Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Writing Was/Is on the Wall

rjay

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Read this comment from a Hawks supporter on Facebook.

A pretty good summation I would think....

"Not a dees supporter (Hawks supporter), but have watched all their games this year. Your team has no connection up forward. Trying to play players in the forward line who are not forwards. Midfield is very good, but appears to have no confidence in the forward line. Another major problem is your defensive structure as they zone off way too far and allowed some real easy goals. Not rubbing it in, just putting my thoughts on it. It is a long way back for this year, but think they will bounce back, but need to play players in their natural positions."

Shame we traded way a bunch of our natural forwards in Watts Hogan Kent and Howe

• Like 1

I dont think we will get the spoon but agree we would only be even money to beat Carlton. Could see one or two of their out of form talented forwards kicking a few against us.

19 hours ago, A F said:

Game style is done. Time to change tact. We don't have the personnel or coaching nous to make chaos footy work on the most important ground in the game.

2019 is done and dusted. Start trying some things for 2020 and play man on man, throw the press out and start again.

I'll back Goodwin to turn it around, but if he sticks with the game style we won't be getting off the bottom of the ladder. The forward 50 efficiency was disgraceful today.

Delay Lever...  delay May,  and get him started on a major fitness regime`... Now.!

Start playing kids with some speed... and rotate them every 2 games...  and do not allow them to get false big heads.

Don't start,  playing last years footy from now on...  or we will lose out again,  and get no-where.  We are low on ladder...  do not put up politically-correct wins, now 2019 is shot.

Hit this years draft & trade period,  'running'...   we need some top-line running skilled kids.   No trading out of our better draft picks.

Look to trade-out for needs...anyone who is not an elite-runner,  and committed to being elite-fitness.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:37 PM, Return to Glory said:

RJay, you're either on too many drugs or not enough if you think it's a good idea to drop Tom McDonald to Casey. I'm closer to where you're at re Trac.

How are the drugs looking now 'RTG'???

3 hours ago, brendan said:

We are currently $26 for the spoon, tempting odds because right now we wouldn’t even beat Carlton 

We don't want pick 1... but we need a top 5 pick, and some extra's. 

Look to trade/sell some prima-donna's...  and bring in more speed to compliment out better Inside-Mid players.

We need a quick-on-feet Inside-Mid,  in the style of Dylan Shiel.

We need a couple of elite centreline runners.

And another running-back, to aid Salem's work.

Clear the decks of any Slugs.

14 minutes ago, rjay said:

Back in medievil times you'd be a marked man rjay ... you got any good news?

You can make it up if you like - tell us what we want to hear.  Anything will do, we're not fussed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Back in medievil times you'd be a marked man rjay ... you got any good news?

You can make it up if you like - tell us what we want to hear.  Anything will do, we're not fussed.

Don't tell anyone 'Macca' but I think that Carlton may have a better balanced list than ours...just between you and me.

Once they learn to win and maybe change coach they are well positioned going forward.

I'm going to have to lay low, could be strung up for this one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

Don't tell anyone 'Macca' but I think that Carlton may have a better balanced list than ours...just between you and me.

Once they learn to win and maybe change coach they are well positioned going forward.

We will win more games rjay but I'm thinking they will be the unlikely wins rather than 'We should be able to beat such and such etc'

Oddly enough,  coming to terms with how the season will probably end up is rather easy.  Back to the default mode hey? 

None of us are going anywhere and we'll continue to be paid up members etc (why quit now?) but it does pay to have some other strong interests outside of footy.  If it is just the Demons it will do your head in.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Were is David Mission in all this as it appears we have major fitness issues.....

His already handed in his papers, like most people who hand in their papers, they don’t give a [censored] about their job anymore or the long term health of the organisation they are leaving

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Look, TBH, I'm right there with you, mate. Not sure if you're joking, but if you're not, I reckon the Blues have fixed their spine in the last 3 years (their forwardline is going to be seriously dangerous in 2-3 years). I have major questions over their engine room, but they have just about the best mid in the game and unlike us, they have some zip to their midfield.

I wonder how much having Roos in control for the time we had him, played into our drafting for certain needs. Surely it had a huge impact. The one knock on Sydney for years has been their lack of pace and you'd have to say we've gone hard after a certain type of inside bull and neglected pace. Sydney were always thereabouts, but they only won two flags (of course I'd take this record!) and missed a bunch of times, despite finishing in the top 4 for however many years. It's worth questioning this Roos influence.

I don't believe you need an array of A graders with pace on your list. I believe you need role players that offer the team a bit of balance though. We clearly don't have this.

