Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST GAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

olisik

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Apart from Hogan, those guys wouldn't have made a lick of difference last night. Are you trying to tell us that Dom Tyson would have helped change the outcome of the game? Or that Jack Watts would have stood up under the pressure? 

You're kidding yourself. 

Won plenty of games inc 2 finals without all those players, goes deeper than that & still question our culture & what shape did the non injured players turn up for this season

There were those before the game suggesting that Riewoldt and Lynch would kick 8 each, so those criticising T Mac should have a look at Lynch's stats

• Like 3

Depth is overrated. Our biggest issue is our most important structural players are playing like crap.

Depth players always look great when the team is flying and ordinary when the team sucks. They are the effect, not the cause.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hogan - wanted out

Watts - right call

Kent - perennially injured, wanted security of a longer contract

Tyson - right call, absolute butcher of the footy, gets caught - now playing reserves for North

Bugg - right call, no longer playing senior footy

Pedersen - right call, past it

Vince - retired

I don't understand how anyone can bag the club for these decisions

Hogan was pushed out, I believe he would have stayed. It made lesser forwards (Tmac and Weid) play out of position.  As second and third talls they could win their positions. All the others were reasonable decisions, the bad call problem was the replacements. None have made us a better team yet. Some may work out in the future.

Edited by Deehumanizing

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Depth is overrated. Our biggest issue is our most important structural players are playing like crap.

Depth players always look great when the team is flying and ordinary when the team sucks. They are the effect, not the cause.

Exactly. Nailed it. Been saying for last week we need our top 6-10 players playing at their very best with others contributing for us to start firing up again. At moment it is just not happening and I would go as far as saying none of our better players are playing to their best.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, loges said:

There were those before the game suggesting that Riewoldt and Lynch would kick 8 each, so those criticising T Mac should have a look at Lynch's stats

Agree, TMac played tight on Lynch and nullified him. I thought it was a good demonstration to his brother and Frost on how it’s done.

It’s easy to sook about TMac’s ball use coming out of defence, but honestly that’s such old news I’m amazed anyone still bothers. He’s a 100% known quantity as a defender; we all know what the tradeoff is, and we got what we paid for last night with him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Agree with most of this. 

Season is shot.

Fritsch us being played out of position by necessity because of injuries. He is the most natural wingman on our list and we need to play him there for the rest of the season . No wonder his confidence is shot he does not have the build to play back.

In regards to our I50, the delivery is diabolical often because there is nobody there unless it's a centre bounce. They all press so far up the ground and when we win it the opposition simply outrun us,  chase and we kick under pressure usually straight to an opponent.

This comes down to fitness and game plan , both of which are downright disgraceful which is an indictment on both the players and the coaching staff. 

This.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JV7 said:

Hindsight is a lovely thing but there was something deep inside me during the pre season that was worried. I almost put on a false hope that we would be premiership contenders. What had me worried was the following:

- We never really stamped ourselves last year against the better sides, we weren't assured finals until round 22. We played good footy against middle of the road to lower sides than average to poor against the best. 

- Losing Hogan and having TMac as the focal point, I was big on this. Even though there was no Hogan for large parts of the year & finals it is a huge mental pressure on TMac knowing he's 1 out. 

- Weideman was never going to be ready to step up, he's played 1 good game so far in his career albeit a final. He may well make it in a few years time but none seriously thought he could kick 40+ goals this year.

- We got extremely lucky & faced 2 sides in the finals who were well and truly cooked, Hawthorn & Geelong were average sides last season. Then we got found out against a good side in the Prelim

- Sides were always going to find a way to combat our style, I feel as though Goodwin & the coaches stuck their head in the sand & thought "We'll just do us & forget the rest" let's not worry what sides may do to us & how we can combat & almost be a step ahead of the competition. This may partly be due to Goodwins inexperience

- I haven't read much into the 6-6-6 but it can't have helped us, we liked to get a 7th defender behind the ball to help our lack of key defenders which has exposed us badly. The extras off the back of the square also was something we'd use to great effect over the past few years.

All we can do is hope this is a learning year for the players & Goodwin. He has a blank canvas for 16 weeks for trial & error. See what does & doesn't work, in game & on game day. Get Lever & May back to sure up our defence and get a  relatively high draft pick & pick up a good kid. Finish 13th & get a good draw next year & learn from all mistakes made last pre season to hit 2020 running

Great summary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Great summary. 

