Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Non MFC games Round 2

DubDee

1 minute ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Ha ha, finally some excitement, a double fiddy!

Thats one of the most ridiculous free kicks ive ever seen.....what are they doing to the game. There was hardly any infringement in the first place. 100m.  

1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

Neither of these boring teams should be getting Friday night games. 

Dont worry, Essendon have something like 6 night games this year....

Who is umpire 21?  The guy started the game with an itchy trigger finger, spoiling the flow of the game with his constant awarding of barely there frees, and now he fails to see the more than obvious defection of a ball touched through the goals, when he’s standing about three meters away.  Laughable!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

IMO people are going the early crow on Petracca. Let's reassess at the end of this year.

Statistically, he's very similar to De Goey, but the Magpie is clearly ahead for goals.

I'd keep him out of the midfield rotation for a few weeks and get him to play as a permanent forward. Keep it simple, because he actually makes the easy look difficult and the hard look easy at times. 

I reckon he'll be okay and I think given how close they are statistically, it shows you what Petracca's ceiling is if he can get it together, because De Goey is considered a 'star' and he is due to scoreboard impact.

Adam, I usually agree with you. And believe me I want to agree with you on this but it is very difficult. 

Petracca is a lazy footballer. In the old days, he would have been called a prima donna. 

I have never watched him on the training track but to be successful you have to have the right attributes on and off the track. 

He does not work hard enough for longer enough and that's why I regard him as lazy.  

He has to play forward because unless you can run all day, you can't play in the midfield. He has not the speed or the endurance to play anywhere but on a flank or pocket and even then he does not have the speed or endurance to be a constant threat. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Adam, I usually agree with you. And believe me I want to agree with you on this but it is very difficult. 

Petracca is a lazy footballer. In the old days, he would have been called a prima donna. 

I have never watched him on the training track but to be successful you have to have the right attributes on and off the track. 

He does not work hard enough for longer enough and that's why I regard him as lazy.  

He has to play forward because unless you can run all day, you can't play in the midfield. He has not the speed or the endurance to play anywhere but on a flank or pocket and even then he does not have the speed or endurance to be a constant threat. 

I agree with all of that, mate. He's lazy and a show pony.

I think if he puts it all together though, he'll be equal if not better, than De Goey.

Edited by A F

28 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Be careful,  expert track watcher and cheerleader @Satyriconhome  will come after you for saying that

9 hours ago, hemingway said:

The other difference is that De Goey is a match winner and Petracca is not. 

Yep the difference is in the mental makeup of the person, the mind set, the way they think, x with personality type...  and also the depth of self-belief.

One type has a take it all on attitude...  the other wants to showoff in a quiet corner somewhere, and applaud those that DO.

This is the same personality type that we consistently recruited over the generations.   The more conservatively minded, sadly.

We would be much better NOT looking into their mental makeup at all...  instead of recruiting those types who won't get into any mischief. 

# memo Mfc.    Don't do personality tests on our potential recruits...   just recruit a lot of talent without profiling them...  and then we may well get back to a better strike rate of successes...   compared to our past 30 years of recruiting.

10 hours ago, A F said:

IMO people are going the early crow on Petracca. Let's reassess at the end of this year.

Statistically, he's very similar to De Goey, but the Magpie is clearly ahead for goals.

I'd keep him out of the midfield rotation for a few weeks and get him to play as a permanent forward. Keep it simple, because he actually makes the easy look difficult and the hard look easy at times. 

I reckon he'll be okay and I think given how close they are statistically, it shows you what Petracca's ceiling is if he can get it together, because De Goey is considered a 'star' and he is due to scoreboard impact.

Playing as a half forward flank can be a difficult position at times. You're not around the ball for the whole game and you're not the focal point of attacks either. Maybe I am being too forgiving of Petracca but I don't think he's being played to his strengths. It's going to be difficult to rack up 25 touches a week in that position.

I think where DeGoey has thrived is being made the focal point or target of Collingwoods forward movements. He knows his role and if he only gets 10 stats in a game but kicks 3 goals he's had a good day. This has come through necessity for Collingwood as they didn't have anyone else to play full forward at the time when he started playing there. A year or so ago DeGoey was still an inconsistent unproven player. People are quick to jump on the bandwagon and forget he's had way more issues than Petracca. This time last year he was caught drink driving, 12 months before that he lied about how he'd broken his hand? So yeh it looks great for him at the moment but Petracca is ahead of him in terms of his overall output upto date in my opinion.

In terms of going forward I think the coaching staff could play Petracca more as the deepest forward a lot more often. He creates a hard match up for defenders as they won't have his strength at the same height. With the new 6-6-6 rules we are going to see more one on one match ups & I'd like to see the coaching staff try take advantage of this and isolate Petracca on his defender a lot more and see what he can do. 

• Like 2

Eddie puts foot in mouth again. Eddie's gaffe

He ridiculed Cynthia Banham’s coin toss who was trying to balance herself with a walking stick as she had both her legs amputated after an airline crash.  Cynthia is an incredibly accomplished and courageous person and the Swans No 1 ticket holder. 

To my mind this isn't about being pc it is about feeling empathy and showing respect.  If he could see the coin toss, Eddie could see her struggle.  Rightly, he has unreservedly apologised but this goes down as one of his most insensitive comments of all time.  Somehow, an apology over the airways doesn't seem enough. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Love 3

Eddie got his success because he had a great feeling for the media, like a sixth sense, which has long died into cinders.

But above that, he's got a thin skin. Always quick to stick the boot in but extremely sensitive when the boot is on the other foot. Watch how long before he turns this into "I'm the victim here".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Playing as a half forward flank can be a difficult position at times. You're not around the ball for the whole game and you're not the focal point of attacks either. Maybe I am being too forgiving of Petracca but I don't think he's being played to his strengths. It's going to be difficult to rack up 25 touches a week in that position.

I think where DeGoey has thrived is being made the focal point or target of Collingwoods forward movements. He knows his role and if he only gets 10 stats in a game but kicks 3 goals he's had a good day. This has come through necessity for Collingwood as they didn't have anyone else to play full forward at the time when he started playing there. A year or so ago DeGoey was still an inconsistent unproven player. People are quick to jump on the bandwagon and forget he's had way more issues than Petracca. This time last year he was caught drink driving, 12 months before that he lied about how he'd broken his hand? So yeh it looks great for him at the moment but Petracca is ahead of him in terms of his overall output upto date in my opinion.

In terms of going forward I think the coaching staff could play Petracca more as the deepest forward a lot more often. He creates a hard match up for defenders as they won't have his strength at the same height. With the new 6-6-6 rules we are going to see more one on one match ups & I'd like to see the coaching staff try take advantage of this and isolate Petracca on his defender a lot more and see what he can do. 

I completely agree with this. He needs to stay forward permanently and have a role to play. I concur it should be as a deep forward.