Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What to do with Nathan Jones

Wrecker45

14 hours ago, america de cali said:

“Physically, I feel as good as I’ve ever felt. I’m contributing as much as I have to the team, albeit in some different roles,” Jones told Footy Classified.

“I’m still captain of the footy club, along with Jack and I’m really confident with where my body and head is at right now. I’m committed and more driven than ever to see us succeed”

Nathan needs to be honest with himself, earlier this year he gobsmackingly said he could play for another 5-6 years. He doesn't look to be enjoying his footy as much either, but losing would do that also. Hopefully someone like Sparrow develops into the "current" Jones role.

13 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Nathan needs to be honest with himself, earlier this year he gobsmackingly said he could play for another 5-6 years.

I may need to go back and watch it again, but I'm 99% sure he did not say 'another 5-6 years'.

Stop trying to over-dramatize things.

14 hours ago, DubDee said:

people are seriously falling for this media driven drivel?

People are always falling for media-driven dribble.

About game plans.
About selective pictures shown of the coach in the box.
About the non-importance of injuries and the pre-season.
About contracts.
About player values.
About the opinions of personalities.
About interviews.
About everything really.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

Watch what? It was on radio muppet

What radio station then?

From what I remember, it was on 'On The Couch' around May/June.

Happy for you to provide a link though, especially if you're going to roll with insults without backing up your statement.

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

What radio station then?

From what I remember, it was on 'On The Couch' around May/June.

Happy for you to provide a link though, especially if you're going to roll with insults without backing up your statement.

It was on SEN earlier in the year from memory, maybe with Maher. It's not my job to look, feel free yourself though, I already know what I heard. You're a Jones fan and that's OK too.

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

It was on SEN earlier in the year from memory, maybe with Maher. It's not my job to look, feel free yourself though, I already know what I heard. You're a Jones fan and that's OK too.

Ok, so no source, no effort and more assumptions.

For the record, here is Jones on 'On The Couch' in early June saying 'I want to play for a few more years, but will consider what's best for the club'.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019-06-12/rd-12-on-the-couch-nathan-jones

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

For the record, here is Jones on 'On The Couch' in early June saying 'I want to play for a few more years, but will consider what's best for the club'.

Thanks for that, but that wasn't the interview. Cheers

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

I may need to go back and watch it again, but I'm 99% sure he did not say 'another 5-6 years'.

Stop trying to over-dramatize things.

If it wasn't 5-6 it was close.
At least 5.
I heard it too and thought he's forken dreaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFebes said:

Thanks for that, but that wasn't the interview. Cheers

40 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

If it wasn't 5-6 it was close.
At least 5.
I heard it too and thought he's forken dreaming.

Sounds convincing guys.... I'll await your link before taking your words for it.

6 hours ago, praha said:

let's be honest, it's legacy pay from here on out. If AVB, Hannan, Melksham were on the park where would Jones even play? Thank you for your service. One year contract and one more turn around the merry go round. Hope we nab a flag for him but won't happen. TBH I'd not be surprised if he requested a trade to a contender.

AVB is quickly becoming Banquo's ghost

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

A few generally means more than 2 and 5 or less. Like a handful. Consistent with with what SFebes said. Jones sounds as deluded as some on here if he is serious about either statement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, america de cali said:

A few generally means more than 2 and 5 or less. Like a handful. Consistent with with what SFebes said. Jones sounds as deluded as some on here if he is serious about either statement.

Lol. Not interested in having a semantics debate with some of the worst posters here, but saying 'I want to play for a few more years, but will consider what's best for the club' is pretty different from saying 'I want to play for 6 more years'.

That's all from me on that though, it's getting a bit silly now.

9 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Lol. Not interested in having a semantics debate with some of the worst posters here, but saying 'I want to play for a few more years, but will consider what's best for the club' is pretty different from saying 'I want to play for 6 more years'.

That's all from me on that though, it's getting a bit silly now.

Lol.

fingers in your ears.jpg

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:
Tom Petroro confirms on 3AW Nathan Jones will sign a new deal in coming days. Has the chance to make heaps of cash if he plays. Should be thrilled they have offered him a new deal. Ox and Lloyd had wondered he he should be cut loose

Wow, Mahoney rolls over again at the negotiating table. Guess Jones is our leading goal scorer at the club now after all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:
Tom Petroro confirms on 3AW Nathan Jones will sign a new deal in coming days. Has the chance to make heaps of cash if he plays. Should be thrilled they have offered him a new deal. Ox and Lloyd had wondered he he should be cut loose

I suspect he may have turned down a higher pay packet on offer elsewhere to finish as a one club Demon.  A rare man of genuine loyalty in the usual trade circus.

A decent pre-season vs the one cut short this year.  Cleans up some questionable decision making / disposal under heat AND Goody plays him sparingly off HF & as a cameo mid (bit more time on the bench and 'managed' more professionally in season) you never know.  Very difficult for someone to transition to the outside this late in a career but no doubt trying his guts out and giving it his all as always.

A great clubman and true professional who deserves to go out on a high note.

Good luck for 2020 Mr. Jones.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I actually don't mind this DD, this season exposed our depth issues and just like Crossy, Bernie and Lewy Chunks time is coming and it would be good to have him as depth which I expect he will be if the majority of our list remains fit

Edited by Demonland
Removed abuse
  • Like 2

Pretty disappointing some of the disrespectful comments about Nathan Jones on here.

He was the few Demon players who made it worth attending games from during the dark days of 2012 and 2013. Plus he has won 3 best and fairest awards (2012, 2013 and 2014) for the MFC. Not only that but he has been Captain and Co-Captain of the club. He also currently sits 2nd in the most amount of games played for the MFC.

The bloke tries his guts out and is a champion of the MFC. Obviously, he hasn't had the best of years and has looked slow at times, but I still think he can play another 2 or 3 years. Definitely at least 1 more year. The facts are he was underdone and also never had a chance to have a full preseason. Plus I think Nathan Jones is better played in the primarily in the midfield, the half forward flank or even as a forward pocket. I have always believed Nathan Jones to be a handy goal-kicker. The game against Sydney at the SCG earlier in the year when he kicked 3 goals proved that. Playing Nathan Jones as a wingman or half back flank was never going to work.

Hopefully, he should also beat David Neitz's games record of 306 games. Ideally I would like to see Nathan Jones play about 320 odd games. Having only ONE 300 game player for a club that is 160 years old is a disgrace in many ways but that's another issue altogether.

Whether or not Nathan Jones gets to hold up a Premiership cup before he retires as he thoroughly deserves is another question.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2

We’re not going to delist a captain, so if he chooses to stay, he stays. 

If after the trade period he is still considered in our B22, he plays. 

If not, he becomes a depth player. 

The captaincy is probably the most dubious aspect of his career right now. Not necessarily whether he remains in the team or not. 

21 hours ago, olisik said:

Wow, Mahoney rolls over again at the negotiating table. Guess Jones is our leading goal scorer at the club now after all.

Not sure an incentives based contract for Nathan is as much rolling over as it is common sense and good list management. if he finds form in a new role and plays all year it'll help the team a lot, if he doesn't he will play in the 2's and make a lot less. it's just saying if you want to keep going, you're no longer safe prove you're best 22 week in, week out and it likely won't be in your best role 

• Like 3