Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Writing Was/Is on the Wall

rjay

30 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Carlton may yet brew up something respectable, even dangerous. It looks like they've got a No.1 pick exactly right this time, and adding such a complete midfielder to their mix makes a huge difference. Right now they could do with an extra big body or two to take some of the contested pummeling, but overall their existing young midfield quartet (Cripps, Walsh, Dow, Petrevski-Seton) has real potential. I'd argue they need to bring that up to six instead of four, with the extra two being chunky types. As we all know, all too well, it is much easier to find solid, hard-working extractors than it is to find dynamic users.

They recruited their talls first on the obvious theory that talls take longer to develop and they wanted everyone peaking at the same time. Injury (defence) and form (attack) issues have certainly proved that right, but the structure is there. I really think they could rise again to their heady heights of a few years ago, where they were successful also-rans in a couple of finals series. :D

Meanwhile, I think Melbourne are two fit key defenders, a couple of in-form tall forwards, and slightly improved kicking effectiveness short of being the dominant team of the competition.

Can we make those things happen in time to salvage 2019? From where we are right now, all it takes is six players finding their way to their best.

(Lever at his best) + (May at his best) + (McDonald at his best) + (Weideman at his best) + (Brayshaw at his best) + (Viney at his best)

= Monster winning streak and premiership favourite.

It is a lot to ask, but also not much to ask, in the grand scheme of things.

I have cast 2019 off as a loss caused by surgery to some of our best players and a large number of injuries. 2020 I expect a lot better. However if we don't get back to 2018 form then teams like the blues will go past us.

4 hours ago, rjay said:

I don't like our midfield with Viney and Oliver in at centre bounces together. I much prefer Brayshaw to Viney as I think they work better together. I don't like to see Brayshaw sitting out of the wing, he's being wasted and is better value than Viney.

Yeah, but does Goody have the guts to put Viney somewhere else? Viney would be more useful on a wing or even Half forward if it meant we had the best of Brayshaw back in the middle, he's wasted on the wing. Gawn, Oliver & Brayshaw were an amazing tandem last year.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Yeah, but does Goody have the guts to put Viney somewhere else? Viney would be more useful on a wing or even Half forward if it meant we had the best of Brayshaw back in the middle, he's wasted on the wing. Gawn, Oliver & Brayshaw were an amazing tandem last year.

Agree wholeheartedly. I seems as if Gus has been given the shift to accomadate VIney. THe work of Oliver Gawn and Brayshaw last year gave us drive into the Fwd line. I feel Viney's best spot is as a small fwd. He woulkd have a few looking when he is in the area and would provide a scrap in the fwd line. Might preserve his body a bit more.. I f need be he could be slotted into the middle if things are not going well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The first couple of minutes of today's game were close to a mirror of the prelim from last year. We had errant handballs and a total lack of system.

The only difference in the games is that Collingwood failed to take full advantage & convert early on.

No matter what Goody says & Jones says as he did tonight, they haven't adjusted the plan one little bit & that's a big concern.

If they think they have tell 'em they're dreaming.

Treloar basically said it post game, we knew what Melbourne would bring & we waited, adjusted, took advantage & ran them on the outside.

Yeah we can win contested ball but because we have so many drawn into the contest to win it we have no one to give it to and we cough the ball up...and off they go.

Within days of Reece Shaw taking over the North job there were obvious changes to the way they played so we can't use the it takes time excuse...but we do.

If the coaches are coaching a different plan to what we're playing then we have an even bigger problem than I thought...the players are not listening, the coaches are not communicating.

Looking at how we are playing the only thing I can deduce at this point in time is that Goody is not a good coach. From what I am seeing he is stubbornly sticking to a plan that just doesn't work, sticking with players/positions that aren't working, clutching at straws bringing in underdone players.

The measure of him going forward will be his ability to reset & adjust. If he can do this rather than stubbornly stick to his current plan then I reckon he will turn the corner. I hope he has the currency (faith from the playing group) to pull it off, after a while he will be out of coin, it will be too late.

