Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Box Hill Hawks v Casey Demons - VFL Round 1

KC from Casey

Agree that some certain poster have just carried on their usual dribble. For those that didnt watch I'll do a player by player assessment. 

Baker: Played like a bloke thats missed a fair chunk of the pre season. Rusty and was quite throughout the game. Did a really good chase and tackle right in front of Casey's bench and got good applause. Other then that he didn't do much. Needed the run.

Bedford: Looked lively at times and certainly shows zip in and around the contests. He's next stage of development is hitting the score board. Felt like he got himself into good position at times but was ignored. Work rate was impressive. Something to work with.

Chandler: The highlight for me. Chased,  harrassed and hit the scoreboard. Has a very impressive left foot that didn't miss a target. Keeps this form up and he'll be playing in the seniors sooner then you think.

Smith: Playing just his 2nd game since his injury, and looked good at times. Lead hard and tried to create a target but was double teamed at times. His work rate is exceptional. Another who needed the run.

Jordan: Played half back and was fairly quite.

Sparrow: Like Jordan he was another who was quite. Had 11 disposals for the game and just flashed in and out. His contested marking is very impressive for someone of his size.

Keilty: A poor game. Played forward and ruck and had little to no influence. His best position is down back not forward.

Stretch: BOG for me! Came onto the game in the 2nd qtr and immediately had a big impact. First time i have seen him use some genuine speed to break away from the stoppages. Was clean and really ran hard. I would bring him in for ANB and leave him in the 1s for a good block of 6 weeks and see what he has to offer. Has to be picked against Sydney.

Maynard: Look, it was your typical inside midfielders game. He is someone who will get you your 20 plus disposal but has no hurt factor and will get exposed for lack of leg speed. Strong around the contests and played well.

Petty: Played the first two qtrs then didn't see him after half time.. anyone know what happened??

Garlett: His stats say that he had a quite game, but it was his first game back since JLT Richmond. In saying that i must admit Garlett was one i thought who tried hard. Was harrassing and pressuring right until the final siren. It was not a good day for forwards but unfortunately there were a couple of times the footy just didn't bounce the right way to suit him where he would have gotten a goal from if the footy just bounced kindly to him. I honestly thought his work rate was right up there, but needed that run and i am backing him to play well next week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, rjay said:

I only watched the first Q and most of the 2nd...

His ball touch was a bit off as to be expected but he got involved and his pace is a problem for the oppo...

I think as soon as he hits some match fitness we need to bring him in, at least he has some leg speed, a bit of X factor and is a goal kicker. All things we lack.

Cheers 

12 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

How can you say that when you haven't seen the 2019 model Lewis?

We had about 3 good players during the prelim, not sure why Lewis has to become "a main offender" when pretty much everyone offended that day.

He can't do too much worse than some of the current 22 and his on-field leadership is sorely lacking.

Just a thought, if we had so many players at the end of last season having early/preseason  2019  operations, just how many of these were reaching peak fitness three weeks ago? i would think quite a few, and you can add to that our recent injuries.

It's sort of debacle like at the moment....

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Agree that some certain poster have just carried on their usual dribble. For those that didnt watch I'll do a player by player assessment. 

Baker: Played like a bloke thats missed a fair chunk of the pre season. Rusty and was quite throughout the game. Did a really good chase and tackle right in front of Casey's bench and got good applause. Other then that he didn't do much. Needed the run.

Bedford: Looked lively at times and certainly shows zip in and around the contests. He's next stage of development is hitting the score board. Felt like he got himself into good position at times but was ignored. Work rate was impressive. Something to work with.

Chandler: The highlight for me. Chased,  harrassed and hit the scoreboard. Has a very impressive left foot that didn't miss a target. Keeps this form up and he'll be playing in the seniors sooner then you think.

Smith: Playing just his 2nd game since his injury, and looked good at times. Lead hard and tried to create a target but was double teamed at times. His work rate is exceptional. Another who needed the run.

Jordan: Played half back and was fairly quite.

Sparrow: Like Jordan he was another who was quite. Had 11 disposals for the game and just flashed in and out. His contested marking is very impressive for someone of his size.

Keilty: A poor game. Played forward and ruck and had little to no influence. His best position is down back not forward.

Stretch: BOG for me! Came onto the game in the 2nd qtr and immediately had a big impact. First time i have seen him use some genuine speed to break away from the stoppages. Was clean and really ran hard. I would bring him in for ANB and leave him in the 1s for a good block of 6 weeks and see what he has to offer. Has to be picked against Sydney.

Maynard: Look, it was your typical inside midfielders game. He is someone who will get you your 20 plus disposal but has no hurt factor and will get exposed for lack of leg speed. Strong around the contests and played well.

Petty: Played the first two qtrs then didn't see him after half time.. anyone know what happened??

Garlett: His stats say that he had a quite game, but it was his first game back since JLT Richmond. In saying that i must admit Garlett was one i thought who tried hard. Was harrassing and pressuring right until the final siren. It was not a good day for forwards but unfortunately there were a couple of times the footy just didn't bounce the right way to suit him where he would have gotten a goal from if the footy just bounced kindly to him. I honestly thought his work rate was right up there, but needed that run and i am backing him to play well next week.