We've been able to paper over our leg-speed deficiencies because it's more about speed of ball movement, but in actual fact, the modern game still requires great leg-speed. @Redleg 

If you look at how Richmond implement their forward half pressure, it's all about speedy smalls. If you look at how Collingwood implement their control style from the back, it's all about having players that have the pace to get into space on the wide expanses of the MCG.

But let's be up front about this here. It'll make me feel better. Where are the holes in our list that you see, @rjay?

Edited by A F

14 minutes ago, A F said:

Look, TBH, I'm right there with you, mate. Not sure if you're joking,

14 minutes ago, A F said:

But let's be up front about this here. It'll make me feel better. Where are the holes in our list that you see, @rjay?

Yep, I'm serious about Carlton 'A F'...I think their midfield is only going to get better with Walsh and I really rate Petrevski-Seton...they need to get a quality ruck, that's the only hole they have. Kruz is old and injury prone, can't rely on him.

As you say their spine looks pretty good. The future is bright for the Blues...

Will give you my thoughts on our list later this eve when I have some time to put into it.

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, rjay said:

Yep, I'm serious about Carlton 'A F'...I think their midfield is only going to get better with Walsh and I really rate Petrevski-Seton...they need to get a quality ruck, that's the only hole they have. Kruz is old and injury prone, can't rely on him.

Will give you my thoughts on our list later this eve when I have some time to put into it.

Petrevski-Seton is exactly the sort of player our midfield is lacking. The closest thing we've got to him is Harmes.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Petrevski-Seton is exactly the sort of player our midfield is lacking. The closest thing we've got to him is Harmes.

Your and @rjay arent the ones. I too rate the way they have gone about their list rebuild.

Their backline is is sound with Liam Jones in All Australian form and Jacob Witering finally hitting his straps.

Their midfield need a genuinde ruckman and a Clayton Oliver type to help Cripps. They have some ripper outside midfield talent in Petreski Seton, Zac Fisher and Walsh. Other then that they are set for next 10 years.

Their foward line will be formidable in next few years. Curnow will be a genuine star and McKay was someone i wanted at pick 9 instead of Weideman. He will be an absolute gun in the Tom Lynch mould.

For all the [censored] he has copped SOS has done really well with their list rebuild. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Your and @rjay arent the ones. I too rate the way they have gone about their list rebuild.

Their backline is is sound with Liam Jones in All Australian form and Jacob Witering finally hitting his straps.

Their midfield need a genuinde ruckman and a Clayton Oliver type to help Cripps. They have some ripper outside midfield talent in Petreski Seton, Zac Fisher and Walsh. Other then that they are set for next 10 years.

Their foward line will be formidable in next few years. Curnow will be a genuine star and McKay was someone i wanted at pick 9 instead of Weideman. He will be an absolute gun in the Tom Lynch mould.

For all the [censored] he has copped SOS has done really well with their list rebuild. 

I haven't rated SOS and have been vocal about it. I certainly didn't rate much of what he did at GWS with the gold he had at his disposal, but he's certainly done a good job the last 3-4 years.

I'd argue Cripps is their Oliver. I reckon we need a Walsh type to compliment our Oliver though. Maybe we'll get him with our [censored] 2019?

A nice breakdown of their outside mid talent though. It's quite Collingwood-esque (jeez, I really am going mad with all the Collingwood love at the moment). We'd kill for that. All those quick, nicely skilled back flankers that can roll through their midfield.

I'd also argue McKay feels more like a Daniher/Buddy type, but we'll see. I think Weideman will be a good/very good player, but Carlton cleaned up that 2015 draft with Curnow and McKay as mid to late first rounders. They were a bit lucky due to the depth of KPPs that year, but they managed to almost entirely sort out their spine in one draft year (Weitering at one end of the ground and the other two at the other end). It's a bit like the 2004 draft for Hawthorn with Roughead and Franklin in the top 5.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rjay said:

Fair cop. I want what you're having. I actually thought of your post after the match. I'm like the Fonz though. I was w w w wrong

• Thanks 1

By the look of it, we now have almost a quarter of the season to judge on, and we are comfortably one of if not the worst team in the comp. that's how you have to look at it.

St Kilda have looked solid although far from world beaters but they looked top 4 yesterday.

The problem and concerning thing is that we've looked worse in every game bar Sydney, than the opponent has looked good. We've played 3 good quarters out of 20. 

Wins will be far and few between this year. We will net 5-7 wins imo. A huge regression.

The club always manages to surprise me in its own self-awareness, that it consistently buckles so colossally under pressure or the weight of expectation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, A F said:

Leadership is a problem that we've tried to address without success. Years of consistent failure have left us with no senior players apart from Jones who has battled manfully for a long time with little assistance.