Buckley & Hardwick pulled it off but it's not a given, if he's good listener, has the right council & we pull the right levers with new appointments then all's not lost. I truly hope this is the case as I couldn't take another coaching change.

As we look at things now...is Goody a good coach? No.

Very few are in their early years, they need to grow into the role.

Will he be a good coach? I sure hope so.

A few observations from my first post after the Port game.

Max has really stood up, he's not allowing himself to be pushed around. He's back at the top of his game and a credit to himself. Just wish he would stop pushing the ball to the left in his set shots.

Tommy Mac is done..for his own good & ours he needs time at Casey. Please...nothing has changed.

Hibberd is still struggling, admittedly coming off the collar bone is not helping (rushed back/underdone) but he has been inconsistent and we're not using him well.

Fritsch is treading water.

I reckon Trac is on track, just not being used to his full potential. See forward set up...

Weid needs to stay, he's our best bet forward but with Preuss as his foil & to relieve him of 2nd ruck duties,

...and who is the coach responsible for our forward structure???? the buck has to stop with Goody but why do we insist on this narrow funnel set up at centre bounces. It gives us nowhere to go but wide to no mans land.

We get the ball in the middle & look up to 6 forwards & 6 backs all in the the same lane way & kick it there. Is it a wonder the ball rebounds so quickly.

There's still a lack of passion & it showed out today.

May & Lever will be gold but we paid overs for them. The list needs a lot of work I just hope we can conjure the currency to get us what we need.

This year is the drop off year, the measure of the club, coach, FD & players is going to be how/if we bounce back.

Expect a full review & some level of power to be taken out of Goody's hands. Everyone got ahead of themselves & changes will be made.

I hope we get the right person to do the review, a real smart football operator who knows clubland & success backwards.

What's Andrew Ireland doing in retirement, an old Roy boy maybe could do with a couple of months pocket money????

Worth a call Perty...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 9

On 5/17/2019 at 5:35 PM, old dee said:

I have cast 2019 off as a loss caused by surgery to some of our best players and a large number of injuries. 2020 I expect a lot better. However if we don't get back to 2018 form then teams like the blues will go past us.

The Blues are useless. They will continue as cellar dwellers for years yet. Unfortunately we look pretty useless at present too with so many losses. It’s so frustrating to watch the players get it towards and into the fifty and then not be able to capitalize and get some goals. We could have won so many games this year with more accurate kicks into the fifty, better leads from forwards and more accurate and opportunistic kicking for goal.

Edited by Stormy Dee

10 hours ago, rjay said:

Expect a full review & some level of power to be taken out of Goody's hands. Everyone got ahead of themselves & changes will be made.

I hope we get the right person to do the review, a real smart football operator who knows clubland & success backwards.

What's Andrew Ireland doing in retirement, an old Roy boy maybe could do with a couple of months pocket money????

Worth a call Perty...

I think this is going to be key to our recovery...no recruiting decisions should be made until this happens either.

10 hours ago, rjay said:

Worth a call Perty...

I very much doubt there will be a review that includes power being taken put of Goody's hands RJ.

The people that were responsible for the rediculous 4 year extension would effectively be admitting they have made a mistake, which isn't going to happen while they are in power.  You may as well ask Goody to step aside or resign if questions of power come into play.

Neither will happen.  We are stuck with Goody and the present board until the next lot of messiahs come along.  By that point the list will look entirely different and probably in need of another rebuild.

MFC's usual rinse and repeat methods.

Unfortunately the Roos/PJ era was too short lived to fully right the ship.  Another 3 to 5 years was needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjay said:

The first couple of minutes of today's game were close to a mirror of the prelim from last year. We had errant handballs and a total lack of system.

The only difference in the games is that Collingwood failed to take full advantage & convert early on.

No matter what Goody says & Jones says as he did tonight, they haven't adjusted the plan one little bit & that's a big concern.

Treloar basically said it post game, we knew what Melbourne would bring & we waited, adjusted, took advantage & ran them on the outside.

Yeah we can win contested ball but because we have so many drawn into the contest to win it we have no one to give it to and we cough the ball up...and off they go.

