Jump to content

Chelly

Changes v Gold Coast Suns

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

You are not the only one!

I am sure that most of us can see it - allegedly had a good game last week but still was not even competitive and was grossly unreliable across the game - yet he keeps being picked (what are we waiting for); as if he is going to produce a three-year overdue turn-around with his speed, manning, marking, team play, reliable interceptions, attacking clearances, etc). He is a drain and liability on what could be a very good backline, necessitating the support re-structuring of the rest of the backmen during most active plays firstly at fullback and now at halfback.

When Lever, Jetta and May return, all will be added scramblers attempting to resolve the problem when the ball is in/ is approaching his vicinity. This will leave the current deep backmen playing against an added opposition forward other than their own opponent. 'Sneak in and kick goals' has never been easier for them. 

Notice how Frosty, Salem, HIbberd and even Lewis by-pass OMac when clearing, passing, handballing - he cannot attract teamwork, just lopes around avoiding physical contact. A wasted jumper.

In previous years we could allow OMac some slack hoping that the tide would turn and we would begin to see improvement.  This year there has been no improvement and the same failings are apparent to all. It is like watching a Jack Watts rerun. Hoping each week to see the potential unlocked but instead seeing the same failings. It all adds up to the same feeling of frustration merging at times with anger when one watches his hesitant bewildered game style. It really is hard to imagine what goes on in his head.  All I know is that like Watts, you can't keep selecting a player with little or no intensity at the ball or the opponent. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hemingway said:

In previous years we could allow OMac some slack hoping that the tide would turn and we would begin to see improvement.  This year there has been no improvement and the same failings are apparent to all. It is like watching a Jack Watts rerun. Hoping each week to see the potential unlocked but instead seeing the same failings. It all adds up to the same feeling of frustration merging at times with anger when one watches his hesitant bewildered game style. It really is hard to imagine what goes on in his head.  All I know is that like Watts, you can't keep selecting a player with little or no intensity at the ball or the opponent. 

 

This debacle has gone on and on, too far, too often, to zilch effect. DROP HIM AS IT IS ALREADY TOO LATE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I thought Frost played most of the game on Roughy?

Na, Roughy was played more out on the flanks and then as the second ruck (he was just plan horrible, not beaten by anyone). None of our backs had a true easy to read match up, they went back to a zone type game plan. Saying Frost played on him is to just add to the narrative to have a pot shot at OMac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Na, Roughy was played more out on the flanks and then as the second ruck (he was just plan horrible, not beaten by anyone). None of our backs had a true easy to read match up, they went back to a zone type game plan. Saying Frost played on him is to just add to the narrative to have a pot shot at OMac.

Sounds reasonable to most ..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GC have lots their main ball winner in Fiorini, but brought in more flankers. If we can smash them in the middle then we'll be ok and the Viney selection is justified, if we don't then I hope we can stop their quick entries, ANB would at least help us lock the ball in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hemingway said:

In previous years we could allow OMac some slack hoping that the tide would turn and we would begin to see improvement.  This year there has been no improvement and the same failings are apparent to all. It is like watching a Jack Watts rerun. Hoping each week to see the potential unlocked but instead seeing the same failings. It all adds up to the same feeling of frustration merging at times with anger when one watches his hesitant bewildered game style. It really is hard to imagine what goes on in his head.  All I know is that like Watts, you can't keep selecting a player with little or no intensity at the ball or the opponent. 

 

agree 'hw'...

Its time to find some urgency with Casey for a prolonged period.  He should go back and learn to dominate at VFL level...  and not get back until the door in front of him,  is off its hinges.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DV8 said:

agree 'H'...

Its time to find some urgency with Casey for a prolonged period.  He should go back and learn to dominate at VFL level...  and not get back until the door in front of him,  is off its hinges.

That won't happen until we get a substantial number of the injured back.

The simple fact is that between now and at least the June break there is no one else at Casey better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, old dee said:

That won't happen until we get a substantial number of the injured back.