Good summary, could Petty have been pulled out to play Thursday? 

So Petty missed the second half whilst Preuss didn't play and Stretch only played three quarters.

I suppose that puts those three in contention for Thursday?

If Stretch pulls up from his game I'd like to see him come in for ANB. Will give us similar output in terms of gut-running, so the onus will be on him to give us more than ANB with the ball.

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

So Petty missed the second half whilst Preuss didn't play and Stretch only played three quarters.

I suppose that puts those three in contention for Thursday?

If Stretch pulls up from his game I'd like to see him come in for ANB. Will give us similar output in terms of gut-running, so the onus will be on him to give us more than ANB with the ball.

Petty missed the whole second half, that's right but the whisper is he's injured......Don't imagine he will come in.

Preuss is obviously a certainty for reasons already discussed.

Maynard was solid & played well especially inside but wasn't rested much, although rotated throughout the game....consideration!

Stretch came on start of 2nd Q & off at 10 min mark of last quarter & played only 55 minutes on the ground (still rotated in quarters 2 & 3)......dominant game & should come in v Syd.

Keilty, in my opinion, needed a good game today to warrant consideration & was quiet.

7 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Petty missed the whole second half, that's right but the whisper is he's injured......Don't imagine he will come in.

Maynard was solid & played well especially inside but wasn't rested much, although rotated throughout the game....consideration!

Stretch came on start of 2nd Q & off at 10 min mark of last quarter & played only 55 minutes on the ground (still rotated in quarters 2 & 3)......dominant game & should come in v Syd.

Keilty, in my opinion, needed a good game today to warrant consideration & was quiet.

That's the problem in a nutshell 2 many had quiet games.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

How can you say that when you haven't seen the 2019 model Lewis?

We had about 3 good players during the prelim, not sure why Lewis has to become "a main offender" when pretty much everyone offended that day.

He can't do too much worse than some of the current 22 and his on-field leadership is sorely lacking.

Well 'titan', I would think it's pretty easy to project that one forward.

He's not going to get any faster, the game has gotten faster, it's harder to just zone off and he was caught out time and again last year. The opposition exposed him by playing through his direct opponent.

Do the sums, apply a bit of footy logic and that's how I can say that...

You're clutching at straws with Lewis...

...but having said that, you're right he can't do much worse than the current 22 and that's an indictment on them and the FD.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

In regards to Petty being injured, this was written in the VFL article. 

A positive was the team came away unscathed from the match with no injuries.

https://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2019-04-07/vfl-tough-start-to-2019-for-casey

• Like 1

Many complain about Lewis in his twilight but same posters mostly silent on Jones. Lewis is a far better leader and is still a better player. Ignoring the elephant in the room big time.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 6

Just a thought:  what if the guys with potential for call up knew they limited game time.  Others who thought they were close but in for the full game dropped their heads a bit?  Potentially an us and them scenario.

i would hope not, but could quite explain why so many were quiet, and others who had limited game time really stepped up.

preuss obviously had a blinder in the showers!

9 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Since I can’t get much sense out of anyone else, how’d Garlett go? Did he do enough to come in. 

Like you I didn't watch the game, so came onto the thread for information.

It was the biggest mistake I made on the weekend.

A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval.

It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced. 

They were also hampered by the AFL schedule which sees the Demons facing the Swans up in Sydney on Thursday night, a factor which most surely saw the withdrawal of ruckman Braydon Preuss from the Box Hill game and others being lightly used throughout the afternoon. Whilst its no excuse for the poor performances of some of the others, to this observer, it took away from the team’s competitive ability against a side they beat by 10 points in a practice game as recently as 24 March.

Box Hill was out of the blocks quickly and dominated the opening quarter. Tim Smith has the kicking yips early and impressive small man Kade Chandler kicked the only goal as the home side took a 23 point lead into quarter time. 

After the break and reinforced by the introduction of Billy Stretch and Marty Hore, Casey fared a lot better. Smith finally hit the target and the busy Chandler scored his second at the 17 minute mark to provide a ray of light with the deficit under two goals but, after that, the afternoon turned into a nightmare.

Box Hill dominated the error riddled visitors for the next quarter and a half, going into the main break with a five goal lead and stretching that past nine goals at the final break. Casey rallied a little in the final term but their inaccuracy in front of goal ensured that they would make little impact on the final margin.

Best players for the Demons was Corey Maynard who put his hand up for senior selection with 27 disposals, likewise Billy Stretch with 20 touches in his three quarters. New skipper Mitch White tried hard against the odds on a difficult day for his team.

For the Casey Demons, it was a game best forgotten as they head back home for an encounter against North Melbourne next Saturday. 

