Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Geelong Rd 2

McQueen

36 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

His best mark up forward was when Oscar ran in a circle all around the ball, otherwise a lot of his better play was at ground level or when he shifted to a wing for the last 5 minutes.

Losing Vanders as a 190cm+ physical wingmen who could hurt him and defend him was a loss. Same with Kade Kolo who would be a decent wing match up as well.

Otherwise the way Port were moving the ball at least one of their forwards was going to do damage. The rucks and Marshall did pretty much nothing, so not surprised it was Westhoff.

In terms of a long term plan Lever is much better as a 3rd tall and combined with big body midfielders we can finally counter Westhoff, but it's a matter of finding that 2nd genuine stopping key defender. 

Respect your opinion DS but the 5 goals are on the board and neither Oscar or Frosty succeeded and he ran solo IMO and hebce the result not fir the first time  s us .

Ins.  Preuss. Stretch.  May. 

Outs  Wagner  Hore Frost

kk not quite ready

Jetta. Omcd.  Hibberd

Salem.  May. Hunt  

Stretch.  Harmes. Fritsch 

Petracca. Tmcd. Melksham 

Spargo. Weideman.  Anb

Gawn.  Brayshaw. Oliver. 

Jones. Preuss. Sparrow  Spargo 

Emerg   Wagner Frost  Hore 

Injured   Jkh Lever Hannan TSmith JSmith Lewis Vdberg Garlett Walker Nietscke 

Casey

Lockhart. Petty. Hore. 

Munro*  Frost  J Wagner 

Baker  Maynard  KK 

Jordan   Keilty    Mitch Lewis*

Bedford  Bradke Chandler

buxton-Wales*    Gent*    C Wagner 

int. Vella* Tynan*White*Freeman*

emerg. mccaffrey* hutchins* collis *

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ins.  Preuss. Stretch.  May. 

Outs  Wagner  Hore Frost

kk not quite ready

Jetta. Omcd.  Hibberd

Salem.  May. Hunt  

Stretch.  Harmes. Fritsch 

Petracca. Tmcd. Melksham 

Spargo. Weideman.  Anb

Gawn.  Brayshaw. Oliver. 

Jones. Preuss. Sparrow  Spargo 

Emerg   Wagner Frost  Hore 

Injured   Jkh Lever Hannan TSmith JSmith Lewis Vdberg Garlett Walker Nietscke 

Casey

Lockhart. Petty. Hore. 

Munro*  Frost  J Wagner 

Baker  Maynard  KK 

Jordan   Keilty    Mitch Lewis*

Bedford  Bradke Chandler

buxton-Wales*    Gent*    C Wagner 

int. Vella* Tynan*White*Freeman*

emerg. mccaffrey* hutchins* collis *

Salem may hunt Stretch but Harmes Fritsch...

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Your defence of OMac is truly pathetic. He is a terrible footballer with no attributes other than being tall.

It must drive you insane that goody agrees with my assessment not yours. Even more insane that he picks omac each week.  And will continue to do so. 

How on earth is this bloke a senior coach you must think. I mean after all he continues to pick a player  in a top 4 AFL team simply beca8he is tall. Truly bixxare. And to think they saw fit to extend  his contract for another 3 years. You must have wept when you heard that. 

So look after yourself jnr. Thursday night's this season will be difficult for you. Perhaps you can see if rather than grumble on dl about omacs precence in rge side you can get an audience with goody and make your case.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Lever was playing was playing at CHB for us before he went down, with O Mac at FB.   He was just settling in and was brilliant for us in his last full game against the Crows before doing his knee next game.

May and Lever will be our two key defenders, and O Mac should be out of the team.

Lever will replace hore

36 minutes ago, binman said:

It must drive you insane that goody agrees with my assessment not yours. Even more insane that he picks omac each week.  And will continue to do so. 

How on earth is this bloke a senior coach you must think. I mean after all he continues to pick a player  in a top 4 AFL team simply beca8he is tall. Truly bixxare. And to think they saw fit to extend  his contract for another 3 years. You must have wept when you heard that. 

