Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFLX Revamped

Demonland

19 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I would rather nail my scrotum to a bull-ant infested park bench than watch this rubbish.

If you nailing your scrotum to a bull ant infested bench meant that no Melbourne players were involved in this rubbish I’d help you out and supply the hammer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hoping for all 4 sides to be filled with Collingwood, West Coast, and Richmond players.

Only fair, as they are the "big" clubs

At least with so many of our best players having interrupted pre seasons, we have ready made excuses to not send them to this joke event.

• Like 1

More than one mention in this thread about how this could lead to big things internationally.

What is the actual strategy for this to happen, is it going to be broadcast anywhere where any decent sized international audience will see it? When Port play in China we hear about how the game is being shown locally but are the same people going to broadcast this, or is the idea to create a razzle dazzle highlights package that internationals will accidentally stumble on via social media and YouTube and decide they want to play the game?

International expansion is a noble goal, but let's be honest people have been dreaming about the rest of the world taking up the game for decades and because the rest of the world is perfectly happy with the sports they already have the best we get out of it is a handful of interested people and as near to irrelevant international participation figures. If it hits big and suddenly money starts flowing into the game from everywhere you can slap my [censored] and call me Charlie, but given that we can barely get parts of Australia to get interested in Australian Rules Football you're kidding yourself if you think China, India etc.. are going to fall for it just because it's played on a rectangular ground. 

• Like 4

I believe next year its to be played in Portsea on horseback !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In this enlightened day and age, where “inclusion” and racial tolerance is supposed to be the norm, why is the AFL engineering a competition where one team is solely based on race and none of the other teams are? Either all teams are based on ethnic background, or none are. 

How do the AFL expect to cut out racial taunts from spectators at games, when it’s the AFL who are promoting race as a point of difference with idiotic competitions like this?

Just another example of how poorly run and how out of touch our AFL leaders are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

In this enlightened day and age, where “inclusion” and racial tolerance is supposed to be the norm, why is the AFL engineering a competition where one team is solely based on race and none of the other teams are? Either all teams are based on ethnic background, or none are. 

How do the AFL expect to cut out racial taunts from spectators at games, when it’s the AFL who are promoting race as a point of difference with idiotic competitions like this?

Just another example of how poorly run and how out of touch our AFL leaders are.

it may be typical afl misguided blundering, nc, but it really is just more of the afl bottom-line exploitation of anything. some might even call it virtue signalling.

why they didn't just make it a state of origin i can't fathom - vic, sa, wa, rest

On 12/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, KingSlayer33 said:

well I was disinterested before but this new unveiling of the logos has me all fired up. I can't wait for this now. The logos look great, and the AFL executive clearly knows what they are doing tapping into the youth market.

Seriously - who am I kidding? The whole concept is a disgrace and totally unnecessary. Imagine if Danger actually plays in his team and goes down with an injury. Geelong will sue the AFL. I hope no dees players get the call up and actually play.

It is enough to make one sick - do we have to put up with this? the AFLX without seniors manning the field is of little interest as we are after a preview of the season, not a game of hop-scotch with minors and maybes represented by unnecessary artwork and non-football razzle dazzle; in the past, when the Dees had done well in the previous versions of the competition, our season outcomes were good - in a way, though not directly, the AFLX heralded something promising about those who work hard year in, year out for the success of the Club. 

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

it may be typical afl misguided blundering, nc, but it really is just more of the afl bottom-line exploitation of anything. some might even call it virtue signalling.

why they didn't just make it a state of origin i can't fathom - vic, sa, wa, rest

The concept is aimed at a younger audience and/or a potential overseas audience (long term)

Whether you like it or even believe it can work is an entirely different discussion.  By the way,  the whole thing lasts one evening for 3 hours.  A mere blip in the whole scheme of things.

The concept is definitely not aimed at the over 35's ... the league has already got that money stitched up.   And the AFL has been in the business of making money since the sport became professional.  Much like all the other sporting leagues around the world.  We are no different - people are the same all over.

The rest of the world has close to zero interest in the traditional game played on an oval - and that isn't changing in a hurry either. 

I see the whole thing as a bit of tackle-free harmless fun that might just gain an audience.  The sky isn't falling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Macca said:

The concept is aimed at a younger audience and/or a potential overseas audience (long term)

Whether you like it or even believe it can work is an entirely different discussion.  By the way,  the whole thing lasts one evening for 3 hours.  A mere blip in the whole scheme of things.

The concept is definitely not aimed at the over 35's ... the league has already got that money stitched up.   And the AFL has been in the business of making money since the sport became professional.  Much like all the other sporting leagues around the world.  We are no different - people are the same all over.

