Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sack everyone (mega-thread)

olisik

Our performance is currently substandard, our player development has been poor, we constantly lose stoppage and contests, our backline is under siege, our forward line isn’t functioning, our midfield is getting thrashed for contested footy and ball usage...our rucks are going okay......ish......

Who of the football dept are OUT of contract? Cos it’s all well and good to say “SACK EM!”  But we are not a rich club and can’t afford to just sack contracted coaches willy-nilly 

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, DV8 said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/club/people/staff-members

Coaching

Simon Goodwin Senior Coach
Brendan McCartney Player/Coach Performance Manager
Matthew Egan Head of Player Development
Ben Mathews Stoppage and Contest Coach
Troy Chaplin Backline Coach
Max Rooke Forward Line Coach
Craig Jennings Game Analyst and Education Coordinator
Justin Plapp Midfield Coach
Greg Stafford Ruck Coach

If you look at post #125 by AtboG Macca is listed as Defensive. ??‍♂️

6 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Our performance is currently substandard, our player development has been poor, we constantly lose stoppage and contests, our backline is under siege, our forward line isn’t functioning, our midfield is getting thrashed for contested footy and ball usage...our rucks are going okay......ish......

Who of the football dept are OUT of contract? Cos it’s all well and good to say “SACK EM!”  But we are not a rich club and can’t afford to just sack contracted coaches willy-nilly 

Sacking them now would be considered an investment in the club. To continue with such inadept staff members will drive the club into the ground and incur massive losses in lost revenue from membership.

We need to add Max Rooke to the list, our talls are failing to lead properly and mark and our Smalls never win the ground ball gets. Beggars belief why Garlett has been stuck in the 2s behind Spargo.

• Like 1

Finger pointing and tears going on all over the place. We don’t need all this panic.

All l want to know is who is going to  stand up and put the train back on the rails?

Surely has to be a cold hearted approach by the appointed leaders both on and off the field. They are the ones who really understand the underlying issues ( we are just guessing) and they need to make changes to address these problems effective immediately.

lf they can’t do it, then we need people who can,

l can’t imagine for a second PJ wouldn’t be up to his armpits in resolving the current situation.

• Like 4

On March 5, the most recent archived snapshot of the page, McCartney is listed as Player Coach Performance Manager.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190305052423/https://www.melbournefc.com.au/Team/players/coaches

That means that between then and now he has been reassigned to Defensive coach, with nothing communicated to members.

At this link he is still listed as the former: https://m.melbournefc.com.au/club/people/staff-members

At the current version of the above archived link, he is "defensive coach".

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/Team/players/coaches

Why weren't members and stakeholders educated about the change? 

With all of these rumours coming out now and with McCartney seemingly snuck into a Defensive coaching role, this all seems like the perfect storm.

Trust Melbourne to spend 6 years rebuilding itself and throwing millions at the best administrators and coaches in the game, only to regress back to the corporatised and political mess that it has been for 50 years.

[censored] like this pisses me off more than anything. Why do I pay $1500 a year? We shouldn't be kept in the dark. Where is the accountability?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dockett 32 said:

Finger pointing and tears going on all over the place. We don’t need all this panic.

All l want to know is who is going to  stand up and put the train back on the rails?

Surely has to be a cold hearted approach by the appointed leaders both on and off the field. They are the ones who really understand the underlying issues ( we are just guessing) and they need to make changes to address these problems effective immediately.

lf they can’t do it, then we need people who can,

l can’t imagine for a second PJ wouldn’t be up to his armpits in resolving the current situation.

This goes well beyond the playing group, my friend. Regardless of the working environment, if you have a mudslinging contest taking place amongst your leaders and managers, the toxicity sets in, and morale is shot. That someone from the club even had to say that "morale is still high" says a lot. The club says stuff it shouldn't, and stays silent when it should talk.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, praha said:

This goes well beyond the playing group, my friend. Regardless of the working environment, if you have a mudslinging contest taking place amongst your leaders and managers, the toxicity sets in, and morale is shot. That someone from the club even had to say that "morale is still high" says a lot. The club says stuff it shouldn't, and stays silent when it should talk.

You may well be right ,would be nice if something was done about it and people came clean.

I don't see anything wrong with BM being 'overall defensive' coach. Clearly we desperately need one. 

