Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

Positives. liking the gradual return to form of Tmac, Trac, Frost  and Hunt. Hannan, Oliver,  Gawn and Salem really good as per normal. I thought we were physically hard at it the whole game. Won most stats and deserved the win. Should have won by a lot more than a point! 

Negatives. Critical fumbles, slipping over, missing easy shots on goal, ball bouncing off hands.  Brayshaws  loss of form, Garlett looking lost again, Viney all heart but v limited ability to impact by hand or foot. Not sure Keilty is ready ( sorry Drukn) 

Cant wait to get lever back into this team.

• Like 2

I went to the game with a Kiwi friend who had never seen a game.  I just cringed with embarrassment all game that I could possibly use this abomination of skills to showcase our great game to a newbie!!  Well, until the last couple of minutes!  Man, that was really something to behold!  Really believed we were beaten when they got the goal to put them in front with 30 minutes on the time clock!  How agony can turn to sheer delight in a matter of moments!  Marty Hore's goal was a thing of sheer beauty to behold!  Was thrilled to think we'd sneak away with a draw.  Think the timer must have fallen asleep to let the clock keep running to enable our final, limp effort to get us past the post.

Oh, and my Kiwi friend said after the game that she actually enjoyed it, in spite of the error-riddled display!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Positives. liking the gradual return to form of Tmac, Trac, Frost  and Hunt. Hannan, Oliver,  Gawn and Salem really good as per normal. I thought we were physically hard at it the whole game. Won most stats and deserved the win. Should have won by a lot more than a point! 

Negatives. Critical fumbles, slipping over, missing easy shots on goal, ball bouncing off hands.  Brayshaws  loss of form, Garlett looking lost again, Viney all heart but v limited ability to impact by hand or foot. Not sure Keilty is ready ( sorry Drukn) 

Cant wait to get lever back into this team.

Great to hear that Hannan is in good form, since he isn't playing at the moment.  We desperately need him back though.  I never thought he was such an important part of our forward line, but with him gone, I realise he is most things we are missing up forward:

Leads at the ball carrier with pace;

Gets to the fall of the ball and mops up the crumbs;

Can take a pack mark;

Has pace out on the flanks and delivers well inside 50;

Good at kicking that mercurial goal out of nowhere.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Vagg said:

I went to the game with a Kiwi friend who had never seen a game.  I just cringed with embarrassment all game that I could possibly use this abomination of skills to showcase our great game to a newbie!!  Well, until the last couple of minutes!  Man, that was really something to behold!  Really believed we were beaten when they got the goal to put them in front with 30 minutes on the time clock!  How agony can turn to sheer delight in a matter of moments!  Marty Hore's goal was a thing of sheer beauty to behold!  Was thrilled to think we'd sneak away with a draw.  Think the timer must have fallen asleep to let the clock keep running to enable our final, limp effort to get us past the post.

Oh, and my Kiwi friend said after the game that she actually enjoyed it, in spite of the error-riddled display!

Sign her up for the Red and Blue.  She will probably hate you for it, but one closer to 50K

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GCDee said:

A wins a win... 

But Goody saying the conditions were slippery was just and out and out lie. My 4 year old was cleaner with her kicks, marks and handballs on the ground after the game than all of our team bar Salem.

It was great to see ANB out and about with the people having a kick after the gane.

TMac said post game that it was dewy and slippery. Another filthy liar too I suppose.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, loges said:

Why?

Because it is an awful 2 minutes of football. Not only do we gift the Suns easy transition after multiple fumbles, hospital handpasses and the standard Melbourne 2019 crap, our key forward drops an uncontested mark and ends up with a consolation prize behind by just throwing his leg into the air.

Make no mistake if any 2 minute period epitomizes where we are at, it is those 2 minutes. Only Melbourne could make a win look so bad. We are far and away the worst team in the comp atm that is scrapping together wins. Our % is a reflection of this. The amount of ball we won vs our scoring output shows how far we have regressed. And the last two minutes had it all on show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

I was thinking of you ah! you never seem happy for TMAC  he won us the game you wanted him dropped. You need to jump on board a win to make you feel good. I hope you sleep well tonight. Pleasant Dreams. Try supporting not whinging. I won't waste my breathe on you again.

