• Podcast:     

Training - Tuesday 12th February, 2019

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, but you jinxed him😀😁 gave his head a good belt on the ground during the tackling drill,  left looking a bit worse for wear, uptil then was really good, received praise a couple of times for his s

Why don't you go to training to see for yourself what is going on, no one is forcing you to read Saty's posts. For supporters like myself who don't live in Melbourne all the training reports are appre

Any updates Saty?  For the small minority of posters who seem to take exception at your opinions, there are a lot more mostly silent readers who really appreciate the training updates you provide and

4 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Any other questions feel free to ask, no good at describing the drills, maybe some blurry photos later if MR Demonland can post when I put them on Insta

We'll start a Go Fund Me page to get you a camera that was made this century. 😛

Image result for old timey photographer beard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

54 minutes ago, Demonland said:

So just to recap the rehabbers are: Jones, Viney, Melksham, Jetta, Hibberd, May, Lever, Kolodjashnij, Baker & T Smith.

Is Hibberd new to the rehab group. Any idea what his ailment is?

Hibberd and Jetta got a bit of a knock on Saturday, did bits and pieces rehab and main grouo, no issue, Baker and Viney on a gradual intro to main group so bits and pieces as well

Melksham tested the hammy by doing a sliding mark in the wet,  no issue

Camera is all about the image not the quality the Monet of training photos perhaps

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If he's publishing them publicly on Instagram then he can't complain if someone links/embeds it here.

Read my post, they were used on another platform without attribution, Demonland is ok to post

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Agreed and I don’t see why anyone would be upset at Saty asking people not to use his photos without permission 

Personally, I value his reports - the photography is commendable and memorable - I do not need individual copies - and living in Adelaide makes any training attendance impossible yet there is no let-up about needing to know who, what and when players are progressing, preparing well and performance standards. Thanks, Sat, for these valuable inputs and your consideration to responsive DL members. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Hibberd and Jetta got a bit of a knock on Saturday, did bits and pieces rehab and main grouo, no issue, Baker and Viney on a gradual intro to main group so bits and pieces as well

Melksham tested the hammy by doing a sliding mark in the wet,  no issue

Camera is all about the image not the quality the Monet of training photos perhaps

Read my post, they were used on another platform without attribution, Demonland is ok to post

Thanks for the update Saty. 

Do you know how KK is travelling and when he might be phased into the main group?

Cheers 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, The team we love said:

Thanks for the update Saty. 

Do you know how KK is travelling and when he might be phased into the main group?

Cheers 

Not sure, seems upbeat at training, so can't be getting him down, was indiors today, doesn't seem inconvenienced when running

I'm a bit worried looking into this year. with the new kick in rule missed shots on goal are going to be even more costly. As the ball will be at least over the half way mark after the kick in

It sounds like we plan on playing petracca forward who couldn't hit the side of a barn last season and one of our sharp shooters in melksham is well under done. Our other sharp shooter in fritsch they want played on a fricking wing or back flank. Throw in the fact that either preuss/gawn will be forward also. It frustrates me that a priority in goal kicking conversion hasn't been made and I will be more than happy to re-visit this post each time we lose a game due to poor conversion. 

Edited by Dr.D

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

It sounds like we plan on playing petracca forward who couldn't hit the side of a barn last season...........................It frustrates me that a priority in goal kicking conversion hasn't been made. 

And with that, i'm tipping Trac to have a 50.30 goal season!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I'm a bit worried looking into this year. with the new kick in rule missed shots on goal are going to be even more costly. As the ball will be at least over the half way mark after the kick in

It sounds like we plan on playing petracca forward who couldn't hit the side of a barn last season and one of our sharp shooters in melksham is well under done. Our other sharp shooter in fritsch they want played on a fricking wing or back flank. Throw in the fact that either preuss/gawn will be forward also. It frustrates me that a priority in goal kicking conversion hasn't been made and I will be more than happy to re-visit this post each time we lose a game due to poor conversion. 

Melksham is only a week away

The whole group does at lleast 10 minutes goal kicking practice, including today in atrocious conditions 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Any other questions feel free to ask, no good at describing the drills, maybe some blurry photos later if MR Demonland can post when I put them on Insta

Notice any discernible difference between training levels/keenness at this time last year and 2019? please.... 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Thanks Saty

the use of drones is an obvious one when you think of it for getting that overall movement of the ball angle

Body cams is an interesting one too

Cheers

I attended my first training session for the year yesterday and whilst it wasn't really a proper training session I did notice that there are two posts positioned about 18 inches inside the normal goal posts providing an even smaller target to kick a goal.  I'd imagine it's to sharpen our goal kicking. 

