Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Weideman + contract

Demonland

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

A newbie trying to throw their weight around.

Cute.

I don't give a stuff if you think being here longer means you are not talking crap. 5000+ posts of your quality? You think Goodwin is a good coach. I have as much right as you to make observations as someone who does not have much of a life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

Hogan was sitting in the stands for those two finals texting his mates in Perth from memory 

Weidemann was only called upon when Hogan was injured. He did play the odd game at the beginning of the year.

I still think the main problem is the way the present Melbourne 'system' works. Or, more to the point, is not working.

I've only seen highlights but when he did get a good chunk of a grab he was competing with Gawn!

Not many forwards have kicked goals when there is so much mayhem and disfunction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, loges said:

Spent last year hoping he would get back his form, couldn't even impact at Casey , a level at which he should be too fast and too clever for most opposition. Just think he will continue to disappoint. I eventually came to that conclusion by the end of 2018. Since we aren't going anywhere perhaps it time to try some younger players.

You will scar most younger players for life if they appear in many performances like last night.  And if any have true talent they would most likely leave for greener pastures after witnessing that rubbish.  Jeffy isn't interested in performing for Casey.  If you asked him and he was honest i would eat my hat if he said otherwise other than to brush off the cobwebs after injury or biding his time for someone to get dropped if coming back from injury etc.  He's not a rookie trying to make a name for himself in his first season or two on the list.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, DemonWheels said:

Collingwood in the finals last year when rather than just bombing it in, they kicked it to a spot in front of Mason Cox which allowed him to run and jump at it. They took height off the kick and kind of just 'popped' it to him a bit lower and flat, allowing him to get a little separation from his man and if needed the ball was kicked on top of the head of an opponent which allowed Cox to jump all over them.

With Weid's jump and reach we should be doing the same thing. So often it's just bombed and it comes down on top of him which is easy for the opposition

This is exactly IT... imo.

And why I've been calling to start Weide and Hunt from deep forward, and TMc high half-forward , as another Midfielder.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Uncle Fester said:

And that 5 meter kick to Jones....

Funnily enough I went down to see Weid's first training session.

As I walked across the parkland to the oval the first thing I saw was that very same kick.

I thought...oh no, what have we got here.

I think he relaxes mentally at times...that kick is an example. He needs to stay on his game...

Time at Casey, I'm not so sure it will help.

He's still young and has shown he can do it at the level.

Leave him there and try and sort out the ball movement and forward structure.

It's appalling.

I think plugger would of ironed out his coaches at training if they suggested this was the way to play...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

I have had such high hopes for the weed but he has been very disapointing  this year. We do have to try and hang on to him as he is young and has shown he can play.

It Might be time to send him (Weide) back to Rawlings,  to find his form and confidence, once again.

Sometimes,  difficult to do in an inform side... but in a team playing like ours at the moment, we might be better off with him going to Casey Demons for a couple of weeks.

Play Dec Keilty and tSmith up front...  with a heap of pace around them.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

You will scar most younger players for life if they appear in many performances like last night.  And if any have true talent they would most likely leave for greener pastures after witnessing that rubbish.  Jeffy isn't interested in performing for Casey.  If you asked him and he was honest i would eat my hat if he said otherwise other than to brush off the cobwebs after injury or biding his time for someone to get dropped if coming back from injury etc.  He's not a rookie trying to make a name for himself in his first season or two on the list.

Never the less he is a player needing to re establish himself after a long form lapse. If that is all too hard for him he can retire, what message does that send? Also plenty of young players have made a name for themselves coming up through poor sides and would have experienced plenty of thrashings, thats how you find out who's got the stuff to make it.

1 hour ago, Deehumanizing said:

I think he only wanted a trade because he was not wanted here. I heard we were keen to get rid of him rather than have the cost of his next contract. We had him and if he stayed and we had a successful year he may have stayed longer and if not we could have traded him for someone who was fit and could get on the park. We did get overs but so far he has proved he is worth it.

I think your making that up

Being the masochist that I am, I watched the replay this morning. A few more observations:

a) Gawn or the coaching staff mistimed his break during the 3rd qtr. While Gawn was on the bench, Nankervis went forward so Frost had to match up on him. This left Hore on Riewoldt and led to Riewoldt kicking two relatively easy goals beating Hore in the air. Once Gawn came back onto the ground he went behind the ball and took some much needed contested marks back there. 

b) Despite his ball in hand errors, Tmac was actually pretty good. I still think he needs to play forward a long with Preuss. Preuss playing would have changed Richmond's defence completely I feel. Forward line next week has to be Tmac, Preuss and one of Smith of Weideman.I think oMac has to come back or play Keilty or Petty. Gawn will have to play behind the ball again if Mitchell Lewis plays for them given that would equal 3 tall players for them. 

c) Stack gave Hunt a bath. 

d) Jones was actually pretty good across half back. He got to every contest in his vicinity that I saw. He's much more suited there rather than on the wing.

e) Viney easily could have side-stepped the Stack hit. It's almost like Viney wanted the contact. Just typical of him trying to take players on and failing.

f) Stretch was good. Definitely earns a couple more weeks.

g) I can't work out what role Harmes was playing either that or he just had a really poor game I felt. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, DV8 said:

This is exactly IT... imo.

