Jump to content

Docs Demons

Training - Thursday 28th February, 2019

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Tmac did a presser after training and rattled off a list of senior players who won't play.  Can't remember them, but no surprises from memory. I tried to do bunny ears on him while the cameras were going, but got slammed into a tree by Todd Viney. He's still got the mongrel instinct! I'm still lucky to have my jaw intact

He said Viney, Melksham and May won’t play this week. Would want to get a hit out JLT 2. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Don Bradman used to practice everyday hitting with a stump and a golf ball.

Most of the experts will say that a kicking style is set in concrete by the time the kids are 14 or 15, so good on Goody for identifying Christians kicking issues & secondly, actually trying to rectify them. This will more than likely emphasize the concentration side of the craft rather that changing his style.....Good work!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm glad Binman isn't coach, he would've called training off coz it was too hot. Some of you guys were so precious in the JLT thread saying the richmond game should be rescheduled etc. Ridiculous! You asked for proof and whilst its not 40 (just a few degrees off) not only was training not earlier (in fact later) they weren't even doing a light session. 

We should have had a bet!

Which you would have lost by the way. 

You wrote that 'They train when its 40 degrees'

I wrote  'No they don't. Ever.'

It did not get over 35 when they were training. There is a very, very big difference between 35 and 40 degrees. 5 degrees to be exact. 

As i wrote previously if you can show me some evidence of the dees training in 40 degree heat i will be most impressed - not to mention very surprised. 

I will acknowledge i'm surprised they didn't move the training earlier (though i only said if the temp is mid 30s they often - not always - make training earlier).  Perhaps they were preparing them for Shep.

Edited by binman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Thought this was an interesting one. At the end of the session,  Trac and Goody did one-on-one kicking of a tennis ball.

A mate of mine leads a large group of Auskick kids at Arden St. He gets them to do this each week for the whole year to improve their ball drop, particulary following the ball down with their hand, position of head over the ball, height of ball drop and placement of ball on the top of the foot. Obviously a tennis ball has less forgiveness than a footy. A couple of mm either side and the tennis ball is sprayed away from the target.

Now I'm a keen fan of Tracc, but I've always had questions over the height of his ball drop and the position of the ball at point of impact with his foot.  When it works for him it looks sublime, but that's not always the case. All players can improve and I reckon Goody has taken a personal interest in improving Tracc's kicking action.

A big tick from me.

PS. I might add that Goody got it right more times than Tracc 

20190228_131956.jpg

We do forget that Goody was a bloody fantastic footballer!

If he had played for a big Victorian club his name would be right up there with the Buckleys and Hirds of the games.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok....so when does the team sheet come out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Thought this was an interesting one. At the end of the session,  Trac and Goody did one-on-one kicking of a tennis ball.

A mate of mine leads a large group of Auskick kids at Arden St. He gets them to do this each week for the whole year to improve their ball drop, particulary following the ball down with their hand, position of head over the ball, height of ball drop and placement of ball on the top of the foot. Obviously a tennis ball has less forgiveness than a footy. A couple of mm either side and the tennis ball is sprayed away from the target.

Now I'm a keen fan of Tracc, but I've always had questions over the height of his ball drop and the position of the ball at point of impact with his foot.  When it works for him it looks sublime, but that's not always the case. All players can improve and I reckon Goody has taken a personal interest in improving Tracc's kicking action.

A big tick from me.

PS. I might add that Goody got it right more times than Tracc 

20190228_131956.jpg

Yeah this is nice, but why is it happening now and not since Dec 2014? And why the senior coach just with one player and not a dedicated kicking coach with every player? Filmed, broken down, reviewed, repeated. 

I’m a broken record on this topic but anyway, it’s a good sign they’ve recognized a problem, hopefully they get some improvement. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Thought this was an interesting one. At the end of the session,  Trac and Goody did one-on-one kicking of a tennis ball.

A mate of mine leads a large group of Auskick kids at Arden St. He gets them to do this each week for the whole year to improve their ball drop, particulary following the ball down with their hand, position of head over the ball, height of ball drop and placement of ball on the top of the foot. Obviously a tennis ball has less forgiveness than a footy. A couple of mm either side and the tennis ball is sprayed away from the target.

Now I'm a keen fan of Tracc, but I've always had questions over the height of his ball drop and the position of the ball at point of impact with his foot.  When it works for him it looks sublime, but that's not always the case. All players can improve and I reckon Goody has taken a personal interest in improving Tracc's kicking action.

