Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tanking scandal documents

Wow the Herald Sun continues to sink to new lows.  the most biased, idiotic, rubbish mazagine of all time.

Why the [censored] are we talking about tanking that happened 10 years ago!

Hope we stuff those cheating [censored] tonight!

43 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And I assume you know the HUN is owned by someone who has a pathological dislike of Bill Shorten and is known for instructing his editors to use the paper for political purposes. I think the owner's political interests trump the editor's football interest!

Their bias just has no bounds does it.

10 minutes ago, dieter said:

Just give em footy, Davie Warner and the races, and the odd titillating cleavage revealing photo. Simple.

Not to mention the odd upshorts pic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

I just wish we had've drafted better in those days and pinched a flag.  Our club is quite hated by people, and realistically, we have nothing to use in our defence.  A couple of tainted flags would've been bloody lovely to use as a comeback.

You reckon Hawthorn and Collingwood think their flags are tainted?

Who cares? Teams tank for draft picks in any sport in the world. I supported it then and I would again if the situation arose.

Difference between us and Carlton? The Blues have no issue with doing what needs to be done and have for decades.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who cares? Teams tank for draft picks in any sport in the world. I supported it then and I would again if the situation arose.

Difference between us and Carlton? The Blues have no issue with doing what needs to be done and have for decades.

They had coverage from Mike....

Take solace from the fact that the Media of Today in OZ will have a new Boss by the end of the year according to the whispers in the States....

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sadly, when doing it, we did it all wrong.   Just amateurs at that time...  when other clubs did it with aplomb,  including the Blues, Hawks and Saints during the 2000's... not many clubs did not do it - (list manage),  and some clubs did it last season,  as well as past recent seasons.  see blues, suns.

we butchered it.

And I remember only a couple years ago Slobbo suggesting himself that it would be unwise for the Lions to win another game.
The hypocrisy is astounding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Make no mistake ... tanking & PED use still goes on to this day

Individuals & clubs are just a lot smarter in how they go about transgressing

Big picture - Warts and all - Look in the mirror first. 

Sport has become like politics & religion ... mostly bs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SPC said:

Cannot wait to hear Caro's beautiful take on this... I am tipping the word 'Disgrace' will be overused!!

Her own mob tanked against St Kilda in round 22 2007, pure and simple. Their coach (Wallace) basically admitted it.

A caller needs to call her out on this if she hops on her moral high horse.

8 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Her own mob tanked against St Kilda in round 22 2007, pure and simple. Their coach (Wallace) basically admitted it.

A caller needs to call her out on this if she hops on her moral high horse.

Won't matter BBP ... none in our media know how to broaden arguments

I find nearly all of our footy media to be like the people they are feeding - make if that what you will.

The big picture of tanking will never be addressed because it doesn't sell.

So we will remain the sole focus

• Like 2

I've just seen the Herald Sun. I think it's worth mentioning that contrary to some comments earlier today, none of the story was written by Mark Robinson (unless he's contributed to something online). It's all the work of Mick Warner, a Richmond supporter. So all that conspiracy stuff about Robbo, his being an Essendon supporter and that's why it was published today is way off the mark. In fact, it's so far off I'd suggest the mods should delete all those comments. 

• Like 1

What we did back then was wrong.......... simply wrong.  It set the club back years.  I think it is clear though, that Dean Bailey always conducted himself with dignity and should not wear any of the blame.  I have my thoughts as to who perpetrated this scandalous episode in our history, but certain defamation laws preventing me saying so here.  However, those concerned are no longer at the club and I suspect will never get another job at the elite level again.

But to dredge all this up again, when we have well an truly moved on is a travesty.  My only real regret is that none of us will ever know, just what DB might have achieved, if he wasn't so blatantly white anted.  RIP Dean.

• Like 3

Highlight is fans treating Connolly like Pol Pot now, when at the time he was doing exactly what the majority of Melbourne supporters wanted.

Though you did think it was going to be a controlled conspiracy, not an edge of the seat thrill ride thrown into life by the unexpected win over Port.

• Like 3

The behaviour by Michael Warner and Robbo is unacceptable, irresponsible and would be in any other industry characterised as bullying and intent to intimidate.

There is no purpose to this story no connection nor relevance of today.

The purpose of this story and subsequently the decision by the herald sun to published a full front page story is designed to harm, injure and shame people, living and those who have passed away. It is time for the AFL industry as a whole to collectively make a stand and say enough is enough.