It means assistant coaches need to work together and take notice of BM to make the role work ie one team!  If they don't like it, bad luck.  If the players don't like, it bad luck. 

Goodwin gave him that role for a reason.  That is all we need to know.

Anyway, it seems to be being overplayed on here - the article says it is mainly a game day issue not some ongoing malaise among coaches. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

27 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't see anything wrong with BM being 'overall defensive' coach. Clearly we desperately need one. 

It means assistant coaches need to work together and take notice of BM to make the role work ie one team!  If they don't like it, bad luck.  If the players don't like, it bad luck. 

Anyway, it seems to be being overplayed on here - the article says it is mainly a game day issue not some ongoing malaise among coaches. 

Based on my above post it appears to have only been officially recognised just before the start of the season. If that's the case, was he "defensive coach" throughout the preseason or was it a last minute thing? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Was it Goodwin who gave him that role? Or people higher up?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Rumour, fake news, in depth analysis from every man and his dog, absolute twaddle on here

I wait for the club to confirm or deny anything, not interested

So are you saying that fans are not allowed to analyse team performances, that they have no knowledge of footy and have no right to offer an opinion?

Are you also saying that the club will publicly tell the truth about in house matters and that whatever it tells you is correct?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SFebes said:

We didn’t have a defensive coach last year and our defence was better. This could be a result of overcoaching going on here. Looking at other club sites, there’s no “defensive” coach. Just a backline coach. Although Richmond does have an offensive coach.

FD needs to put McCartney back into his old role I feel.

• Like 1

Just now, At the break of Gawn said:

We didn’t have a defensive coach last year and our defence was better. This could be a result of overcoaching going on here. Looking at other club sites, there’s no “defensive” coach. Just a backline coach. Although Richmond does have an offensive coach.

FD needs to put McCartney back into his old role I feel.

Our defence last year was still very bad, for half the year we leaked easy goals out the back and didn't defend very well. It's just that we out scored the opposition and were first to the ball except for two games. These issues are just an extension to what has been going on a long time now, that's coaching. I'd like to see BMc moved on along with other assistants, Rawlings back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SFebes said:

Our defence last year was still very bad, for half the year we leaked easy goals out the back and didn't defend very well. It's just that we out scored the opposition and were first to the ball except for two games. These issues are just an extension to what has been going on a long time now, that's coaching. I'd like to see BMc moved on along with other assistants, Rawlings back.

Attack is only as good as your defense. The more you score the more you stand to concede. Our defense had holes and the writing was on the wall in some games but we still improved dramatically on that area over 2017. However we have since regressed to defensive standards that we saw in 2013 and Roos' first year. Meanwhile our scoring has stopped. If we were allowing 15 goals a game but scoring 17-18 ourselves then no one would be talking about our defende. The problem is we're barely averaging 12 goals a game but comfortably giving up 15. So therein lies the problem. It was the opposite last year. Defensively across the ground we were quite good last year. This year we are a shambles. Defense goes beyond just backline efficiency. 

37 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Could be higher ups.

48 minutes ago, praha said:

Based on my above post it appears to have only been officially recognised just before the start of the season. If that's the case, was he "defensive coach" throughout the preseason or was it a last minute thing? 

Maybe it was a reaction to the JLT games...

Imagine if all bosses in the world were like this. Bad 5 weeks? Sack a bunch of key people. Sounds brutal and shortsighted at best. 

Not saying these 3 aren't part of the problem right now, but I'm failing to see any reasoned logic behind such a significant restructure so early in the season. Say we did sack these 3 effective immediately, and went on to lose the next 5 games with new guys, do we do the same again? Do we even have the funds to breach contracts like these so indiscriminately?

2019 is obviously a write off, and honestly that's not the worst thing in the world. Our linear improvement had to come to a halt at some point. The remainder of the season should be focused on developing young kids and giving game time to those who we think may contribute to the senior team over the next few years, getting some continuity wherever possible into our best 22 without taking any risks and giving the coaching staff the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of 2019 so far and correct them. 

I would support sacking Chaplin and McCartney at season end if we finish bottom 4, because frankly even though a step backward for us right now statistically is pretty normal, that's a too far of a step. But we may as well use the rest of this wasted season to see if they are capable of correcting the ships course.

