Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demonland Fact-Check

Skuit

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

From the HUN artcile ...

? | https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/simon-goodwin-opens-up-on-melbournes-shocking-2018-preliminary-final-and-his-eye-on-the-future/news-story/a747f87037c2f001c67464d513756f06

Goodwin has not watched the game. and he did not read any critique of it.

“The game was pretty clear in my head,’’ he said.

“I’ve thought about it. Like anyone, to grow and learn you have to reflect so I’ve certainly reflected on everything around our program, the lead-in to the finals, the first final, the second final, what we taught, how we educated our program, our training, how we travelled, all those things you reflect on.

“But it’s too hard an industry to keep looking back and being miserable about what’s behind you so you have to keep going forward.’’

Is the game far removed from your thinking in the middle of February.

“Yeah, a long way.”

Are you annoyed we’re going back there?

“No, it’s your job and it still sits in a lot of people’s minds. It’s there, it’s great exposure, but we need to look forward.’’

So, onwards and upwards.

Unequivocal

That's one down

13 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I can't agree. If it was a pre-ordained outcome that he'd get off, why was he found guilty in the first place? 

Partiality and tokenism - of course, in hindsight, the umpire was wrong for this scenario. 

5 hours ago, beelzebub said:

It's very likely we're just that very convenient awkward dork that EVERYONE can pick on...even the lesser clubs as they're STILL more successful in the last 50 years. Only the Aints are as pitiful as us but they have this supposed blue collar image. We are those smug top of the towners with all that silverware just tarnishing away.

They were great once...but look at them now KICK...not so clever now are we KICK KICK smirk giggle KICK.

Oh they're just Melbourne dahlings...they stir occasionally then get drunk on the bathwater... pathetic creatures ( stepping over or on )

To be honest not one of my friends harbours ANY jealousy for us. 

Sadly we (Mfc) are bearing the Image of the Mcc,  in the footy world... but our people, Players,  Staff, Off field,  are nothing like Toffs... but still the club suffers from the Mcc 'Toff' image.

Interestingly,  the Mcc does not suffer from any awkward 'imagery',  in it's Summertime sports.    Cricket is seen as British.

It's a footy thing... because  'footy'  is the great leveler, within our community.  And rightly so.     'footy'  is seen as Aussie.

So we are seen as almost Un-Aussie in a sense.   We need to breakaway from this nexus, that is perceived as  looking-down-on  things  'Aussie'.

This on its own is a major stumbling block,  to us growing our base.

8 hours ago, dworship said:

Unequivocal

That's one down

The smoking gun? It's the Hun, so I'm not so sure. It doesn't feature a direct quote, and as a journalist myself I'd want that revelation coming directly out of the mouth of the subject themselves.

Reporter: did you dwell on the preliminary loss? 

Goodwin: the game was pretty clear in my head . . .

Copy: Goodwin did not watch the game.  

But, if we're to move on - it leads directly to the next one:

Contention: Goodwin's game-plan was found out by the Eagles in the prelim.

I live away from Oz. Was this ever discussed with footage on any of footy shows or in print? What was it that the Eagles supposedly did to undermine our game-plan that hadn't been done before and can it be clearly evidenced on the replay?

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skuit said:

The smoking gun? It's the Hun, so I'm not so sure. It doesn't feature a direct quote, and as a journalist myself I'd want that revelation coming directly out of the mouth of the subject themselves.

I live away from Oz. Was this ever discussed with footage on any of footy shows or in print? What was it that the Eagles supposedly did to undermine our game-plan that hadn't been done before and can it be clearly evidenced on the replay?

There's nothing in the HUN article which says Goodwin didn't watch it or review it. It's a conclusion drawn or a statement made by the author based on the actual quotes Goodwin gave.

Also agree re: this contention. Our game plan was "exposed" by St Kilda mid-year. We were "found out" all 9 times we lost last year.

We're being beaten the same way this year, and that's a concern to me, but it doesn't mean something drastic occurred in the prelim which needed to be specifically addressed more than any other of our losses last year.

• Like 4

On 4/3/2019 at 4:58 AM, Skuit said:

Contention: Our mismanagement of Joel Smith has blown a minor injury into a major one.

Sure, it doesn't look good - but is there any evidence this is genuinely the case? Or can someone provide expert opinion that it's likely to be so?

1.38 in this video:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019-03-12/injury-update-march-12

On 4/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, Skuit said:

Contention: Steven May arrived at pre-season training unfit and out of shape.

He seemed to lag the pack according to reports, but was this due an attitudinal problem? Is GFC's fitness regime below standard? Was there enough time to bridge the gap?

'Goodwin said on Saturday May would not want to make the same mistake next pre-season.' - from the Hun. 

