith had the same issue except he was out to it and could not utter a word. Just as well as the AFL would have fined him his entire seasons wage. The umpires need vocal lessons so they can be heard.

On the WC site they are saying exactly the same about the umpiring, but that it favoured Melbourne all night. I give you...

'I've seen some **** umpiring and heard some **** commentating in my time, but that takes the cake. The non holding the ball decisions all night did my head in. Came home and rewatched last half and am even more annoyed by the crap umpiring. The commentators were literally barracking for Melbourne and when we drew at 61 all in that last quarter, there was just silence. They could not think of one thing to say. Just silence, awkward silence.

After the game all they could talk about was the ONE instance where we may have thrown the ball (when Melbourne got away with it multiple times all night)'

And I must confess that I thought the umpiring was pretty poor. But it was equally poor for both teams. Missed frees for throws both ways. If there is one umpiring positive, it was that they were consistently bad!

And the general consensus all round is that Vardy was a tool for the Gawn incident. Was thrashed all night and did a ****head act.

'Was just watching the replay. Vardy getting into Gawn for being the step ladder for Ryan was not on. Vardy had been absolutely destroyed by Gawn, doing that was cheap.'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

We were 19 points up nearing 3/4 time. We then did what we always do and gave up goals. 

Unfortunately most of the goals they got were from turnovers from us or non decisions.

Kennedy goal - Non decision for unrealistic attempt and completely taking oMac out of the contest.

Ryan goal - Brayshaw slipping over and coughing it up but also a brilliant desperate slap on from Yeo which you won’t often see.

Cripps goal - Turn over handball from Fritsch that went to Vardy.

Dom Sheed goal - Non decision for throw

It’s important to note WCE won the inside 50 count in the last qtr and also improved their contested qtr that game

If you look at the possession heat map you’ll also see that we had much fewer disposals in the middle of the ground as well in the last qtr. I think WCE were either instructed to block the corridor or we were just playing more safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

There is another issue from the WC rucks, playing karate blocks on Gawn's arms, wrists and ribs rather than playing the ball in a tap down. Not one of these infringements was noticed by the snot goblins and thus, not one received a penalty. Gawn appealed once, sadly it was ignored. They could not beat Gawny, so they then attempted to injure him. It occurred in marking contests, as well. 

That is correct 56.  They were also running straight at Maxy without an eye on the ball on a few occasions ...again...completely ignored by the corrupt snot goblins!

They have about a 4 goal advantage playing at home with the armchair provided.  Good luck beating that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Unfortunately most of the goals they got were from turnovers from us or non decisions.

Kennedy goal - Non decision for unrealistic attempt and completely taking oMac out of the contest.

Ryan goal - Brayshaw slipping over and coughing it up but also a brilliant desperate slap on from Yeo which you won’t often see.

Cripps goal - Turn over handball from Fritsch that went to Vardy.

Dom Sheed goal - Non decision for throw

It’s important to note WCE won the inside 50 count in the last qtr and also improved their contested qtr that game

If you look at the possession heat map you’ll also see that we had much fewer disposals in the middle of the ground as well in the last qtr. I think WCE were either instructed to block the corridor or we were just playing more safe.

IMO the energy used to barn storm our 50 in the first three quarters was pretty much all we had left in the tank ABG.  Unfortunately we didn't put the score on the board by that point and as Goody said we left the door open and they had a little more left in the tank.

I also noticed at one point (mid way through the 2nd quarter or so) we had already used 37 interchange vs their 30.  This may have caught up with us later in the match and the Eagles might have had a few spare to press a late advantage here.

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

There was a moment late in the 3rd DV where we went to a very shallow zone on their kick in.  They were able to pick their way through it with ease and push into their 50 for an easy goal.  Where was our usual higher press with protection (sweeper) out back???

Was this an instruction from the FD or did we fall into some sort of slack period (mentally/physically?) letting the Eagles off the hook defensively?

Edited by Rusty Nails

4 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

IMO the energy used to barn storm our 50 in the first three quarters was pretty much all we had left in the tank ABG.  Unfortunately we didn't put the score on the board by that point and as Goody said we left the door open and they had a little more left in the tank.

I also noticed at one point (mid way through the 2nd quarter or so) we had already used 37 interchange vs their 30.  This may have caught up with us later in the match and the Eagles might have had a few spare to press a late advantage here.

Yeah I think we probably did run out of petrol tickets in the last qtr. A 5 or 6 goal lead at 3qtr time would have got us over the line, but unfortunately as we all know, we didn’t take our chances.

4 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Jetta given 1 match for the tackle on Smith - for which Smith was penalised for holding the ball. Something not quite right there.

We know the AFL is outcome based on these things. The actual tackle was superb. No way was he getting the arms free, no way was he disposing the ball. Genuine ball and all tackle. Holding the ball all day. The problem obviously occurs when they go to ground. Was it dangerous? Was it careless? Was it a reversal of what was clearly a HTB? I give you an independent view from HB Meyers of The Mongrel Punt.

Lewis Jetta tackled Tim Smith in the last quarter, and Smith was driven into the ground. The commentators cried for a dangerous tackle. The post-game show called for Lewis Jetta to be suspended. The umpire called holding the ball and Lewis Jetta was rightfully awarded the free kick.

That’s right – RIGHTFULLY awarded the free kick.

Let’s get this straight – I am sick to death of players with zero wits about them being bailed out for being pinged holding the ball. It is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith stood there like a stunned mullet and held up the play. It’s not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Tim Smith made an incorrect assumption, and it is not Lewis Jetta’s fault that Smith didn’t hear the umpire calling “play on”.

Tim Smith stopped. Tim Smith got caught. And Tim Smith was caught holding the ball.

Lewis Jetta took advantage of an opponent’s inability to react. He’ll get suspended because that’s what the AFL do these days – suspend people for great tackles, but I am so glad that Jetta was awarded that free kick, and that the Eagles went forward and goaled from it. I’m not a fan of rewarding ineptitude, and anything other than holding the ball would have rewarded Smith for one of the dumbest plays of the season.