Jump to content

  • Podcast     

  • Podcast     


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes i know. But this Club has long form at changing over the list, the wrong way. 

We need to replace about 5-6 players at years end. 

The right players need to be moved on, sentiment must not be a factor

Sure, which is why I used the examples of Lewis and Vince under the current club leadership.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have a friend who is a coach at Essendon. Can confirm this is one of the tactics they used. Another was his opponent streaming forward of the contest knowing Jones wouldn't/couldn't go with him. If we

If we review two players in similar stages of their careers at MFC, Jones and Lewis, and compare how we are reacting to the finish, or potential finish , to their careers, we appear to have different

Look, I value Nate Jones and respect the bloke. But he's never been more than just a good footballer. Having him amongst the club's greats on the basis on loyalty alone, sure, but if he's classified a

Posted Images


5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Sure, which is why I used the examples of Lewis and Vince under the current club leadership.

 

But they are top up Players, I am talking more “Melbourne” Players who need to go...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

But they are top up Players, I am talking more “Melbourne” Players who need to go...

Ok then, so which 'Melbourne' players have we kept on too long from an age perspective over the last 5-6 years?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 9:38 PM, Macca said:

Jones isn't the problem even though he is in his twilight years.  The most obvious problem is that we have any number of C & D graders who haven't given any real service to the club in terms of standout performances.  And to my eyes they probably never will. 

So 12-15 players could go before Jones and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.  Keep the good players and get rid of the rest - it isn't rocket science.

We've got about 12-15 decent players along with about 5-8 up and comers and that's about it.  And many of those 12-15 decent players have struggled this year (for one reason or another) thus the poor W/L record.  It isn't just the coach or the coaching staff.  We are falling short in a number of areas.

So I would definitely keep Jones around as we are a long long way from having a decent replacement for him.  He is doing ok across half back anyway which is a lot more than can be said about numerous others. 

Macca...the most truly unfortunate thing about your post is that you are right...any of 12 ought to go before Jones.  The difference for mine is that Nathan ought to hang up his boots  as well. Ought to...but he may not. The game has gone past him and how many other teams would he be considered best 22 ?? My guess..NONE.  His position at Melbourne is as much about our own malaise as it is about his own effectiveness.

We need to stop continually running up the flagpole the ol' gem of he's a stalwart of the club. Even if he is, that doesnt mean you get a gig. It meas you get a thankyou and a place in our History.. You get our thanks for being there when it was indeed pretty woeful. I am always reminded it's a professional sport. Men aren't volunteering for the front...they are getting paid to perform on the highest stage this sport provides.  Im sorry all it comes down to bang for buck.  He's only been able to provide a glimmer because SO MANY are out. In a fashion he's doing his own Bradbury !!  That and he epitomises a very basic style of game which the  "Brains Trust " ( and I use that very loosely) seem very keen on.

If we are to advance we need better disposers of the ball.Regardless of anyone's persuasion this has never been Nathan's forte.

Irrespective of all of this , if the same folk are running our ship ( into the ground ) then he'll more than likely get another year.

Other have..and I will too...you have to wonder if Clarkson would pander to him ??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Ok then, so which 'Melbourne' players have we kept on too long from an age perspective over the last 5-6 years?

 

I am more worried about Attitude and long term injuries than age, at this stage. But i will be disappointed if Jones, AVB are playing next year  Stretch is a great trainer but is very average on match day  

Omac has got 8 weeks to prove himself...

The rest i need to think about...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I am more worried about Attitude and long term injuries than age, at this stage. But i will be disappointed if Jones, AVB are playing next year  Stretch is a great trainer but is very average on match day  

Omac has got 8 weeks to prove himself...

The rest i need to think about...

That's not what you've been arguing though mate. You've been saying we've held on to 'Melbourne' players too long out of sentiment.

We've had huge list changes over the last 5-6 years if you're going to start talking about general trades and delistings rather than older 'Melbourne' players.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Macca...the most truly unfortunate thing about your post is that you are right...any of 12 ought to go before Jones.  The difference for mine is that Nathan ought to hang up his boots  as well. Ought to...but he may not. The game has gone past him and how many other teams would he be considered best 22 ?? My guess..NONE.  His position at Melbourne is as much about our own malaise as it is about his own effectiveness.

We need to stop continually running up the flagpole the ol' gem of he's a stalwart of the club. Even if he is, that doesnt mean you get a gig. It meas you get a thankyou and a place in our History.. You get our thanks for being there when it was indeed pretty woeful. I am always reminded it's a professional sport. Men aren't volunteering for the front...they are getting paid to perform on the highest stage this sport provides.  Im sorry all it comes down to bang for buck.  He's only been able to provide a glimmer because SO MANY are out. In a fashion he's doing his own Bradbury !!  That and he epitomises a very basic style of game which the  "Brains Trust " ( and I use that very loosely) seem very keen on.