It's second-hand and I haven't checked for the source, but yes, this would seem to indicate that the club wasn't pleased with May. Anyone know of the direct quote and context?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skuit said:

'Goodwin said on Saturday May would not want to make the same mistake next pre-season.' - from the Hun. 

It's second-hand and I haven't checked for the source, but yes, this would seem to indicate that the club wasn't pleased with May. Anyone know of the direct quote and context?

Yea, and then watch Robbo on Tuesday drunkenly slur (after having Stewie Dew on the show) 

'Don't blame the Suns'.

Nobody has, [censored] head.

10 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

Yea, and then watch Robbo on Tuesday drunkenly slur (after having Stewie Dew on the show) 

'Don't blame the Suns'.

Nobody has, [censored] head.

You sound unusually grumpy AmDam - like me on here last week. This place will do that to the optimists among us.

16 hours ago, Skuit said:

Goodwin was interviewed on radio last weekend (SEN, I think) and was asked the question about Stephen May's fitness when he arrived at the club. Goodwin answered everything with a straight bat and did not give any indication that he was of the view that May arrived at the club in poor condition...until the very end of the interview when he said (paraphrasing) that "May wouldn't want to turn up in the same condition next pre-season". At the time I wondered whether Goodwin had slipped up, having been so careful for the rest of the interview, or whether he always intended to include the comment.

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Goodwin was interviewed on radio last weekend (SEN, I think) and was asked the question about Stephen May's fitness when he arrived at the club. Goodwin answered everything with a straight bat and did not give any indication that he was of the view that May arrived at the club in poor condition...until the very end of the interview when he said (paraphrasing) that "May wouldn't want to turn up in the same condition next pre-season". At the time I wondered whether Goodwin had slipped up, having been so careful for the rest of the interview, or whether he always intended to include the comment.

Thanks La Dee-vina.

So I think it is fair to conclude that May wasn't in top shape. This however says nothing around the inference that attitude played a part. It could well have been a failure on the club's behalf to convey what was expected - or an inability to reach the required standard in the time from his trade.

57 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Thanks La Dee-vina.

So I think it is fair to conclude that May wasn't in top shape. This however says nothing around the inference that attitude played a part. It could well have been a failure on the club's behalf to convey what was expected - or an inability to reach the required standard in the time from his trade.

Wasn't there info flying around pre draft that because of bloody Hogan's connections pee'in around it was thought and happened that May could be and did wait a while before he  knew what was going on. Not a justification, i know.

I have no doubt that May was not up to scratch for our pre-season and finished a very out of breath last in the first 2  runs.

But I believe ha has got pretty fit in the period but again injuries have limited his prep time. Here is also a thought that he suffered too many tissue injuries st the Suns.

If sny one used the GC Suns as an excuse it was May when he first said the standards at MFC were greater.

I think it is blame on both sides ie lack of communication from us and he not keeping in trim on his holiday time off.

Agsin nothing going our way in 2019 injury and health wise!!

Please don't get me started on Joel Smith that's almost criminal now 10-12 weeks and as thought Vanders time is strung out again looking like the bye if at  all.

Whats  the saying The more  things change the more they stay the same !! 2017 again fir both!

2 hours ago, AmDamDemon said:

Haha, nah it was more a drunk on a beach in Goa vibe. Just landed at Schiphol though, should be home for opening bounce. Go Dees!

Welcome back mate. Post-match celebration bevvy on the barge if you're not too jet-lagged. :)

On 4/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, Skuit said:

Goodwins  game plane was horrible at the start of last year but we adapted.

We will adapt again and be the them team every one ealch watches.

Hunt is a forward.

• 1 year later...

@titan_uranusworking overtime and binman putting in some work. 

Contention: TMac was told to put on some weight by the MFC. 

Seems sketchy so far. @binmanappears to have got to the bottom of the origin (a certain Coq on this site). He does however look bigger. Confusing if he took that decision upon his own, as has been vaguely suggested in the media. 

Contention: TMac will only play if his brother is selected. 

Sounds like complete bs on the surface. I did however once suggest that OMac's contractual status might come into play when signing Tomald. I hope I'm not the origin of these rumours because my post was complete speculative nonsense. 

Contention: Simon Goodwin is obstinate and doesn't listen to his assistants. 

Spend a week off this site and on return this is given as fact. I don't think we can get to the bottom of this one. Inside info on contractual details e.g. is one thing, but workplace rumour is another. Jennings would probably tell anyone he comes into contact with that Simon doesn't listen. One is factual, the other is opinion. But where did this idea come from? 

Contention: Both Trac and Clarry are disgruntled. I know the first was via @goodwindees, but the second? How much validation do either of these contentions have? Let's round-up the original sources and backing. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Skuit said:

Contention: TMac was told to put on some weight by the MFC. 

