Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
Diamond_Jim

AFLW on the main board

Recommended Posts

Hi

I can understand the need and place for separate forums but I would like to suggest that the AFLW forum be merged with the main board.

This is not to suggest that they do not deserve their own place but until the competition grows in recognition it would be great if we could increase its exposure on the main board.

Would also give the excellent posters on the AFLW some greater exposure.

Cheers from Malda in West Bengal where AFLW is on everyone's lips !!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, am completely and totally disinterested in AFLW, though I do get that many people are invested.  I have no worry with how much or little others want to get into AFLW, but as I am so disinterested I do find it a tad annoying that the AFL official site and the Fox Sports AFL pages, for example, intermix the AFL with AFLW so readily and very much prefer they were totally separate pages so that those that are passionate can easily read to their hearts content and those like me don’t have to sort though to find the AFL.  

Mind you, I get equally annoyed to have to sift through so called ‘news’ items like Dermott Bretton losing weight on a reality show or Dane Swan going to some wrestling match with guys from Hollywood......

Of course I do get the those web sites are a strong marketing tool for them.   Anyway,  I don’t intend this to be an AFLW bashing exercise as they have every right to do their thing and enjoy playing, being watched etc., but my vote would be ‘no’, don’t merge AFLW with the main page.

Edited by kryton101
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support the OP.

Essentially, though, it just proves I'm lazy. It's not that hard to go to the AFLW Board, but I don't do it. Having said that, I think having AFLW intermixed with the men's will enhance our women's team by increasing their exposure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

‘Twas all the rage a couple of years ago within the media, until yesterday I didn’t even realise the season had commenced.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another in favour of putting it in the main forum... my browser defaults to this forum page and so I tend to miss updates on the AFLW forum unless I consciously go looking for them; something that’s easier said than done when you’re brain-dead.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An option might be to have the 'AFLW: Rd x vs xxx' thread on the main board for that week.  That thread seems to pick up all the news for the week: team selection, injuries, game day comments, Coaches votes, TOTW etc etc etc all in one place. 

At the end of the week it is moved to the AFLW board and start again with the next round's thread.  This gives the game exposure during the season with only one thread at a time on the main board.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep them seperate. Those that have interest in it know where it is. 

Too many knee injuries in the AFLW for my liking

I wish any girl all the best playing footy if they want to, but their knees are not as strong as men  

I did see some highlights from Vic Park and there are some good players now, but i just don’t want to see so many knee injuries 

 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

An option might be to have the 'AFLW: Rd x vs xxx' thread on the main board for that week.  That thread seems to pick up all the news for the week: team selection, injuries, game day comments, Coaches votes, TOTW etc etc etc all in one place. 

At the end of the week it is moved to the AFLW board and start again with the next round's thread.  This gives the game exposure during the season with only one thread at a time on the main board.

Yep, good idea. My vote is firmly on having the AFLW on the main board - or at least the game thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part, I like having the separate board as it makes it a little harder for people who don't have constructive contributions to interrupt those that do. The key word being constructive - criticism is fine but the boring "I'd rather do X than watch blah blah" comments are so tired and unnecessary, luckily there has been less of that here lately than in other places. It's just annoying when people feel the need to rush in and say they're not interested when everyone else just wants to talk about what's actually happening on the field.

Having said that, the more the merrier, so if having the game thread on the main board brings more people along for the ride, why not?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Start  a poll,  you would be lucky to get 10% support for putting AFLW stuff on the main forum.

It would ruin it actually.

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

 Start  a poll,  you would be lucky to get 10% support for putting AFLW stuff on the main forum.

It would ruin it actually.

 

The % would change depending on whether or not it was an anonymous poll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very pro AFLW, but if it wasn't already clear enough in previous years, the pace to bring more teams into the league has resulted in an even lower overall quality in the games being played. The depth of talent is still lacking for it to be deemed a quality befitting national levels.

I do like that a lot of games are relatively close which keeps it interesting, but on a national platform, some of the skill (a greater percentage of it) is simply sub-standard.

Until such time that the quality of the AFLW significantly improves, it would greatly benefit from demand being far greater than supply. The AFLW's expansion has come way too soon imo.

 

Then again, we were an absolute basket-case not that long ago..........................people in glass houses..............

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

Yep, good idea. My vote is firmly on having the AFLW on the main board - or at least the game thread. 

That is a very sensible compromise and we could see how we go.

Not sure if the site can handle simultaneous threads in both forums but if so that would be a fantastic outcome.

Even the naysayers would have been happy with beating Collingwood at Victoria Park last week.

It does take time for the game to evolve but as we have seen with women's cricket and soccer it can and will happen.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

I am very pro AFLW, but if it wasn't already clear enough in previous years, the pace to bring more teams into the league has resulted in an even lower overall quality in the games being played. The depth of talent is still lacking for it to be deemed a quality befitting national levels.

I do like that a lot of games are relatively close which keeps it interesting, but on a national platform, some of the skill (a greater percentage of it) is simply sub-standard.