And why I've been calling to start Weide and Hunt from deep forward, and TMc high half-forward , as another Midfielder.

Cox has a minimum six inch height advantage that Colingwood have learnt to use well. Same does not go Weideman but I agree delivery could improve

38 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

I think your making that up

I have heard this discussed in other forums. It is an estimation from seeing how professional clubs manage their talent and finance. There was overconfidence that we could do without him and would risk losing him for nothing next year. Unfortunately, there was nobody of his caliber to replace him with. It is the worst trade under Goodwin's stint and it may not have even been his decision. Either way, Hogan is gone now and we struggle to be competitive. I did not make that up. Hogan provided a reliable target and was a hard match that made 2nd tall Tmac and 3rd tall Weeds better in their positions. Now he is gone and we have lost the best key position player on our list and struggle to kick a goal.

3 hours ago, Cam Schwab's Whiteboard said:

I really don't see Wied as the issue. A 21year old with 20 games in a team who seem to think blind kicks over the shoulder are a viable way forward. Don't forget he was only to be the second tall behind McDonald, who has been so bad he was playing at the other end of the ground last night.

He might need to play at Casey for some confidence, but career over at Melbourne? Please.

The blind kicks, the bombs, the mis-kicks to opponents, these are just killing us and playing to the opposition. Week in, week out. Just some of the many factors to be immediately addressed - so, I guess it will not be done, either. 

15 minutes ago, Deehumanizing said:

I have heard this discussed in other forums. It is an estimation from seeing how professional clubs manage their talent and finance. There was overconfidence that we could do without him and would risk losing him for nothing next year. Unfortunately, there was nobody of his caliber to replace him with. It is the worst trade under Goodwin's stint and it may not have even been his decision. Either way, Hogan is gone now and we struggle to be competitive. I did not make that up. Hogan provided a reliable target and was a hard match that made 2nd tall Tmac and 3rd tall Weeds better in their positions. Now he is gone and we have lost the best key position player on our list and struggle to kick a goal.

we were never at risk of losing hogan 'for nothing' as he would not have been eligible for free agency at the end of 2019

it's not just the worst trade under goodwin, it's the worst trade since we shipped scott thompson out and got brent moloney back

may is fat, undersized for a modern key defender, and lazy while kk is the next cale morton; hogan will continue to be the prototype modern key forward

we must persevere with weed and t mac up forward as it's out best option; shifting t mac defensively last night was an admission of defeat in my view before the siren had even sounded

48 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Currently Weids is within his rights to ask for a half sucked mintie and 2 musk sticks.

I think that his indulgence with half-sucked minties and the two or three musk sticks is a reason that he fails to gain the desirable bulk so required of a KPF who only operates in large packs to make social connections. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

it's not just the worst trade under goodwin, it's the worst trade since we shipped scott thompson out and got brent moloney back

Hear, hear! Wish we'd kept Gysberts, too - he may have taught the Weed how to take a mark.

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

It Might be time to send him (Weide) back to Rawlings,  to find his form and confidence, once again.

Sometimes,  difficult to do in an inform side... but in a team playing like ours at the moment, we might be better off with him going to Casey Demons for a couple of weeks.

Play Dec Keilty and tSmith up front...  with a heap of pace around them.

How does this message get through? We have been recommending it for over a year, now - and whilst we are down with rehabs and the ageing know-it-alls, it would be bloody handy.

2 hours ago, Deehumanizing said:

As I said you are making it up

4 hours ago, loges said:

Never the less he is a player needing to re establish himself after a long form lapse. If that is all too hard for him he can retire, what message does that send? Also plenty of young players have made a name for themselves coming up through poor sides and would have experienced plenty of thrashings, thats how you find out who's got the stuff to make it.

Again Loges if you can put someone forward on our list who can play a similar role near goal as Jeffy and is better at it right now im happy to give it a rethink.

The way the bulk of this team is performing right now im pretty sure Jeffy will be getting a decent block of games from here.  Let's see what he (along with and in comparison to the other forwards in the team) delivers.

As I've said on many occasions since Prueee was first played out of the square against the Swans with good effect...Jeffy is a perfect foil for him when he's in.

Playing them tegother in the same roles close to goal for a solid block of games will allow them settle in and get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses and gain some trust.  The big bustling tall and the quick agile small of it will offer a great challenge to the opponents and their match ups on game day.  Also minding an in form Jeffy takes one less speedster away from playing higher up the field and splitting us open in a more damaging part of the field on the counter.

These are the little things we need to do to test and stretch out opponents and try and make the best of our own strengths.

If i was a mid fielder i would much rather be directing my bail out kick under pressure to these two deep,  rather than say T-Mac with Weids running into him at the hot zone with no quality smalls at their feet to gather any spills, then watching the opp smalls gather and run off on the counter connecting with my direct opponent on the sling shot over the top.  Much more confidence kicking a mung ball to those two than anyone else (outside of Melk) at this point.

And once our mids start gaining confidence that their bail outs are getting more results, their trust will grow and confidence in their own ability and game should follow.

Confidence is hard to find during tough times...but once the fire is lit it can quickly catch on.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1