Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
one_demon

Joel Smith

Recommended Posts

Seemed to be growing nicely into the forward role. Is a hunter, not sitting still too often, and has an attitude to stay involved and be aware of teamwork.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how we end up slotting in all or most of Lever, May, Smith, VandenBerg and Hannan. Joel being the most flexible might end up being squeezed into wherever there is need.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Seemed to be growing nicely into the forward role. Is a hunter, not sitting still too often, and has an attitude to stay involved and be aware of teamwork.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how we end up slotting in all or most of Lever, May, Smith, VandenBerg and Hannan. Joel being the most flexible might end up being squeezed into wherever there is need.

 

Can't wait 4 him 2 come back. Think he'll b that x factor we need in 4ward line. Him & Hannah can take screamers. He will b a gun as long as he stays fit

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, one_demon said:

When he comes back, will he play back or forward?

At Casey, i reckon,  until his body is right and ready. 

Then,  it might depend on Keilty and Preuss.?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs 2-3 weeks at Casey.  Love to see him play a back role along with Lever.  Hannan to play mid size forward role alongside Petracca and Melksham.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joel is a natural athlete as well as a good footballer. Offers that X factor & flexibility to play both ends & his role is more important that some people think. Lever is a good player but Joel can jump on heads & has that power element to his game.

If he stays fit......very important to our future.

Be [censored] off if I was his folks though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short term: Just want to see him back playing at Casey.

Medium term (later this year): Another mobile marking forward would be very handy.

Long term: I'd still like him down back. If you look at Collingwood and Geelong - maybe the 2 best teams in the comp - both have tall, strong and athletic backlines that aren't always the most skilled and so make simple decisions with the ball.

I'm thinking guys like Henry, Kolodjashnij and O'Connor from the Cats and Langdon, Maynard and Howe at the Pies. Those guys are the 3rd, 4th and 5th tallest defenders and they all have size and athleticism to make life very difficult for forwards. Grimes and Broad are the same for the Tigers. You can play uptempo fast ball movement game and trust your defenders to hold up because they can cover the ground and win contests.

Hore is going pretty well, although I worry about his upside if he isn't all that fast or fit. Wagner not in terrible form either but his lack of speed concerns. Lever hopefully back soon. Still think we could do with another athlete back there who can get up and down the ground and beat dangerous forwards.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Short term: Just want to see him back playing at Casey.

Medium term (later this year): Another mobile marking forward would be very handy.

Long term: I'd still like him down back. If you look at Collingwood and Geelong - maybe the 2 best teams in the comp - both have tall, strong and athletic backlines that aren't always the most skilled and so make simple decisions with the ball.

I'm thinking guys like Henry, Kolodjashnij and O'Connor from the Cats and Langdon, Maynard and Howe at the Pies. Those guys are the 3rd, 4th and 5th tallest defenders and they all have size and athleticism to make life very difficult for forwards. Grimes and Broad are the same for the Tigers. You can play uptempo fast ball movement game and trust your defenders to hold up because they can cover the ground and win contests.

Hore is going pretty well, although I worry about his upside if he isn't all that fast or fit. Wagner not in terrible form either but his lack of speed concerns. Lever hopefully back soon. Still think we could do with another athlete back there who can get up and down the ground and beat dangerous forwards.

 

Thats what Pre seasons are for.. to get fit.

He will be fine. He is a fine intercept mark who has plenty of upside. He doesn't have to be fast. Tom Stewart from Geelong is the same height and plays the same role, but he is not quick either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thats what Pre seasons are for.. to get fit.

He will be fine. He is a fine intercept mark who has plenty of upside. He doesn't have to be fast. Tom Stewart from Geelong is the same height and plays the same role, but he is not quick either.

I’ve had this argument a lot and it’s not that I think Hore or other guys at his level of speed can’t be a solid role player or even better, it’s just you need team balance to get the match ups right. 

For example we could have May, Oscar, Lever and Hore all in the team without a match up for Gunston. He’ll still be too quick for Oscar and Hore, too fit for May and too attacking for Lever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’ve had this argument a lot and it’s not that I think Hore or other guys at his level of speed can’t be a solid role player or even better, it’s just you need team balance to get the match ups right. 

