Demonland

Sam Weideman + contract

Leave it till the end of year.

Balls in his court.

If he has a really good year kicking 2-3 goals a game then I’d pay him $600k

If he has an average year at maybe 1 goal average per game then no more than 500, as long as he has shown genuine improvement on stats from last year.

700 plus is reserved for superstars, he would need to rack up some super impressive numbers to get that sort of cash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

GWS still have salary cap issues so there is no way they would overpay for a "maybe forward".

Only way is if another club took Patton off their hands. Can't see that happening this year given his injury history.

Geelong..now that is a possibility

Hawks are offering Patton now...  apparently very happy with how he's responding in his Rehab.

1 hour ago, DeeZee said:

Leave it till the end of year.

Totally agree DZ.

If he has a good year and shows development, he'll get his just desserts. If not, then he won't be worthy of even close to half a mil.

Either way, Weid isn't worth 650k, good year or bad.

Did this report originate from a reliable source or is it just being bounced around in the AFL media/social media echo-chamber?

Has his management been approached by the Pies? All unofficial of course but potential $ discussed. Leading to this tripe! 

• Like 1

I think the Cats will chase Sam if he doesn't sign on, from what I have heard, they were pretty keen on him last trade period also.

If the worst was to happen and we lost Weideman to another club what would we do for another key forward ? If we want to remain potent up forward we would need a like replacement 

losing hogan and weideman in consecutive years wouldn’t be great! 

6 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

He will remain at the MFC and they will pay him what they believe is required to keep him.End off story.

The only problem I see there is if Weideman believes he is worth more than what we believe he is worth to keep him, and thus he doesn't remain at the MFC.  

I believe he is far more likely to stay than leave, but you really never know.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The only problem I see there is if Weideman believes he is worth more than what we believe he is worth to keep him, and thus he doesn't remain at the MFC.  

He won't be disappointed with what they are going to pay him.

Just now, drysdale demon said:

He won't be disappointed with what they are going to pay him.

Depends on what we want to pay him.  I'd also wager that we are sniffing around other free agents and need to ensure that we have the right amount of money there to get them to the club.  

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I dunno - do guys who are pre-peak with (say) 500k on the table ever really go “pff, I’m worth 550-600 easy, I’m outta here”? 

Young players leave if they’re pissed off or get a massively better offer. The club rates Weideman, so I can’t see any realistic scenario where he doesn’t sign on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I dunno - do guys who are pre-peak with (say) 500k on the table ever really go “pff, I’m worth 550-600 easy, I’m outta here”? 

Young players leave if they’re [censored] off or get a massively better offer. The club rates Weideman, so I can’t see any realistic scenario where he doesn’t sign on.

Correct... unless he gets a Tom Boyd like deal then best wishes to the guy. 

Just now, Nasher said:

Young players leave if they’re [censored] off or get a massively better offer. The club rates Weideman, so I can’t see any realistic scenario where he doesn’t sign on.

True, and I said as much earlier in the thread.  His opening gambit isn't what he is expecting, just a starting point in negotiations.  

I'm only coming from the other side and how the club might view his worth.  When we signed other players, did we have a contract in mind, or do we have money ready to go to cover all options?  

I agree that the club rates Weideman, but I also believe that the club has been really good in not 'giving in' to big demands, and it has allowed us to sign players to good contracts that gives us flexibility.  What happens if Weideman and his manager dig his heels in?  What happens if another club comes calling with a good offer?

That's alot of 'what ifs', but he is a young key forward who has shown plenty of potential, if not a whole lot of consistency.  I think it means this contract situation might take a while to play out.

I want to see at least a couple of big games (6-7 goal games) before big dollars are thrown around 

i think Sam will be a gun, but he need a contract with incentives attached before he signs a big one

$650,000 is just a starting price...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was a big believer after last years finals series. Thought Sam had the nous, skill and hardness to make a real handy player. 

All I see now is an underperforming key position player, someone who isn’t developing in an environment that should allow it.  

But, he’s not on his lonesome this year is he?

Would hate to see us let him go to the Pies or elsewhere and blossom late as big men often do but I’m also reluctant to bide my time with a guy who essentially should by now be smashing packs and dragging in strong marks.  

That is his job after all.

Edited by McQueen
Typing double words due to too many froffies.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I was a big believer after last years finals series. Thought Sam had the nous, skill and hardness to make a real handy player. 

All I see now is an underperforming key key position player, someone who isn’t developing in an environment that should allow it.  

But, he’s not on his lonesome this year is he?

Would hate to see us let him go to the Pies or elsewhere and blossom late as big men often do but I’m also reluctant to bide my time with a guy who essentially should by now be smashing packs and dragging in strong marks.  

That is his job after all.

The kid will come good and we can't afford to lose another key forward. Who else do we have coming through?

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

The kid will come good and we can't afford to lose another key forward. Who else do we have coming through?

No one of note but seriously I thought Tim Smith offered more tonight. 

I am concerned that he will become one of the star forwards in the competition; with another club.

• Like 1

Fitness looks really poor and his confidence is shot, but for hecks sake at least last week he had a run and jump at some. Tonight was just ridiculous seeing him lead back, across and absolutely no where near leading up to the ball carrier.

The only time he had a decent contest under a kick there were multiple team mates dragging their opponent to him.

Awful game, and time for him to go back to the 2's, but probably can't judge everything on tonight or on any games this year given how bad we've been. He can't be getting good coaching or an efficient forward set up.

3 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Tim is a 28 year old who had a good first quarter and then disappeared. He is not our future.

Agree Sam was poor tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

He sure did, dropped a few he should've taken but at least got separation and hands to it. Sam is jumping nowhere near it. It's time to give Keilty a go as well.