Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2019 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Nascent

4 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

you can't be a 'one role only' player in modern footy

i understand that, but many still are, Tom Mitchell is an in and under player, won a brownlow, Luke Shuey ha splayed in the middle all his career.. because he is good at it.. there are heaps of players that really can only play one position but its ok because they are good at it, that is Gus, if a player has a definitive strength, a strength that saw him have a breakout year and finish 3rd in a Brownlow Medal, you would think the club would play to those strengths. Why on earth has the club messed with that formula. 

Edited by Demon3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

i understand that, but many still are, Tom Mitchell is an in and under player, won a brownlow, Luke Shuey ha splayed in the middle all his career.. because he is good at it.. there are heaps of players that really can only play one position but its ok because they are good at it, that is Gus, if a player has a definitive strength, a strength that saw him have a breakout year and finish 3rd in a Brownlow Medal, you would think the club would play to those strengths. Why on earth has the club messed with that formula. 

i guess that's because they are, predominantly, positive users of the pill who also work hard defensively

brayshaw has a lot of work to do to round out his game

brownlow voting means little these days; it's voted on by the maggots and - let's face it - they seem to have NO IDEA re what's happening on the ground, so why trust them with their 3-2-1 votes?

3 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

No they wouldn't, Gus finished 3rd in the Brownlow last year and has proven class, just because he's had a down year doesn't mean he's value has dropped that much. He'd still warrant a first rounder on it's own, pick 10-15 or so. Hypothetically if he did want to go west with his brothers then I'd be asking for Cerra and Langdon with no picks exchanged, unless we were going for Hill as well. 

I guess you missed the italic part in my post which said "at the moment".

Gus would not get us a 1st rounder now.

He's has had one good year. I do not rate the Brownlow count as a true reflection of a player's value. He was not 3rd best in the league last year.

Langdon has shown consistent good form last year and this year. They play different roles, neither is a particulary good kick.

Not saying I want Gus traded by any means, but i do know we need outside run more than an inside mid at the moment. There's that phrase again!

Cerra and Langdon for Gus is an LSD induced dream. Where do we sign? Not going to happen.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

i think an ideal/realistic 2020 line up would be 

B: Nev Jetta                       Steven May                        Jake Lever 

hb: Christian Salem           Sam Frost                        Michael Hibberd 

c  Brad Hill                       Clayton Oliver                     Issac Smith

hf:   Christian Petracca     Tom McDonald                Jake Melksham

f:  Joel Smith/Jayden Hunt     Sam Weideman           Bailey Fritsch 

Fol: Max Gawn                     Jack Viney                 Angus Brayshaw

I/C:  Aaron VandenBerg/Nathan Jones   James Harmes   Noah Anderson     Ed Langdon

Good team, but I reckon we're one KPF/3rd tall short and I don't think we can rely on T.Smith/Keilty to replace Weid on injury or form. Should be looking to recruit another senior forward that can currently play more consisntently better than Weid can, but should be surpassed in 2 or so years. As a KPF or 3rd tall. I don't have Joel Smith in the team. Player like Essendon have with Shaun McKernan or Mitch Brown. I've said it before but if Josh Jenkins is gettable on a 2 year dael you'd grab him and have him in there. Who else? Richmond had Caddy playing tall in 2017 and he cant get into the their team. Mind is drawing blanks right now

Edit: Also need a livewire crumber which if we're being realistic, we could obtain with your Isaac Smith pick, and play Baker on the other wing.

Edited by John Demonic

4 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I guess you missed the italic part in my post which said "at the moment".

Gus would not get us a 1st rounder now.

He's has had one good year. I do not rate the Brownlow count as a true reflection of a player's value. He was not 3rd best in the league last year.

Langdon has shown consistent good form last year and this year. They play different roles, neither is a particulary good kick.

Not saying I want Gus traded by any means, but i do know we need outside run more than an inside mid at the moment. There's that phrase again!

Cerra and Langdon for Gus is an LSD induced dream. Where do we sign? Not going to happen.

I disagree on both fronts, objectively people don't think of trades as to how the players are playing right at this very minute, they take into consideration their past and how likely they are to produce that again. Given their ages etc. Langdon is playing the best he ever has while Brayshaw is down, but clearly has more talent so gets a much higher return. I don't want Gus traded either but if he requested to go then I'd be asking for someone like Cerra, plus more, so that's where we might Langdon came in as well. Again I think we'll keep Brayshaw for the longer term and end up paying a second rounder for Langdon. 