A big tick from me.

PS. I might add that Goody got it right more times than Tracc 

20190228_131956.jpg

I like this a lot....a whole lot!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonland said:

I'll blame @Bitter but optimistic

Great reporting. Thank you.

People were speculating that we wouldn't be taking a strong team to Shepparton. Did you get that impression?

With Tommy Mc's answers and a couple of questions I asked, depends on your definition of strong, as I stated before, expect him to want to look at every player on the list who is fit and ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

I thought it was common knowledge that KK would struggle to make Round 1. I think we might even see Lever before KK.

On the Melbourne website it has KK joining the VFL team in round 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

On the Melbourne website it has KK joining the VFL team in round 1.

The 1st Round of the VFL fixture is 7th April.  That's equivalent to Round 3 in the AFL.  Presumably KK needs a couple of weeks in the 2s, we're potentially looking at a recall, form permitting, of around Round 5, and even then he's not a walk-up start.

If Lever is back around Round 8-10, then what Andy said isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

With Tommy Mc's answers and a couple of questions I asked, depends on your definition of strong, as I stated before, expect him to want to look at every player on the list who is fit and ready

Saty, I apologise for my earlier post.  I read it that you were expecting Goodwin to be playing games, and possibly picking a smoky for Round 1 based on what he saw in the JLT games.

Reality is, he's got close to a full list, but match fitness is going to be against a fair few of them.  He'll need to play as many players as possible over the next 2 weeks to see who will be cherry ripe to go Round 1.

Not an ideal situation to be in, but we work with it, and hope we pick up a few wins in the first 4-5 weeks of the season, so that we are prepared for a season that extends deep in to September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Chazz said:

The 1st Round of the VFL fixture is 7th April.  That's equivalent to Round 3 in the AFL.  Presumably KK needs a couple of weeks in the 2s, we're potentially looking at a recall, form permitting, of around Round 5, and even then he's not a walk-up start.

If Lever is back around Round 8-10, then what Andy said isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Is that what theyre saying? I guess he did it in round 7 wasnt it? So its exactly 12m then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDonald made it clear that there were some ''rehab guys'' that he named who obviously wouldn't play on Sunday, plus he said there were a few guys who've done everything who'll be ''rested''.

I'm expecting quite a few of the (perceived) best 22 won't be playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Is that what theyre saying? I guess he did it in round 7 wasnt it? So its exactly 12m then.

I'm pretty sure I hear Goody say that somewhere - maybe the interview on SEN the other day?

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

McDonald made it clear that there were some ''rehab guys'' that he named who obviously wouldn't play on Sunday, plus he said there were a few guys who've done everything who'll be ''rested''.

I'm expecting quite a few of the (perceived) best 22 won't be playing.

I would expect our JLT 2 team to be a significantly stronger, albeit slightly underdone side from JLT1.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

McDonald made it clear that there were some ''rehab guys'' that he named who obviously wouldn't play on Sunday, plus he said there were a few guys who've done everything who'll be ''rested''.

I'm expecting quite a few of the (perceived) best 22 won't be playing.

Lets hope so.

Would be happy to see the big Prussian getting a hit out, rest Max, and even Tom. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the trek from The Manor to have a squiz at training. The blustery wind wasn't ideal and , unfortunately putting up with Moonie's bluster was less so.

Some observations

I wanted to have a look at KK but he was only doing a bit of running and some short kicking drills with Bedford and Chandler. I think he said he was about 6 weeks away from being right but I may have misheard that.

May Viney and Hannan were also on light duties but May joined in some drills later. He didn't look troubled but didn't seem overly switched on either.

I'm not a JKH fan but he did everything right when I was watching him - very sharp.

Weid was another who looked very good in everything he did - confident ball handling and good kicking.

Oliver must be just about right. He played wide in the simulations but laid a very strong tackle on some unfortunate and was also sure in his ball handling. 

I had never seen Pruess in the flesh and watched him carefully. He did a sure handed pick up and his long kicking seemed fine. In the drills where he had to short pass he was very deliberate. He found his targets ok but would too slow in a game. He'll usually be looking to get the hand pass off I reckon. At one point Pruess, Gawn and Bradke were doing throw in drills directed by Stafford. Obviously they weren't doing full on body smashing but they were jockeying for position. Preuss came out on top most times. As would be expected Bradke didn't get a sniff against those two.