Within days of Reece Shaw taking over the North job there were obvious changes to the way they played so we can't use the it takes time excuse...but we do.

If the coaches are coaching a different plan to what we're playing then we have an even bigger problem than I thought...the players are not listening, the coaches are not communicating.

Looking at how we are playing the only thing I can deduce at this point in time is that Goody is not a good coach. From what I am seeing he is stubbornly sticking to a plan that just doesn't work, sticking with players/positions that aren't working, clutching at straws bringing in underdone players.

The measure of him going forward will be his ability to reset & adjust. If he can do this rather than stubbornly stick to his current plan then I reckon he will turn the corner. I hope he has the currency (faith from the playing group) to pull it off, after a while he will be out of coin, it will be too late.

Buckley & Hardwick pulled it off but it's not a given, if he's good listener, has the right council & we pull the right levers with new appointments then all's not lost. I truly hope this is the case as I couldn't take another coaching change.

Max has really stood up, he's not allowing himself to be pushed around. He's back at the top of his game and a credit to himself. Just wish he would stop pushing the ball to the left in his set shots.

Tommy Mac is done..for his own good & ours he needs time at Casey. Please...nothing has changed.

Hibberd is still struggling, admittedly coming off the collar bone is not helping (rushed back/underdone) but he has been inconsistent and we're not using him well.

I reckon Trac is on track, just not being used to his full potential. See forward set up...

Weid needs to stay, he's our best bet forward but with Preuss as his foil & to relieve him of 2nd ruck duties,

...and who is the coach responsible for our forward structure???? the buck has to stop with Goody but why do we insist on this narrow funnel set up at centre bounces. It gives us nowhere to go but wide to no mans land.

We get the ball in the middle & look up to 6 forwards & 6 backs all in the the same lane way & kick it there. Is it a wonder the ball rebounds so quickly.

May & Lever will be gold but we paid overs for them. The list needs a lot of work I just hope we can conjure the currency to get us what we need.

This year is the drop off year, the measure of the club, coach, FD & players is going to be how/if we bounce back.

Worth a call Perty...

Yes and if you listened to the channel 7 telecast you would have heard Viney one minute before the bounce say our plan was to start fast and thats what they tried, fast handballs, fast kicks, fast thinking, all to no avail. So we are still playing the 2018 game that teams worked out. Perhaps if Goody and Co had watched a replay of the Prelim final they would know that as fact. By not watching that game and saying it wasnt our brand of footy he missed the point. The reason to watch was to understand the game plan used against us. Pretty basic stuff for a coach to absorb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Yes and if you listened to the channel 7 telecast you would have heard Viney one minute before the bounce say our plan was to start fast and thats what they tried, fast handballs, fast kicks, fast thinking, all to no avail. So we are still playing the 2018 game that teams worked out. Perhaps if Goody and Co had watched a replay of the Prelim final they would know that as fact. By not watching that game and saying it wasnt our brand of footy he missed the point. The reason to watch was to understand the game plan used against us. Pretty basic stuff for a coach to absorb.

Yep "Sorry " that simple understanding seems lost in the noise

This entire club needs to have a deep dive in to what has happened. Its embarrassing on so many levels..

We are being coached in an awful manner.. why is it that every person on outside the  club can see we are not playing the type of footy that is suited to where our list is at?  play fast, manic footy and tehn get it and kick it into the fwd line to no one.. slow it down, covet the footy for a while.. its just amatuer hour. Glad we have Craig Jennings that genius in teh box helping Goodwin out.. total shambles.

We have been prepared awfully.. a total inability to cover the ground, we have a back 6 with 5 blokes who cannot run out of sight on a dark night, every one knew we need pace and spread and skill.. we go and draft inside mids again.. draft 2 small fwds.. who cant get a game. 2 years in a row,w e have drafted slow inside mids.

Im fed up with the club, im fed up with the players, all they do is talk.. and a lot of that is to the opposition.. when was the last time you can remember out team having a scuffle? Hunt with Sicily is the only one i can really remenber.. we ave no edge, no desire, no mongrel.. Brayshaw and Oliver are to busy wanting to chat to their opponent and have a laugh.