We brought in Lewis, he's had some good games but his leadership really has been lacking with silly reports, free kicks, 50 metre penalties etc not setting a great example. Clarko let him go for a reason and he's well and truly cooked now.

Viney was made captain too early and at the moment the co captains are starting to sound a lot like Grimes and Trengove in their media appearances...more & more excuses and talk of next week we can turn it around.

I think Viney plays too much as an individual to the detriment of himself and team to be captain. I'm concerned with his foot injury. If he has to go on a fad diet to lose weight for his foot to stand up to the demands of the game then that's not a good sign.

The midfield...Oliver is a gun, Brayshaw needs to hit targets more consistently backs his dodgy left foot too much, Viney tries to do too much, is not big enough to do it and often gets in Oliver's way. Harmes is ok but again over does it at times, he needs to learn his limitations.

We don't have anyone capable of playing wing, that's a big hole in the list. Maybe Harmes, Fritsch (looks class but needs to do a lot more) perhaps but still a long way off. There's no one at Casey that can play it at AFL level. Sorry guys but Baker's not going to make it...

In defence we miss May and Lever no doubt. Hibberd may well be on the way out, he will be 30 next season and he hasn't been kind to his body. Jetta is a similar age with injury taking its toll, plus he's not overly quick. Hore looks like he could be a player, his early games were poor but he's settled and can play a bit. May be good depth, maybe more...

Salem and Lever will be the generals but we need someone to take Hibberd's and Nev's positions...plus Lever will need to step up and not expect to just be a floater. I don't like what I've seen of Petty, unfortunately looks a bit slow for the modern game...Don't know where Sparrow will play, doesn't get a lot of the ball but could be a lock down small defender...he's got some leg speed, strength and not bad in the air. Omac, nup...Frosty, have been negative on him but his leg speed is an advantage some times.

Forward is a real problem...Tommy Mac has had his run and he's not a natural forward, Weid is a worry, we have no small forwards apart from Jeffy who is flaky as hell. I would say Trac is the only legit forward we have and he's a confidence player. Melk will give us some good games.. No one really at Casey either, we're clutching at straws with Chandler and Bedford...

The forward set up is all wrong...this is not just a list problem but game plan. It's not working.

I'm not seeing the Jennings genius by the way....

Forget Kielty and both the Smith's, again clutching at straws...plus Vanders may well be cooked.

Rambling a bit but we need some good ball users off half back and wing/mid..a real target up forward (not sure it will be Weid) , a good small forward, a couple of good defensive forwards with some pace and goal sense plus May and Lever back in the team.

We also lack real depth.

Edited by rjay
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Leadership is a problem that we've tried to address without success. Years of consistent failure have left us with no senior players apart from Jones who has battled manfully for a long time with little assistance.

We brought in Lewis, he's had some good games but his leadership really has been lacking with silly reports, free kicks, 50 metre penalties etc not setting a great example. Clarko let him go for a reason and he's well and truly cooked now.

Viney was made captain too early and at the moment the co captains are starting to sound a lot like Grimes and Trengove in their media appearances...more & more excuses and talk of next week we can turn it around.

I think Viney plays too much as an individual to the detriment of himself and team to be captain. I'm concerned with his foot injury. If he has to go on a fad diet to lose weight for his foot to stand up to the demands of the game then that's not a good sign.

The midfield...Oliver is a gun, Brayshaw needs to hit targets more consistently backs his dodgy left foot too much, Viney tries to do too much, is not big enough to do it and often gets in Oliver's way. Harmes is ok but again over does it at times, he needs to learn his limitations.

We don't have anyone capable of playing wing, that's a big hole in the list. Maybe Harmes, Fritsch (looks class but needs to do a lot more) perhaps but still a long way off. There's no one at Casey that can play it at AFL level. Sorry guys but Baker's not going to make it...

In defence we miss May and Lever no doubt. Hibberd may well be on the way out, he will be 30 next season and he hasn't been kind to his body. Jetta is a similar age with injury taking its toll, plus he's not overly quick. Hore looks like he could be a player, his early games were poor but he's settled and can play a bit. May be good depth, maybe more...

Salem and Lever will be the generals but we need someone to take Hibberd's and Nev's positions...plus Lever will need to step up and not expect to just be a floater. I don't like what I've seen of Petty, unfortunately looks a bit slow for the modern game...Don't know where Sparrow will play, doesn't get a lot of the ball but could be a lock down small defender...he's got some leg speed, strength and not bad in the air. Omac, nup...Frosty, have been negative on him but his leg speed is an advantage some times.

