_H_

Gary Pert

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Comparing military hierarchy with footy. Now I've heard it all!

Melb supporters really are losing the plot!

A MFC supporter has by nature lost the plot Mr. shadow why else would one barrack for the Dees?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Drysdale and Smokey, if you have not done so I recommend you read Ross McMullins book on Pompey Elliott. There are in fact two books, the first written a few years ago is a biography of the great man, and, the second, written in the last year or so, is  a brilliant and informative narrative containing his diary entries.

He was a hell of a man, soldier and general. If you doubt the impact of leadership on the  battlefield you must read this book, particularly the latest book based on his diary entries of his account of his time on the Western Front. 

He was a tough, inforgiving bast....who clashed with other officers particularly British generals and commanding officers, a person who demanded total obedience from his men......but his battalion was one apart from all others because as well as a brilliant tactician, his men simply loved him. He did not hide from battle like so many officers and generals, but commanded his men from the front.

Sounds like a fantastic couple of reads, thanks for the recommendation mate! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Take a month off for ignoring my general warning and a private warning about personal attacks. You're not the only one doing it but you are the only one who I've warned privately that has ignored the warning.

I don't usually make moderating public but I hope this serves as a warning to others who think that they can blatantly disregard the rules.

I get no pleasure out of this and this isn't a power trip. I let many things go through to the keeper but let that be a warning.

I think you should make it public...   So we can all see an even hand. across the board.

Particularly when some like Rhino,  got their power trips happening... and biases.

ps:  please could we tweak the banner by Mid season,  bringing Jetta in,   and May out wide or Off ?

that's all for now.  thanks DL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, old dee said:

A MFC supporter has by nature lost the plot Mr. shadow why else would one barrack for the Dees?

A willingness to see something through to the bitter end.

The bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter....bitter end.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Smokey said:

Hilarious people talking about putting people on ignore because they don't agree with their opinion on a forum. 

I'm one of the people who exercised their Democratic right to place someone on Ignore. I haven't engaged with them at all but they either repeated the same view for 6 pages or just engaged in infantile arguments that lower the tenor of this place. Anyway a certain Mod has thankfully given us a month's holiday from the nameless person. Can't help thinking they are Stuie reincarnated. 

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Again, it's clear my point was misunderstood by many, which is probably my fault for not being concise enough and I accept that. I'm not attempting to directly compare the hierarchies of military units and football clubs, simply highlighting the fact that top end changes can have swift and meaningful changes right through ANY organisation, and I used the military as an example of that. I remain on the fence to whether Pert is accountable in any way and to what degree, I'm simply open to the possibility that his presence could already be having a negative effect on something or other.

... either way... What may be known in minds,  Now...  as negative at this time.   Might turn out in 2 seasons time,  to have been a blessing.......  ......

The perceptions currently have swung 180* from last October,  to Now.  from overly Optimistic... to overly Pessimistic.   And,  then the knives start coming out from behind cloaks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hemingway said:

There are in fact two books, the first written a few years ago is a biography of the great man, and, the second, written in the last year or so, is  a brilliant and informative narrative containing his diary entries.

He was a hell of a man, soldier and general. If you doubt the impact of leadership on the  battlefield you must read this book, particularly the latest book based on his diary entries of his account of his time on the Western Front. 

He was a tough, inforgiving bast....who clashed with other officers particularly British generals and commanding officers, a person who demanded total obedience from his men......but his battalion was one apart from all others because as well as a brilliant tactician, his men simply loved him. He did not hide from battle like so many officers and generals, but commanded his men from the front.

It sounds a good book ET.

And also sounds like our Directors over the past 50 Years should read it as well.

He sounds like the sort of President we've needed...  one who would-not shirk any issue,  with the (higher) authorities.  and lead the pathway out of doom.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, old dee said:

sometimes too enduring,  'OD'.

35 minutes ago, P-man said:

A willingness to see something through to the bitter end.

The bitter, bitter, bitter, bitter....bitter end.

You just proved my case P- man

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, old dee said:

True dat

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

It sounds a good book ET.

And also sounds like our Directors over the past 50 Years should read it as well.

He sounds like the sort of President we've needed...  one who would-not shirk any issue,  with the (higher) authorities.  and lead the pathway out of doom.

One hell of a guy. A hero. 

The Norm Smith of WWI.

His own man. Took no prisoners. A brilliant officer who butted heads with his peers and commanding officers particularly the Brits who he regarded as pompous, incompetent and nervous of battle. Loyal to his men and they to him.  

Fought in Gallipoli and the Western Front. Would not take leave because he refused to leave his men. He was the General who planned the retaking of Villers Bretonneux from the Germans a second time after the British had lost the town. The second battle which Pompey meticulously planned was decisive in stopping the Germans from taking Amiens. One of the most decisive battles in the War.  He was also the General who famously told his troops and British troops that they would be shot if they deserted the scene of battle.  

Monash is often regarded as the commanding officer that led the Aussies to victory at VB but it was actually Pompey Elliott. Monash stated that the victory at VB was the finest of the war. 

It is why the local school at Villers Bretonneux has a large sign over the playground saying ""N'Oublions Jamais l'Australie"" or Let us Never Forget Australia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hemingway said:

One hell of a guy. A hero. 

The Norm Smith of WWI.

His own man. Took no prisoners. A brilliant officer who butted heads with his peers and commanding officers particularly the Brits who he regarded as pompous, incompetent and nervous of battle. Loyal to his men and they to him.  

Fought in Gallipoli and the Western Front. Would not take leave because he refused to leave his men.

I would have loved this fella.

It's a pity we don''t have many like those,  these days...  in this current simpleton/self,  western world...   all about taking now. 

My old next door neighbor, R.I.P. Paddy...  was a veteran of conflicts in WW2... in Libya and Europe...  did a number of tours of duty...  and was advisor to  Crawford Productions.  

Re "The Sullivans" TV show.

• Like 1

Anyone on here have ties to the club to get Gary Pert on the Demonland podcast to talk about the current position the club is in?

Would be interested in listening to his views and some of the Demonland questions about where we are at.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 6:45 PM, maximum bob said:

Matsuo Basho indeed. You have a lot of front and nerve in ripping off one of the Haiku masters names. Sounds mysterious and exotic with a hint of authority to many. FAIL. Your observations and comments do a disservice to him. He would roll in his grave if he had to read the combative and assertive posts you serve up. That was not the spirit of your namesake to any degree. And before you reply, I have lived and worked in Japan and have no respect for your posts under his name.

Agree. Matsuo's portentous nonsense is totally tedious. Basho is the author of The Narrow Road to the Deep North. I recommend  Matsuo follow the advice of his namesake and take it.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, Redlagged said:

Agree. Matsuo's portentous nonsense is totally tedious. Basho is the author of The Narrow Road to the Deep North. I recommend  Matsuo follow the advice of his namesake and take it.

great book

(well, at least the richard flanagan one)

Counting down to:

1. we will undertake a thorough review of the medical department

2. Make assistants scapegoat for an average season

3 hours ago, TGR said:

Counting down to:

1. we will undertake a thorough review of the medical department

2. Make assistants scapegoat for an average season

3.  A grand final against our oldest foe.... the Filth!  A three-peat looms.  Strap yourselves in fellow minions!