I am fed up with footy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I very much doubt there will be a review that includes power being taken put of Goody's hands RJ.

The people that were responsible for the rediculous 4 year extension would effectively be admitting they have made a mistake, which isn't going to happen while they are in power.  You may as well ask Goody to step aside or resign if questions of power come into play.

Neither will happen.  We are stuck with Goody and the present board until the next lot of messiahs come along.  By that point the list will look entirely different and probably in need of another rebuild.

MFC's usual rinse and repeat methods.

Unfortunately the Roos/PJ era was too short lived to fully right the ship.  Another 3 to 5 years was needed.

My hope is that there is a thorough review.

As for power, Goody seemed to be the man and when he started talking about Mahoney being the new CEO alarm bells should have rung. It's not his area & I hope Bartlett had a talk to him about it.

I think/hope a review will call for changes in the FD and that will from necessity erode Goody's power base.

The oft mentioned Buckley, Hardwick & Thompson all got taken down a peg after poor seasons and the following review. Even Clarkson had Jeff to deal with...

I live in hope 'Rusty', I just hope they don't call on someone like Lyon again.

I've put up the suggestion of Ireland, we need a real heavyweight.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rjay said:

Worth a call Perty...

This has been a terrible year and I'd agree with much of what you've said other than there are credible alternative explanations which need to be factored into any discussion and in my view make your summation very emotive.

Here are some of my observations/beliefs:

1.  We very nearly, and should have, beaten WCE and Adelaide.  The reality is we completely outplayed each of these teams other than on the scoreboard.  And we did it with significantly compromised teams.  WCE and Adelaide are good, if you can compete with them you're not far away.

2.  We have a significant disconnect between our mids and our forwards which is hurting us.  But the reality is that Jones, Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, Brayshaw and Viney all had significantly interrupted preseasons and therefore had no time to refine and develop this "connect".

3.  For all that I'm sick to death of saying it (to myself), we are young.  Almost all of our talent is young.  Our over 25 year old players are Lewis, Jones, Garlett, Hibberd, Jetta, Melksham, Gawn, May, TMac, Frost, AVB and Viney.  Compare that with Collingwood: Pendles, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Beams, Howe, Sidebottom, Thomas, Elliott, Treloar, Hosking Elliott, Adams, Crips, Grundy and Langdon.  It's chalk and cheese. Fancy a mature team beating a team of kids.

If you want a comparison of a team in a similar position look at Richmond.  They did very well early with a few injuries but they reached a critical level and then they just fell apart.  Big losses to North and a terrible thumping by Geelong. They just couldn't cope with the number of injuries and now look uncompetitive.  There situation now is similar to what we've faced for much of the year.

Collingwood are second on the ladder and we pushed them into the last quarter.  I'm not saying we were ever going to win but we were very competitive and I think we were the better team over the last three quarters.  They kicked 9 goals straight in the last half, we kicked 4.10.  I acknowledge that much of that is where the goals are kicked from but the general view that we are uncompetitive and need a total overhaul is based on emotion and not rational analysis. Frankly, it's just not correct.

We are a much better list than last year.  Baker and Hore alone make us so and Lockhart has shown signs.  Fritsch, after a slow start, has played very well the last few weeks and then you have May and Lever.

Many have criticised the FD for bringing players back too quickly.  It's being done because players benefit from playing with each other.  That's where the "connection" comes from.  Goody is putting a team on the field that will be a lot of our best 22 next year because he knows the more we play together the better we'll connect and the better we'll do. That's why Lever played on the weekend.  It's not that hard to figure out.

I'm not suggesting that we don't need to change some things.  Some new voices in the assistant coaching department would be a good idea, a tweak to the game plan as every team will do, but this concept that we are a rabble is just plain wrong in my view.  We need to see this year as it really is.  We had a horribly compromised preseason, we had a terrible run of injuries early in the season and we played horribly compromised teams for much of that period.  People will hate this but we've done okay given the hand we've been dealt; we've missed some good opportunities but we've put in some excellent performances. 