The simple fact is that between now and at least the June break there is no one else at Casey better.

Indeed, OD that is the simple fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope we play Viney in the forward half, same as Geelong do Ablett.  Imagine some poor defender having to stop Viney.   The mids have done OK without him this year and last, so why not.  He would have to be watched or tagged by a very good defender, which might help our other forwards.    Time will tell.    Good Chance to win again this week I think. !!!    

 

Go Dees !!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, old dee said:

That won't happen until we get a substantial number of the injured back.

The simple fact is that between now and at least the June break there is no one else at Casey better.

Yes, your right,  'od'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Na, Roughy was played more out on the flanks and then as the second ruck (he was just plan horrible, not beaten by anyone). None of our backs had a true easy to read match up, they went back to a zone type game plan. Saying Frost played on him is to just add to the narrative to have a pot shot at OMac.

Actually, no. You have made that up.

I was clarifying who I thought spent the most time on Roughy, because that's who I actually saw at the game on Roughy when he was shifted forward. That's all.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

Actually, no. You have made that up.

I was clarifying who I thought spent the most time on Roughy, because that's who I actually saw at the game on Roughy when he was shifted forward. That's all.

 

 

 

I was there as well, and Roughy spent most of his time on the flanks and when he did go deeper forward, there was no one in particular who was assigned to him. OMac/Hore/Hibberd/Wagner would have played on him just as much, so I didn't make it up at all. Only after he started to get press about having only 8 touches have some here praised Frost for doing that but really doing it to just have another shot at OMac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ANB for Viney, late change? (No substance to that, just a hunch)

Almost 24 hours later and I still can’t make sense of the ANB omission.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DubDee said:

Get the context. At this point Viney is out co captain and a much better player then ANB. 

Viney will go down as a MFC legend when he lifts the cup in a couple of years

Bloody nice gesture of Gawny & Goody to invite our injured skipper onto the dais to lift the cup. Shades of Bob

Edited by John Demonic
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy for Dec Keilty to get another crack. Thought ANB was stiff to miss out. Viney has to come in if fit and not risking further serious injury. Every game a must win now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I was there as well, and Roughy spent most of his time on the flanks and when he did go deeper forward, there was no one in particular who was assigned to him. OMac/Hore/Hibberd/Wagner would have played on him just as much, so I didn't make it up at all. Only after he started to get press about having only 8 touches have some here praised Frost for doing that but really doing it to just have another shot at OMac.

I simply asked if Frost was matching him up because I saw it three times when he was in the forward 50. I was seeking clarification. I did not mention Omac at all 

You said I was adding to the narrative of Omac bashing by mentioning this, which is made up. By that logic, anyone who mentions Frost is adding to 'Omac bashing', lol!

If you have a problem with posters who take pot shots at Omac, at least pick the correct posters to aim at. I had no problem with Omac's game vs Haw to 3/4 time,

Actually, I cbf anymore. C ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hemingway said:

In previous years we could allow OMac some slack hoping that the tide would turn and we would begin to see improvement.  This year there has been no improvement and the same failings are apparent to all. It is like watching a Jack Watts rerun. Hoping each week to see the potential unlocked but instead seeing the same failings. It all adds up to the same feeling of frustration merging at times with anger when one watches his hesitant bewildered game style. It really is hard to imagine what goes on in his head.  All I know is that like Watts, you can't keep selecting a player with little or no intensity at the ball or the opponent. 

 

Absolute last chance for Turbo Mc and Pedestrian Jordan Lewis today . Tide is turning!

Also Jack Viney would not want to reinjure that shoulder if NQR!

Big Day for quite a few today!

DEES JUST!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hunt29 said:

Happy for Dec Keilty to get another crack. Thought ANB was stiff to miss out. Viney has to come in if fit and not risking further serious injury. Every game a must win now. 

must be saving ANB for the bigger ground. 

