Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Geelong Rd 2

McQueen

After reading Drunkin 's report I have settled on 3 changes. Weid and Spargo very lucky.

INS: MAY, KOLODJASHNIJ, PETTY

OUTS: O.MCDONALD, FROST, HORE

EMERG: STRETCH, BAKER, KEILTY, PREUSS

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

After reading Drunkin 's report I have settled on 3 changes. Weid and Spargo very lucky.

INS: MAY, KOLODJASHNIJ, PETTY

OUTS: O.MCDONALD, FROST, HORE

EMERG: STRETCH, BAKER, KEILTY, PREUSS

They are not going to drop those 3 players all at the same time, if you think that the back six were solely responsible for saturday's  loss you are sadly mistaken.

• Like 5

The changes we make may end up being minimal.  Obviously, Steven May comes into the side for either Frost or Oscar, but outside of that I don't see many changes being made.  There were a number of players who didn't cover themselves in glory, but who is really ready to go at Casey?

KK needs at least another week to build his match fitness you would say, while someone like Stretch might get a look in, although seeing him not named as an emergency gives us an idea of where he sits at the minute.  Lewis probably isn't ready to go, and with Garlett, Hannan, AVB and J Smith still on the sidelines, I don't see us doing much else.

The other possibility is Preuss.  Do we give him a run, or do we back in Max to respond and for the Weid to give us a little more when he goes in there?  For me, it's:

In:  May

Out:  Frost

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The changes we make may end up being minimal.  Obviously, Steven May comes into the side for either Frost or Oscar, but outside of that I don't see many changes being made.  There were a number of players who didn't cover themselves in glory, but who is really ready to go at Casey?

KK needs at least another week to build his match fitness you would say, while someone like Stretch might get a look in, although seeing him not named as an emergency gives us an idea of where he sits at the minute.  Lewis probably isn't ready to go, and with Garlett, Hannan, AVB and J Smith still on the sidelines, I don't see us doing much else.

The other possibility is Preuss.  Do we give him a run, or do we back in Max to respond and for the Weid to give us a little more when he goes in there?  For me, it's:

In:  May

Out:  Frost

I agree in terms of predictions. But as to your who is ready at Casey question, it feels like Keilty hasn't missed a beat in a long while. Behind Petty last year (when Petty proved to be far from ready) and behind Hore this year - but consistently delivers in the VFL when he doesn't have a head-cold and looked up to it the JLT. Not sure what the kid is supposed to do? He has to be getting close.

Hate to say it but I think Viney needs to be rested:  he played only about 2 1/2 quarters, when he tried to run it was barely trotting pace and when on field he didn't really impact the game.  He not only looked underdone, he looked injured.

We had 6-7 players whose on field time was managed down to about 3 quarters (surprisingly one of those was Jetta, hope he is ok) which puts enormous pressure on those that stay on longer than they should.  imv there is a limit to how many players in need of managed game time we take in.

Max needs help.  If Preuss plays as Goodwin suggested, it seems unlikely he can play 4 quarters (based on JLT) so who does he displace?  That depends if he goes forward or back when not in the ruck as we can't afford to have him on the bench for long stretches, especially if other players need managed game time. 

Based on club report Lewis' omission was precautionary rather than an injury so wouldn't be surprised to see him in.

In:  May, Lewis, Preuss (as Goodwin signalled)

Out:  Frost, Hore (sadly as I don't like to see players given only one game), Viney

and, there would need to be some re-balancing in positions as Preuss/Vine aren't like-for-like

The team needs time to settle and develop cohesion so any other changes will need to wait.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skuit said:

I agree in terms of predictions. But as to your who is ready at Casey question, it feels like Keilty hasn't missed a beat in a long while. Behind Petty last year (when Petty proved to be far from ready) and behind Hore this year - but consistently delivers in the VFL when he doesn't have a head-cold and looked up to it the JLT. Not sure what the kid is supposed to do? He has to be getting close.

Absolutely.  He hasn't put a foot wrong.  But where does he play?  It sounds as though he has been playing the forward/ruck role, and at the minute I can't see is dropping Tom or Weid, and you would think Preuss would get first crack if they went for another tall to play that role.  I know some won't agree with that, but I just think it's the way it is.

However, I'm pleased with his progress and I think he will at least get a crack in the seniors at some stage this year.

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Hate to say it but I think Viney needs to be rested:  he played only about 2 1/2 quarters, when he tried to run it was barely trotting pace and when on field he didn't really impact the game.  He not only looked underdone, he looked injured.

If it's anyone else, then I agree.  But he's the captain.  I can't see them dropping him from the side.  I get your point, though, and I think they may have rushed him back a few weeks too soon.  

It's too late to change it, though.  It just won't happen.

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

If it's anyone else, then I agree.  But he's the captain.  I can't see them dropping him from the side.  I get your point, though, and I think they may have rushed him back a few weeks too soon.  

