Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Martin

ding

26 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Easy pass for mine.

He clearly has little ambition (aspires to join Carlton ffs) beyond earning more cash, and has minimal understanding of how he can join or contribute to a successful team. 
I suspect he’s loath to consider us because with Langdon, Fritz etc... he might have to work hard to justify the bickies he wants.

next. 

Agree wholeheartedly. You'd think this bloke was an absolute star. Had done nothing in his career to justify the hype. He reminds me of Richard Tambling.  Who hasn't got an ounce of hard work in him and will coast through his career on talent alone. Carlton can have this lazy campaigner, suits their culture perfect.

Rather focus on the likes of Jack Newnes who would actually add a lot to our side. Or if we are planning on taking risk then do it on Harley Bennell, at least he has shown to be quite elite when on the park. Watched Bennell kicked 6 in a game against Geelong playing as an on baller collecting 27 disposals back in 2014.. Breathtaking talent.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Not sure what hard ball pick exchange deals we could do with the Blues to make them earn this freebie. 

Perhaps we could agree they won’t draft weightman if we have a pick after theirs? Might give us a stronger hand with splitting picks with freo?!

16 minutes ago, Rolling Stone said:

Why is Martin’s manager writing off Melbourne’s interest so easily? Shouldn’t he be best representing his client by encouraging another club to deal with him? 

Manager's get paid a % of earnings so he'll push him towards the team who's going to pay Martin the most. Self interest is very evident with most player manager's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Martin has the option of going into the National Draft and picked up by the first bidder which won't be Carlton.

If he goes into the PSD and GCS take draft him he will have two choices:

• Sign for two years (the minimum term) and then ask to be traded next year.
  • Not sign, sit out a year and nominate the club of his choice in 2020.  GCS get zip.

He is probably better off signing a one-year deal with GCS and leave as an FA next year, even if he plays the year in the NEAFL.

GCS seem up for a fight and I reckon they will bid for him in the PSD - they have nothing to lose.

What's most likely LH? You seem more across player movement/contracts than most.

Would GC really use their first pick on him? Let Anderson slide to 3? Or will he more likely just re-sign?

If PSD and GC select him, what does that mean for his free agency status next year? If he leaves they'll get another pick 1 or 2 anyway a year later?

If GC pass, would we need to take him at 3? Or 8?

Seems our draft position has so many potential strategies it hurts my brain.

12 minutes ago, No10 said:

What's most likely LH? You seem more across player movement/contracts than most.

Would GC really use their first pick on him? Let Anderson slide to 3? Or will he more likely just re-sign?

If PSD and GC select him, what does that mean for his free agency status next year? If he leaves they'll get another pick 1 or 2 anyway a year later?

If he goes into the national draft I doubt either of us or GC would pick him up. Carlton don't look like they have the right picks, I think he'd go around the 25-30 range

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Of course we can, right up to nat draft night. Doesn't have to be completely skewed, just nicely in our favour. Eg. Our current 4th rounder + 2020 2nd round pick from Freo for their 2020 1st rounder. They can back themselves to improve next year.

i think the afl have rules against unrelated dependent type pick swaps. swaps should be of mutual benefit in themselves and not be related to any "rigging" of the draft. can't remember rules exactly but there is some catch-all to prevent "funny business" which naturally the afl decide in private. i.e. give me an advantageous pick swap and i promise not to pick player x. of course this can be disguised in many cases, but in this case might look a bit obvious.

just a thought

44 minutes ago, No10 said:

he won't go into the nd

37 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

he won't go into the nd

Thanks DC, I’m sure you’re right.

Then why the continued noise? And comments from his manager after trade period closed.

And if @Deefiant is right about around 25, then why did we inquire about him? Perhaps that was that before the end of trade.

I find the trade value and player movements confusing, I guess that’s why all these guys do it full time

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

If we are talking a shortage of cap space, what was the rush in re signing 30, 40 and 42?

Were they being chased by other clubs and are they in our best 22, no, so why the hurry?

I would estimate those combined salaries at least at $600-750 k this year. We also had room for Elliott so clearly we have more space.

I can't believe it is a salary issue, it will be Martin's preference being the issue.

So do we convince him or his Manager that his future is with us and if unsuccessful, take him anyway and try and make him happy then?

I'll tell you why it's a salary issue, he's reportedly looking for $650-700k per season.

What has he done to earn that,  nothing but potential and he's not a ball winning mid or key position player.

It sets a bad precedent paying overs for a player who's not fully committed to the club

Trac, Fritsch and Harmesy are all up for renewal next year. What do you say to them.

I maintain my stance, chase him by all means but don't be negligent.

If Blues want to throw coin at him he hasn't earned so be it

• Like 14

42 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Martin will end up at the Blues, put your house and super on it. 

Isn't he a contracted GC player?

If there is no trade he needs to wait another year?

If they let him through to carlton they get nothing. If they take him in the PSD then they get compo for him and get something.

