Nascent

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I also recall that said but not sure it came from someone at the club or a media commentator.  And, I guess it depends where on our pay scale the FA lands.

As an aside, if we use our sal cap to bring in another player at the top end of our salary range while our existing talent are kept in the middle range, I wouldn't blame their manager's saying to them to start looking elsewhere

That really depends on whether we can bounce back next year or not.

Edited by A F

Posted (edited)

Would pay 2020 first rounder for Patton (Likely pick 8-14). Or our 2019 first rounder (Pick 1-2) for Patton and Whitfield.

Unfortunatly I feel our recruiters will be more occupied assessing what Casey players to draft instead.

Edited by olisik
  • Like 2

Just now, A F said:

That really depends on whether we can bounce back next year or not.

Perhaps, but a few players need to be signed this year and the club will want to sign some of next year's OOC players sooner rather than later.

So, we may not have the luxury of waiting till we bounce back next year.  Some players may just want their fair share of the pie and other attractive clubs might come calling. 

But I'm just hypothesising.  It will be a fine balancing act that Mahoney will walk with trades and contracts in the next year.

• Like 1

NFL draft is on now ESPN. These guys know how to keep it intere

Let us get everyone back on the park first !!! At the moment we have over 11/2 Mill in Slaray cap making game day speeches at supporters functions.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, olisik said:

Would pay 2020 first rounder for Patton (Likely pick 8-14). Or our 2019 first rounder (Pick 1-2) for Patton and Whitfield.

Unfortunatly I feel our recruiters will be more occupied assessing what Casey players to draft instead.

I hope you insert a reference to drafting from Casey in every single post, just to reinforce your own inanity... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know it’s terribly sad but my full interest is most-piqued by this post and will continue to be so all year

all I feel it’s missing is a list of accumulators a la the eponymous go and get Gaff thread 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, olisik said:

I'm not sure I get the love for Patton on here. If he were going cheap, maybe.... very maybe

He's a power forward in his 8th season who has only kicked 130 goals in his career.

He's had three knee reconstructions and last year only managed 10 goals from 12 games.

He's played 89 games in 8 seasons and only made 149 tackles in his entire career.

He's big, slow and doesn't influence games consistently.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I'm not sure I get the love for Patton on here. If he were going cheap, maybe.... very maybe

He's a power forward in his 8th season who has only kicked 130 goals in his career.

He's had three knee reconstructions and last year only managed 10 goals from 12 games.

He's played 89 games in 8 seasons and only made 149 tackles in his entire career.

He's big, slow and doesn't influence games consistently.

We may as well invest in Sam Reid for a bag of chips as Patton will be expensive given Hawthorn are suitors.

Edit: And I don't get this forward recruitment talk just yet. Lets see how we're going with May and Lever down back first.

Edited by John Demonic

4 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Sadly the Lever trade is speculative now. We could have a ten year player and future Captain or an average half back with injury concerns. Time will tell as it will with May.  

With May,  his contract will be for about 3 or 4 Yrs,  then that Cap space will be freed up.  And by then, we should have another Tall Backman,  to step up.

Probably should focus on mid year draft first. 

Posted (edited)

tipa or jamie elliot, surely we make a play at one or both of these blokes, both (i think) ooc, even if we dont get one it would keep both of our arch enemies honest

Edited by Paulo

I'll throw in my vote for trying to get Tipungwuti, and I'm a big fan of free agents because I'm convinced that not having to give up draft picks or anything else list-wise to get them is an absolute rort, so Stephen Coniglio, come on down!

But here's a suggestion from way out, which actually caught me by surprise. Horses for courses, value for money, etc etc

He's young, he's tall, he takes marks on a lead inside 50, and he is third in the league for goal assists this season, he fills a specific need without costing a first-round pick, and he is stuck in a queue behind multiple top-end key forwards at his current club, he is: (drumroll please)

Harrison Himmelberg!

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I'll throw in my vote for trying to get Tipungwuti, and I'm a big fan of free agents because I'm convinced that not having to give up draft picks or anything else list-wise to get them is an absolute rort, so Stephen Coniglio, come on down!

But here's a suggestion from way out, which actually caught me by surprise. Horses for courses, value for money, etc etc

He's young, he's tall, he takes marks on a lead inside 50, and he is third in the league for goal assists this season, he fills a specific need without costing a first-round pick, and he is stuck in a queue behind multiple top-end key forwards at his current club, he is: (drumroll please)

Harrison Himmelberg!

Signed a new four year deal with GWS at the beginning of the month.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Signed a new four year deal with GWS at the beginning of the month.

Pishposh, contract schmontract. ;)

I should've mentioned that contract, but the main thing it means is that Himmelberg can't be traded out unless he agrees to it.