The more I look into & forward the more my mindset changes. As hard as it is, lets get enthused by the challenge facing us, by seeing what Goodwin & this list is made of. Like I said 16 weeks to find ourselves from the boot studder (if they still exist) to the President. 

Find out who is mentally strong out of this group to take us to the next level, it is just so disappointing because some felt we were right up there with the top contenders but clearly we aren't this year. As hard as it is, we go to the footy for the rest of the year & see how we can evolve & change to get things right for 2020. It hurts because it's "always next year" but this AFL game is a long journey, sometimes one step back to go 10 steps forward could be what we need, we haven't taken a step back since our gradual rise of the ladder from 2014 onwards

Edited by JV7
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, RedButMostlyBlue said:

Ugh. We're terrible.

I got my 7-day-old son to watch this game. I told him when he was born that he's going to be a Dee. No joke, he started crying after the siren.

What have I done?

Same as me.  Completely f'ed up.  My 6 year old last night asked if he could barrack for Geelong. 9 year old daughter jumped ship two years ago against my will with the words 'they're just no good dad' (chose West Coast).  Another ten year old son is sticking fat but he is severely traumatised.

My daughters point was spot on. 

We are a [censored] football club.   Won 1 Lost 5.  Bottom of the ladder.  Melbourne Football Club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, SPC said:

We are the ugliest team to watch, that is for sure. Goodwin has some serious questions, midfield is deplorable 

Midfield is magnificently potent - and remains deplorable. Thanks, SG.

5 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Find out who is mentally strong out of this group to take us to the next level, it is just so disappointing because some felt we were right up there with the top contenders but clearly we aren't this year. As hard as it is, we go to the footy for the rest of the year & see how we can evolve & change to get things right for 2020. It hurts because it's "always next year" but this AFL game is a long journey, sometimes one step back to go 10 steps forward could be what we need, we haven't taken a step back since our gradual rise of the ladder from 2014 onwards

You already have your answer. As soon as PJ retired the whole club has collapsed. NOBODY has the drive and desire from within. 

Have you heard a word from the President this year?

this club can only survive with training wheels, take them off and we are a pathetic shambles. 

No idea what happened at qtr time, we went from play on take risk team to slow ball movement down the line.

We played the last 3 qtrs trying not to lose by 10 goals, we gave ourselves no chance of winning.  Our forwards pushed that high into defense leaving 6 Richmond defenders accross the middle of the ground free picking of any ball we cleared 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You already have your answer. As soon as PJ retired the whole club has collapsed. NOBODY has the drive and desire from within. 

Have you heard a word from the President this year?

this club can only survive with training wheels, take them off and we are a pathetic shambles. 

Why do you still follow the club WYL? I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to watch games or log on to Demonland if I thought the situation was irredeemably hopeless.

• Like 4

Nice of Goody to give the players 4 days off to relax, regroup and focus. They must be absolutely stuffed after 1 win this season and not turning up on the other  games. Poor petals.

• Angry 1

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Did anyone see ANB crumb a front and center contest and had Tim Smith running past him into an open goal only to then hold onto the ball and get tackle.... ?‍♂️

That was funny

10 possies at 40% efficiency is 4 effective possies for the game. Brought in to apply pressure and laid 1 tackle. Fumbles, I lost count.

Not only is our confidence and skill level down on last year, but our energy is very flat .

We we’re a brutal team last year, where is that?

Somethings not right behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Why do you still follow the club WYL? I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to watch games or log on to Demonland if I thought the situation was irredeemably hopeless.

Can’t change Clubs Nasher, simple as that. 

This year has really pushed me though. 

I have been worried since the PF, the coach let the players off. They didn’t hurt enough over last years loss and are now paying for it. 

How else can a team like last year become an embarrassment within 6 months?

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Our list management and one dimensional game style (with fixation on keeping it and recruiting coal face insiders...without any evasive finishing skills or burst speed) has come back to bite us big time.

Every club seems to be celebrating the emergence of new players except us.

I don't know how many goals we lost and then gave away because of skill errors.

Petracca must have fumbled 10 times.

I wouldn't blame Taylor for our list, as I think he has been directed in the sort of player to draft.

I am confident he can pick up some different types of players, if allowed to.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

10 possies at 40% efficiency is 4 effective possies for the game. Brought in to apply pressure and laid 1 tackle. Fumbles, I lost count.

He was a leader in forward line pressure last year, which made his uncleanliness with the ball bearable. Adds nothing to the team if he’s not doing that.

• Like 2