It certainly looked that way.  Captain or not it hurts the team to have someone who plays 2 1/2 quarters with little impact.  And, we do have another captain and a few vice captains on the field...

We effectively played one short vs Port and it took its toll on the rest of the team.

It may not happen but we have paid the price in 2017 and 2018 of bringing Viney back early.  Hopefully, we don't do it again this year.  We showed for most of last year we can win without him and kept him to be cherry ripe for the finals which really worked for us and him.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Based on club report Lewis' omission was precautionary rather than an injury so wouldn't be surprised to see him in.

Hopefully it was precautionary LH, although the AFL site is reporting he will miss at least two more weeks with the hamstring injury.

Regardless what people think of Lewis, he would have been handy on the weekend with his voice. One captain spent a substantial amount of time on the bench and a vice-captain was getting pounded behind the play.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Sorry fitness Gurus and Coach should make the tough decision It can be made if there is a will to do it !0

Just now, 58er said:

Sorry fitness Gurus and Coach should make the tough decision It can be made if there is a will to do it !0

Of course they make that decision, Einstein.  It's just my opinion, which is that Viney won't be dropped, even though I agree with what LH said in terms of his fitness.  Being captain changes that. 

13 hours ago, Skuit said:

Frost is a headless chock no doubt. But for those citing the holding the ball and subsequent 50m incident - the game was slipping away, no one was spreading, and Sam was trying to do something, anything, using his primary weapon which I'm sure the coaches would encourage him to use. The 50m penalty was frustration.

Unfortunately, Sam isn't the brightest of footballers, but I don't see anywhere near that level of interest from Omac, who seems mostly like he just wants to go unnoticed. His inability or lack of nous to kill the ball in dangerous situations is astonishing. I'm no psychologist, but it's as if he lacks the competitiveness or confidence to feel shame when his opposition number scores.

I think Frost will be better than Omac in the secondary role alongside May. Over to you Binman.

Thus;

OUT: Omac/Hoare (and Spargo)

IN: May/Keilty (for another small forward option, whoever)

Note: I'm not blaming the defenders for the loss. The output from our entire midfield brigade was down a mile. Simply can't win games when that's the case. In fact, we did well to stay so close.

Omac is one of the most lackadaisical players I have ever seen.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Of course they make that decision, Einstein.  It's just my opinion, which is that Viney won't be dropped, even though I agree with what LH said in terms of his fitness.  Being captain changes that. 

Surely WB it's easier to drop Vines as he is a co Captain only with Nathan still in team.

sitting on the bench for a long period helps no one really and no conditioning on ground or form is gained and if it's injury the team is one down for extended period. Reckon it's a team thing snd we have had Jack missing over last 2 years esp. and win without him. 

Harmes should  Have tagged Rockliff who was in top form dishing out to faster runners etc.

Its What is best overall fir team and Goody etc. need to take the hard decision to get Jack  back in full fitness and firing.

This  surely isn't going to be the hardest decision in 4 years if Goody stays the distance. Make it and move on or compromise will/may muddy waters now and in the future.0

I'd love nothing more than to see oscar McDonald dropped. But he is goodwin's love child.

so with that in mind I think it will be:

out: frost

in: may

I agree with the fact that viney looked injured and jones was awful but I'll back them in.

We looked slow because we didnt have the ball.  ball movement is what makes teams look fast. so we need to show up with intensity, some level of basic skills and we'll automatically improve

port players that aren't overly quick:

rockliff, boak, Ebert, Houston, Clurey Marshall, Powell pepper

port players that are: motlop butters gray duursma and amon

so we're not actually that slow but we certainly look it when we dont have possession.

Edited by Dr.D
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, titan_uranus said:

Spargo deseves to be dropped but who replaces him

Possibly Stretch or Chandler/Petty.

• Like 1

Our defenders weren't good on Saturday, but they weren't the major problem. The lack of forward and midfield pressure was where we came undone. The only forwards who put any pressure on at all were Melksham, ANB (but not without his usual fumbles and poor shots at goal) and, to an extent, Spargo. Only three midfielders did their job (Harmes, Brayshaw and Oliver).Which means all of Jones, Fritsch, Viney, Gawn, Wagner, Petracca, T McDonald and Weideman were somewhere between diabolical and ordinary. I've left Sparrow out of that group because for a first gamer, he was OK. 

Changing defenders won't do much if we don't worry more about the forwards and midfield. It doesn't necessarily mean wholesale changes, but it's either a question of fitness or psychological. Goodwin's job is to find out which and act accordingly.

I'd bring in May. But it's not necessarily a defender that goes out. Hunt could move forward or to the wing and one of Wagner or Sparrow might go out.

And if Viney is truly not fit, rather than just rusty, he needs to go out until he's truly ready. Stretch, even with his weaknesses, would be a better proposition than an unfit Viney.