Had a great nights sleep thanks....

Can't see where I've been whingeing at all, just looking at where we sit this year with an objective viewpoint not red & blue fans eyes.

I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Tom is really struggling at the moment, his form line is reminiscent of a few years back when he went from one of the most promising defenders in the game to nearly losing his place in the team before his renaissance as a forward.

He looked to be the answer as a key forward, his strength being his marking and accurate kicking both of which seem to have deserted him.

I hope the winning point might turn his confidence and form around...

• Like 1

Nothing much to enjoy about yesterday.

Not even the glimpses of co-ordinated play that we saw for a quarter or so against the Hawks.

The injuries have decimated team consistency but the lack of form by several of the big names is worrying.

The bright spots are the form of Hore and Lockhart albeit that the latter had a relatively quiet game yesterday.

Next week will probably be ugly and we will play the Eagles back into premiership form.

If Weideman is fit I would play him and Preuss up forward giving us the option to switch T Mac down back. To keep the Eagles to a losing score will require a coaching masterpiece.. something we have sadly lacked for the last few years. The old blunt bulldozer approach will certainly not suffice.

Actually there was one bright spot and that is the inaccuracy. Fix that and it should add another four goals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sam Collins from the Suns will be a very good player for them over the next fee years.

Fee? Somebody knocked out your two front teeth Dazzle?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vagg said:

It was like a rugby maul in parts

Gee, Goodwin's an arrogant coach.

WTF did we revert to our system from the Richmond game when we finally sorted our game style out last week?

I was really hoping we'd gain some confidence from that. Instead, the game style this week sapped any confidence we had. 

Were we tired? Our decision making was terrible and our skill level managed to become worse as the game went on. I'm beginning to think we're in trouble with Goodwin. I just don't understand why we'd be arrogant enough to think we could beat Gold Coast with the bomb game when we'd failed to beat an ordinary Port, Essendon and St Kilda with the same style.

And watch a replay of the last 2 to 3 minutes and Jones was simply horrible defensively. As a leader it simply wasn't good enough.

I reckon we can put a line through a couple of players too: Hore, Stretch and Oscar McDonald. Not good enough I'm afraid.

Edited by A F

27 minutes ago, A F said:

WTF did we revert to our system from the Richmond game when we finally sorted our game style out last week?

I was really hoping we'd gain some confidence from that. Instead, the game style this week sapped any confidence we had. 

Were we tired? Our decision making was terrible and our skill level managed to become worse as the game went on. I'm beginning to think we're in trouble with Goodwin. I just don't understand why we'd be arrogant enough to think we could beat Gold Coast with the bomb game when we'd failed to beat an ordinary Port, Essendon and St Kilda with the same style.

And watch a replay of the last 2 to 3 minutes and Jones was simply horrible defensively. As a leader it simply wasn't good enough.

I reckon we can put a line through a couple of players too: Hore, Stretch and Oscar McDonald. Not good enough I'm afraid.

I agree with your comments about Stretch & OMac. Perhaps reserve judgement on Hore? He's only played about 3-4 matches.

An observation.  In terms of ladder position/finals prospects, no real difference between a draw and a win yesterday. Our percentage is so bad, MFC will have no chance on getting ahead of teams with equal numbers of wins. 

Edited by bingers
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, A F said:

Was it Goodwin being arrogant or the players.  In particular the mids kicking i50? 

Jones, Stretch, and Viney were the worst offenders and kicked to advantage of the GCS defenders who continuously marked.   Hopefully, high bombs are not coaching instructions but just lack of skill or footy IQ.  I thought our fwds worked hard to try and make good on the rubbish delivery. 

Goodwin had a +1 in defence as per last week, until Dew decided to even up the numbers.  And we played more man-on-man than zone, so less goals over the top (at least that is how it looked on tv). 

