Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Essendon VFL v Casey Demons - Round 6

12 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

it was this little two foot job on the far wing. Even when it was pointed out to me I had to ask again.

Every other VFL ground I have been to have had prominent large scoreboards and some even have a second.

The food was very mundane and there didn't seem to be any craft food/beer in sight.

The strange thing was that there were no gates.. ie all were open. So I saved my $5 away fee. (Obviously they don't have many paying guests or perhaps when you are as wealthy as th Bombers you don't need it !!)

I was there yesterday DJ, a couple of years since my last visit and back then they had a decent scoreboard. I fortunately took my binoculars, yes folks it is that bad. 

I was surprised that Casey won so easily, Preuss took them apart even though I though he was used sparingly. It might be my imagination but I reckon he was used sparingly with a trip to WA in mind.

I watch a couple of players closely ( well I tried ).

while I thought Sparrow  and Petty did there jobs well at this level Baker was the only one that looked worthy of a senior game later in the season. Of the kids I liked the game of Chandler, he was probably not in the top half dozen but showed some promise.

If we don't pick Smith for a forward role in the team for Perth we have rocks in our heads.

While he is never going to be a very good player at senior level he is a solid mark and a good kick for goal. Yesterday he was used around the centre quite a bit with good effect. Based on yesterday's form he and the Giant are the only ones I would pick for senior duties in WA. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

BOILOVER by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons caused the boilover of the season to date when they took on and beat the undefeated ladder leaders Essendon VFL by 41 points at Windy Hill. 

The stunning result which was achieved with a season low of eight AFL-listed players, will surely kickstart the Demons’ ailing season after they lost their last two matches as a result of some poor third quarter fade outs against quality opposition.

Casey got off to a great start with a mid-air soccer volley goal from Jimmy Munro about three minutes into the opening term. Playing strong contested football with a winning ruck and with the wind at their backs, the Demons had the bulk of the play and scored the game’s first three goals before the Bombers struck back with a late goal with a minute to go before the siren ended the quarter. 

The crowd was expecting Essendon to assert itself with the breeze but it was Tim Smith who struck a devastating blow with two goals in the the first five minutes of the second term. A couple of turnovers and a fifty metre penalty temporarily turned the tide but a late goal just before half time to Braydon Preuss, his second for the afternoon, had the Demons in front by 16 points.

Casey’s expected third term fade out did not materialise but, to the contrary, it became the “premiership quarter for the team. After a slow start in which scoring was at a premium and skipper Mitch White scored his team’s only goal in almost 20 minutes of play, the floodgates opened. Smith took a strong mark to goal and added another a minute or so later. By quarter’s end, the margin was 46 points.

The Demons retained their total dominance well into the final term and relaxed in the later stages of the game to allow the home side a few junk time goals to run home 41 point winners.

It was Preuss, and to a lesser extent, his partner in crime Liam Wale-Buxton, who were the catalysts for the Demons’ turnaround such was their dominance in the ruck throughout the game. This division has been Casey’s Achilles Heel since Jake Spencer left at the end of 2017 but it was its strong point against the Bombers. Preuss had 40 hit outs to go with his 16 disposals and two goals and between the two talls, they gave their midfielders an armchair ride.

The beneficiaries were Jimmy Munro, Tom Sparrow, Corey Wagner and Oskar Baker who is starting to return to his pre-injury form of last year. 

Skipper White and Smith gave the team a focus in front of goals while youngster Tom Freeman also continues to develop nicely. James Jordon and Kade Chandler were also good contributors on the day and Harry Petty continues to develop as a key defender.

The Demons return to Casey Fields next Saturday for another tough assignment - this time against stand alone Port Melbourne.

