Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Saints are rubbish. Have beaten Gold Coast by 1pt, Essendon when they were a shambles, lost to Freo and beat the Hawks on one leg. 

If we bring the same defensive mindset and contested footy, we should beat them easily. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t matter how fast they are if we’re in control of the ball.

We can beat them. Not saying we will, just that we can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Doesn’t matter how fast they are if we’re in control of the ball.

 

They're going to get their hands on the ball

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can’t beat St Kilda just because they have some fast runners we might as well give up now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sisso said:

If we can’t beat St Kilda just because they have some fast runners we might as well give up now.

Correct 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Saints are rubbish. Have beaten Gold Coast by 1pt, Essendon when they were a shambles, lost to Freo and beat the Hawks on one leg. 

If we bring the same defensive mindset and contested footy, we should beat them easily. 

So the bombers just magically went from a shambles to good in the week before they played us?

St Kilda aren't world beaters by any means but I share the OP's concern that they run hard and fast. They've also got a decent smattering of guys who will cause us trouble - Webster, Billings, Gresham, Bruce, Membrey and at least 1 or 2 of Lonie/Kent/Parker/Long.

The Swans are slow and sluggish from half back and in the midfield. That's why we were allowed to play our style. We'll need to lift it up a level again to make we get the game on our terms against a side with more pace and innovation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Saints are rubbish. Have beaten Gold Coast by 1pt, Essendon when they were a shambles, lost to Freo and beat the Hawks on one leg. 

If we bring the same defensive mindset and contested footy, we should beat them easily. 

I wouldn’t say they are rubbish, seemed to have improved a bit from last year. However kicking only 74 points on a perfect day for football against a team that was down 2 key defenders shows that they don’t have a lot of scoring firepower. As Max said, we need to continue on from Thursday night and that means defensive pressure. If we bring that we will always outscore a team like the Saints.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those worried about the run of St Kilda, from a strategy perspective, what would you do with our team of players and what  strategy should be employed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to judge St Kilda on that Hawthorn went in without a single contested ball midfielder and lost both their key defenders during the match.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the saints under pressure they handball to a stationary guy 4 feet away...we just need to pressure them

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DeeSpencer said:

So the bombers just magically went from a shambles to good in the week before they played us?

St Kilda aren't world beaters by any means but I share the OP's concern that they run hard and fast. They've also got a decent smattering of guys who will cause us trouble - Webster, Billings, Gresham, Bruce, Membrey and at least 1 or 2 of Lonie/Kent/Parker/Long.

The Swans are slow and sluggish from half back and in the midfield. That's why we were allowed to play our style. We'll need to lift it up a level again to make we get the game on our terms against a side with more pace and innovation.

The level of intensity and application Essendon showed against us was at least double what they showed against St Kilda.

That was little to do with St Kilda being better than us (which was also true), it was more about how Essendon attacked the contest or generally cared about the game. In the first half of their game, Essendon was non-existent. St Kilda were playing a below-VFL level side. 

They've beaten a developing young side in GC by 1 point, an Essendon side which played the worst half of footy anyone will play this year whilst struggling to hold them off, and they beat Hawthorn by a kick despite the Hawks having at least 6 injuries and only 2 on the bench for a half. 

If we're talking their 3-1 record alone, I'm not worried in the slightest.

It's not their W-L record which is the thing we should be worried about. St Kilda play a style of game which, when they're on, is our achilles heel. They'll use the space on the G, they'll bring pace, and if we leave too much space behind our press then they'll find it easier to score than they have in the opening four rounds.

This is not going to be easy for us, but St Kilda is not a good side.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell is wrong with Scully, slow and indecisive.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

For those worried about the run of St Kilda, from a strategy perspective, what would you do with our team of players and what  strategy should be employed?

We will win more than our fair share of clearances, so I think we go a long way to winning this game of footy by ensuring we don't let the Saints get some easy ball when it hits the deck - the last thing we need is the Saints hitting a few quick handballs and then streaming through the guts with it.  Membrey and Bruce are the queens of hanging out the back in space for some easy goals, and they'll look like millionaires if we let them do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

...we just need to pressure them

Yes we need to bring pressure and intensity for four quarters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Saints are rubbish. Have beaten Gold Coast by 1pt, Essendon when they were a shambles, lost to Freo and beat the Hawks on one leg. 