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I disagree on both fronts, objectively people don't think of trades as to how the players are playing right at this very minute, they take into consideration their past and how likely they are to produce that again. Given their ages etc. Langdon is playing the best he ever has while Brayshaw is down, but clearly has more talent so gets a much higher return. I don't want Gus traded either but if he requested to go then I'd be asking for someone like Cerra, plus more, so that's where we might Langdon came in as well. Again I think we'll keep Brayshaw for the longer term and end up paying a second rounder for Langdon. 

Agree on this part.

13 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think we need to have a good look for a second key forward to take the pressure off McDonald. and i don't think it's a big fish option. what creative lesser name options could we consider?

Sam Weideman ?

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think we need to have a good look for a second key forward to take the pressure off McDonald. and i don't think it's a big fish option. what creative lesser name options could we consider?

Patton from GWS, I know the Hawks have been mentioned but if he's knees ok then he's worth a look

1 minute ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Patton from GWS, I know the Hawks have been mentioned but if he's knees ok then he's worth a look

He might as well already be wearing brown and gold mate, we are zero chance. 

2 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Have heard that, but still worth asking the question, there's not much else out there. Callum Moore from the tigers is stuck in the reserves but is more a 2nd/3rd tall, but might be ok

I'm really not sure who we should look at, it's a tricky one. someone like Peter Wright from the Suns would be great if we could convince him to leave. 

47 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I'm really not sure who we should look at, it's a tricky one. someone like Peter Wright from the Suns would be great if we could convince him to leave. 

He signed up recently I think, I think we really need a quicker tall, tmac has a great tank and weid creates a great contest but neither are super quick off the mark, even a mid size super quick player. Not sure who though

Darcy Fogarty will likely want out of Adelaide. Looked like a strong and aggressive mid sized marking forward in his first season, but unable to cement a place in the team this year. I’d be targeting him to improve our forward line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/shows/david-and-will/Seven-Adelaide-Crows-Players-Want-OUT-At-The-End-Of-The-Year

Not sure on the validity of this, but perhaps there could be some Adelaide players available come October.

That was an interesting listen. Find out quickly if any good players want out and Lay-By , AfterPay or whatever it takes. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Darcy Fogarty will likely want out of Adelaide. Looked like a strong and aggressive mid sized marking forward in his first season, but unable to cement a place in the team this year. I’d be targeting him to improve our forward line.

100% if we could get him and Betts for a decent price i reckon that'd be a good result. 

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

That was an interesting listen. Find out quickly if any good players want out and Lay-By , AfterPay or whatever it takes. 

Over on reddit/bf

Apparently it's (from the Adelaide BF board)

Betts

Keith

Greenwood

Fogarty

Hartigan

Knight

Jenkins

Greewood is a gun mark too. Jenkins could be a bullocking kpf when happy, despite his detractors. Fogarty also an excellent mark, Betts might have a year left in him as a small forward and rumours of Keith and the Dees asking about him. Rich pickings (if at all true)

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

Re the Adelaide blokes;

Jenkins is 31 at the start of next season, is on big money for the next two seasons coming up, and plays best as third option

Fogarty is thicc and thick; too small to play kpp and too slow for a role in midfield - Crows have tried him in all three areas of the ground at sanfl level and he simply doesn’t get involved in the play 

Greenwood is akin to Harmes - good player but not a world beater 

On 7/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, Dee tention said:

Todd Marshall from Port is gettable...

I really like this idea. I haven't seen him play this year but he looked like he had all the attributes we need apart from size (which will come in time I hope). Good smart user of the footy, good mark, poise. Could be the power forward we are missing and will be entering his 4th year of AFL footy in 2020. Anyone know much more about him? Has played 6 games in 2019.

24 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I really like this idea. I haven't seen him play this year but he looked like he had all the attributes we need apart from size (which will come in time I hope). Good smart user of the footy, good mark, poise. Could be the power forward we are missing and will be entering his 4th year of AFL footy in 2020. Anyone know much more about him? Has played 6 games in 2019.

He'll be biding his time waiting for Ryder to be traded and Westhoff to retire, plus Port showed incredible support when his parents died, so I doubt he'd be actively wanting out. He also is very inconsistent, much like Weid really. 

27 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

He'll be biding his time waiting for Ryder to be traded and Westhoff to retire, plus Port showed incredible support when his parents died, so I doubt he'd be actively wanting out. He also is very inconsistent, much like Weid really. 

Would be a good get, but Port probably not keen to move him on and no word on him wanting out.  Plenty of opportunities in Port forward line coming for Marshall.

Not much else on the key forward front at other clubs.  Anyone of decent value is getting a game and unlikely to move, those that aren’t getting games are untried (Toby Wooller, Patrick Kerr).

One player that fell out of the AFL system and has gone back and done well at state league level is Liam McBean.  Might be worth a look and would likely be a better option than Tim Smith as ruck relief.

• Like 3