The rest of the world has close to zero interest in the traditional game played on an oval - and that isn't changing in a hurry either. 

I see the whole thing as a bit of tackle-free harmless fun that might just gain an audience.  The sky isn't falling.

well no-one is suggesting the sky is falling, macca

and i did make a positive suggestion that it could have been differentiated by state of origin (even with marvel themed logos) instead of the nonsense teams they come up with 

i'm yet to meet many people young or old who are excited yet alone even slightly 'aroused'

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

well no-one is suggesting the sky is falling, macca

and i did make a positive suggestion that it could have been differentiated by state of origin (even with marvel themed logos) instead of the nonsense teams they come up with 

i'm yet to meet many people young or old who are excited yet alone even slightly 'aroused'

Most I've spoken to are indifferent and may or may not take a look to see the potential.  People don't like going against the grain either so your lot might be telling you stuff that you want to hear. 

We won't know much until the whole thing is played out over a 5 - 10 year period.  Unless it's an abject failure which would end things quite quickly.  I fancy that it might gain an audience large enough to be a going concern.  The TV numbers will be interesting as there's not a great deal of sport going on that weekend.

By the way,  I am making no grandiose predictions about the idea nor am I a cheerleader for the concept.  The AFL are going ahead with the idea regardless of our opinions.  And a good percentage of footy fans are going to be tempted to have a look-see.  You going to have a look?

And have you read the reactions on this thread?  Lots of anger and hate as I see it.  Go back and have a re-read dc.  

State based is old hat and has no real appeal to a younger audience.  As an example the Big Bash ditched the State thing and went to City based teams.  And it worked despite those who opposed the concept.

By the way,  many of those who hate t20 keep comparing t20 to Test cricket.  Comparing AFLX to footy is where people are getting it wrong.  I see the differences and judge things separately.  AFLX is not a threat to footy same as t20 is not a threat to Test cricket.  However,  one could argue that Test cricket is a threat to itself.  

Edited by Macca

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

State based is old hat and has no real appeal to a younger audience.  As an example the Big Bash ditched the State thing and went to City based teams.  And it worked despite those who opposed the concept.

By the way,  many of those who hate t20 keep comparing t20 to Test cricket.  Comparing AFLX to footy is where people are getting it wrong.  I see the differences and judge things separately.  AFLX is not a threat to footy same as t20 is not a threat to Test cricket.  However,  one could argue that Test cricket is a threat to itself.  

well the aflx teams aren't even based on city. seemingly no logic there in their team 'affiliations'. still think soo would be better than current choices.

i also get the feeling bb is starting to wane. i now hear more complaints and disinterest than before. Will be interesting to see where bb (t20) is in another 10 years or so. Too many millionaire 2nd and 3rd rate cricketers playing bad cricket. I remember when ODI took off and what a revelation the 'short form' was and how popular. Now it's a mere shadow of itself.

there are already new cricket formats (shorter than t20) being rolled out.

cricket seems to be burning the candle at both ends and leaving both the worse off. if i was the afl i wouldn't be looking at cricket australia for inspiration.

it's all just an opinion, macca, and i'm not against positive changes at all, but the afl don't seem to be making much of a fist with aflx and doing an even worse job trying to spin it. it reeks of over-reaching by over-paid afl executives who like to revel in the limelight

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

well the aflx teams aren't even based on city. seemingly no logic there in their team 'affiliations'. still think soo would be better than current choices.

i also get the feeling bb is starting to wane. i now hear more complaints and disinterest than before. Will be interesting to see where bb (t20) is in another 10 years or so. Too many millionaire 2nd and 3rd rate cricketers playing bad cricket. I remember when ODI took off and what a revelation the 'short form' was and how popular. Now it's a mere shadow of itself.

there are already new cricket formats (shorter than t20) being rolled out.

cricket seems to be burning the candle at both ends and leaving both the worse off. if i was the afl i wouldn't be looking at cricket australia for inspiration.

it's all just an opinion, macca, and i'm not against positive changes at all, but the afl don't seem to be making much of a fist with aflx and doing an even worse job trying to spin it. it reeks of over-reaching by over-paid afl executives who like to revel in the limelight

AFLX is not necessarily a positive change ... it is more so a completely different version of footy targeting a completely different type of audience.  The new names for the teams may or may not be part of that potential appeal.  Again,  you and I aren't the target audience so we really don't count nor do we matter.  AFLX is being structured for a different demographic.