So, if it so happens that Melbourne's need of an extra, competitive and team-oriented key forward remains glaring, and GWS finds itself under the pump for salary cap room keeping Coniglio, then all could work out nicely. Himmelberg goes from 'also-played' (with the possibility of being the fourth key forward with all types covered) to being a fixture, Melbourne get the role-player they need, and GWS relieves a little salary cap room and gains presumably a second-round pick to help shape their other potential trades.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Grab anyone with PACE SKILL AND A HEART

draftees : Matthew Rowell, Hayden Young and Noah Anderson are my clear top 3.  But I think as bad as it has started, we will finish above Kangas, Suns, Blues, Lions or Dogs. Likely 13th spot. Pick 6.  

Brodie Kemp, Caleb Serong or Dylan Williams are the young agile mids that have appealed for likely additions if we get a low pick around 5-7 range. Brodie Kemp will rise and rise given he is ready to go round 1 2020 type.

For trade period, pace, skill and heart.  

1. Ed Langdon (Freo) is most likely. MFC 2020 1st round for Langdon and Freo 2020 2nd Round.  

2. Zak Jones and Swans 3rd pick 2020 for MFC 2nd round pick. 

3. Tom Cutler from the Lions. Probably trade Jkh to Lions or perhaps Josh Wagner. 

what on earth are you on??

No way on earth would sydney let go of Zac Jones for a 2nd round pick. Not even that but they have to lose their 3rd rounder in the process! 

If you're going to post, be realistic. Zac Jones would require a mid range 1st round pick at the very least. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, A F said:

I can't seem to find a link to support this, but I could have sworn since signing May, the Club had said we've still got money in the cap to target another FA at the end of 2019.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:14 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

I also recall that said but not sure it came from someone at the club or a media commentator.  And, I guess it depends where on our pay scale the FA lands.

I haven't searched but it was definitely in the media - as a more interesting subtext to a different lead from memory.

Edit: And to clarify, from a media source, but not as speculation.

As perhaps supportive evidence - I think the last time the club spoke out loud - maybe in the Lever year - we had room for two big fish. Lever may have been one but Hogan and May probably cancel each other out. Ergo: room for at least one more. 

Also, I don't know why I/we collectively stress so much about the cap: every other club when they land someone big seem to fit it in just fine. Some of them over and over again. I think we the supporters overthink it as tighter than what it really is.

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dr.D said:

No way on earth would sydney let go of Zac Jones for a 2nd round pick. Not even that but they have to lose their 3rd rounder in the process! 

If you're going to post, be realistic. Zac Jones would require a mid range 1st round pick at the very least. 

Mid range is pick 9 or 10.  Zak Jones is not worth that at all. Back to the mad scientist lab for Dr.D! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skuit said:

I haven't searched but it was definitely in the media - as a more interesting subtext to a different lead from memory.

As perhaps supportive evidence - I think the last time the club spoke out loud - maybe in the Lever year - we had room for two big fish. Lever may have been one but Hogan and May probably cancel each other out. Ergo: room for at least one more. 

Also, I don't know why I/we collectively stress so much about the cap: every other club when they land someone big seem to fit it in just fine. Some of them over and over again. I think we the supporters overthink it as tighter than what it really is.

It’s correct - we’ve been astute with our payment structuring and have the room. Hence why Weideman’s manager thinks he can ask for $700k.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

It’s correct - we’ve been astute with our payment structuring and have the room. Hence why Weideman’s manager thinks he can ask for $700k.

Tell him he's dreaming! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

1 hour ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Tell him he's dreaming! 

😆  buy him a castle.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, Skuit said:

Also weren't we saddled with a couple of years of Watts' contract (a chunk of it, that is)? That should finish this year too.

1 hour ago, Roger Mellie said:

Also weren't we saddled with a couple of years of Watts' contract (a chunk of it, that is)? That should finish this year too.

I believe it was a couple of years  of a small % of Watts' contract. I recall PJ saying that it was something like $20k pa, though don't quote me

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2019 at 12:07 AM, Dr.D said:

14 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Mid range is pick 9 or 10.  Zak Jones is not worth that at all. Back to the mad scientist lab for Dr.D! 

His career average Disposal Efficiency is above AFL average @ 76% (AFL average roughly 73%).  Kicking efficiency also @ 69.6% vs AFL roughly about 68%.  Also quite high given where he is playing vs peers playing a similar role i would think but just a guess.  More an uncontested ball winner v contested at about 2 to 1.  Might be just the tonic for our mostly inside coal face mid field.

However, the above was mostly during a period of reasonable performance from the Swannies and his team mates.

With things not so good for them in 2019 ......

Season averages so far... Disposal Efficiency @ 66.3% & Kicking Efficiency @ 57.8% both down significantly and both well below AFL averages.  In particular kicking.  A bit of extra pressure around the ball and drops right off maybe?  Only 6 rounds in but that's a bit of a concern for mine.   Draft light sitting on amber with that drop off.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1