Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

WERRIDEE

52 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Our forward line already sucks. You want to go with those two as our key forwards (assuming TMac stays back)?

Why not? Smith did ok last week. Keilty deserves a chance and Weid needs to go back to the NFL and learn how to mark a ball.

• Like 1

In: O.McDonald

Out: Viney

Won’t satisy anyone’s bloodlust, but I’m fine with that.

TMac to go forward again. Weideman stays in. We need to figure out how to make that combination work again - it’s far too important for the future to abandon now. It’s reason #1 why we’ve been garbage.

Not too interested in any other fringe player swaps, though I wouldn’t be averse to having a look at Keilty.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nasher said:

In: O.McDonald

Out: Viney

Won’t satisy anyone’s bloodlust, but I’m fine with that.

TMac to go forward again. Weideman stays in. We need to figure out how to make that combination work again - it’s far too important for the future to abandon now. It’s reason #1 why we’ve been garbage.

Not too interested in any other fringe player swaps, though I wouldn’t be averse to having a look at Keilty.

Not sure why we'd bring in Oscar here. Who's his match up and what does he bring to the side that we don't already have with Frost, Hore and Hibberd?

Given Hawthorn's KPF stocks are pretty thin, I wouldn't be bringing in another defensive tall. I'd be looking at more pace for the likely Hawthorn spread on the G. 

I'd be looking at Spargo or Sparrow to replace Jack. Spargo is probably the more likely.

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding Werridee'ish, I'd like to propose a team for this coming week, and my reasoning for it:

I believe our problems are fixable with the talent we currently have available, and can be turned around in a relatively short period of time, with the right approach - and a few tweaks. In short my premise is that our main problem is with our mids, and their poor delivery into our forward 50. We have no problem with getting the ball into our 50 - enough times to win a game if we convert - its just that our delivery is so bad, our forwards do not stand a chance in hell - with the obvious outcome being turning the ball over and speedy delivery of the ball to the other end of the ground. One solution, i feel, is to place our best ball users into the middle.

I also feel Jones best position now is to replace Nev in the back pocket. And a suggestion by another poster of placing Petracca onto a back flank to bring him into the game more, I also like. Brayshaw is a great ball gatherer, and around goals his kicking is far better than his sub standard field kicking. So i like him on a forward flank - taking Traccs position.

For what it is worth, here is my team (assuming current injury status):

Jones, Frost, Hore

Petracca, Hibbert, Lewis

Fritsch, Melksham, Salem

Hunt, Weideman, Brayshaw

Garlett, TMac, T Smith

Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I/C Stretch, Keilty, Lockhart and Sparrow.

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Not sure why we'd bring in Oscar here. Who's his match up and what does he bring to the side that we don't already have with Frost, Hore and Hibberd?

Given Hawthorn's KPF stocks are pretty thin, I wouldn't be bringing in another defensive tall. I'd be looking at more pace for the likely Hawthorn spread on the G. 

I'd be looking at Spargo or Sparrow to replace Jack. Spargo is probably the more likely.

I dunno mate, just assumed we’d need two talls. Haven’t watched a red second of Hawthorn this year. If we don’t, so be it. The point was I want TMac back in to the forward line.

35 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I dunno mate, just assumed we’d need two talls. Haven’t watched a red second of Hawthorn this year. If we don’t, so be it. The point was I want TMac back in to the forward line.

I reckon Hore is doing a good enough job as interceptor / 2nd KPB. I reckon we can play Tom forward this week, because I doubt he'd have a match up down back anyway.

He's likely to be playing on O'Brien, so there's a chance he could get busy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

out- Garlett, Viney, ANB, Smith

in- Spargo, Sparrow, Baker, Preuss

if some of our guys aren't contributing much id rather we try get some games into some of the younger blokes and try to find some replacements for them instead. 

Why O why we keep coming back to Spargo. The guy had 13 disposals (50 odd Dream team points in the two's), wasted his kicks and we want him back after this one game. He needs a block in the two's to show something first.

19 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

At the risk of sounding Werridee'ish, I'd like to propose a team for this coming week, and my reasoning for it:

I believe our problems are fixable with the talent we currently have available, and can be turned around in a relatively short period of time, with the right approach - and a few tweaks. In short my premise is that our main problem is with our mids, and their poor delivery into our forward 50. We have no problem with getting the ball into our 50 - enough times to win a game if we convert - its just that our delivery is so bad, our forwards do not stand a chance in hell - with the obvious outcome being turning the ball over and speedy delivery of the ball to the other end of the ground. One solution, i feel, is to place our best ball users into the middle.

I also feel Jones best position now is to replace Nev in the back pocket. And a suggestion by another poster of placing Petracca onto a back flank to bring him into the game more, I also like. Brayshaw is a great ball gatherer, and around goals his kicking is far better than his sub standard field kicking. So i like him on a forward flank - taking Traccs position.

