Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

List needs

Demon JM

14 hours ago, Dr.D said:

like who? I can't think of 1 player.  Rivers is a rebounding def, Bowey is too. We have 1 lockdown defender and that's Lockhart and he is fringe. 

Your opinion DrD not mine.

Locky Could fiill the bill and Deakyn  Smith is promising and are our best options and this week we may have needed one or both.

I have to say it's hard to criticise our defence at all as even Nev was unlucky to be dropped but full of praise for Hibbo.

Huge praise for Jake Tommo  Riv Salo and Petty was good in 2nd half.

If we can keep them to say 22/23 shots we are right in this contest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulo said:

What are these players trade value

J harmes

B Brown

Petty

T Mac

Harmes: Late third
B.Brown: Early 2nd
Petty: No trade value
T. Mac: No trade value

Edited by Dr.D
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Harmes is injured, Sparrow was the sub and Laurie is injured too. Add Vanders and the 6 on ballers in the team - Gus, Melk, JJ, Viney, Tracc, Oliver and I think we’ve got the right number of centre square options. Versatility is the key for any additions  

Fair point, but that's why I said developing mid, rather than depth mid. I think we're ready for another mid who can come through the system in two or three years.

• 4 weeks later...

Might seem a tad reactionary to one point loss but I think tonight's game highlighted our lack of depth in the mid/small defender department. 

Jetta and Hibberd, while I love both of them and what they've given us over their journey, are past their prime and both now have significant flaws to their game. The sooner they are relegated to Casey by reliable defenders the better.

Lockhart and Hore have had a long time out and both unproven in my view.

Bowey and Smith developing as first year players.

Hunt has had an impressive resurgence this year in the back half but is also prone to significant form drops and unreliable kicking.

At this stage I only trust Salem and Rivers as consistent quality small/medium defenders.

I hope we target a solid half back or small lockdown defender this off-season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Might seem a tad reactionary to one point loss but I think tonight's game highlighted our lack of depth in the mid/small defender department. 

Jetta and Hibberd, while I love both of them and what they've given us over their journey, are past their prime and both now have significant flaws to their game. The sooner they are relegated to Casey by reliable defenders the better.

Hunt has had an impressive resurgence this year in the back half but is also prone to significant form drops and unreliable kicking.

At this stage I only trust Salem and Rivers as consistent quality small/medium defenders.

Had a chance last year when Alex Witherden was available.  In my opinion Eagles got him for a 3rd round pick which was an absolute bargain. He was squeezed out of Brisbane but is a highly skilled small defender.  Kicks it 9/10 times and  finds targets. Also dependable man on man. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Had a chance last year when Alex Witherden was available.  In my opinion Eagles got him for a 3rd round pick which was an absolute bargain. He was squeezed out of Brisbane but is a highly skilled small defender.  Kicks it 9/10 times and  finds targets. Also dependable man on man. 

See @spirit of norm smith this is exactly what I'm talking about. You've actually nailed it with this one. Witherden is the type of player who would have easily slotted into our side and make an instant impact

With Salem out,  Witherden would have been handy with his pin point and precise disposal across half back.

We definitely missed out on a good opportunity here unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Laurie, Bowey and Rosman are still unknown quantities and we've had a problem from a list planning perspective for quite some time - lots of our young guys on the fringe have been delayed and disrupted by injury such that we can't get a clear picture of what they can be.

It is possible we already have what we need on our list:

A determined and smart small defender with respectable kicking seems a high priority.

And as much as our half-forward hunting pack is fun, we do need a replacement for what 'Good Melksham' gave us for a while or we simply won't get enough of that time in forward half turned into actual goals.

I think this exactly what Melbourne are thinking and remember pre season the invited Kye Declase from Werribee to train with us. Most likely on Mark Williams advice and may still take him in the mid season draft.

19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

See @spirit of norm smith this is exactly what I'm talking about. You've actually nailed it with this one. Witherden is the type of player who would have easily slotted into our side and make an instant impact

With Salem out,  Witherden would have been handy with his pin point and precise disposal across half back.

We definitely missed out on a good opportunity here unfortunately. 

Witho is weak as [censored] and a seagull. Not quite convinced he has any real contribution to winning.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, WERRIDEE said:

We must go for John Patton. It will allow Tommy to go back all our key positions solved

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: HIBBERD, T.MCDONALD, FRITSCH

C : HARMES, OLIVER, SALEM

HF: HANNAN, WEIDEMAN, VANDENBERG

F: J.SMITH, PATTON, MELKSHAM

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, BRAYSHAW

IC: LOCKHART, PETRACCA, C.WAGNER, HUNT

That will be a team that will get us back in the finals.

bump ??

• Like 1

What do Harry Mckay, Logan McDonald, Eric Hipwood, Ben King, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Allen, Mitch Georgiades and Riley Thilthorpe all have in common?

None of them play for Melbourne.

We are one of the few teams without an up and coming star key forward....  We have to get a good young KPF this draft or trade period. Nnot sure if Mac Andrew is purely a KPF but we have to get him. The new rule is diabolical and we must do something about it.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:40 PM, Nascent said:

Bit rough on Hibbo who has done jobs all games bar this one.  Salem out hurt, and Jetta unfortunately doesn't cut the mustard anymore.  Think we got unlucky with Hore's injury, he is that good mid size that can take smalls and talls.

Hunt worries me, but is playing his role atm, but he could drop out for Bowey who is playing nicely at Casey.

Lockhart is an interesting one, seemed to be next in line before his injury but hasn't pushed for selection since.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:40 PM, Nascent said:

Locky needs to be tried again after Goody completely stopped his progress last season.

Is by far our best small defender and we need a smaller option to mind the pacey and quick Players in the AFL.

An investment now will make for big dividends by Finals  time in this  position and also in one  half forward  flank spot I think is open or possibly up for  grabs. 

27 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Bit rough on Hibbo who has done jobs all games bar this one.  Salem out hurt, and Jetta unfortunately doesn't cut the mustard anymore.  Think we got unlucky with Hore's injury, he is that good mid size that can take smalls and talls.

Hunt worries me, but is playing his role atm, but he could drop out for Bowey who is playing nicely at Casey.

Lockhart is an interesting one, seemed to be next in line before his injury but hasn't pushed for selection since.

Travy Don't think Jire is the answer he is an interceptor like Jake and IMO can't play on big talls or smalls not quick or agile  enough.

Give Locky a go now he has his fitness and form back to mind the oppositions best small. 

• Like 1

Just now, 58er said:

Travy Don't think Jire is the answer he is an interceptor like Jake and IMO can't play on big talls or smalls not quick or agile  enough.

Give Locky a go now he has his fitness and form back to mind the oppositions best small. 

Hore not Jire sorry 

On 4/23/2021 at 8:49 AM, binman said:

We have most positions well covered.

And we have a sytem new players can slot into.

I hope they now focus on drafting elite kicks.

Take the best kick available at every pick we have.

Agree Binman Skill and elite disposal still a big factor for finishing off our work .

On 4/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, Roger Mellie said:

Fair point, but that's why I said developing mid, rather than depth mid. I think we're ready for another mid who can come through the system in two or three years.

Sparrow should be given a go not Melky we need to look forward not backwards and youth is better than aging veterans. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:36 AM, Dr.D said:

Harmes: Late third
B.Brown: Early 2nd
Petty: No trade value
T. Mac: No trade value

That's completely different to their value for us though. 
DR D is underestimating Tommy who by the way seems best suited to the MCG these days!