• Podcast      

ProDee

Israel Folau

It appears Rugby Australia is planning on ripping up Folau's contract over his bigoted remarks concerning homosexuality, among other things

Most Australians won't agree with his views, including me, but he should be able to express his religious beliefs in a free democratic society.  

Unfortunately, Australia doesn't really have ''free speech''.  It's very restricted.  The USA, through its constitution, has much more free speech than this country.

If he is sacked it's a disgrace.

• Like 1

I’m not a religious person but freedom of speech is important to me. If someone says or types something stupid the reply should be easy and call the speaker or writer down.

it is very easy easy to call out an idiot or idiotic ideas.

Folua is an idiot he should not be sacked from doing his job for it.

The context here is important. He is on a multimillion dollar contract and his employer has asked him to refrain from posting this kind of stuff on social media. I don’t have strong feelings about whether he should be sacked but am not surprised that it has come to pass.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Karate said:

The context here is important. He is on a multimillion dollar contract and his employer has asked him to refrain from posting this kind of stuff on social media. I don’t have strong feelings about whether he should be sacked but am not surprised that it has come to pass.

Yes that seems to be the situation. His employer pays him big money and has set down rules about social media use. Israel has been warned on numerous occasions not to do what he did or suffer the consequences. Israel chose to go one more time on his proselytising campaign, as he does in the lead up to Easter each year, so Rugby Australia has apparently decided to cut ties. Fair enough, they are not silencing Israel, they are just withdrawing their payments, most likely because their sponsors have cracked it! 

If Isreal really believes in his views he will gladly pay a price, isn’t that the definition of a religious martyr! But given his mercenary tendencies, that is to take the biggest pay cheque wherever it may arise whether it be at GWS or for various rugby clubs and national teams I suspect he won’t like losing a single $ for his beliefs. 

Amazing athlete, not the sharpest tool in the shed and certainly has zero loyalty to anyone except himself and perhaps his close family and religious community. 

I pity our chances in the up coming World Cup now. 

• Like 3

I thought we had freedom of speech, as far as I am concerned he can say what he likes, if people don't like it bad luck, but he is entitled to speak his mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

I thought we had freedom of speech, as far as I am concerned he can say what he likes, if people don't like it bad luck, but he is entitled to speak his mind.

Which is the case, no one is silencing him. Rugby Australia is just not happy, that is all. 

12 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Which is the case, no one is silencing him. Rugby Australia is just not happy, that is all. 

Stuff em

This isn't really a free speech issue though is it?

I mean, "free speech" is about the government making laws (or I guess the courts creating laws by rulings and precedent) that prevent people from saying certain things.

The government isn't involved here. He's not being thrown in gaol or slapped with retraining orders.

He can say whatever the hell he wants as long as it doesn't break the law, which I can't see that he's done. If he's [censored] off his employer on the other hand, that's a workplace/employment/contractual/code of conduct issue. If his sponsors don't like it, they can pull out. If society doesn't like it, they can ragetweet him. But the government and law enforcement hasn't taken action from what I've read, and that's a good thing.

Free speech allows him to say what he wants without fear of government censure. It doesn't insulate him from the consequences brought on by people who disagree with him like his employer or his fans or a contract that stipulates he keep his trap shut. They can censure or reject him all they want. They're not the government. They don't make laws.

I'm not overly riled up about this. There's a couple of Exclusive Brethren who bug me to accept Jesus every time I go for a walk at lunch who annoy me more. But they've got the right to tell me I'm a sinner as much as I have the right to boisterously laugh in their faces.

• Like 3

Qantas pretty much got Folau sacked. Qantas is in partnership with Emirates, the same company that sponsors Collingwood . Emirates is owned by the UAE. What do the UAE leaders do to homosexuals? They stone them, torture them and put them to death.

It’s nothing to do with freedom of speech directly... he did something similar last year that caused a [censored] storm on social media, and as a result his employer asked him to refrain in future, as by association, it is a poor reflection on them and is bringing their brand into disrepute.  He’d had his warning and now that he has repeated the “offence” his employer has decided to act in defense of their brand, as they are entitled to do.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He’s damned anyway, apparently...

0817A969-78BE-43BE-845D-46E773F05592.jpeg

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 2

Money-hungry moron. Good riddance.

Excellent comment from Bluey's dad. "Free speech" is a pretty fluid concept, I suppose. We've all got our own interpretation of what it means. Nobody's throwing him in jail - he's just disobeyed a clear instruction given to him by his employer. I've worked with plenty of employer's conditions   - always worked within them or paid the consequences. 

I've noticed this a bit from the hard-right snowflakes of late - (see Anning, F) - dare to interrupt the flow of their vile bile and you're impinging upon their 'free-speech.'  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, hardtack said:

It’s nothing to do with freedom of speech directly... he did something similar last year that caused a [censored] storm on social media, and as a result his employer asked him to refrain in future, as by association, it is a poor reflection on them and is bringing their brand into disrepute.  He’d had his warning and now that he has repeated the “offence” his employer has decided to act in defense of their brand, as they are entitled to do.  

This is what it comes down to really. If one of our players had repeatedly [censored]-canned Asians (for example), been warned not to do it again but continued to slam Asians regardless, which then led to MFC losing the China southern Sponsorship, we as a club would also be within our rights to get rid of that player.

He can say (almost whatever) what he likes but if the boss gave you multiple warnings.........

Yeah, too many rush to offence these days, particularly millennials (Softest generation in history), but this is a bit different imo. 

Edited by ding
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, hardtack said:

He’s damned anyway, apparently...

0817A969-78BE-43BE-845D-46E773F05592.jpeg

So Hard ask Hardtrack expects poor persecuted Israel to be totally faithful to his creed. Fair enough, old chap, he expects all others to obey the letter of his law.

Posted (edited)

I hope He's sacked...  and I hope the Australian Rugby Union Players themselves,  say they do not want him in the team.

To think these types of people think they can make public statements to all who would hear...  that Gays,  & any "living in Sin",  etc,  will burn in hell... 

Well,  I think he is over the top.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

Apparently God told him to do it! Can’t see how any of us can argue against what he did now that now. 

Gooorne ~ sacked from Rugby Union.