The impact on mental health and damage to the emotional state of people, players and volunteers who make up a club is enormous.

On the day that the Melbourne Football Club launched its stamp out bullying campaign these people chose that day, on an evening when our tv screens and digital platforms have been broadcasting our anti bullying campaign these 2 men, the editor and the decision makers of the organisations that approved these stories and tactics chose to publish and run with this story.

To choose to list names of people who participated willing or unwilling in a confidential process that would have been stressful, and to publish a confidential AFL document that was part of a process over 10 years ago would be unacceptable in any other industry.

There are standards of behaviour that we all have to abide by, if we don't as employees or representative of organisations we are held accountable.

In an era where the AFL,  the wider community is trying to stamp out bullying, harassment and unacceptable behaviour, how come there is no accountability levelled at these two people.

What makes their behaviour even more damaging and calculating is that they on their own video segment are laughing about "dredging this up after so many years". This is a  point that can't be ignored. They know that running this story will affect the people who were involved, affect the players who are playing this evening, and will affect the families of the Stynes and Bailey families but both Michael Warner and Robbo chose to laugh and make light of their intent of running with this story.

My responding to this article and their behaviour is not advocating suppression of freedom of speech or opinion, and I know that a lot of people and these two journos would argue that footy is a tough sport, you have got to take the bad with the good. There is no good from this. It is designed to harm, and hurt. On the eve of a very big game for both Essendon and Melbourne they choose to do this. Robbo is the first to hold people accountable. The AFL community need to collectively say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH before its own people, from players, staff, volunteers and board members pay a massive human price.  We can not take fox footy or the herald sun seriously let alone the industry of AFL when they talk about mental health, workplace safety for its people working within the industry, if journalists are not held accountable. 

May I say, I do not know much about tanking , I didn't even live in this country at the time, and I don't know any of the people involved but that's besides the point. 

As football fans and as people in general we should say ENOUGH is ENOUGH before people and their families suffer further mental anguish and hurt!!!!! There is nothing good going to come from this - shame on Robbo and shame on Michael Warner.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I've just seen the Herald Sun. I think it's worth mentioning that contrary to some comments earlier today, none of the story was written by Mark Robinson (unless he's contributed to something online). It's all the work of Mick Warner, a Richmond supporter. So all that conspiracy stuff about Robbo, his being an Essendon supporter and that's why it was published today is way off the mark. In fact, it's so far off I'd suggest the mods should delete all those comments. 

Yes it's Mick Warner's article but Robbo is the chief of the footy dept so you would think he had some say in when it went to print. In fact it would be his decision (maybe in consultation with other senior staff) not Warners...

I'm not sure about the conspiracy stuff, people can make of that what they will...

• Like 1

Good food for thought in Jack Russell's post above. There is a broad question here about the media's role and the public's right to know. Is it any more or less newsworthy because it's sport? Is it newsworthy ten years after the events it refers to? With respect to the first question, I think being sports-related, rather than politics, business or crime, still means it's newsworthy. As to the ten year issue, I don't see how that reduces its news value, as long as there is something new, which in this case, there is.

The bullying and harassment question is also worth considering, but I wouldn't like to see the media prevented from publishing for that reason. That would lead to the media being prevented from publishing many things that hurt other people's feelings. It would be used as a blunt censorship tool. (The better answer is to stop buying rubbish newspapers!) 

In short, I think it's newsworthy and while I don't work in the media, if I were editing the Herald Sun, I'd publish it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yes it's Mick Warner's article but Robbo is the chief of the footy dept so you would think he had some say in when it went to print. In fact it would be his decision (maybe in consultation with other senior staff) not Warners...

I'm not sure about the conspiracy stuff, people can make of that what they will...

Robbo is the chief football writer. I don't believe he has a management role. It would be the Sports Editor in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief (or whatever title the day-to-day editor has) who would make this decision. I would expect Robbo and Warner had no say in it at all.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Supermercado said:

Highlight is fans treating Connolly like Pol Pot now, when at the time he was doing exactly what the majority of Melbourne supporters wanted.

Considering both Schwab and Connolly (not to mention Jimmy Stynes) are great mates of Lyons from the MFC boys club I find his reaction annoying.
As if he didn't know what they were up to.
1st hand no less.
But we all know about Garrys character.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/horrible-demons-greats-react-to-fresh-report-on-melbourne-tanking-saga/news-story/93a084ab43922919802e4dc9f60de6e3

Edited by Fork 'em