If we are to advance we need better disposers of the ball.Regardless of anyone's persuasion this has never been Nathan's forte.

Irrespective of all of this , if the same folk are running our ship ( into the ground ) then he'll more than likely get another year.

Other have..and I will too...you have to wonder if Clarkson would pander to him ??

We need all the experience we can get.

Roos brought in experienced players because he could see the gaping chasm that the club had.

Jones is a keeper for that reason.  He plays if his form holds up and if not,  he'll have to play in the 2nds.  But that rule applies to all players.

I have seen your views on Jones previously and we are poles apart on how we view the player.  We can do a back and forth here but that will prove fruitless. 

Agreeing to disagree is the better way to end the conversation.  But you are certainly entitled to your view. 

Taking a closer look at the list tells me that there are about 20+ players I'd let go before Jones.  The talent levels fall away dramatically past the top dozen players or so.

We need to turn the list over but as always,  finding better replacements is a difficult assignment.  There just isn't that many good players in the system or players coming into the system.  The drafts tell us that.  And there are a stack of C graders who end up being swapped around the clubs too ... because of the above reasons.

I also think it's time to play the ageing veterans in a different way ... play them in selected games or blocks of games and then rest them up for the next lot of games that they might be required for.  It happens in other sports (soccer especially) so why not in the AFL. 

List spots are often taken up by any number of NQR's anyway so why not?

So I'm one for keeping the ageing talent around ... their experience is invaluable and they can be great for building a club's culture.  My playing days taught me all that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

That's not what you've been arguing though mate. You've been saying we've held on to 'Melbourne' players too long out of sentiment.

We've had huge list changes over the last 5-6 years if you're going to start talking about general trades and delistings rather than older 'Melbourne' players.

 

I have said we have held onto players too long over 40-50 years. You have mentioned 5-6 years. 

I am waiting to see how strong the Board is NOW, after PJ and Roos have left and Bartlett is standing alone...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have said we have held onto players too long over 40-50 years. You have mentioned 5-6 years. 

I am waiting to see how strong the Board is NOW, after PJ and Roos have left and Bartlett is standing alone...

The people in charge now haven't been in charge for 40-50 years though, so to me that's irrelevant.

I've already given you the examples of Vince and Lewis as far as 'sentiment' v hard decisions goes.

I wouldn't have thought the board would be overly involved in list decisions? I'm honestly a bit confused about what you're even trying to say now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

The people in charge now haven't been in charge for 40-50 years though, so to me that's irrelevant.

I've already given you the examples of Vince and Lewis as far as 'sentiment' v hard decisions goes.

I wouldn't have thought the board would be overly involved in list decisions? I'm honestly a bit confused about what you're even trying to say now.

 

The MFC Attitude is what i am talking about. 

What is it now that “The Help” has been and gone?

are we any stronger or has nothing changed?

This Club has been starved a lot longer than 5-6 years. It’s all part of our history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The MFC Attitude is what i am talking about. 

What is it now that “The Help” has been and gone?

are we any stronger or has nothing changed?

This Club has been starved a lot longer than 5-6 years. It’s all part of our history. 

So for you, if Jones plays next year (even though he's played every available game this year) then the board is weak?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Macca said:

I also think it's time to play the ageing veterans in a different way ... play them in selected games or blocks of games and then rest them up for the next lot of games that they might be required for.  It happens in other sports (soccer especially) so why not in the AFL. 

must say I thought something similar about Gary Lyon after 1987 with his back problems. Said to a mate why not start him midway through the season so his body could stand up at the business end of the season.

Was told it would never work. Of course lists in those days were much bigger than today so it was in a way easier.

Your thoughts could apply to Gawn as well with Preuss giving him a rest

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Macca  keeping the conversation interesting...

Experience in and of itself only has currency if it can translate into something meaningful. Agree/Disagree ?

If so...how does Nathan bring that experience to bear in any meaningful way  ( positive outcome ) ?

Yes we do have quite a chasm in thinking about Jones...but I truly have to wonder apart from the gusto what example he presents if he gets ball ... and then bangs ball somewhere  ( invariably to the opposition ) I really wonder what benefit all that experience is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

So for you, if Jones plays next year (even though he's played every available game this year) then the board is weak?

 

I would have moved him on at the end of 2017 at the very latest. 

So for him to be still playing on a Wing in 2019 is ridiculous 

So yes would be my answer. This year has been an absolute dogs breakfast disaster and i expect  big changes after Round 23 or i will not be financially involved in 2020

I have to make a stand....

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

@Macca  keeping the conversation interesting...

Experience in and of itself only has currency if it can translate into something meaningful. Agree/Disagree ?

If so...how does Nathan bring that experience to bear in any meaningful way  ( positive outcome ) ?

Yes we do have quite a chasm in thinking about Jones...but I truly have to wonder apart from the gusto what example he presents if he gets ball ... and then bangs ball somewhere  ( invariably to the opposition ) I really wonder what benefit all that experience is.

