Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Changes vs Geelong Rd 2


McQueen
 Share


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

o mac can read the ball in flight better than frost and then isn't anything like as wasteful in possession as frost, but is physically out-bodied and has a turning circle of a mack truck

frost is a bigger body and quicker but is just not a footballer

very interesting that we've kept both when you consider cats really only have hawkins and ratugolea as a tall forward duo, then rohan as a midsize surrounded by smaller types

If Frost doesn't play on Rohan I'm not really sure why he is in the side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


54 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

1 of the tall defenders has to play forward? OMac, Frost, May is too many against their 2 talls.

They are the kings of the late change though. Does Henderson come in and where would he play?

Or Keilty?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forums are for questioning selection decisions and I question our selections for this round. 

Geelong are a different side with much better pressure in their forward half this year with Rohan, Dalhaus, Miers and Atkins. 

I'd have dropped one of Oscar or Frost but I'll say O-Mac due to match-ups. Frost (athletically speaking) is far better suited to Ratatouille and May obviously goes to Hawkins. 

I'd have given Preuss a gig to bring more physicality to the contest, a break for Max and the flexibility and threat it would allow us positionally speaking. Max would be able to sit back in the hole or go forward to create headaches for Geelong. 

If posters are correct in thinking that Frost will be rucking to give Max a break, I fear for Oscar playing on Rata who could run rings around him given his attributes. Their small forward-line concerns me also if we have three talls in defence. 

The only way I see us getting a result is if we get back to bullying the oppo at the contest and clean up our forward entries. We need to be efficient if we're any shot. 

Can't see it happening but I hope we're on. 

 

 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If posters are correct in thinking that Frost will be rucking to give Max a break, I fear for Oscar playing on Rata who could run rings around him given his attributes. Their small forward-line concerns me also if we have three talls in defence. 

I'm not sure why either are playing.

Frost has been tried in the ruck before and failed so I hope we're not going down this road again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Forums are for questioning selection decisions and I question our selections for this round. 

Geelong are a different side with much better pressure in their forward half this year with Rohan, Dalhaus, Miers and Atkins. 

I'd have dropped one of Oscar or Frost but I'll say O-Mac due to match-ups. Frost (athletically speaking) is far better suited to Ratatouille and May obviously goes to Hawkins. 

I'd have given Preuss a gig to bring more physicality to the contest, a break for Max and the flexibility and threat it would allow us positionally speaking. Max would be able to sit back in the hole or go forward to create headaches for Geelong. 

If posters are correct in thinking that Frost will be rucking to give Max a break, I fear for Oscar playing on Rata who could run rings around him given his attributes. Their small forward-line concerns me also if we have three talls in defence. 

The only way I see us getting a result is if we get back to bullying the oppo at the contest and clean up our forward entries. We need to be efficient if we're any shot. 

Can't see it happening but I hope we're on. 

 

 

Nice work Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, rjay said:

I'm not sure why either are playing.

Frost has been tried in the ruck before and failed so I hope we're not going down this road again.

That's why Preuss should be in.  Neither Oscar or Frost should be anywhere near a ruck contest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Forums are for questioning selection decisions and I question our selections for this round. 

Geelong are a different side with much better pressure in their forward half this year with Rohan, Dalhaus, Miers and Atkins. 

I'd have dropped one of Oscar or Frost but I'll say O-Mac due to match-ups. Frost (athletically speaking) is far better suited to Ratatouille and May obviously goes to Hawkins. 

While he got pantsed last time down at Geelong, I still see OMac going to Hawkins and May go to Ratatouillea, with May using his smarts to get off Rata and help OMac out. Frost will then be used as the 3rd tall, helping to kill contests with physicality and speed, rather than spoil as that's not his go, or using Frost to go with Rata if he tries to drag May away leaving OMac 1 out (we know how that will go). He can also then stand on Danger if he gets thrown forward as he's got the speed/strength to match. 

I'm not at all surprised to see all 3 in the team, and think our structure will always include 3 taller back, May and Lever and one of OMac, Frost or Petty over the long term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

nor weed or t mac

every time one of them relieved max last saturday our entire forward line structure fell down - at one stage they were kicking to spargo as a 'leading forward'

Both horrible alternatives also WWSW.

We also lack another tallish forward who is able to muscle an opponent off the ball and/or agile enough to run into an open space quickly off his opponent to provide a target with some quick burst speed taking the odd solid overhead mark (including the odd hanger).

