Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm w/David Neitz

Petraccattack

Making the finals

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

“Sitting on a Cornflake, waiting for the van to come...”

Are you the eggman? Or the walrus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bingers said:

Are you the eggman? Or the walrus?

The Walrus was Paul...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Walrus was Paul...

Oh ... so you're the eggman ... And we are the eggmen ?

The youngies on this site will have no idea what we're on about. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A F said:

I reckon we need to improve our system and recruit players who compliment what we're trying to do with that system.

That's how we'll bounce back IMO.

 

5 hours ago, bing181 said:

Apart from anything else, what's happening shows how highly tuned successful teams are. It doesn't take much for the wheels to come off big time. Consequences have causes, but not all major consequences have major causes.

Last year we broke thru many of our hoodoo's.  And we played better at the the Docklands Dome than ever before.

 But in saying that,  we struggled at the 'G',  last year.

And we came unstuck over in Perth in September.

 

Enter  6'6'6'  this season,  and we have struggled with the extra space... sine the pre-season games.   I think we would always struggle with this,  because of our list up to end of 2018.  

We have recruited some young quicks,  from the 2018 draft.

But we couldn't go for mature pacy centreline players, because we would have been left with OMc and Frost as our main tall defenders... right up til mid season, when Lever will return.

Last year showed us we lacked speed generally, and we lacked a powerful tall back,  to quell the big forwards.

 

This team,  in its rebuild since Roosy,  is still in its infancy,  and is still in the same rebuild mode... It's not been completed as Yet.

 

The fact we made finals last season,  is a bonus...  rather than this year being a failure.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DV8 said:

 

This team,  in its rebuild since Roosy,  is still in its infancy,  and is still in the same rebuild mode... It's not been completed as Yet.

 

The fact we made finals last season,  is a bonus...  rather than this year being a failure.

.

We have gone the wrong way about the rebuild recently and have rushed things, sacrificing draft picks for key players like Lever and May. Not saying they aren’t adding to our list, however we have traded picks akin to a club in an open Premiership window, more so with the May trade.

We have traded out depth, to the clubs overall detriment.

We jumped the gun in thinking we were close to being in that window.

We now find ourselves back to being a young team that again provides inconsistent results, which are currently poor.

IMO it’s time to stick with the draft picks we are handed at years end and add more young talent and depth to the list.

The start to this year has kicked me in the guts and I’m prepared to wait longer if it means we are “properly” preparing for future success.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bingers said:

Oh ... so you're the eggman ... And we are the eggmen ?

The youngies on this site will have no idea what we're on about. 

“Elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beetle said:

We have gone the wrong way about the rebuild recently and have rushed things, sacrificing draft picks for key players like Lever and May. Not saying they aren’t adding to our list, however we have traded picks akin to a club in an open Premiership window, more so with the May trade.

We have traded out depth, to the clubs overall detriment.

We jumped the gun in thinking we were close to being in that window.

We now find ourselves back to being a young team that again provides inconsistent results, which are currently poor.

IMO it’s time to stick with the draft picks we are handed at years end and add more young talent and depth to the list.

The start to this year has kicked me in the guts and I’m prepared to wait longer if it means we are “properly” preparing for future success.

Apart from overpaying for Lever, I don't think we got it wrong..  As of last year,  our most pressing position to fill for needs was the Big defender,  one who can think, and can kick the ball.

I think we got it right apart from maybe some discipline issues,  which might need May to rethink...

Hawks too Brian Lake in,  for similar reasons.I guess we have to take them when they become available Or you run the risk of totally missiong out on what your key needs are.  Sometimes Opportunities only knock once. 

We took the chance and will get a good 3 Yrs from him from this year.

Now I think we have our key position places mostly sorted...  certainly tall defenders (hopefully Lever comes good),  other than recruiting maybe another kid tall defender,  to replace May in 3 or 4 Years time.

 

I think we'll need to trade  'in',  a key tall forward,  to cover TMc and Weide Re injury and form.

Preuss is good cover, but mainly for Gawn.  He can add as a tall forward sometimes,  but I reckon some games will not suit both Gawn and Preuss...  especially with a lack of pace around our best 22.

 

So this years trade and draft,  I think will be pretty obvious for all AFL watches, to see and know what our needs will be.

Quick running centreline types,  and a young key tall back.

 

I  no longer have confirdence in OMc making the grade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DV8 said:

Apart from overpaying for Lever, I don't think we got it wrong..  As of last year,  our most pressing position to fill for needs was the Big defender,  one who can think, and can kick the ball.

I think we got it right apart from maybe some discipline issues,  which might need May to rethink...

Hawks too Brian Lake in,  for similar reasons.I guess we have to take them when they become available Or you run the risk of totally missiong out on what your key needs are.  Sometimes Opportunities only knock once. 

We took the chance and will get a good 3 Yrs from him from this year.