2019 Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear VFL

Casey Demons 3.2.20 6.2.38 11.4.70 15.6.96

Essendon VFL 1.2.8 3.4.22 3.6.24 7.7.49

Goals 

Casey Demons T Smith 4 White 3 Baker Munro Preuss 2 Chandler

Essendon VFL Ridley 2 Begley Fennel Gown Hocking Langford Younan 

Best

Casey Demons Preuss Smith Petty Baker T Freeman Munro 

Essendon VF L Dea Langford Clarke Hocking McNiece Hartley

Statistics

Oskar Baker 2 goals 1 behind kicks handballs disposals marks tackles 82 dream team points  
Toby Bedford 1 behind 2 kicks 2 handballs 4 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 19 dream team points  
Jaxon Briggs 5 kic ks 2 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 33 dream tea m points  
Kade Chandler 1 goal 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 40 dream team points  
Jake Di Pasquale 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 3 tackles 63 dream team points  
Tom Freeman 15 kicks 1 handball 16 disposals 12 marks 4 tackles 100 dream team points  
Mitch Gent 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 60 dream team points  
Jack Hutchins 10 kicks 2 handballs 12 disposals 8 marks 1 tackle 59 dream team points  
James Jordon 15 kicks 2 handballs 17 disposals 6 marks 68 dream team points  
Mykelti Lefau 1 goals 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 26 dream team points  
Mitchell Lewis 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 4 marks 41 dream team points
Nick Lowden 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 6 marks 48 dream team points  
Tom McCaffrey 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 47 dream team points  
James Munro 2 goals 9 kicks 9 handballs 18 disposals 2 marks 8 tackles 92 dream team points  
Harrison Petty 10 kicks 3 handballs 13 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 63 dream team points  
Braydon Preuss 2 goals 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 6 marks 1 tackle 40 hit outs 113 dream team points  
Aidan Quigley 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackles 21 dream team points  
Tim Smith 4 goals 1 behinds 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles 1 hit out 86 dream team points  
Tom Sparrow 12 kicks 3 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points  
Cory Stockdale 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 22 dream team points  
Corey Wagner 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 9 tackles 83 dream team points  
Liam Wale-Buxton 1 kick 5 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 4 tackles 30 hit outs 59 dream team points  
Mitchell White 3 goals 1 behind 11 kicks 11 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 74 dream team points  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

BOILOVER by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons caused the boilover of the season to date when they took on and beat the undefeated ladder leaders Essendon VFL by 41 points at Windy Hill. 

The stunning result which was achieved with a season low of eight AFL-listed players, will surely kickstart the Demons’ ailing season after they lost their last two matches as a result of some poor third quarter fade outs against quality opposition.

Casey got off to a great start with a mid-air soccer volley goal from Jimmy Munro about three minutes into the opening term. Playing strong contested football with a winning ruck and with the wind at their backs, the Demons had the bulk of the play and scored the game’s first three goals before the Bombers struck back with a late goal with a minute to go before the siren ended the quarter. 

The crowd was expecting Essendon to assert itself with the breeze but it was Tim Smith who struck a devastating blow with two goals in the the first five minutes of the second term. A couple of turnovers and a fifty metre penalty temporarily turned the tide but a late goal just before half time to Braydon Preuss, his second for the afternoon, had the Demons in front by 16 points.

Casey’s expected third term fade out did not materialise but, to the contrary, it became the “premiership quarter for the team. After a slow start in which scoring was at a premium and skipper Mitch White scored his team’s only goal in almost 20 minutes of play, the floodgates opened. Smith took a strong mark to goal and added another a minute or so later. By quarter’s end, the margin was 46 points.

The Demons retained their total dominance well into the final term and relaxed in the later stages of the game to allow the home side a few junk time goals to run home 41 point winners.

It was Preuss, and to a lesser extent, his partner in crime Liam Wale-Buxton, who were the catalysts for the Demons’ turnaround such was their dominance in the ruck throughout the game. This division has been Casey’s Achilles Heel since Jake Spencer left at the end of 2017 but it was its strong point against the Bombers. Preuss had 40 hit outs to go with his 16 disposals and two goals and between the two talls, they gave their midfielders an armchair ride.

The beneficiaries were Jimmy Munro, Tom Sparrow, Corey Wagner and Oskar Baker who is starting to return to his pre-injury form of last year. 