For example we could have May, Oscar, Lever and Hore all in the team without a match up for Gunston. He’ll still be too quick for Oscar and Hore, too fit for May and too attacking for Lever.

How is Gunstan any quicker then Hore? If anything Gunstan doesnt exactly break out into strides, more so its his work rate that gets him moving in and around ground.

And i would back Lever to do the job on him down back. Lever is also known as an attacking defender when he was at adelaide, highlighted by his 30 disposal 13 marks against St Kilda in round 11 2016 and also his 29 disposals 11 marks in round 10 2017. Hes many of these games where plays a genuine attacking game style.

Marty Hore will only get better, he'll have a full year of AFL under his belt this year and will gel well once May and Lever are bsck full time.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How is Gunstan any quicker then Hore? If anything Gunstan doesnt exactly break out into strides, more so its his work rate that gets him moving in and around ground.

And i would back Lever to do the job on him down back. Lever is also known as an attacking defender when he was at adelaide, highlighted by his 30 disposal 13 marks against St Kilda in round 11 2016 and also his 29 disposals 11 marks in round 10 2017. Hes many of these games where plays a genuine attacking game style.

Marty Hore will only get better, he'll have a full year of AFL under his belt this year and will gel well once May and Lever are bsck full time.

If you don’t see Gunston as quicker than Hore then I’m not sure what you’ve been watching. There’s a reason Gunston can play wing and dominate a grand final, he’s a beautiful athlete as well as a footballer.

I meant Gunston is too dangerous an attacker for Lever to man. Lever’s best footy is playing on and dominating lesser forwards by dictating position. We saw that last year, as soon as Lever was playing on kids against Adelaide and Carlton he went from ordinary recruit to dominant intercept machine.

I hope Hore does, after a shaky first game he’s done very well. He might go to another level or he might be replaced as Lever and May take intercepting roles and we need more lock down defenders alongside them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I hope Hore does, after a shaky first game he’s done very well. He might go to another level or he might be replaced as Lever and May take intercepting roles and we need more lock down defenders alongside them. 

I really like Hore, and believe he will be a rock for us in our defence for a long time.  Possibly even the successor to Hibberd.

He needs to add some size and strength though, hes been outmarked too easily on a number of occasions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guntston is elite.

His accuracy which was his strength has let him down in he last two seasons.

In the 2018 finals he almost beat us off his own boot alone.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Short term: Just want to see him back playing at Casey.

Medium term (later this year): Another mobile marking forward would be very handy.

Long term: I'd still like him down back. If you look at Collingwood and Geelong - maybe the 2 best teams in the comp - both have tall, strong and athletic backlines that aren't always the most skilled and so make simple decisions with the ball.

I'm thinking guys like Henry, Kolodjashnij and O'Connor from the Cats and Langdon, Maynard and Howe at the Pies. Those guys are the 3rd, 4th and 5th tallest defenders and they all have size and athleticism to make life very difficult for forwards. Grimes and Broad are the same for the Tigers. You can play uptempo fast ball movement game and trust your defenders to hold up because they can cover the ground and win contests.

Hore is going pretty well, although I worry about his upside if he isn't all that fast or fit. Wagner not in terrible form either but his lack of speed concerns. Lever hopefully back soon. Still think we could do with another athlete back there who can get up and down the ground and beat dangerous forwards.

 

Points of view that are easy to accept, DS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We miss Smith, even when he was hobbling around against Brisbane down at Casey he was our most dangerous forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

I really like Hore, and believe he will be a rock for us in our defence for a long time.  Possibly even the successor to Hibberd.

He needs to add some size and strength though, hes been outmarked too easily on a number of occasions.

Hore needs to improve his kicking if he wants to establish himself at AFL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, one_demon said:

Anyone know if he's recovered from his injury? Will he get a full pre-season?

His dad Shaun is apparent screening him from our medical department.  If the latter stay away, he's a chance.

Edited by TGR
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Smylie said he was making good progress back in August in one of his last injury reports.

I have him as a wildcard for next year. Either as a forward or defender.

Would be nice if he had a full year without getting injured though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...