And t20 cricket is not going anywhere ... India and it's hundreds of millions of people will drive the success of t20 much like the Americans drive the support of baseball & the NFL.  Those underestimating India do so at their peril.  The money generated from India is enormous.  We pale into insignificance by comparison.  

The Big Bash could completely fall over (and it won't) and t20 would still flourish & thrive from a world-wide perspective.  Australia plays a very small part.

But in relation to most sports in Australia,  the Big Bash still gets a very big audience both at the venues and on TV.  The A League,  NBL,  ARL & Super Rugby,  ABL,  Sheffield Shield and a few other sports would love to have the 60 free-to-air prime-time slots that the Big Bash occupies.  It's not really my cup of tea but again,  that matters not.  CA doesn't need my eyes nor my attention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alpha33 said:

Relax everyone. The AFLX is for the kiddies. 

If you’re over 18 years of age, look away.

Those aged over 18 up to 35 is also the target audience in my opinion.  With possibly a number of add-ons from those aged older.  That may or may not happen later. 

And then there is the completely untapped overseas audience. 

And why the call for people to 'Relax'?  What on earth is there to worry about? 

10 minutes ago, Macca said:

AFLX is not necessarily a positive change ... it is more so a completely different version of footy targeting a completely different type of audience.  The new names for the teams may or may not be part of that potential appeal.  Again,  you and I aren't the target audience so we really don't count nor do we matter.  AFLX is being structured for a different demographic.

And t20 cricket is not going anywhere ... India and it's hundreds of millions of people will drive the success of t20 much like the Americans drive the support of baseball & the NFL.  Those underestimating India do so at their peril.  The money generated from India is enormous.  We pale into insignificance by comparison.  

The Big Bash could completely fall over (and it won't) and t20 would still flourish & thrive from a world-wide perspective.  Australia plays a very small part.

But in relation to most sports in Australia,  the Big Bash still gets a very big audience both at the venues and on TV.  The A League,  NBL,  ARL & Super Rugby,  ABL,  Sheffield Shield and a few other sports would love to have the 60 free-to-air prime-time slots that the Big Bash occupies.  It's not really my cup of tea but again,  that matters not.  CA doesn't need my eyes nor my attention.

i did say let's look at where bb (t20) is another 10 years or so. like i said odi was hugely popular in its initial years too. made for tv stuff usually has a use by date. even big brother didn't last (thank god) LOL

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

Those aged over 18 up to 35 is also the target audience in my opinion.  With possibly a number of add-ons from those aged older.  That may or may not happen later. 

And then there is the completely untapped overseas audience. 

And why the call for people to 'Relax'?  What on earth is there to worry about? 

Have you seen the format?

Some people are concerned that it will further degrade the game but by me - it’s already a bust and I doubt it will attract an overseas audience or last very long. 

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i did say let's look at where bb (t20) is another 10 years or so. like i said odi was hugely popular in its initial years too. made for tv stuff usually has a use by date. even big brother didn't last (thank god) LOL

50 over cricket has waned in the last 10 years because of the advent of t20 cricket.  Again,  driven by India and it's millions of people who fell in love with t20.   Lots of Australians fell in love with t20 too. 

Many now probably see 50 over cricket as an overly long version of the 3 hour version.  Not sure where Test cricket fits in but whilst that version remains strong in India,  England & Australia,  it will keep going.

But progress happens and often that progress is an unstoppable force.  If AFLX gains an audience separate to AFL,  what's wrong with that?  Doesn't it grow the overall sport? 

25 minutes ago, alpha33 said:

Have you seen the format?

Some people are concerned that it will further degrade the game but by me - it’s already a bust and I doubt it will attract an overseas audience or last very long.

And you might be right too ... but you might be wrong.  What happens then?

My opinion is the same for a lot of these unknowns - wait and see what happens.  I'm the same with judging new or young footballers.  I've yet to come across anyone who gets it mostly right with these sorts of things.  The truth is that most who judge too early are prone to getting it wrong.  

As for the format - whether I like it or not is immaterial.  What matters is whether the format has a big enough appeal amongst others to gain an audience.  And that may or may not happen.  My personal opinion on whether I like it or not amounts to zilch.  It's not about me.

Edited by Macca

As for the over-the-top injury concerns ... AFLX is virtually tackle-free.  And it is all over in 3 hours. 

I drove past Gosch's earlier last week and we were conducting simulated match practice of sorts.  I saw numerous bodies around the ball,  packs flying for marks and various players contesting the ball (the traffic was heavy)

My first thought was - someone could easily do an ACL here or at least incur a soft tissue injury.  But we are going to play 2 practice matches in the pre-season and the risk of injury then reaches the same levels as they do in the season proper games.

• Thanks 1