It seems that they need to take a stand as a club

I have to say after I was super keen on him I am starting to think for the coin his asking it’s too much for us. While I think he would be a good fit for us he probably hasn’t shown enough yet to justify that kind of coin. I’d rather us invest in someone that wants to be at the club or give someone who would show a dedication to better himself for the team. 

The fact he has essentially turned us away without giving us the chance to speak to him, given his situation, smacks of arrogance. Undeserved arrogance and the Blues seem to go hand in hand. 

If we are given an opportunity to speak to him then maybe things can change. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, defuture15 said:

Isn't he a contracted GC player?

If there is no trade he needs to wait another year?

If they let him through to carlton they get nothing. If they take him in the PSD then they get compo for him and get something.

It seems that they need to take a stand as a club

He’s out of contract. 

11 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Easy pass for mine.

He clearly has little ambition (aspires to join Carlton ffs) beyond earning more cash, and has minimal understanding of how he can join or contribute to a successful team. 
I suspect he’s loath to consider us because with Langdon, Fritz etc... he might have to work hard to justify the bickies he wants.

next. 

he has no ambition because he wants to join carlton? Dude, we came 17th!

you could easily make an argument that they are closer to a flag than we are. You're too blinded by your loyalty to the dees that you can't properly evaluate our list and thus your comment about martin. I repeat...17th. 

if anything, our players demonstrate less ambition than any team in the league. we've got a top list on paper but came 17th. You can only talk excuses with injuries etc. if we came 9-12th but to finish 17th is a bloody disgrace.  

33 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

Difficult for GC.

Carlton in the box seat unless GC select him in the PSD.

There is some thought that GC will select him in the PSD, put him on a 1 year contract, then he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of 2020. They'll then get a 1st round compo pick, due to what Carlton are offering him and knowing the AFL will look after them.

Wouldn't matter if he plays most of the year in the NEAFL, or if he's a true pro they'll get another year out of him. Good chance GC will hold onto him, unless his wage demands are just too ridiculous, which is why I think we're being counted out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, No10 said:

Thanks DC, I’m sure you’re right.

Then why the continued noise? And comments from his manager after trade period closed.

And if @Deefiant is right about around 25, then why did we inquire about him? Perhaps that was that before the end of trade.

I find the trade value and player movements confusing, I guess that’s why all these guys do it full time

There's 2 different drafts, the national draft and the preseason draft. He's more likely to enter the preseason draft. The preseason draft happens after the national draft and in the past has been for delisted and players who missed out in the national draft. But with free agency and rookie drafts it's become less popular. 

Martin is more likely to enter the preseason draft as he's more likely to get to carlton. We enquired about him because in the preseason draft we have the pick before Carlton. GC also have the option of picking up with the first pick. 

Edited by Deefiant
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deefiant said:

There's 2 different drafts, the national draft and the preseason draft. He's more likely to enter the preseason draft. The preseason draft happens after the national draft and in the past has been for delisted and players who missed out in the national draft. But with free agency and rookie drafts it's become less popular. 

Martin is more likely to enter the preseason draft as he's more likely to get to carlton. We enquired about him because in the preseason draft we have the pick before Carlton. GC also have the option of picking up with the first pick. 

Ahhh. Of course PSD / ND.

So he’s not remotely in the conversation then. GC should select him, no question?

But sounds like he will extend another year

9 minutes ago, No10 said:

Ahhh. Of course PSD / ND.

So he’s not remotely in the conversation then. GC should select him, no question?

But sounds like he will extend another year

Potentially but they also have the problem of selecting a player who doesn't want to be there. We should still be having conversations about it happening but from the reports it's not looking good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I'll tell you why it's a salary issue, he's reportedly looking for $650-700k per season.

What has he done to earn that,  nothing but potential and he's not a ball winning mid or key position player.

It sets a bad precedent paying overs for a player who's not fully committed to the club

Trac, Fritsch and Harmesy are all up for renewal next year. What do you say to them.

I maintain my stance, chase him by all means but don't be negligent.

If Blues want to throw coin at him he hasn't earned so be it

Stop talking sense.

I have hated one club all my life and that is the blue scum.

I don't hate the players, just the club and its supporters.

Listening to them again this morning and their arrogance, just heightens my dislike of them.

They are rejoicing in the fact that they are going to screw the bottom club out of a number 1 pick player and get him for free. Their unbridled joy is sickening in the extreme.

Personally, I would be prepared to take him and let him stand out of footy for 2 years, if he wouldn't come to the party, just to stuff them up.

However, you are talking sense. We would have to overpay a player who has not earned it and it could upset our culture, salary structure and our players and for that reason only, if we can't convince him to come to us for a fair deal, let him go and so be it.

I hope another good player would then pop up that GC don't want ,or can't take and we get him instead.

I then continue to hope that the blue scum fail for many years to come.

Go Dees.

• Like 4
  • Love 2