Skipper White and Smith gave the team a focus in front of goals while youngster Tom Freeman also continues to develop nicely. James Jordon and Kade Chandler were also good contributors on the day and Harry Petty continues to develop as a key defender.

The Demons return to Casey Fields next Saturday for another tough assignment - this time against stand alone Port Melbourne.

2019 Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear VFL

Casey Demons 3.2.20 6.2.38 11.4.70 15.6.96

Essendon VFL 1.2.8 3.4.22 3.6.24 7.7.49

Goals 

Casey Demons T Smith 4 White 3 Baker Munro Preuss 2 Chandler

Essendon VFL Ridley 2 Begley Fennel Gown Hocking Langford Younan 

Best

Casey Demons Preuss Smith Petty Baker T Freeman Munro 

Essendon VF L Dea Langford Clarke Hocking McNiece Hartley

Statistics

Oskar Baker 2 goals 1 behind kicks handballs disposals marks tackles 82 dream team points  
Toby Bedford 1 behind 2 kicks 2 handballs 4 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 19 dream team points  
Jaxon Briggs 5 kic ks 2 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 33 dream tea m points  
Kade Chandler 1 goal 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 40 dream team points  
Jake Di Pasquale 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 3 tackles 63 dream team points  
Tom Freeman 15 kicks 1 handball 16 disposals 12 marks 4 tackles 100 dream team points  
Mitch Gent 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 60 dream team points  
Jack Hutchins 10 kicks 2 handballs 12 disposals 8 marks 1 tackle 59 dream team points  
James Jordon 15 kicks 2 handballs 17 disposals 6 marks 68 dream team points  
Mykelti Lefau 1 goals 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 26 dream team points  
Mitchell Lewis 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 4 marks 41 dream team points
Nick Lowden 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 6 marks 48 dream team points  
Tom McCaffrey 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 47 dream team points  
James Munro 2 goals 9 kicks 9 handballs 18 disposals 2 marks 8 tackles 92 dream team points  
Harrison Petty 10 kicks 3 handballs 13 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 63 dream team points  
Braydon Preuss 2 goals 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 6 marks 1 tackle 40 hit outs 113 dream team points  
Aidan Quigley 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackles 21 dream team points  
Tim Smith 4 goals 1 behinds 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles 1 hit out 86 dream team points  
Tom Sparrow 12 kicks 3 handballs 15 disposals 5 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points  
Cory Stockdale 3 kicks 1 handballs 4 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 22 dream team points  
Corey Wagner 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 9 tackles 83 dream team points  
Liam Wale-Buxton 1 kick 5 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 4 tackles 30 hit outs 59 dream team points  
Mitchell White 3 goals 1 behind 11 kicks 11 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 74 dream team points  

Stats are all wrong... id like to see Oskar Bakers numbers.   He could be close to a debut.

7 hours ago, old dee said:

I was there yesterday DJ, a couple of years since my last visit and back then they had a decent scoreboard. I fortunately took my binoculars, yes folks it is that bad. 

I was surprised that Casey won so easily, Preuss took them apart even though I though he was used sparingly. It might be my imagination but I reckon he was used sparingly with a trip to WA in mind.

while I thought Sparrow  and Petty did there jobs well at this level Baker was the only one that looked worthy of a senior game later in the season. Of the kids I liked the game of Chandler, he was probably not in the top half dozen but showed some promise.

If we don't pick Smith for a forward role in the team for Perth we have rocks in our heads.

While he is never going to be a very good player at senior level he is a solid mark and a good kick for goal. Yesterday he was used around the centre quite a bit with good effect. Based on yesterday's form he and the Giant are the only ones I would pick for senior duties in WA. 

I scrambled together a team last night,  for Perth .

I had  tSmith at CHF,  because he is a mobile tall who has some lateral movement,  and is prepared to stand his ground under a high ball.  Also is very handy down lower to ground level,  and is hard to knock off his feet.