For what it is worth, here is my team (assuming current injury status):

Jones, Frost, Hore

Petracca, Hibbert, Lewis

Fritsch, Melksham, Salem

Hunt, Weideman, Brayshaw

Garlett, TMac, T Smith

Gawn, Oliver, Harmes

I/C Stretch, Keilty, Lockhart and Sparrow.

I dunno mate, we tried one of our better ball users in Melk in the guts last week and he turned it over heaps as well. I believe it has more to do with our midfield set ups myself. we don't like using wingers and just like to bang it forward instead. good teams look to hit up a short 20m kick these days then try to shift defences to catch out the zone. seems to happen to us a fair bit anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

Why O why we keep coming back to Spargo. The guy had 13 disposals (50 odd Dream team points in the two's), wasted his kicks and we want him back after this one game. He needs a block in the two's to show something first.

because he's young and Jeffy is not. like I said if jeffys not contributing i'd prefer we get games into Spargo.

55 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

because he's young and Jeffy is not. like I said if jeffys not contributing i'd prefer we get games into Spargo.

Jeffy at least makes the opposition nervous.

They look at Spargo & have little fear that he can stick a tackle even if he can catch them.

Harsh but true at the moment...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rjay said:

Jeffy at least makes the opposition nervous.

They look at Spargo & have little fear that he can stick a tackle even if he can catch them.

Harsh but true at the moment...

im not sure jeffy makes oppo nervous anymore though. I guess it all depends on whether you think Jeffy will be given another contract at years end. I don't think he will, so with this year being pretty much a write off, i'd be planning for the future instead.

6 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

im not sure jeffy makes oppo nervous anymore though. I guess it all depends on whether you think Jeffy will be given another contract at years end. I don't think he will, so with this year being pretty much a write off, i'd be planning for the future instead.

Spargo isn't physically strong enough for AFL football at the moment.

Also not fast & needs something if he's going to be the future...

15 minutes ago, rjay said:

Spargo isn't physically strong enough for AFL football at the moment.

Also not fast & needs something if he's going to be the future...

yet Spargo didn't have a problem with not being strong enough last year, and Jeffy has never been strong either. I don't buy it.

45 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

yet Spargo didn't have a problem with not being strong enough last year, and Jeffy has never been strong either. I don't buy it.

Buy what you like...but go back and watch.

He had the same problem & it hasn't been fixed.

He gets run over & run through, can't stick a tackle & I think that's a liability.

Particularly when he also doesn't hit the scoreboard.

9 minutes ago, rjay said:

Buy what you like...but go back and watch.

He had the same problem & it hasn't been fixed.

He gets run over & run through, can't stick a tackle & I think that's a liability.

Particularly when he also doesn't hit the scoreboard.

Yeah I know what Spargos deficiencies are, but what I can't buy is using them as a reason not to play him when Jeffy has the same issues but is at the end of his career. Us not making finals will be the worst thing that could happen to the likes of Jeffy, and Lewis, who are out of contract. As soon as finals arent possible the coaches will look to move on from them pretty quickly imo.

7 hours ago, Demon Dude said:

Jeffy has the same issues

No Jeffy doesn't have the same issues as Spargo.

Jeffy's are in the head.

He has 'X' factor, he's a known goal kicker, he's fast & he can tackle.

These are all issues we can only wish Spargo had without the mental fragility.

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

Jeffy's are in the head.

Well put rjay.

just read the Casey review. Sparrow in for Viney.

56 minutes ago, rjay said:

Jeffy's are in the head.

Jeffy used to be those things, but he's not anymore. Except for still being mentally fragile that is. He might show the odd bit of his old self from time to time, but not enough.

Some of you guys must still think we are going to play finals this year. We aren't. Time to plan for the future. I would rather give games to Spargo and Chandler than Jeffy now. Their output would be on similar levels to Jeffy, but at least they come with some possible upside for the future.

21 minutes ago, Demon Dude said:

Jeffy used to be those things, but he's not anymore. Except for still being mentally fragile that is. He might show the odd bit of his old self from time to time, but not enough.

Some of you guys must still think we are going to play finals this year. We aren't. Time to plan for the future. I would rather give games to Spargo and Chandler than Jeffy now. Their output would be on similar levels to Jeffy, but at least they come with some possible upside for the future.

Read my other posts and you will know this is not the case.

May and Lever will make a difference, plus getting some K's into some of the others but we're not good enough this year.

...but there is no use putting games into players who are not ready and to my mind not going to be AFL level players...

I don't see the upside in having a player on the ground who can't carry his weigh and at least offer a contest.

We just don't have the talent at Casey, and the injury list is hurting us.

The only one I would have a good look at is Sparrow and I think his best position will be in defence rather than as a mid.

Time to try him there and give him some games to develop.

Jeff has to play, he can run through the middle as well now and again. 

Sparrow for Viney - give the kid a month.

Keilty - maybe - need a look at him but this is the thing at the moment as we devoid of hope and spark, a bloke who kicks 2 in a reserves game looms as a great white hope. Idelaly you put a Keilty in when we are going well, not when we are struggling.

Cant drop Weid IMO.. show him some support and he might come through. 

• Like 1