Hear is a list of our notable under 24's:  Preuss, Salem, Kilodjashnij, Harmes, Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, Hore, Fritsch, Weideman, Oliver, Baker and JSmith.  When you look at that lot and think about it you'd be silly not to hold a fair degree of optimism for the not too distant future.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

This has been a terrible year and I'd agree with much of what you've said other than there are credible alternative explanations which need to be factored into any discussion and in my view make your summation very emotive.

1.  We very nearly, and should have, beaten WCE and Adelaide.  The reality is we completely outplayed each of these teams other than on the scoreboard.  And we did it with significantly compromised teams.  WCE and Adelaide are good, if you can compete with them you're not far away.

2.  We have a significant disconnect between our mids and our forwards which is hurting us.  But the reality is that Jones, Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, Brayshaw and Viney all had significantly interrupted preseasons and therefore had no time to refine and develop this "connect".

3.  For all that I'm sick to death of saying it (to myself), we are young.  Almost all of our talent is young.  Our over 25 year old players are Lewis, Jones, Garlett, Hibberd, Jetta, Melksham, Gawn, May, TMac, Frost, AVB and Viney.  Compare that with Collingwood: Pendles, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Beams, Howe, Sidebottom, Thomas, Elliott, Treloar, Hosking Elliott, Adams, Crips, Grundy and Langdon.  It's chalk and cheese. Fancy a mature team beating a team of kids.

If you want a comparison of a team in a similar position look at Richmond.  They did very well early with a few injuries but they reached a critical level and then they just fell apart.  Big losses to North and a terrible thumping by Geelong. They just couldn't cope with the number of injuries and now look uncompetitive.  There situation now is similar to what we've faced for much of the year.

Collingwood are second on the ladder and we pushed them into the last quarter.  I'm not saying we were ever going to win but we were very competitive and I think we were the better team over the last three quarters.  They kicked 9 goals straight in the last half, we kicked 4.10.  I acknowledge that much of that is where the goals are kicked from but the general view that we are uncompetitive and need a total overhaul is based on emotion and not rational analysis. Frankly, it's just not correct.

We are a much better list than last year.  Baker and Hore alone make us so and Lockhart has shown signs.  Fritsch, after a slow start, has played very well the last few weeks and then you have May and Lever.

Many have criticised the FD for bringing players back too quickly.  It's being done because players benefit from playing with each other.  That's where the "connection" comes from.  Goody is putting a team on the field that will be a lot of our best 22 next year because he knows the more we play together the better we'll connect and the better we'll do. That's why Lever played on the weekend.  It's not that hard to figure out.

I'm not suggesting that we don't need to change some things.  Some new voices in the assistant coaching department would be a good idea, a tweak to the game plan as every team will do, but this concept that we are a rabble is just plain wrong in my view.  We need to see this year as it really is.  We had a horribly compromised preseason, we had a terrible run of injuries early in the season and we played horribly compromised teams for much of that period.  People will hate this but we've done okay given the hand we've been dealt; we've missed some good opportunities but we've put in some excellent performances. 

Hear is a list of our notable under 24's:  Preuss, Salem, Kilodjashnij, Harmes, Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, Hore, Fritsch, Weideman, Oliver, Baker and JSmith.  When you look at that lot and think about it you'd be silly not to hold a fair degree of optimism for the not too distant future.

Some really good points there 'Bob'...

Injuries have played a major part, no doubt and we have pushed some good sides.

My biggest issue is that we haven't changed our game since the Prelim.

This is on Goody and I think we need fresh voices in the FD to keep him accountable.

I also think we have work to do on the list but lists are always a work in progress.

A big question is can Tommy Mac get his form back?

His 2 biggest assets, overhead marking and accuracy have totally deserted him.

For now he needs time at Casey to work on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Most of what you said isn't wrong.

The problem is that we never once looked like beating Collingwood. And we consistently looked vulnerable against Adelaide.