IMO he can be handy inside contests.  So for these reasons,  I have him at CHF.   And him being a bit smaller (an in-between key tall in height, adds some variety to our skills).

In that side,  I had Preuss and Weide side by side with Hunt. Speed and height.

Obviously Weide has to push up field,  starting from the goal mouth,  leaving Hunt and Preuss deeper.  Hunt to continue his role as is.  tSmith to roll around the front-half offensively, essentially playing TMc's,  high half-forward role.

TMc has to go  to CHB  in my view...  as I do NOT want to see Lever in for a couple more weeks yet.

If Lever was to injure that knee again,  coming back in Cold...  there will be Hell to Pay.

We will go in a bit taller this week,  on a bigger ground,  so ANB and others Run, will be critical.

I'm not sure Garlett should play this week...  think I prefer Spargo who seems to have been rested.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SPC said:

Hi to those who watched the game. 1 question- do we have any small defenders who could come in this week? Where has Sparrow played? Cory Wagner?

Wagner had a good game and is probably the only one at Casey suited to the senior back line . But he has been in before and IMO is sadly one of those players who is good at VFL level but just not good enough at senior level. We are however down to the bottom of our reserves so he may get a run in Perth. Sparrow played around the mid field most of the day. Again IMO he is developing well but a back man? not sure I think his talents lie further up the field.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

Wagner had a good game and is probably the only one at Casey suited to the senior back line . But he has been in before and IMO is sadly one of those players who is good at VFL level but just not good enough at senior level. We are however down to the bottom of our reserves so he may get a run in Perth. Sparrow played around the mid field most of the day. Again IMO he is developing well but a back man? not sure I think his talents lie further up the field.

Hi Old Dee, thanks for the reply. Agree 100% about Wagner- he is a good honest footballer, but probably a little way of AFL level. 

On 5/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, old dee said:

Hey mate, how did James Jordan go? I believe he had 18 disposals this week on top of 19 last week. Which says to me he is now starting to adjust to VFL tempo.

Played half back??

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hey mate, how did James Jordan go? I believe he had 18 disposals this week on top of 19 last week. Which says to me he is now starting to adjust to VFL tempo.

Played well, building a body of work. The back line was a well-organised unit and he was a key part of that.

• Like 2

Has the style of VFL footy changed in the last 2 years?

...or is it just us?

Grimes and Trengove would consistently rack up 30+ possessions every week at Casey.

ANB racked up big numbers before he made the leap up.

Last year the numbers dropped back a little with Tyson and Bugg usually around the mid 20's when they played there, maybe an occasional 30.

..but now we struggle to find anyone getting 20.

Surely if you can't pick up 30+ possessions at VFL level in the midfield then you're going to really struggle at AFL level.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Played half back??

To be honest I was concentrating on four other players dd, and as such I probably missed some of his work.

I would have put him on my ok list but that may have been unfair to him.

Yes I  like  how him  and Chandler are progressing, both are still quite young so not sure I would want to expose either to the top level yet. There is a long way to go for these guys IMO the worst thing we could do would be to put them in the seniors at present when the support for them this year would be low. Again only my opinion but it may be better to wait till 2020 there is plenty of time for them.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Bedford and Chandler are underwhelming

Don't agree on Chandler Chook, I though he did some nice things. He is still a baby.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rjay said:

...or is it just us?

Grimes and Trengove would consistently rack up 30+ possessions every week at Casey.

Last year the numbers dropped back a little with Tyson and Bugg usually around the mid 20's when they played there, maybe an occasional 30.

Surely if you can't pick up 30+ possessions at VFL level in the midfield then you're going to really struggle at AFL level.

The one thing wrong with your theory rjay is that due to our long injury list the equivalent players this year are all playing in the seniors. There are a lot more "Casey" players in the mix every weekend. Without injuries the cusp players like JKH, Stretch and Wagner etc  would be at Casey putting up similar numbers. IMO It is our injuries that are causing the problem.