So took the chance with Viney,  prior to the game in Perth...  trying to get him in some form ahead of Eagles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, Rusty Nails said:

In:  Pruess (if fit)  Out:  Omac

Keilty play's Omacs usual role

Simples

You May be a week early,  'RN'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DV8 said:

You May be a week early,  'RN'.

Ha possibly DV.  I think that would have been handy last night but with a few more injuries we will just have to wait and see who's available.  Hibb is a real blow as he was getting back towards 2017/2018 form, giving us some decent run off HB.  Together with Frosty we were just starting to get our mojo back here.  No luck at all on this front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Ha possibly DV.  I think that would have been handy last night but with a few more injuries we will just have to wait and see who's available.  Hibb is a real blow as he was getting back towards 2017/2018 form, giving us some decent run off HB.  Together with Frosty we were just starting to get our mojo back here.  No luck at all on this front.

I think they have selected and rested players...  with a selection View to a block of games.  Yesterdays game and,  in 6 days time over in Perth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I think they have selected and rested players...  with a selection View to a block of games.  Yesterdays game and,  in 6 days time over in Perth.

There is not many to select from to rest / manage DV.  I think it's more the FD just working with what they have and getting them to a level of conditioning and fitness that will help them to compete and execute over 4 quarters (or close to) at AFL level (via the VFL also where possible).

If we had decent depth at Casey, you might (for example) 'manage' Gus this week and bring in a similar style depth mid to cover allowing Gus to work on aspects of his game before recalling again.  A nice luxury if the options were there.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

There is not many to select from to rest / manage DV.  I think it's more the FD just working with what they have and getting them to a level of conditioning and fitness that will help them to compete and execute over 4 quarters (or close to) at AFL level (via the VFL also where possible).

If we had decent depth at Casey, you might (for example) 'manage' Gus this week and bring in a similar style depth mid to cover allowing Gus to work on aspects of his game before recalling again.  A nice luxury if the options were there.

Agree RN from what I saw yesterday we are down to the bottom.

The problem is we have very large injuries and have now added Hibbert to the long term list. Whatever else we have done wrong the injury list is easily the biggest problem, no team could sustain the injuries we have and still be up in the first eight teams.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, DV8 said:

must be saving ANB for the bigger ground. 

So took the chance with Viney,  prior to the game in Perth...  trying to get him in some form ahead of Eagles.

ANB a certainty now with the injuries. But yes he’ll cover the ground well with his tank. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    RED AND BLUEPRINT 2019 by Whispering Jack

    The rusty red of the McDonnell Ranges and the blue skies above them provided the perfect backdrop that summed up everything about the Melbourne Football Club’s 2019 season. It set out the perfect red and blueprint for the club’s horror year. The club’s previous season was one of great promise but it ended in a calamitous way in Perth with an 11 goal defeat at the hands of the ultimate premiership side, the West Coast Eagles in a game where the Demons’ first goal came early in the third quar

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    WINDY DAY FOOTY by KC from Casey

    Windy day footy has always been the domain of those who play the game hard: on days when the breeze gusts all over the place and the ground has been sodden by recent rains, the player needs to get all aspects of his game together and be hard of body and mind, to concentrate and attack the football. The Casey Demons came out on their own deck in such conditions and under a mainly sunny sky and gave it a crack for half a game but they lost sight of the fundamentals of playing hard in difficul

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TRECIMATED by George on the Outer

    A little more than two months have passed since Melbourne met and came close to beating the reigning premier West Coast in the preliminary final replay over in the West. At the time, the Demons had three wins on the board and now, nine rounds later and going into this week’s match, they have managed to add a paltry two more wins to the ledger.  The Eagles, in contrast, have moved to within percentage of second spot on the ladder despite their loss at home this week against Collingwood. Whil

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAME STORY, DIFFERENT SONG by George on the Outer