Forward is a real problem...Tommy Mac has had his run and he's not a natural forward, Weid is a worry, we have no small forwards apart from Jeffy who is flaky as hell. I would say Trac is the only legit forward we have and he's a confidence player. Melk will give us some good games.. No one really at Casey either, we're clutching at straws with Chandler and Bedford...

The forward set up is all wrong...this is not just a list problem but game plan. It's not working.

I'm not seeing the Jennings genius by the way....

Forget Kielty and both the Smith's, again clutching at straws...plus Vanders may well be cooked.

Rambling a bit but we need some good ball users off half back and wing/mid..a real target up forward (not sure it will be Weid) , a good small forward, a couple of good defensive forwards with some pace and goal sense plus May and Lever back in the team.

We also lack real depth.

It seems I'm not quite as pessimistic (?perhaps that's not fair?) as you seem to be. This post makes it seem like we're in more trouble than I think we are. Although, I do see what you mean about Hibberd and Jetta, and having to replace them soon. Agree completely with the forward problems.

But I reckon we've got our inside midfield set. We need to get some leg speed like Collingwood and now even Carlton have. If Lever recovers, which I think he will long term, we've got a real general there and someone to build a defence around. I'm more excited by Petty than you seem to be, but time will tell. I also think Weideman will be a good player, but there's no doubt that we have some holes at both ends of the ground and through our midfield given the lack of pace through there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rjay said:

We've never really been far ahead of them for very long, if you cast your mind back to a r22(?) game in 2016 at the MCG with finals chances on the line and their midfield rolling us. And then the following year they were quite disciplined with their press and worryingly lead us deep into the third before Lewis and Hogan threw a few punches, took them off their game before we ran away with it. We really kicked into gear in the following matches as we learnt how to beat up on weaker teams, but that standard was only shortlived it now seems.

Edited by John Demonic

On 4/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, Clintosaurus said:

The imbalance between inside power and outside run/speed is killing us. Port, Freo and Geelong fixed it in the last draft but we did nothing. 666 was always going to adjust the balance a little towards the outside part, but we continued on the inside road. Now here we are. Shithouse again.

Viney, brayshaw, harmes and oliver will be fine in the same team, set ups need to be better, oliver needs to stop the instant handball unless its attacking or to a player in space and try to get in a better position to release a team mate. We look better with fritsch on a wing, and he looks better than when in defence. But would look better with him up forward and a 2 proper outsiders.

You mention port and geelong adding dangerous speedy forwards, we've lost kent, hannan and Vandenberg. Defenders all had to pay respect to, so far this year we've been slow and straight moving forward and defenders just peel off and cover the hotspot. Clear the ball while our players are pushing up or moving into zone but easy possessions mean they get over our players or cut the angle and make us look slow.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, rjay said:

What do you think now Pates???? maybe you would like to read a bit further.

We haven't addressed the Prelim final and it shows...

By the way this is what I said about Tommy after round 1 and nothing has changed since...

"Tommy Mac worries me, he's had a good season as a forward but has been very average as of late.

History shows he had a really good season and a bit as a defender then dropped off dramatically.

Let's hope it's just an aberration and he's up and firing again soon but the trend is remarkably similar.

Is Tommy getting ahead of himself or have the opposition worked him?

A big call but maybe Tommy could do with some Casey time with his brother."

The only thing I would change in that now is it's no longer a big call...he needs to go back. He's doing exactly what he did as a defender.

With a forward line of Tommy, Weid and the Big P...we can only take 2 and P is the only one with his hand up at the moment...

The forward line is a debacle...the set up is all wrong, the starting positions are all wrong.

I know we talk about defence but F...me. No defensive pressure and believe me it's not delivery into the forward half that's at fault.

Being at the game, the set up is wrong, the forwards when they deem to move go to the wrong places and non of the keys can catch a cold.

The set ups are horrible. The quick kicks out of contest or centre clearances are predictable and easy to read. Once we have clean possession we never seem to work the angles and try to use all forwards to make defence accountable. Its always on the head to the forward straight down the line.

• Like 1

Just looking for one positive each of the team we have lost to are in the eight. Up until the bye there only two games currently you would rate us a chance Suns & Hawks. Tigers, Eagles; Giants; Crows; Pies look tough. If we beat Suns & Hawks we turn 3 win 9 losses. Scary. Imagine the weekly presser about transitioning and connecting better. At what stage is it acknowledged that every level of the club need to be reviewed. Maybe an Armageddon year is better than mediocrity. It will force hard truth to be confronted.