Having said that 3 defenders had shots on goal (Lewis, Frost and Hore) so clearly they were pushing far up the ground.   Again not sure if it was the game plan, the GCS fwds taking them there (Dew crowding our fwd line) or our players being stupid (other teams keep their defensive arc around the middle of the ground when opp crowd  our fwd line).  While I'm on it why on earth was Frost taking a set shot for goal from outside 50 when a shorter pass was in order.  Its not as if kicking is a strength. 

Would agree with a line thru Stretch and Oscar but unsure on Hore.  Really liked his coolness to slot that goal and his modesty in not even thinking to celebrate his first AFL goal - he knew there was not time and need to keep focus.  A lesson some of his more seasoned team mates can learn.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

TMac said post game that it was dewy and slippery. Another filthy liar too I suppose.

I had a kick after siren it was slippery so from my perspective comment by Goody and co were accurate. Sometime when I read post you would recon we lost. We actually dominated the game but our defence due to lack of ball carrier pressure let in to many goals. Suns had only six fifty entries in last but kicked four goals. 

The difference in this game at the end was Max Gawn. Whilst our season maybe toast Max last two clearances out of the center were fantastic. He is the best ruck in the comp (and he ours). While he plays we are alway a chance and when I am down having the big man alway give me a lift.

Finally big shout out to  Tarax. Alway love meeting random Dees supporters and how many times do they show up as Demonlanders. The guy a legend hasn’t missed a game (any game) since Flower power. True commitment when you consider it includes 187. Great to chat and relive our common misery over 50 years. There are games, wins losses but there alway the club and May there forever be misery and all! Go Dees

• Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, A F said:

Tough call on Hore kick the winning goal yet he not good enough. Thought he showed plenty and coolness to convert magic.

• Like 4

Biggest positives from last night....

The Bulk of the mid field is back firing.  Salem having an outstanding year.  Clarry back to his early season form and that of last year.  Harmes up on last year and he and Jones have had two very solid week.

Viney (slowly getting there).

The negatives...

Obviously the injuries and almost zero depth at Casey.

The horrid lack of connection coming inside 50.

The players who were either way off their 2018 levels or still a fair way off it.....

Gus, Gawn, Tracc, T-Mac, Oscar and Jeffy.  Gawn and T-Mac struggled a little with the dewy conditions.  Gawn has shown recent very good form and not a concern.  T-Mac still working his way back and with 3 goals and the winning point he certainly did what you would expect from any key forward last night.  Slowly getting his mojo back.

Tracc, Gus and Jeffy are the guys who really need to get a move on.  Get those three into some form, we get some injured coming back, somehow cover Hibb in the short term, get the mids and forwards connecting...and we are on track for a return to 2018 form.

• Like 1

Not seen a lot of love for Fritsch.  Thought he played his best game of the year.  A way to go to get back to his best but a really consistent game.  Cut off a lot of offensive efforts.  Was clean in marking and disposal.  Will only get better from here.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, praha said:

Because it is an awful 2 minutes of football. Not only do we gift the Suns easy transition after multiple fumbles, hospital handpasses and the standard Melbourne 2019 crap, our key forward drops an uncontested mark and ends up with a consolation prize behind by just throwing his leg into the air.

Make no mistake if any 2 minute period epitomizes where we are at, it is those 2 minutes. Only Melbourne could make a win look so bad. We are far and away the worst team in the comp atm that is scrapping together wins. Our % is a reflection of this. The amount of ball we won vs our scoring output shows how far we have regressed. And the last two minutes had it all on show.

Agree 100% though even last year our conversion of inside 50s to score was terrible.
Just this year it's worse which reflects very poorly on Goodwin IMO.

Edited by Fork 'em

2 hours ago, praha said:

If the last 2 minutes, where we won a game that was lost, epitomises where we're at then I'm quite happy. It's the rest of the game that was the problem. How often do you think a game has been won from the position we we're in 1% I reckon.

The last 2 mins were a comedy of errors that show we make hard work of everything.
They didn't give up though which was pleasing.

Edited by Fork 'em

53 minutes ago, A F said:

Hore has played 5 games and has shown a bit IMO.

• Like 2