One player that i have completely forgotten about. We talk about speed and dash along the outside and Oskar is exactly that type of player we desperately need.

Anyone know how he has been performing down at Casey during the practice games??

I also really believe he is the type of player that would thrive more at AFL level then VFL due to open space rather the congestion of VFL level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

One player that i have completely forgotten about. We talk about speed and dash along the outside and Oskar is exactly that type of player we desperately need.

Anyone know how he has been performing down at Casey during the practice games??

I also really believe he is the type of player that would thrive more at AFL level then VFL due to open space rather the congestion of VFL level.

From @WERRIDEE re: Casey's most recent practice match in 2019.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, WERRIDEE said:

Casey defeated Geelong 12-7-79 to 7-9-51

Baker: Just a game done a few good runs but that was about it.

From @Drunkn167 re: Casey's first practice match in 2019

On 3/24/2019 at 6:36 PM, Drunkn167 said:

Final Score Casey 10 - 17 - 77 to Box Hill 10 - 6 - 66

Baker: I think he is going to be a good winger, runs hard and fast and hits the ball well. Some sloppy disposals though.

• Like 1

If he can't get a game this year, I'd say he'll be delisted. We desperately need outside run, so it'll say everything if he can't get into the team.

• Like 1

Baker coming off a bad hammy injury pre-season so I would think probably a few weeks away from being fully fit......he will get his chance & has a lot to offer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have I been transported back to 2012-13 where we would look for anyone on the list to give us a spark or some glimmer of hope 😭 3 debutants already... Not ideal

**Wagner not debutant but close enough

Edited by JV7
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Have I been transported back to 2012-13 where we would look for anyone on the list to give us a spark or some glimmer of hope 😭 3 debutants already... Not ideal

**Wagner not debutant but close enough

We did the same at the start of last season.   Blood young players early to see where they are at,  and then start to settle the teams 22.    And the year before that,  2017 iirc, we played Weide for a few early season games...  and many said he wasn't up to it,  but her got a real taste of it,  then went back to go to work on his needs.

The other thing this year is,  the 666 rule has opened space around the ground,  so our former structures no longer work as they did.

So its natural that supporters are looking to see what balance we can find, that works with the new AFL plays.  That will mean we change our shape as a team.   With more emphasis on run/carry,  than we had last year.

Oskar Baker is slowly gathering the fitness he needs to compete and run hard as he gains the match practice. Has had 3 game now and cross fingers has pulled up well.  A season ending hammy in 2018 and a hammy to his opposite leg  as well finished him off that season and missed finals at Casey. I think it won't be long before we see him playing for Melbourne sooner rather than later in the season.

Oskar has speed to burn and is a tough fiery fella imo would be an asset can  find the ball.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Spargo had no standout VFL games pre selection and adapted to AFL standard immediately. Why would we expect any different from an outside mid/wing who's not going to be near the ball enough to command selection with a standout BOG. 

Throw em in the deep end (if fit) and see how they swim.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Baker coming off a bad hammy injury pre-season so I would think probably a few weeks away from being fully fit......he will get his chance & has a lot to offer.

Baker did his hamstring around August 4 2018. Hardly 'pre-season'.

Should be primed by now.

Had one of the longest layoffs for a hamstring injury I've ever heard of (without surgery). He wasn't that long ago that he joined the main group in full training. I hope he's not rushed in to the seniors underdone. The knock on him is disposal and decision making so I'd like him to tear it apart at Casey first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Should be primed by now.

I think he's had a number of bad hammy injuries. Apparently they are building up his load slowly as coming back too soon in the past has seen him do another. Rather they get it right, and in the process work on his disposal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Baker is not ready yet.  Hunt and Baker could be damaging but Baker needs 5-6 more games at Casey.  

Not sure that one could agree on this prescription for Baker's readiness. Surely it would be a matter of pulling up well first, after his injured hamstring is more reliable. JD recommends a baptism of fire - throw him into the side and see how he dog paddles; this, perhaps, makes sense - he has had a long time in the wings of tolerant waiting. Most reports on his Casey roles have been encouraging, as well. We need pace. He may be a great handballer if kicking is sloppy. He may click. Others, better known, have not clicked and many of us are tiring of their continued selection for no improvement. 

14 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Should be primed by now.

it was a Very bad hammy.

He needs time to fully extend that leg and hammy,  to test it properly,  before he's selected...   he's not ready yet or we will be doing another May.

I think he needs another year at Casey. Nothing wrong with developing through the vfl. More injuries and may get a look in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, A F said:

If he can't get a game this year, I'd say he'll be delisted. We desperately need outside run, so it'll say everything if he can't get into the team.

One of the journos (Guthrie) mentioned that he wasn't far off a game last year before he got injured.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Should be primed by now.

Did it for a second time in September trying to come back for finals. The 2 injuries in short succession mandated the long lay off. Was in the rehab group all summer until Feb/March as they slowly built him back up and has only played 2 or 3? Casey games.

He also appears more of a speed athlete than a natural endurance runner so putting him in on a wing at anything less than peak fitness would be setting him up to fail. 

Kolodjashnij, who has a bigger natural tank and AFL experience was awful after an interrupted prep, I don’t want to see that for Baker. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me how Oskar Baker is going down at Casey?  I looked at his highlight reels when he was recruited to the Dees and I thought he was a certainty for the opening game of 2018, yet in this losing side of 2019 his name is never mentioned!  From what I saw he looks like he has a lot of talent.

Battling at Casey. If he can’t get a game in this poor lineup crying out for speed, then he’s set to be delisted you’d think.

3 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Battling at Casey. If he can’t get a game in this poor lineup crying out for speed, then he’s set to be delisted you’d think.

Delisting?

I wanted him to get a game mid-season last year before he was injured but the #1 rule in life is never get seduced by the highlights tape.

delisted at seasons end. we need speed and he still can't get a game. goneski 

Gee, the mood here has soured. His name was being thrown around for selection last year prior to a serious injury and he was performing consistently in the twos. Now everyone thinks he's set for delisting six months later and after just his second year on the list? Okay.