I am worried about the arrival of Pert and the decline in many elements of culture. Players calling each other out, leaking of information ... its really concerning. I wish Jackson stayed on, Pert is making me incredibly nervous. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What worries me about BM no longer in the 'coach development' role is who is 'mentoring' Goodwin? 

Last year I raised the issue of not having what I call a 'Football Mentor/Overseer' position ie Neil Balme (for Scott/Hardwick), George Stone (Dew), Chris Fagan (Clarkson) to mentor Goodwin and to hold him and Mahoney accountable.  Nor do we have a Football Director (Greg Healy was the last one).  

To me these omissions were and still are weaknesses in our management structure.  We have hit very turbulent waters on and off the field.   Mahoney and Goodwin are still very inexperienced in their roles and have not had to perform when things go backwards.  Roos or PJ were there to take the heat.   

imv, now more than ever that we need a Neil Balme type; someone who knows how to steady, then right the ship and how to avoid rookie errors.  Someone who monitors, challenges, supports and helps find solutions when issues arise before they become problems. 

Without that 'overseeing' role it may be very tempting for Pert to become overly involved in football and coaching matters which by various reports was his downfall at the Pies.  To me the last thing we need is the CEO trying to run the football side of things.  Hope Mahoney and Goodwin get on top of it all very quickly.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Smokey said:

I would support sacking Chaplin and McCartney at season end if we finish bottom 4, because frankly even though a step backward for us right now statistically is pretty normal, that's a too far of a step. But we may as well use the rest of this wasted season to see if they are capable of correcting the ships course.

I am worried about the arrival of Pert and the decline in many elements of culture. Players calling each other out, leaking of information ... its really concerning. I wish Jackson stayed on, Pert is making me incredibly nervous.

11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

imv, now more than ever that we need a Neil Balme type; someone who knows how to steady, then right the ship and how to avoid rookie errors.  Someone who monitors, challenges, supports and helps find solutions when issues arise before they become problems.  

Without that 'overseeing' role it may be very tempting for Pert to become overly involved in football and coaching matters which by various reports was his downfall at the Pies.  To me the last thing we need is the CEO trying to run the football side of things.  Hope Mahoney and Goodwin get on top of it all very quickly.

Snap!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Yeah it was definitely these 3 guys' fault last September when our players went over to Perth and took about 45 minutes to undo 5 weeks of work towards regaining some respect in the football world. I wouldn't be surprised if they disliked a coach who was trying to push them too hard. Digging in and working hard just doesn't seem to be something our playing group sees as the highest priority. There's always an excuse.

It goes deep with this club, all the way to the broader supporter base. Crap efforts have always been brushed over and excused, and have therefore continued.

MFC needs to look at Collingwood for an example of where crap efforts aren't tolerated and being competitive is the number 1 priority (including when their list has been ordinary).

Footy is like any industy. People who excel in their position want another challenge, sometimes rightly sometimes not. Rawlings was a great backline coach but wanted something more, got it, and is excelling. Maybe McCartney also wanted something more, which prompted the change but so far hasn't worked so well. I don't understand this idea clubs need someone on the boundary to convey messages, as was Neeld's role at the Dons and seems to be McCartney's now. That's just crap. But McCartney is an asset in development, as long as he's happy to stay there

10 hours ago, olisik said:

Sacking them now would be considered an investment in the club. To continue with such inadept staff members will drive the club into the ground and incur massive losses in lost revenue from membership.

We need to add Max Rooke to the list, our talls are failing to lead properly and mark and our Smalls never win the ground ball gets. Beggars belief why Garlett has been stuck in the 2s behind Spargo.

With Rooke why is he forward coach? He was never a forward he should be defensive coach he was a great defender.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:
11 hours ago, DV8 said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/club/people/staff-members

Coaching

Simon Goodwin Senior Coach
Brendan McCartney Player/Coach Performance Manager
Matthew Egan Head of Player Development
Ben Mathews Stoppage and Contest Coach
Troy Chaplin Backline Coach
Max Rooke Forward Line Coach
Craig Jennings Game Analyst and Education Coordinator
Justin Plapp Midfield Coach
Greg Stafford Ruck Coach

If you look at post #125 by AtboG Macca is listed as Defensive. ??‍♂️

I don't know about the other posts. 'DZ'.

I took this current information direct from  the Melbournefc website.