The team is being poorly managed and coached at the moment. I smell 2011 all over again (we are arguably playing worse, at least we could score in 2011), and a lot of those under 24s you mentioned may just be round 2 of Tapscott, Gysberts, Johnson, Morton and Bennell. All of those players were destined to be superstars of the game in 2011. They barely lasted into the decade.

We have few assets that we can trade without accepting that we're in a rebuild. Who honestly do we trade to pull in what we need?

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 1:00 AM, Stormy Dee said:

The Blues are useless. They will continue as cellar dwellers for years yet. Unfortunately we look pretty useless at present too with so many losses. It’s so frustrating to watch the players get it towards and into the fifty and then not be able to capitalize and get some goals. We could have won so many games this year with more accurate kicks into the fifty, better leads from forwards and more accurate and opportunistic kicking for goal.

You know that one SD. If your aunty had b...

20 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

We’ve been called “the young Demons” team for the past 45 years.

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:31 PM, rjay said:

You're right 'Goody', it's no reason to overreact but that's now 4 poor games in a row.

That's a trend.

I think we can now put some things into perspective and act to fix what we can.

From my post after the JLT games...

"A lot of people wanting to put things into perspective from my readings....

...so here's my perspective.

We're not good enough to cruise through preseason games just yet...if these games are meant to tweak the game plan and fine tune for the first game then heaven help us.

That was a dogs breakfast.

No amount of perspective can change that."

In another post earlier in the year I also said that our continued improvement will be harder this year.

We've been on a steady upward climb and logic would see us drop off a bit somewhere.

Is this the year we drop back a bit? do we miss finals?

A bit early to call but on the evidence of the last 4 games we've got work to do.

I think our list is overrated by the media and of course us fans...there are holes and I'm sure the FD know this.

We lack quality small forwards, Jeffy is the only class one we have and he's super flakey...

Spargo is not up to it yet and I don't think he has the tricks to ever be. At his size he needs them big time.

ANB can fill a role but at the moment that's what all our small forwards are trying to do...he must hit the scoreboard to hold his place.

We had Sparrow in there yesterday for his first game and at least he put some pressure on but he's not a small forward.

Hunt's been tried but he's not one either.

So our small forwards are about pressure but none bring scoreboard pressure except Jeffy at times.

Our defence..Frost, should have been delisted.

Omac...the experiment is over. Time to put development into Petty alongside May & Lever.

Hibberd hasn't been the player he was in 2017, he's drifting by and not working anywhere near hard enough.

We miss Lever big time but I think we overpaid for him, one of those draft kids running around now adding a bit of class could have been handy.

Tommy Mac worries me, he's had a good season as a forward but has been very average as of late.

History shows he had a really good season and a bit as a defender then dropped off dramatically.

Let's hope it's just an aberration and he's up and firing again soon but the trend is remarkably similar.

Is Tommy getting ahead of himself or have the opposition worked him?

A big call but maybe Tommy could do with some Casey time with his brother.

Weid is a kid and he will get a bit more time. Expect him to be up and down but he needs to work harder when down.

Trac...undecided on him. I get the feeling he will never be the player we wanted but still be a good player. Just not a great one.

It's time to deliver young Trac, no more teasing.

The mids are a good group but they are believing their own publicity.

Thanks Gary Lyon, we all know Oliver is a star but he doesn't need to drink his own bathwater and he has recently.

Time for them to grow up and also time for Max to focus on his game, he's being pushed around too easily.

You're a big boy Max and you don't need everyone to like you.

Outside run, yeah we all know that. KK may provide some if he gets back to early career form but there's no guarantee there.

Being out of the early picks in the last 2 drafts has hurt and we need to pick some more talent.

Fritsch is class but is only a fringe player at the moment so he needs to give us more this year.

A side note to yesterday...they were up and about.

Did anyone notice how many players ran to Sparrow when he kicked his first AFL goal in his first game? not enough for my liking.

We weren't up for it.

So the question remains...the writing was on the wall for yesterdays game. Is it on the wall going forward?

Will we drop off this year?

On 3/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, rjay said:

Interested to know what the overreaction is. The reaction is not just off one game...

Coming off the back of a very poor prelim final and no form in the preseason series we got what was probably the expected result on Saturday.