2019 Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear VFL  

Casey Demons  1.4.10  3.6.24  3.10.28 4.18.42  

Box Hill Hawks  5.3.33 8.6.54 14.11.95 15.14.104  

Goals  

Casey Demons Chandler 2 Gent  T Smith  

Box Hill Hawks Ross 5 Lewis 4 Kilpatrick Schoenmakers 2 Hanrahan  Moore  

Best  

Casey Demons Maynard Stretch Chandler White Munro Bedford  

Box Hill Hawks Kilpatrick Lewis Ross O'Brien Jiath Miles

Statistics 

Oskar Baker 1 behind 5 kicks 4 handballs 9 disposals 2 marks 30 dream team points  
Toby Bedford 1 behind 5 kicks 9 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 50 dream team points  
Kade Chandler 2 goals 1 behinds 10 kicks 7 handballs 17 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 77 dream team points  
Dylan Collis 1 behinds 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 30 dream team points  
Will Collis 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 56 dream team points  
Jeffrey Garlett 1 behind 4 kicks 3 handballs 7 disposals 2 mark 3 tackles 28 dream team points  
Mitch Gent 1 goal 2 behinds 10 kicks 4 handballs 14 disposals 4. marks 1 tackle 63 dream team points  
Marty Hore 13 kicks 1 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 53 dream team points  
Jack Hutchins 1 kicks 2 handballs 3 disposals 1 tackles 8 dream team points  
James Jordon 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 39 dream team points  
Declan Keilty 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 9 hit outs 48 dream team points  
Mitchell Lewis 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 36 dream team points  
Corey Maynard 10 kicks 17 handballs 27 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 82 dream team points  
James Munro 2 behinds 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 1 marks 3 tackles 48 dream team points  
Harrison Petty 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 33 dream team points  
Aidan Quigley 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals 5 marks 43 dream team points  
Tim Smith 1 goal 3 behinds 11 kick s 1 handball 12 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 53 dream team points  
Tom Sparrow 5 kicks 6 handballs 11 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 49dream team points  
Billy Stretch 13 kicks 7 handballs 20 disposals 2 marks 5 tackles 77 dream team points  
Cory Stockdale 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 40 dream team points  
Luke Tynan 1 behind 7 kicks 9 handballs 16 disposals 4 marks 49 dream team points  
Liam Wale-Buxton 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 17 hit outs 40 dream team points  
Mitchell White 1 behind 12 kicks 12 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 60 dream team points    

I get quite annoyed and cannot stay quiet any more.

Quiet means little or no noise.

• When Brian Taylor is commentating I turn the TV way down so that it is so quiet that I can't hear him.

Quite means to an utmost extent or fairly.

• When we lose I get quite annoyed and shout at the TV, that causes the dog to hide.
  • Haha 1

Agree with most of dazzledavey36 player summary.

I think Jordon showed a bit. Didn’t do a lot but what he did was good, good kick, some important touches and a really gutsy going back with the flight into oncoming traffic.

Petty had a horror second quarter. Started when his team mate tried to kick it clear and the ball slammed into his face for that clanger-falcon turnover goal. I know he had very little time to react but there didn’t seem to be any reflex reaction or awareness of the situation. Then I suspect the impact might have concussed or disoriented him to some degree, because it went rapidly downhill from there. A smothered kick in the goal square which almost led to another goal. Then badly misjudged flight of the ball in the air to give opponent an easy mark. A couple of mis-kicks. And he looked slow. If not a mild concussion, I just hope it was ‘one of those days’, given the positive reports on his previous performances.

Hore only brought on in second quarter so maybe could be playing Thursday but I hope not, loose too many times, fumbles, too many long bombs to no one.

As an indication of how much we have deteriorated, Mitch White looked like he should be comfortably back on our list.

Whilst watching it occurred that the Box Hill coach would be a good addition to the MFC coaching staff, because he obviously knows and implements Clarko’s style. Looked it up - Chris Newman - VFL premiership in 2018 and formerly served as an assistant coach at Hawthorn. He has a classic pedigree for a successful coach - the medium sized defender who made the most of his talents.

14 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Hopefully that's a sign that he's under consideration for this week.

6 hours ago, rjay said:

Well 'titan', I would think it's pretty easy to project that one forward.

He's not going to get any faster, the game has gotten faster, it's harder to just zone off and he was caught out time and again last year. The opposition exposed him by playing through his direct opponent.

Do the sums, apply a bit of footy logic and that's how I can say that...

You're clutching at straws with Lewis...

...but having said that, you're right he can't do much worse than the current 22 and that's an indictment on them and the FD.

I reckon this is, to borrow a term I can't stand but will use anyway, "fake news".

Other than at the initial centre bounce, why is it now harder to zone off? Or do you just mean because of the initial centre bounce leaving us at 6-6-6?

There were plenty of games last year where we ran a forward off the back of the square but otherwise had 6 vs 6 in our defensive 50. 

14 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

I would bring in Petty to play on Bud. I would play frost from a wing to play out  in-front of Bud when Bud comes up-field,  then Petty can drop off Bud,  and zone.

I would play our nippy smalls on our wings. They have to work hard both ways.

I would play Preuss and Gawn rortating f5rom the forward pocket,  taking the heat off the Weide.

Ffs, put Tracca in the middle.

• Like 1