Seems sketchy so far. @binmanappears to have got to the bottom of the origin (a certain Coq on this site). He does however look bigger. Confusing if he took that decision upon his own, as has been vaguely suggested in the media. 

For the record - this is the @titan_uranusand @binman exchange from another thread.

Titan: I've seen this 10kg thing a lot. Is there any evidence at all to support it? Is there anyone on Demonland who claims to have a source who has said this? Or is it just a rumour with no real base to it?

Binman: It was stated as fact by a poster around the time of the blues game. The poster's name escapes me and I don't recall them posting for some time, though was prolific poster at that point. (Note: Coq au vin appears to be the sauce. Not sure if he or she was posting under a different name at the time). 

We had a number of back and forth posts about it as in the immortal of Sy Richardson's character, Lite, from Repo Man 'I called [censored] on that'. As if the club in this day and age would ask an already big, 27 year old power forward to put on 10kgs to play deep full forward (which as i pointed out to said poster they didn't even play him in that position against the blues, or subsequently as it has turned out). 

Anyone else got any links to the source of this contention? TMac apparently saying he wants to drop some kgs (I don't know that source either - Foxfooty?) adds some weight - forgive the pun - to him being heavier than normal, as do the eyeballs. 

Any confirmation though that the club wanted him to get heavier? It seems counter to all of our mobile talls having been asked to slim down in recent seasons: Gawn, Hogan, and Pedo off the very top of my head, with obvious results.  

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

For the record - this is the @titan_uranusand @binman exchange from another thread.

Titan: I've seen this 10kg thing a lot. Is there any evidence at all to support it? Is there anyone on Demonland who claims to have a source who has said this? Or is it just a rumour with no real base to it?

Binman: It was stated as fact by a poster around the time of the blues game. The poster's name escapes me and I don't recall them posting for some time, though was prolific poster at that point. (Note: Coq au vin appears to be the sauce. Not sure if he or she was posting under a different name at the time). 

We had a number of back and forth posts about it as in the immortal of Sy Richardson's character, Lite, from Repo Man 'I called [censored] on that'. As if the club in this day and age would ask an already big, 27 year old power forward to put on 10kgs to play deep full forward (which as i pointed out to said poster they didn't even play him in that position against the blues, or subsequently as it has turned out). 

Anyone else got any links to the source of this contention? TMac apparently saying he wants to drop some kgs (I don't know that source either - Foxfooty?) adds some weight - forgive the pun - to him being heavier than normal, as do the eyeballs. 

Any confirmation though that the club wanted him to get heavier? It seems counter to all of our mobile talls having been asked to slim down in recent seasons: Gawn, Hogan, and Pedo off the very top of my head, with obvious results.  

Add Preuss to the list. (Not sure if he was 'asked to slim down'; but he obviously has done so.) 

• Like 2

Working overtime in the silly season . . .

Fact-check: the Demons are facing a salary-cap squeeze. 

We all seem to be working under the assumption that our cap is tight, but where did this notion come from? I recall maybe something mentioned in a recent tweet? 

Also, are we tight now, or are we banking cash for expected big future in-house re-signings e.g. Oliver and Jackson - and to lock Petracca in on a longer-term deal? 

Or are we just being conservative in our cap management, looking toward longer-term success, or perhaps waiting for a raid when we feel we're close to the peak of our window?

So many things we don't know about our cap management approach. Have we been paying 100% of our cap - is this factually verifiable by delving into our annual reports? 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Top thread @Skuit
Not sure if this counts as I’m repeating what I heard.

Contention. Goodwin doesn’t have a plan B

Round 20 2021 vs GC. I was listening on the radio and Craig Jennings was doing special comments. Pre game, he went into great detail about how Melbourne will attack the game. What Gold coast will have to do to stay in it and how they could counter when Melbourne got on top. He was asked what Melbourne would do if GC came out like they did against Richmond and GWS. 
He said, tighten up in certain areas and maybe some positional changes, but Goodwin will back his system to beat GC. (Like he had been reading DL) he then said, has Goodwin got a plan B, of course he has. Will you see it today, no. You probably won’t see it till the finals.

He was loving our year and spoke very highly of particular players and Goodwin. So the “Goodwin doesn’t listen” Would (in my opinion) be overstated and or out of context.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Contention: Burgess doesn't believe in resting players. 

There's a pretty solid belief on here that Burgess doesn't believe in resting players, and that we continue to take that as a mantra. I recall something about building resilience by fighting through niggles, but is that in-season or post-season? I think it came from that chat with Bruckner. Can anyone clarify what Burg's genuine stance is?