So look after yourself jnr. Thursday night's this season will be difficult for you. Perhaps you can see if rather than grumble on dl about omacs precence in rge side you can get an audience with goody and make your case.

I don't see why people need to label other people's support, or non support, of our players as 'pathetic'.  I also don't see why people need to label footballers as 'terrible'.  Clearly, they have skills that have allowed them to make it to this level.  If it eventuates that they aren't up to it, then that's okay.  They're not 'pathetic' or 'terrible'.  They just didn't make it at this level.

While I believe that O Mac will eventually be pushed out of the side, I think it will be more to do with how we want to play as a side, and the fact that Jetta or Hibberd may play that third tall role beside May and Lever.  It's not a knock on O Mac, just the way I see it.

• Like 1

Omac will most likely be the second tall defender with Lever as the third tall/intercept marker, and May full back.

As far as changes go I think it will be :

In KK , Stretch ,May

Out Hore, Frost , Spargo

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, binman said:

This. Insane not in an upset way but moreso a perplexed one. I respect Goody, but not Omac. Goody respects Omac, but not me. It's crazy confusing. So much so that it even has me reaching for wild conspiracy theories to try and make sense of it all. Could Omac really be the love-child of Simon Goodwin and the former FHM model Nicky Visser? Do the maths and it all adds up.

image.jpeg.d8134ff66cdbd6ffc5bfb17582f8ed70.jpeg

Edited by Skuit
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Omac will most likely be the second tall defender with Lever as the third tall/intercept marker, and May full back.

As far as changes go I think it will be :

In KK , Stretch ,May

Out Hore, Frost , Spargo

I know it's not really the thread for it, but I'll be interested to see what Goodwin decides to do once Lever is ready to return.  Last year, when we had Lever, Frost and O Mac available, we only played Lever and Oscar around a mixture of Hibberd, Jetta, Salem, Lewis and Vince.  Frost was fully fit, yet he was stuck at Casey.  There is a big part of me that thinks we may do the same again and just got with May and Lever as our key backs (May to take the best forward, Lever the next best) with guys like Hibberd and Jetta to potentially take the third tall and their best small forward.  It worked pretty well for us last year.

That's just my take, though.  That could easily change, but past selection hints otherwise.

• Like 2

Lever was at his best when allowed to play the 3rd man role to impact the contest or intercept. 

Lever struggled when required to man up on a key forward and it hurt our defence.  It does depend on the other team.

Eg.  V Crows last year, Omcd took Walker and Vince actually took their roving CHF Lynch. Lever was free and played his best game.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Demonic said:

This is an interesting conversation especially in the context of our own forward line not currently playing a third tall and stretching defenses.

It makes me wonder, if we had played three tall forwards, whether Westhoff would have played in Port's backline. That would have been another way to stop him kicking 5 goals. 

• Like 1

I can't see Viney turning it around one week. Needs to play at Casey to regain fitness rather than sit on the bench at Geelong. Stretch in to replace him for a week, unless they decide to run with KK.

Out: Frost, Viney

In: May, Stretch (KK)

In two weeks bring in Viney and KK

• Like 1

I know this takes our two fastest players out of the team but I don't think it's really a priority considering we are too slow overall as a team this year. I think the idea is to control the contest and not let other teams get on the outside. It's going to be do or die a bit this year.

Out: Hunt, Frost, Wagner

In: Wagner/Lewis, May, Stretch

I agree with others if Viney isn't fit bringing in Stretch makes sense. The problem with Viney is still that he doesn't play other positions effectively. I noticed on the weekend that Oliver either didn't spend or hardly spent time in the forward line. This might have been because Viney had to rest more so Oliver had to play more in the middle but its still a concern with Viney especially if he can't rest in the forward line for example.

Sounds like Lewis might be available but if not I think Goodwin likes Wagner. At his best he competes well in the air for his size and has decent foot skills. When he plays with intensity I think he can be very serviceable across half back. He frees up Jetta and Hibberd to play other roles and be more attacking because he can play on third talls or smalls.