In: May, Stretch

Out: Wagner, Viney (inj...code for not fully fit) 

One change - May in for Frost

Backline to be: O. McDonald, May, Hibberd, Jetta, Salem & Hunt

Hore on bench (don't rate this bloke at all)

Lewis to come in for Hore if fit 

28 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Possibly Stretch or Chandler/Petty.

Chandler is on the rookie list, so he would need to be upgraded.  It sounds like he has some skills but isn't ready for AFL footy.  Stretch and Petty play different positions.

What it shows is that we aren't really in the position to make big changes at the moment.  Would Chandler really be a better option than Spargo?  Probably not.  Would AVB or Joel Smith be a better option?  Of course, but they're out, so it leaves us without too many troops waiting in the wings.

19 minutes ago, Jones said:

At this point in time, I'm inclined to agree up to a point.

I put the question on the match day thread as to why people thought he was getting a game over others like Petty and the only thing anyone could come back with was to quote his reputation as an experienced intercept marker.

I haven't been impressed by this guy's JLT or senior match day performances to date at all.  His kicking is only average.

Is he considered a better stopper that Petty at this point?

I'm not making my final judgments on Hore any time soon, as I think he and the team probably need more time to find a bit more form and for me I'd be happy for that to be at Casey at this point for this guy.  But that then poses the propersition that it's not going to get any easier for him to get a senior game with May and sooner or later Lever and/or Lewis comming back into the side.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 5:22 PM, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Jetta  May  Hibberd
HB: Hunt  Petty  Salem
C;  Jones  Oliver  Fritsch
HF: Spargo  T Mc  Petracca
FF: Melksham  Weid  Lockhart
Foll: Gawn Oliver  Harmes
Int:  J. Wagner,  C. Wagner,  Viney, Sparrow

Out: Oscar, Frost, Hore, ANB
In: May, Petty, J Wagner, Lockhart

The 3 taller defenders were all absolute witches hats. Get rid of them. Hopeless. I don't want to bring in J Wagner but he has to be better than Hore and I don't think KK is ready.

Not too much to be done with the midfield except hope they improve. Viney should find match fitness. Jones was actually playing ok until his awful last quarter. Maybe KK comes in here or maybe Oskar Baker but for now leave as is.

Forward line: tempted to overhaul with Keilty or Preuss for Weid as well as making multiple changes to the smalls. But I'd back Weid in rather than go with an underdone Preuss. ANB has to go though, complete liability who doesn't want to win the ball. C. Wagner and Sparrow both looked equally effective (or ineffective) as pressure forwards, keep them in and try either Lockhart or Chandler. Someone with some skill and craft.

Please help me out DeeSpencer. I was never good at math, but four players came out of your side and four players came in. Yet I cannot find young Brayshaw. Please explain this anomaly before I organize a search and rescue of the Bermuda Triangle for the poor boy.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jones said:

BTW though, I think naming a guy on the bench is practically meaningless these days.  They are either named in the side or they aren't. 

At most it sends a subtle message that your next move is out of the team, but there are better ways to do that like just a direct conversation between the player and coach, but I'm not sure threatening players that are down on confidence and trying to establish themselves is the right move for a coach and I couldn't see Goody doing this to be honest.

Goodwin indicated that he thought Sparrow was one of the better players on the ground for our team, it's unlikely he'll be dropped if Lewis stays out (which is likely if he has a hammy issue) 

May will come straight in for Frost or Hore you would think, and unless Goody wants to provide better support for Max, I can't see too much beyond bringing May into the team. 

15 hours ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Doesn’t sound like many impressed in the practice match. Can’t undertand how people would suggest Petty is ready again.. he’s still 12 months off.

Keilty is one I would consider if it’s going to be dry.

In: May, Keilty

Out: Hore, Oscar

———

FB: Jetta - May (Hawkins) - Hibberd

HF: Salem - Frost (Rata)  - Hunt

C : Fristch - Oliver - Jones

HF: Trac - Weid - Melk

FF: Spargo - T-Mac - Keilty

R: Gawn - Brayshaw - Harmes (Danger)

I: Viney (Selwood) - ANB - Wagner - Sparrow 

Not sure where your info comes from Gawn, but a mates son (who is a mad demon fan) went out to Casey yesterday & said that the Casey boys, especially the mids, were fantastic. 

He said Preuss & Keilty were the dominant big men on the ground & Stretch, playing as an inside mid was the dominant mid fielder with 25 -30 touches.

He also said that Maynard & Wagner were solid & good contributors.

Apparently is was a great win as the Casey boys were kicking into the wind in the last quarter......& he was very complimentary of Jade Rawlings too!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Chandler is on the rookie list, so he would need to be upgraded.  It sounds like he has some skills but isn't ready for AFL footy.  Stretch and Petty play different positions.

What it shows is that we aren't really in the position to make big changes at the moment.  Would Chandler really be a better option than Spargo?  Probably not.  Would AVB or Joel Smith be a better option?  Of course, but they're out, so it leaves us without too many troops waiting in the wings.

You're correct....just tossing around options, uncertainties....

• Like 1