23 minutes ago, old dee said:

The one thing wrong with your theory rjay is that due to our long injury list the equivalent players this year are all playing in the seniors. There are a lot more "Casey" players in the mix every weekend. Without injuries the cusp players like JKH, Stretch and Wagner etc  would be at Casey putting up similar numbers. IMO It is our injuries that are causing the problem.

Even last year those players you mention were only getting numbers in the 20's on a good day...

Stretch this year for example, even ANB although apparently he had been told to focus on tackles.

When Spargo plays he only gets low numbers, they should be racking up possessions or goals to get a promotion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

...or is it just us?

There is definitely something in what you say and it is one of the reasons I have suggested we should aggressively experiment with positions, gameplans and skill development at VFL level. I would support alternative week strategies or even alternative quarter strategies. VFL is not about winning.. it is about maximising the chances of the senior team.

Hell we've had a successful VFL team for years and it has not produced many players for the seniors.

In the last quarter on Saturday we were 50 points up at 3/4 time and the direction from the coach was to implement game plan Joker. I've heard this direction before and my guess it means take more risks but to my uneducated eye I didn't see a real difference.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rjay said:

Even last year those players you mention were only getting numbers in the 20's on a good day...

Stretch this year for example, even ANB although apparently he had been told to focus on tackles.

When Spargo plays he only gets low numbers, they should be racking up possessions or goals to get a promotion.

You know my opinion of Spargo so enough said.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Bedford and Chandler are underwhelming

chook - your own observations, statistics, or speculation ??

On 5/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, old dee said:

Disagree to a degree.

I would rest plenty of our better players and give others a go, as this is a short week and a pretty hard task.

I would freshen up Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Tom Mc, Frost etc and play Spargo, ANB, Smith, Preuss, Sparrow, Baker etc.

Then we could load up and start our comeback against the Giants in 9 days at the G, where they play poorly.

We would be fresh and ready to go against a top Team who don't like the G.

To me there would be more chance of winning that game, than the Eagles after a short week and 2 interstate trips in a row.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Disagree to a degree.

I would rest plenty of our better players and give others a go, as this is a short week and a pretty hard task.

I would freshen up Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Tom Mc, Frost etc and play Spargo, ANB, Smith, Preuss, Sparrow, Baker etc.

Then we could load up and start our comeback against the Giants in 9 days at the G, where they play poorly.

We would be fresh and ready to go against a top Team who don't like the G.

To me there would be more chance of winning that game, than the Eagles after a short week and 2 interstate trips in a row.

Sorry RL can't agree.

That  is tantamount to "tanking" and we know what that will do to our brand.

Most players in that group are in good form and have put in the hard yards after any surgery or pre-season blip.

Just imagine also the potential effect on confidence to the "Casey players" for their season.

We are not that far away if we can cobble together 15 goals something we could fight this game out heroically.

Imsgine the atmosphere and lift this would give our whole list. (the Casey Demons won an unwinnable  game on the weekend based on ladder form and player availability. Why can't our AFL team do the same the same?

GWS are ripe for picking on the MCG so let's hope we can win both and surprise the footy world again at Optus Stadium.

Just now, 58er said:

Sorry RL can't agree.

That  is tantamount to "tanking" and we know what that will do to our brand.

Most players in that group are in good form and have put in the hard yards after any surgery or pre-season blip.

Just imagine also the potential effect on confidence to the "Casey players" for their season.

We are not that far away if we can cobble together 15 goals something we could fight this game out heroically.

Imsgine the atmosphere and lift this would give our whole list. (the Casey Demons won an unwinnable  game on the weekend based on ladder form and player availability. Why can't our AFL team do the same the same?

GWS are ripe for picking on the MCG so let's hope we can win both and surprise the footy world again at Optus Stadium.

PS We also have a 9 day break which should be in our favour after this Friday!

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Played half back??

Jordan is still very young and developing. Importantly his foot skills are excellent which is better than most.  I’d say it’s a development year at Casey.  I saw the 2nd quarter and he was outmuscled once but delivered two beautiful passes lace out.  Likely half back or wing role. 

• Like 1