Now I think we have our key position places mostly sorted...  certainly tall defenders (hopefully Lever comes good),  other than recruiting maybe another kid tall defender,  to replace May in 3 or 4 Years time.

 

I think we'll need to trade  'in',  a key tall forward,  to cover TMc and Weide Re injury and form.

Preuss is good cover, but mainly for Gawn.  He can add as a tall forward sometimes,  but I reckon some games will not suit both Gawn and Preuss...  especially with a lack of pace around our best 22.

 

So this years trade and draft,  I think will be pretty obvious for all AFL watches, to see and know what our needs will be.

Quick running centreline types,  and a young key tall back.

 

I  no longer have confirdence in OMc making the grade

We need a major lift right across the board.  FD included.  I want to see the club win as many games as possible ... for the clubs benefit we do not need another 16 loss (or worse) season.  For those eyeing off the draft,  we can work our way towards a top-end draft pick with shrewd maneuvering (Clayton Oliver style)

Another rubbish season affects sponsors,  membership,  supporter confidence,  the ability to attract talent,  player moral and numerous other areas.  Better to battle it out rather than close up shop.

8 - 10 wins from the position we are in right now would salvage things somewhat.  Not ideal but the alternative of a 5 & 17 season (or suchlike) would be horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread can be closed...I mean... it's beyond a joke already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

This thread can be closed...I mean... it's beyond a joke already...

Not yet.  Lets give them one more chance to turn the season round vs the hawks  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Not yet.  Lets give them one more chance to turn the season round vs the hawks  :ph34r:

I almost admire...or crave your delusion. 

2019 .... it's over ...just saying

There's lots of stuff out there beyond footy...find something. It helps ... truly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 9:32 PM, Petraccattack said:

Is there anyone who thinks we can still make the 8?

If so please explain why in detail.  Am still in denial that the season is over 6 rounds in.    🤬🤬🤬

Dare to dream!

 

 

D5s76e1UwAErqaI.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah. no

pocket the early pick and be done with it. Season is [censored]. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We hang by a thread. But that is better than not at all. 

If the team can string multiple wins together (7-8 games) we are still a chance.

It’s all above the shoulders 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We hang by a thread. But that is better than not at all. 

If the team can string multiple wins together (7-8 games) we are still a chance.

It’s all above the shoulders 

Hawks aren't very good and we struggled. Very much the false dawn I'm afraid.

Being competitive in the lead up to the bye would be a comparative win for the season made better if the likes of Petracca and Stretch can start to show that they are the future.

Good to see Hibberd have a decent game. We need another three years out of him at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

no...will maybe win two of the next five

DJ, I guess the two are GCS and Crows?

I reckon Eagles are gettable.  Vardy and Hickey are out of form.  They are playing one ruckman atm and Vardy/Hickey aren't as good a combo as Vardy and Lycett.  Whoever they choose there'll be no working Max over this time.  He and the team will be ready. 

We won't be as exhausted as going into the prelim, having effectively played about 6 Elim finals beforehand.  

We started to click yesterday and will do moreso vs GCS next week.

And, we will have something to prove.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hawks aren't very good and we struggled. Very much the false dawn I'm afraid.

Being competitive in the lead up to the bye would be a comparative win for the season made better if the likes of Petracca and Stretch can start to show that they are the future.

Good to see Hibberd have a decent game. We need another three years out of him at least.

A close win keeps the flame flickering

the 3rd Q shows us that improvement is all about between the ears. 

Goodwin has another busy week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about building fitness across the board and getting key players back.

Exhibit A is hibbo. Clearly looked fitter and had better movement than previous games. And had a much improved game as a result.

Exhibit B. Tmac. Still clearly hampered. But getting there. Three more weeks and I suspect he'll be over what ever the issue is (toe) and fitness will be where it should be at.

I reckon 12 games will be enough to make the 8 this year. Which means we need to win 10 of 15. If we can get to 12 games and have six wins we will need 6 from our last 10. Doable as by then we shoild have may, lever, jetts, viney and hannan back in the team.

Season is far from.over and talk of putting the cue in the rack and focusing on 2020 is poppy [censored]

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

DJ, I guess the two are GCS and Crows?

I reckon Eagles are gettable.  Vardy and Hickey are out of form.  They are playing one ruckman atm and Vardy/Hickey aren't as good a combo as Vardy and Lycett.  Whoever they choose there'll be no working Max over this time.  He and the team will be ready. 

We won't be as exhausted as going into the prelim, having effectively played about 6 Elim finals beforehand.  

We started to click yesterday and will do moreso vs GCS next week.

And, we will have something to prove.

Gold Coast and any one of the others.As you say most likely Adelaide but more that the law of averages says we have to luck onto a win.

Would like to think we could win more but the form slump is so deep that it will take a fair while to fully emerge.

Agree WCE are just chugging along as is Richmond but both teams are well in front of us at present. The loss to the Saints shows how low we have gone.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binman...I'm not suggesting we "put the cue in the rack" but as a supporter I am more interested in seeing positive development signs for the future.