    Melbourne was still suffering from the same old story - a lack of AFL capable players from which to choose at the selection table - and the Western Bulldogs got to sing their song again. But wait, that wasn’t the Doggie’s song we’ve been hearing for the last 30 years, it was some other concoction and no-one knew the words to it but whatever it was, they got to mumble it with gusto after a huge 8 point win! The sad thing is that the Bulldogs (or Footscray or whatever they choose to call

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DOGGED by KC from Casey

    On Sunday, the Casey Demons met the Footscray VFL under the roof at the same venue where their nemesis took them down in the 2017 grand final and the result left them with the same feeling of disappointment - this time with a seven point defeat that ended the club’s four game winning streak and made things a lot harder in terms of playing in this year’s final series.   And, as has so often happened this year, the Demons let the game get away from them with but failing to take advantage of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BARKING MAD by The Oracle

    There was so much hype proliferating about Melbourne’s prospects for season 2019 a mere four months ago, that one could be forgiven for thinking anyone contemplating the prospect of a bottom four finish for the Demons at the time was barking mad. That however, is the prospect that they face at the moment and a loss to the Bulldogs on Sunday would make it a virtual certainty.  The club’s downward spiral after several years of moving steadily on an upward trajectory has been well documented i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MELBOURNE WAY by George on the Outer

    Much has been made by the coaching staff of playing a “Melbourne way” style of play. The nail-biting finish by the Demons in the dying minute of the game could not have been any more the case in point.   Leading by a game-high 38 points late in the third quarter, and by five goals at the final change, this should have been the catalyst for a romp home to an easy win.   But that is not the “Melbourne way” and the supporters, especially those with a severe case of MFCSS (aka intense inse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK AND BLUE CAN’T KICK TRUE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons took on the Northern Blues at home on Saturday  in a game that was crucial in terms of their hopes for September and they took away the valuable four points on offer after some worrying moments. Most of those worries were self-inflicted as a result of some shocking inaccuracy in front of goal, sloppiness in play and a little bit of indiscipline that all combined to make the game a lot closer than it should have been. The final scoreboard showed the Demons winning the P

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GO FIGURE by Sam the Stats Man

    In May last year, a rampant Melbourne side demolished Carlton by 109 points at the MCG. The Demons did as they pleased and ran rings against a young, abysmal Blues combination. The Dees led in virtually every key performance indicator, notably entering the inside 50 metre mark 63 times to 33 and the superiority of their attack was highlighted by a 74% shooting accuracy rate (to 47%).  A little more than a year later the two sides face each other for the first time since that rout and the ta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1

    GORN AT THE GABBA by George on The Outer

    With Melbourne leading the Brisbane Lions in the second term, and the game in the balance, a Max Gawn ankle injury signalled that the Demons were as good as gorrnnn for the match. Without a suitable 2nd ruck and (once again) forced to use either Tom McDonald, Tim Smith or Sam Weidemann in the ruck the Demons found themselves without a forward line that could kick a winning score. Not that anything really changed, as the forward line has been completely dysfunctional all season and one

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GAMBIT by KC from Casey

    The opening gambit of Saturday afternoon’s game told us everything about who would be its main players and who would come out on top. The Casey Demons were eager to turn the tables on the Box Hill Hawks who beat them in last year’s grand final and then gave them a first up mauling at City Oval, Box Hill. Kicking with the aid of a strong breeze in the opening term, Braydon Preuss’ first hit out went straight to the diminutive Jay Kennedy Harris who pounced with a 70 metre shot at goal that sailed

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MURDER BY NUMBERS by Sam the Stats Man

    The respective ladder positions of this week’s combatants tell the story of one side on the rise and the other in steep decline. Since their most recent meeting which took place early last year, the Dees and the Lions have changed positions. They are opposed to each again on the former’s home turf with the locals in fine fettle after blowing St Kilda off the park at Marvel Stadium.  The Lions’ home ground advantage has been a major consideration so far this year. They have won five out of s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...