I'd like to see KK and Preuss come in but I think/hope we've learnt our lesson from last week bringing players back that might be underdone. Especially early in the season it just can't happen. When the fatigue kicks in for that last quarter you need your fittest players.

Edited by Yung Blood

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

I know it's not really the thread for it, but I'll be interested to see what Goodwin decides to do once Lever is ready to return.  Last year, when we had Lever, Frost and O Mac available, we only played Lever and Oscar around a mixture of Hibberd, Jetta, Salem, Lewis and Vince.  Frost was fully fit, yet he was stuck at Casey.  There is a big part of me that thinks we may do the same again and just got with May and Lever as our key backs (May to take the best forward, Lever the next best) with guys like Hibberd and Jetta to potentially take the third tall and their best small forward.  It worked pretty well for us last year.

That's just my take, though.  That could easily change, but past selection hints otherwise.

May himself said he played best when he had Rory Thompson in the team at the suns, allowing him to play CHB knowing that there was a constant tall staying back deep. Our run of 6 wins last year was when OMac was that last line anchor, and Lever finally got going having the confidence to come across and intercept/leave his man. I feel both Lever and May will come into the team with OMac still there, as they'll play better with that goalkeeper type position. OMac will in turn be much better when just doing that role, Frost has some great attributes (speed and strength) but at them moment can't read the play well enough to try a lot of the things he does, which he might be able to do with May there, but is causing a lot of issues at the moment. I think both could stay when May is in, but Frost is more likely to go when Lever is ready.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t omit Hunt. To me it looked like Hunt was designated a negating role on Motlop in the back half and did well in that regard. I could be wrong, but he went to Motlop numerous times whereas our other defenders seemed to be chasing the nearest Port forward. 

We all long for Hunt to show the dash of 2016-17 but maybe he was instructed to play a defensive role last Saturday. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skuit said:

This. Insane not in an upset way but moreso a perplexed one. I respect Goody, but not Omac. Goody respects Omac, but not me. It's crazy confusing. So much so that it even has me reaching for wild conspiracy theories to try and make sense of it all. Could Omac really be the love-child of Simon Goodwin and the former FHM model Nicky Visser? Do the maths and it all adds up.

image.jpeg.d8134ff66cdbd6ffc5bfb17582f8ed70.jpeg

Vitally unbearable leakage, game by game  - not a good defender - easy to man-up on with talls or smalls - terribly slow and not quick on reading the play - easily replaceable with a 'goer' - these are the terms that a few of us hold for OMac, who is not at the standard we require in the KPD role. A ransom that Goody continues to pay to maintain the enthusiasm and availability of his skilled and determined brother, Tom. But he does kick well on the extremely rare occasion in which he is given a handball from a teammate - in the light of the fact that he almost never wins the ball himself, anyway.

He would be of greater value to the whole Club if he played his football with Casey very regularly. It is not a pleasant task to state these descriptions and impressions of a player with the MFC; however, time and again, his selection mystifies and mere tolerance of such selection is not acceptable with the frequency and implications of his onfield errors. Worse still, other defenders and talls are rallied away from their direct opponents game by game  where their core roles are/become sacrificed to assist and unnecessarily overcome the OMac conundrum, in his loose and weakening functionality and thus, weakening the whole for some respite and recuperation of this protected species. Such a waste of team energy and planning. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

I think O Mac will always be preferred to Frost because he can actually read the ball in flight and then dispose of it cleanly when it’s in his possession

Frost is an honest battler who is terrible under a high ball and has some of the worst kicking skills in the competition

He’s a good honest battler, but a liability when under pressure

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

May himself said he played best when he had Rory Thompson in the team at the suns, allowing him to play CHB knowing that there was a constant tall staying back deep. Our run of 6 wins last year was when OMac was that last line anchor, and Lever finally got going having the confidence to come across and intercept/leave his man. I feel both Lever and May will come into the team with OMac still there, as they'll play better with that goalkeeper type position. OMac will in turn be much better when just doing that role, Frost has some great attributes (speed and strength) but at them moment can't read the play well enough to try a lot of the things he does, which he might be able to do with May there, but is causing a lot of issues at the moment. I think both could stay when May is in, but Frost is more likely to go when Lever is ready.