Our two straight ahead lead up talls are pretty easy to defend against...just block their running lanes (if you get enough time and ball's coming in slow off HB or being bombed in).  The exception is a ball coming in quickly, usually straight from a centre bounce but occasionally off a fast rebound from a turnover off HB or in the middle where we have a chance to hit up one of them on the lead.  For this to be effective though we really need to seriously dominate the mid field, which we did to great effect at times last year.  This time around i fear many mid field line ups have either caught us up (maybe we've lost a bit of momentum through surgeries/late starts etc) or some may have overtaken us.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

While he got pantsed last time down at Geelong, I still see OMac going to Hawkins and May go to Ratatouillea, with May using his smarts to get off Rata and help OMac out. Frost will then be used as the 3rd tall, helping to kill contests with physicality and speed, rather than spoil as that's not his go, or using Frost to go with Rata if he tries to drag May away leaving OMac 1 out (we know how that will go). He can also then stand on Danger if he gets thrown forward as he's got the speed/strength to match. 

I'm not at all surprised to see all 3 in the team, and think our structure will always include 3 taller back, May and Lever and one of OMac, Frost or Petty over the long term.

From memory Geelong did a number on us by constantly seeking out Tomahawk as they knew he had Omac's measure.  Frost maybe went to him after he started dominating a little but the horse had bolted (correct me if  wrong on that).

If we know Omac can't handle Tomahawk why would you bother selecting him?  Surely May goes to Tommy?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

From memory Geelong did a number on us by constantly seeking out Tomahawk as they knew he had Omac's measure.  Frost maybe went to him after he started dominating a little but the horse had bolted (correct me if  wrong on that).

If we know Omac can't handle Tomahawk why would you bother selecting him?  Surely May goes to Tommy?

Come on, it wouldn't have mattered who was on Hawkins that night, he just caught fire and beat everything we threw at him, including Frost, Jetta and Hibberd (from memory he beat around 4 defenders at the same time at one point). 

OMac gets selected because there's more players than just Hawkins, plus in the final Hawkins was nearly irrelevant, he kicked 2 goals but had no influence on the game at all. Some on this site seems to only remember the game at Geelong last year without acknowledging in the other 2 games we played them in a direct match up OMac clearly won. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Come on, it wouldn't have mattered who was on Hawkins that night, he just caught fire and beat everything we threw at him, including Frost, Jetta and Hibberd (from memory he beat around 4 defenders at the same time at one point). 

OMac gets selected because there's more players than just Hawkins, plus in the final Hawkins was nearly irrelevant, he kicked 2 goals but had no influence on the game at all. Some on this site seems to only remember the game at Geelong last year without acknowledging in the other 2 games we played them in a direct match up OMac clearly won. 

Good points R&B. Sorry i just don't trust Omac at this point.  Hopefully im proven wrong tomorrow.

You said Omac might be there for others and i hope you are correct here.  I would be starting our best KPD on him from the get go which is May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

From memory Geelong did a number on us by constantly seeking out Tomahawk as they knew he had Omac's measure.  Frost maybe went to him after he started dominating a little but the horse had bolted (correct me if  wrong on that).

If we know Omac can't handle Tomahawk why would you bother selecting him?  Surely May goes to Tommy?

Well there has been a match between Geelong and Melbourne, since our loss down there last year. For those with no memory it was a Final at the MCG , we played both Frost and Omac and we beat them very well. Don't make such disparaging comments after one match ( this is not directed just to you Rusty but to all the other morons with no memory!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, rjay said:

I'm not sure why either are playing.

Frost has been tried in the ruck before and failed so I hope we're not going down this road again.

I agree. I wouldn't plat Frost in ruck. But the two are playing because they are decent players who played together in a number of our good wins last year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Up against a true ruckman, Frost would undoubtedly be found wanting.

Tomorrow, Geelong are putting up Stanley with Ratugolea as relief - neither of them are true ruckmen but both are fast/mobile.

Frost would be a fair chance to match them in short bursts when relieving Max

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mdemon said:

Up against a true ruckman, Frost would undoubtedly be found wanting.

Tomorrow, Geelong are putting up Stanley with Ratugolea as relief - neither of them are true ruckmen but both are fast/mobile.

Frost would be a fair chance to match them in short bursts when relieving Max

That might be the theory but Stanley beat Grundy last game, he's more than a capable ruck.

Then were do we leave Frost when he's not relieving Max, he can't just stay on the bench & unless he has one out of the box I couldn't see him being much use forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...