Jones can teach the young kids how to lose with dignity....

that is all he knows...

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I would have moved him on at the end of 2017 at the very latest. 

So for him to be still playing on a Wing in 2019 is ridiculous 

So yes would be my answer. This year has been an absolute dogs breakfast disaster and i expect  big changes after Round 23 or i will not be financially involved in 2020

I have to make a stand....

So now you won't renew your membership if Jones is on the list next year?

Sorry mate, love your passion, but that's a bit silly.

Up to you though, we'll wait and see I guess.

Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Nev said:

So now you won't renew your membership if Jones is on the list next year?

Sorry mate, love your passion, but that's a bit silly.

Up to you though, we'll wait and see I guess.

Cheers.

Jones not being on the list is only one of many problems. 

But he no longer has any pace, so yes i do not want to see him playing next year. 

He wants at least 2 more years. 

So how strong is the Club after the disaster of 2019???

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

@Macca  keeping the conversation interesting...

Experience in and of itself only has currency if it can translate into something meaningful. Agree/Disagree ?

If so...how does Nathan bring that experience to bear in any meaningful way  ( positive outcome ) ?

Yes we do have quite a chasm in thinking about Jones...but I truly have to wonder apart from the gusto what example he presents if he gets ball ... and then bangs ball somewhere  ( invariably to the opposition ) I really wonder what benefit all that experience is.

If we go on current form Jones might have found a niche for himself at half back.  But he could play forward as a tryout. 

Our forward line is full of non achievers and is largely dysfunctional so why not?

As previously stated,  I'd keep him on and if his form holds up he plays,  if not,  he plays 2nds.

It's not like we have a long list of ready replacements.  Our depth is deplorable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

must say I thought something similar about Gary Lyon after 1987 with his back problems. Said to a mate why not start him midway through the season so his body could stand up at the business end of the season.

Was told it would never work. Of course lists in those days were much bigger than today so it was in a way easier.

Your thoughts could apply to Gawn as well with Preuss giving him a rest

Agreed ... the game is now so taxing on the body that I'm surprised that there hasn't been a call for bigger lists.

The salaries would be spread furthet but once the transition is made,  you don't have to do it again.

The lists were much bigger back in the day probably for good reason.  The past can teach us a lot sometimes DJ.  And footy can learn from other sports.  For instance, Soccer is a lot about squads rather than best 11.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

If we go on current form Jones might have found a niche for himself at half back.  But he could play forward as a tryout. 

Our forward line is full of non achievers and is largely dysfunctional so why not?

As previously stated,  I'd keep him on and if his form holds up he plays,  if not,  he plays 2nds.

It's not like we have a long list of ready replacements.  Our depth is deplorable.

is he a roaming leading small forward you suggest ?   amazing myself by thinking thats not the worst thing that could happen   But the bar is set low at present.. who knows...his mates might just kick it to him

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

is he a roaming leading small forward you suggest ?   amazing myself by thinking thats not the worst thing that could happen   But the bar is set low at present.. who knows...his mates might just kick it to him

I would have Jones over Garlett,  Hannan or Spargo any day of the week.

At least you know Jones is going to provide a contest and he can win his own ball.  And he is a more reliable kick for goal.

Not exactly a small forward per se but why do we have to follow convention?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Ok then, so which 'Melbourne' players have we kept on too long from an age perspective over the last 5-6 years?

 

I its longer than 5-6yrs ago but david neitz played on to long his last year he couldnt take a simple mark.His body was gone,but the club got him to 300 games and he deserved it.Great leader and great club man,so let jones play out his time ,he will know when to go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macca said:

Agreed ... the game is now so taxing on the body that I'm surprised that there hasn't been a call for bigger lists.

The salaries would be spread furthet but once the transition is made,  you don't have to do it again.

The lists were much bigger back in the day probably for good reason.  The past can teach us a lot sometimes DJ.  And footy can learn from other sports.  For instance, Soccer is a lot about squads rather than best 11.

 

Bigger lists are the way to go,clubs could rotate more players through the seconds ,i rekon it would take a lot of body and mental stress off the players and reduce injuries,considering the game has changed so much,and is played at such a pace and higher impact to bodies

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, forever demons said:

Bigger lists are the way to go,clubs could rotate more players through the seconds ,i rekon it would take a lot of body and mental stress off the players and reduce injuries,considering the game has changed so much,and is played at such a pace and higher impact to bodies

Add 6 players and dispense with the whole rookies thing.  Make them full list players.

I year contracts as the clubs see fit too ... 2 year deals for the top 36 draft picks.  After that,  a player takes what he can get.  So lists of about 50 is my call.

We're looking at about an extra million per club per year but the whole process could be done incrementally.  The clubs & the AFL could find a way.

But we're dealing with an AFL that are poor custodians and they too often have got their eyes set on the $$$$'s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...