So often, Frost realises that he is the only defender and the clearance is 'up to him, and him alone. He is seldom 'backed-up', he is a hunter in the desert of defensive support. Who wouldn't panic, at times? 

• Like 2

Seems to me we have 3 problems

1. Too many players back after injury still carrying after effects combined  with lack of game time

2. Too small Jetta, Harmes, Jones, Viney, Hunt, Spargo, Salem, Neale Bullen, Sparrow, Lewis and Wagner from last week are all under 185cm

3. Too slow.  Only Frost and Hunt have short burst pace.

Until we get better players back from injury and game time into those returning we need to look at pace and height.  The only options are May, Preuss, Keilty, Kolodjashnij, Baker and Garlett

I'd take Kolodjashnij Baker Preuss and May and lose Hore, Neale Bullen, Sparrow and Viney(he's obviously carrying something).

Did anyone else see Oliver vomiting down on one kneee after the half time break?   I wonder if a virus has gone through the team.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, stinga said:

Seems to me we have 3 problems

1. Too many players back after injury still carrying after effects combined  with lack of game time

2. Too small Jetta, Harmes, Jones, Viney, Hunt, Spargo, Salem, Neale Bullen, Sparrow, Lewis and Wagner from last week are all under 185cm

3. Too slow.  Only Frost and Hunt have short burst pace.

Harmes is 186cm as is Lewis, Hunt is 187cm. Our problem wasn’t we were too small, our problem is we played crap. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2019 at 7:52 AM, Wiseblood said:

It is a pretty good take, Wiseblood, with the return of Lever and the addition of May...predictably, I'd also go for Frosty instead of OMac so that the 'big-eared one' can ginger up his disposals in those great clearance runs, over time. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, poita said:

In: May, Stretch, Lewis (if fit), Preuss/Keilty

Out: Frost, Spargo, Hore, Viney (inj)

As mentioned, Lewis is not an option. I'd take Keilty before Preuss. Neither seem to get many possessions, but I thought Keilty's ruck performance against the Lions was better than Preuss's the previous week. Keilty also appears a tad more mobile. If KK is fit I'd include him. It's a long but narrow ground, and I think burst speed is required rather than endurance.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, Wiseblood said:

It's not a knock on O Mac, just the way I see it.

Wiseblood, Wiseblood, Wiseblood.... 

That makes absolutely no sense. 

If he were pushed out because of what you stated, it would most certainly be a knock on him. It would ultimately mean that he doesn't provide us anything that we don't already have. (I believe that he is already at that stage and our recruiting of both May and Lever is evidence of that, regardless of the fact that he keeps playing). 

Oscar should never have been our number one or two key defender. I have called him and the club out for years about this and hopefully by mid year we will either see him playing a role that suits his play style or he'll be out of the team. 

Physically, it looks like he's barely changed since year one. Am I wrong? He is slow, his reactions are slow, he lacks intensity and his defensive play is incredibly inconsistent. His only hope is to play a really defined and minimal role as a third tall defender. Play lock down on the third best or slowest oppo tall forward and make sure he gets a fist on the ball. This will allow May and Lever to do what they do best which is both intercept and kill contests.

It means players like 180 cm tall Neville Jetta and medium defenders like Hibbo won't feel as if they need to fly up for a contest in the fear that Oscar or Frost are going to miss-judge a spoiling attempt etc. I mean, a scenario like that tells me everything I need to know. When you have your smalls going up because of a lack of trust in their tall defending team-mates. 

May and Lever need to play asap and as many games together as they can. I've conceded that we're still a year or so off because of how young we are. That's not to say we can't do damage this year. But our core are still a bit off prime years.