Our percentage probably means we need one more win than the other teams if you want to start dreaming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Binman...I'm not suggesting we "put the cue in the rack" but as a supporter I am more interested in seeing positive development signs for the future.

Our percentage probably means we need one more win than the other teams if you want to start dreaming.

Dreaming is one thing MFC fans are experts at doing after all if you practise something for half a century you would think you would have perfected it. 

Now back to reality, yes we won but look at who we have beaten, Swans and Hawks neither of which are going to trouble the finalists in 2019. It took the Hawks all day to fall over the line against a injury ravaged Carlton side last week.

GCS are a chance next weekend, then we play WCE in Perth. GWS, Crows and Collingwood before the break followed by Freo at the G on 22 no June. IMO we have a chance against the Crows but until we get players back ( early July at best ) I cannot see how we will beat the other four. Unless we can get one or two of that four we can forget finals. Even then we have the job ahead of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we win 10 more games our percentage will be fine. And besides the comp is so even in that midddle group that 11 wins might be enough.

I still think many simply don't get that the issue isn't game plan, drinking bathwater, pert, issues between the coach and Macca, goody ability ad coach etc etc. 

The key issue is our lack of fitness and way too many players out. Simple

Fix that and winning 10 of 15 games is more than possible. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, binman said:

If we win 10 more games our percentage will be fine. And besides the comp is so even in that midddle group that 11 wins might be enough.

I still think many simply don't get that the issue isn't game plan, drinking bathwater, pert, issues between the coach and Macca, goody ability ad coach etc etc. 

The key issue is our lack of fitness and way too many players out. Simple

Fix that and winning 10 of 15 games is more than possible. 

If we only win two of the next five before we get players back and then have come straight back into form we would have to win 8 of the last ten on your maths binman.

I cannot see but if we did that then we would be in such good form getting to a GF would be possible.

Just pinched myself yes I am awake.

Looks way too hard to me when you are starting at 2-5 and have the likes of Collingwood and the Eagles to play twice yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

If we win 10 more games our percentage will be fine. And besides the comp is so even in that midddle group that 11 wins might be enough.

I still think many simply don't get that the issue isn't game plan, drinking bathwater, pert, issues between the coach and Macca, goody ability ad coach etc etc. 

The key issue is our lack of fitness and way too many players out. Simple

Fix that and winning 10 of 15 games is more than possible. 

I strongly agree with this, but that is not to say I think our game plan is perfect. Of course it can be improved, but I think if our players were fitter and we had some key personnel in the side we would not be sitting at 2 wins and 5 losses. It really is as simple as what Goodwin says in press conferences, the players aren't connecting due to lack of fitness and key personnel missing (May, Joel Smith, Hannan, Lewis, Lever, Jetta, Vandenberg, Viney). Obviously some of the injuries are new and some happened in preseason, but how can you get a strong and functional game plan when you are missing key players like Smith and May, with whom you trialled structures and so on in the preseason. All teams go through injuries but this in conjunction with individual player's like TMac's terrible form is why we suck atm...

We came in seriously underdone and we will pay for it, but finals is still a slim possibility.

I am not getting my hopes up but as long we keep the effort there and eventually get into form, we will be great. Collingwood started patchy this year - though not as bad as us - but they exploded Friday night. We will get there too, just a matter of whether it is too late or not. 

We as supporters and the players cannot get carried away though, Gold Coast won't be easy and the boys need to come out with the same ferocity if they want to win. Go Dees!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle

    It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points.  In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LANDSLIDE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons enjoyed the better of their first half against Port Melbourne on Saturday but fell away badly after half time to lose by 43 points. The Borough enjoyed the early break with the game’s opening two goals but the Demons took control to go out to an 8 point lead at quarter time, an advantage that it held for most of the second term until a late goal to the visitors clawed the lead back to a point.  The Casey ruck of Braydon Preuss and Liam Wale-Buxton were on top for most

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles 1

    SHOULD HAVE ... COULD HAVE by George on the Outer

    West Coast finally put the nail in the Demons 2019 season coffin with a 16 point win, but it was a game that Melbourne should have, could have, but didn’t win. Once again woeful, truly woeful work in the forward line, both kicking for goal and the lazy, cheap efforts of some let the side down. A solitary goal in the final quarter and only 9 goals from 24+ scoring opportunities was the costly difference in the game. The selectors, once again, made a critical error in not selecting

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCREAM by Whispering Jack

    The Norwegian Expressionist artist Edvard Munch painted a number of versions of his famous work “Scream” and, every time my mind goes back to last year’s Preliminary Final at Optus Stadium between Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each and every one of them reverberates through my mind as if my head is being pummeled by a sledgehammer.  When I think of that half time scoreboard from that match showing West Coast at 10.9.69 to Melbourne 0.6.6, I feel like the man standing by the railing,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...