On Hibberd I read in the paper that he thought he'd done his hammy on Saturday but scans had cleared him.  I imagine that's why he's on restricted duties.  Having spoken to a couple of people yesterday my impression was that all bar Lever are expected to be fit and available for R1 based on their current injury status.  Good news

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Notice any discernible difference between training levels/keenness at this time last year and 2019? please.... 

Each year the standard rises, the players get the message, there is no pounding up and down Anderson Hill this year, everybody, including the rehabbers was ready to go Rd 1

And what May said about the MFC training

1 hour ago, Dr.D said:

Most of our missed shots at goal is about composure.

That will get better along with our rise in collective confidence.

The leftover miss's will negligible.

1 hour ago, Dr.D said:

Looking at the AFLW, the ball is getting past 50 quicker from kick ins.  If we believe we can win the midfield, then the basic press will be deeper and we will man on man closer targets, get the ball on the deck, and win the contested ball.  Maxy will have a role in the press, or will cover their ruckman if he sits inside 30-60m.

Each team has wins and losses based on accuracy.  If we can make them kick under pressure, we can limit their accuracy.  Our strategy of the target diamond 30m out gives us the best chance of accurate set shots.

i hope your angst will be misplaced....

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm quite annoyed with the number of good players that have had a limited  pre-season.  melksham, Oliver, viney, lever..yikes! a horror start 

Why annoyed 'Dr'?

I could understand concerned but it's not like the club or players are responsible.

Or, is that how you see it?

Who are you annoyed with?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm quite annoyed with the number of good players that have had a limited  pre-season.  melksham, Oliver, viney, lever..yikes! a horror start 

Agree 100%. It’s been a poor pre season (judging by DL training and media reports)  whichever way you cut it.

Extremely late start to the season by our standards (how will we adapt?)

AFLPA imposed breaks every other week effecting continuity, especially since we started back late.

Gawn being the only player of our acclaimed midfield to have a full pre season to date.

Tons of rehabbers in any session.

While we could have as little as Jake Lever unavailable for round 1, will the gun players who have had interrupted pre seasons survive the year without injury?

Hopefully I’m jumping at shadows and we’ll be just fine.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Melksham is only a week away

The whole group does at lleast 10 minutes goal kicking practice, including today in atrocious conditions 

If 10+ minutes goal kicking practice 3 times a week is all they do then I am with Dr D on this, but only comfortable in the knowledge that the entire AFL industry is pathetic on this issue.  It really is waiting for a club to put some proper work into goal-kicking.  Someone is going to win a premiership off it soon and then the entire industry will follow and we'll see players doing goal kicking practice for a couple of hours a day.  Would be great for us to be the first.

Saty, maybe you can ask Max Rooke at training if he has any ambitions to see our forwards improve accuracy the way the true professionals have in the NFL.  Back in the old days (60's), accuracy stats were around the same as the AFL at the time (~50%).  Every decade the NFL has improved and now if you are not around 85% you don't have a job for long.  The best career record is Justin Tucker of the Ravens at 90.1% over the last 6-7 years.  The average field goal distance is around 38 yards (so 34m) so probably not that different to AFL.  They don't have a ball drop but there is a bit of variation in the placement and their posts are about 1m closer together.  Compare this to the AFL where accuracy has not really improved over the past 50 years.    A professional golfer would not be professional for long if he did putting practice for 10-15 minutes 3x a week.

On the bright side, for players that had more than 30 shots at goal in a season, Tracc sits at 13th on the all time list for his 2017 season.  And for career stats TMac sits 9th on the all time list for those that have had >50 shots at goal. 

40 minutes ago, demonoid said:

Any word on why kk is in rehab?

A number of players pulled up sore after the slog in wet weather on the weekend...  so wiser heads prevail like this.   Ease them into the week, when tissues are over taut.

All going right, it should pan out to being a loong season for us D's.

We need to be prepared right,  so we are still reasonably fresh in Legs come September.   September more important than March.

The players should be fairly fit and tuned by now,, as per a loong season.  Backing them off should be fine, to see the season through. Particularly the oldies, like that Jones boy.

If we were easy beats still,  we should then be looking for a fitness jump over the competition in early season. 

This is what we do not want for our situation...  as legs will be tiring come September,  right when we need to be at our best.