If Max did have a general during the week then that tells the tale about his lethargy. Also a bit of how Pruess is thought of by the FD at the moment.

I get some players may have been underdone but the one with probably the least time on legs in preseason was Melk and he was one of our best.

Oliver's first game at AFL level was a 2 vote Brownlow game, he came into that game as a pudgy kid with a shortened preseason. Based on Saturday's game  he needs needs an attitude readjustment following the AA and Gary Lyon pump up.

I'm a big fan but he's a kid and in danger of drinking his own bathwater. He was AA last year but personally I thought his previous season was better. His ball handling was not as crisp, I put last year down to the shoulders and maybe the start of this year to not much competitive work in the preseason. Interested to watch the next few weeks...hope he doesn't get the 2nd year blues in his 4th year.

May was a big loss, stupid act but on current AFL standards very unlucky to get a week...but they had key players out and blooded 4 kids.

I don't think it's an overreaction to ask questions.

The writing was on the wall as far as Saturday goes, even more than we originally thought.

Is it going forward?

Writing us off now would be an overreaction for sure, but unless we fix some area's of our game we're not going anywhere.

It could be the season we drop back a bit or we could re load and take all before us.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, rjay said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2019-04-20/postmatch-simon-goodwin

Got news for you Simon it's been 7 months now not 4 weeks and you haven't fixed it...

Go back and look at the Prelim and understand that we did play our brand and it was found sadly lacking...

On 4/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, rjay said:

Read this comment from a Hawks supporter on Facebook.

A pretty good summation I would think....

"Not a dees supporter (Hawks supporter), but have watched all their games this year. Your team has no connection up forward. Trying to play players in the forward line who are not forwards. Midfield is very good, but appears to have no confidence in the forward line. Another major problem is your defensive structure as they zone off way too far and allowed some real easy goals. Not rubbing it in, just putting my thoughts on it. It is a long way back for this year, but think they will bounce back, but need to play players in their natural positions."

Just looking back over this thread I started after the first game.

I didn't expect us to be this bad but the writing was certainly on the wall.

Injury has played a part no doubt.

...but the other big issues to my mind are the list has been over rated & our coach is flogging a dead horse.

There may also be a disconnect between the players & FD...don't know if this is right but to have a disastrous season like this then there is more than meets the eye.

Surely now we need an external review Mr Bartlett!!!!!!!!!

The answers haven't been found from within and my faith that they will be diminishes by the game....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes it is time for an external review. 

Last night was so predictable, i knew before the game started when the fade would start

it’s not about opposition. It’s all about us

Absolutely have to do a whole club review now. What has gone wrong? Injuries are a transient issue of the AFL. Our problem runs much deeper.

I really hope the media jump on us this week. This club needs a heap of heat on it to force its hand and do a full blown review. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Absolutely have to do a whole club review now. What has gone wrong? Injuries are a transient issue of the AFL. Our problem runs much deeper.

I really hope the media jump on us this week. This club needs a heap of heat on it to force its hand and do a full blown review. 

Yep. Have thought it all year. 

We simply have not recovered from September in Perth last year. This years problems have just made it worse. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:55 PM, rjay said:

Worth a call Perty...

Edited by Skin Deeamond

PAUL Roos remembers the meeting like it was yesterday.

In the room was Todd Viney, Josh Mahoney, Roos and prospective coach Simon Goodwin.

The time had come to decide who would take over from the Sydney premiership coach when his time at the Demons finished up.

“I went in out of courtesy and thinking maybe we need to give this guy and opportunity (to chat to us),” Roos said on Tuesday night’s episode

“I wasn’t going in negative, but I was pretty blasé about the whole thing.”

By the end of the discussion, Goodwin had made a significant impression.

So much so, that Roos was sold. He was the perfect successor.

“When I walked out, I knew he was going to be our senior coach,” he said.

And there you have it, thats how MFC does succession plans. The coach, who wants to quickly move on picks his successor in a room with two SA mates of the prospective coach. All wrapped up in less than an hour.

• Thanks 1