Stafford also took Pruess and Gawn for some goal kicking practise. A few times he indicated modifications to grip and drop to them both.

It was good to see Bernie Vince assisting in some drills although he was far less vociferous than I would have expected.

Melkshake looked a gun. I watched him in one on one marking drills against Trac - he absolutely towelled him up about 4 times in a row.

Right at the end Nev had a couple of the young blokes to work on body positioning in the marking contest.  They showed great respect in the way they hung on whatever he said.

After that strenuous session Moonie and I had a couple of quenching libations at the old corner pub.

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

The 1st Round of the VFL fixture is 7th April.  That's equivalent to Round 3 in the AFL.  Presumably KK needs a couple of weeks in the 2s, we're potentially looking at a recall, form permitting, of around Round 5, and even then he's not a walk-up start.

If Lever is back around Round 8-10, then what Andy said isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

My comment was a little tongue in MFCSS cheek but yeah I have a sneaking suspicion that he might return later rather than sooner. Then again I'm a glass is almost empty kind of guy when it comes to the Dees and luck with injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Made the trek from The Manor to have a squiz at training. The blustery wind wasn't ideal and , unfortunately putting up with Moonie's bluster was less so.

Some observations

I wanted to have a look at KK but he was only doing a bit of running and some short kicking drills with Bedford and Chandler. I think he said he was about 6 weeks away from being right but I may have misheard that.

May Viney and Hannan were also on light duties but May joined in some drills later. He didn't look troubled but didn't seem overly switched on either.

I'm not a JKH fan but he did everything right when I was watching him - very sharp.

Weid was another who looked very good in everything he did - confident ball handling and good kicking.

Oliver must be just about right. He played wide in the simulations but laid a very strong tackle on some unfortunate and was also sure in his ball handling. 

I had never seen Pruess in the flesh and watched him carefully. He did a sure handed pick up and his long kicking seemed fine. In the drills where he had to short pass he was very deliberate. He found his targets ok but would too slow in a game. He'll usually be looking to get the hand pass off I reckon. At one point Pruess, Gawn and Bradke were doing throw in drills directed by Stafford. Obviously they weren't doing full on body smashing but they were jockeying for position. Preuss came out on top most times. As would be expected Bradke didn't get a sniff against those two.

Stafford also took Pruess and Gawn for some goal kicking practise. A few times he indicated modifications to grip and drop to them both.

It was good to see Bernie Vince assisting in some drills although he was far less vociferous than I would have expected.

Melkshake looked a gun. I watched him in one on one marking drills against Trac - he absolutely towelled him up about 4 times in a row.

Right at the end Nev had a couple of the young blokes to work on body positioning in the marking contest.  They showed great respect in the way they hung on whatever he said.

After that strenuous session Moonie and I had a couple of quenching libations at the old corner pub.

Is this really you Uncle ?

Not your usual salacious contribution, Uncle. Indeed you sound remarkably sane. 

Can only assume it was your alter ego at Gosch's 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: tennis ball and ball drop. I am gratified that at last this basic fundamental of good, consistent kicking is receiving attention. I highlighted Tracca's problem in another post in another thread recently.

One aspect that is not fully understood is the influence of the feel in the fingertips. It is uncanny how often good kicks are able to win the ball in awkward positions (the ball, not the player) and, because of the feel in the fingertips, instinctively adjust the ball in their hands to ensure a proper ball drop and a good kick to position.

Similar to tennis players who seem to instinctively and seamlessly adjust the raquet in their hands to hit the ball.

The best drill (in addition to the tennis ball) is a session of kick short kicks (10-15 m) at fast pace with a another person. This will force the hands to adjust quickly and surely. It's called muscle memory.

Long booming kicks at training is a waste of time to teach good kicking technique.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

Most of the experts will say that a kicking style is set in concrete by the time the kids are 14 or 15, so good on Goody for identifying Christians kicking issues & secondly, actually trying to rectify them. This will more than likely emphasize the concentration side of the craft rather that changing his style.....Good work!

It's definitely fixable. I went on a tour of the VIS facility in Footscray where they do biometric testing on kicking action. around a dozen probes are taped to the body and fed to a video/computer that shows exactly what is happening with the kicking motion, drop, body lean etc. Pinpoints exactly what should be addressed/fixed. This was back in 2011 so I imagine it has improved a lot since then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...