If we bring the same defensive mindset and contested footy, we should beat them easily. 

They are not rubbish.

I too am worried about the saints outside run and dash. On a big ground at the MCG they will expose us if we do not defend carefully and restrict their space.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They are not rubbish.

I too am worried about the saints outside run and dash. On a big ground at the MCG they will expose us if we do not defend carefully and restrict their space.

I reckon @titan_uranus summed it up well - while they're not a good football side, their strengths are what we struggle to contain at times, and thus it will make it a tough game for us.  We can beat them if we bring the type of footy we played in the second half of last week, or in the two finals against Geelong and Hawthorn last year, for example.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, one_demon said:

I don't think we can beat St Kilda's fast, hard running

I'm with you

Essendon cut us apart with their running and clean hands, Saints did that to us last year Rd 15 also

We need to bring unrelenting pressure and choke them down to be a chance

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

The level of intensity and application Essendon showed against us was at least double what they showed against St Kilda.

That was little to do with St Kilda being better than us (which was also true), it was more about how Essendon attacked the contest or generally cared about the game. In the first half of their game, Essendon was non-existent. St Kilda were playing a below-VFL level side. 

They've beaten a developing young side in GC by 1 point, an Essendon side which played the worst half of footy anyone will play this year whilst struggling to hold them off, and they beat Hawthorn by a kick despite the Hawks having at least 6 injuries and only 2 on the bench for a half. 

If we're talking their 3-1 record alone, I'm not worried in the slightest.

It's not their W-L record which is the thing we should be worried about. St Kilda play a style of game which, when they're on, is our achilles heel. They'll use the space on the G, they'll bring pace, and if we leave too much space behind our press then they'll find it easier to score than they have in the opening four rounds.

This is not going to be easy for us, but St Kilda is not a good side.

Before every side plays MFC they go to MRP/ Umpires Review panel and find out what is going to be the way the umpiring is going to concentrating on the following week. That's why they were pathetic and biased against us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an extra 3 days rest over the Saints.  If we can't beat them with such a head start then we don't deserve to compete for finals.

The players and coaches will not have forgotten how we let that game slip last year: too little, too late.

We will win.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

We have an extra 3 days rest over the Saints.  If we can't beat them with such a head start then we don't deserve to compete for finals.

The players and coaches will not have forgotten how we let that game slip last year: too little, too late.

We will win.

I'm not sure too much can go into the extra three days break. We'll be planning for the subsequent four day turnaround into ANZAC Eve. We'll necessarily have to rotate/manage our players for that break.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, willmoy said:

What the hell is wrong with Scully, slow and indecisive.

SCARED !!!!!!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I'm not sure too much can go into the extra three days break. We'll be planning for the subsequent four day turnaround into ANZAC Eve. We'll necessarily have to rotate/manage our players for that break.

I was thinking an extra 3 days of recovery from niggles and bruises for the players, not extra training.  To my mind the extra 3 days rest is a considerable advantage to freshen up, especially if we are wanting to curtail Saint's speed.  3 extra days rest should also enable us to run out the game better.

As for the 4 day break to ANZAC Eve.  Rich have the same 4 day break but they have two days less recovery than us this weak having played yesterday.  No excuse for either team not turning up ready to play ANZAC Eve.  It will be a level playing field.

Potentially we have quite a few players fresh for next week or ANZAC Eve.  Casey have no game next week and by all accounts Garlett and Petty played well so they are available vs Saints or ANZAC Eve.  Lewis, May and Jetta probably won't play vs Saints as they are coming back from injury and a 4 day break may not be enough.  So they will be very fresh for ANZAC Eve.  Plenty of flexibility there to rotate players and keep the team fresh.  Richmond are in the same boat to manage the return of Houli, Cotchin and Riewoldt.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...