Until such time that the quality of the AFLW significantly improves, it would greatly benefit from demand being far greater than supply. The AFLW's expansion has come way too soon imo.

 

Then again, we were an absolute basket-case not that long ago..........................people in glass houses..............

The exposure to the girls game will help it grow, at grass roots levels.   The kids/girls, will be the future of their game... and of the main game as well.

It will all prosper with exposure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFLW home and away for us concludes on 16 March at Casey Fields v Adelaide. 

Ergo the idea of relocating just the AFLW match day thread to the main board is really only for a short duration.    From my position there are plenty of other threads on here that are of little interest which I ignore or go bananas.  

With the Dees in the stronger Conference A  who knows whether we will make the finals.  I really hope we do.  The bloody Pies (Conference B) might make the finals by default like their 2018 brethren. Horrible thought.

Edited by Meggs
Grammar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DV8 said:

The exposure to the girls game will help it grow, at grass roots levels.   The kids/girls, will be the future of their game... and of the main game as well.

It will all prosper with exposure.

I agree in that they are starting a generation behind where they want and will eventually get to with time.

I suppose it's a case of 'if you build it, they will come'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very easy to set up your account to see every new post on the site.

Exposure would increase on the initial posting but afterwards it would mostly just get buried beneath AFL posts.

I think organic growth from a dedicated section is best long term.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trisul said:

It's very easy to set up your account to see every new post on the site.

Exposure would increase on the initial posting but afterwards it would mostly just get buried beneath AFL posts.

I think organic growth from a dedicated section is best long term.  

For me it should be a 'one cub' , / 'one Denonland' mentality.

We put the Casey chat on the main board and let it run it's course, so why not the same of the women's side. As Trisul suggests, if it doesn't get responded to it just gets pushed down the list - let the people have their say (as they say)..

Personally, I haven't been all that enthused by the AFLW this year so far, but that could quickly change.  I have recorded the Pies game and any time we beat those filth it is worth watching.

Actually looking forward to seeing some improvement from some of those we have like Cunningham, O'Dea & Mithen.  Asides from that and although the standard leaves something to be desired at times, due to the rapid growth of the competition, what a privilege to be watching (and talking about) these pioneering years of the women's game.  There are some here on Demonland that remember the glory days and last premiership(s) of the great MFC, but there isn't anyone who remembers the birth of the club/team it's self - that is the opertunity we have with the women's team at present.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

That is a very sensible compromise and we could see how we go.

Not sure if the site can handle simultaneous threads in both forums but if so that would be a fantastic outcome.

Even the naysayers would have been happy with beating Collingwood at Victoria Park last week.

It does take time for the game to evolve but as we have seen with women's cricket and soccer it can and will happen.

My suggestion above to put the 'AFLW: Rd x vs xxx' (ie the game day) thread on the main board for a week (then it moves to the AFLW board when the next round thread goes on the main board) would mean we wouldn't need the same thread on two boards. 

After a while people would get used to seeing the current Round thread on the main board and know to go to the AFLW board for older threads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Keep them seperate. Those that have interest in it know where it is. 

Too many knee injuries in the AFLW for my liking

I wish any girl all the best playing footy if they want to, but their knees are not as strong as men  

I did see some highlights from Vic Park and there are some good players now, but i just don’t want to see so many knee injuries 

 

Not quite the main reason as i understand it SWYL, it has more to do with Q angle I believe:

https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=9424

On the OP, happy to see women’s footy on main page, given the limited volume of posts there it would likely be a thred on game day and an ongoing discussion thred that are on the main board which is hardly going to be an issue for those not interested

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep them separate. This board’s convoluted enough as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main forum is called Melbourne Demons isn’t it?

Is the women’s team not the Melbourne Demons?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, —coach— said:

Not quite the main reason as i understand it SWYL, it has more to do with Q angle I believe:

https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=9424

On the OP, happy to see women’s footy on main page, given the limited volume of posts there it would likely be a thred on game day and an ongoing discussion thred that are on the main board which is hardly going to be an issue for those not interested

Point taken. But same result. I almost feel ill when i watch the girls play netball, they way the pull up in 2 steps is just insane and so dangerous. 

But once again if the girls are prepared to risk it, i am not in their way

i just can’t watch!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

My suggestion above to put the 'AFLW: Rd x vs xxx' (ie the game day) thread on the main board for a week (then it moves to the AFLW board when the next round thread goes on the main board) would mean we wouldn't need the same thread on two boards. 

After a while people would get used to seeing the current Round thread on the main board and know to go to the AFLW board for older threads.

Yep this is what I came here to say. The logical compromise. Those invested in AFLW enough can go to the AFLW board. But we sure all either be interested or at least not threatened by seeing the game day threads.

Would be a good way to get more people involved in the conversation.

A strong vote for the game day thread to be on the main board please mods.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE LAST POST by George on the Outer

    The Last Post sounded out in memory of the fallen around a packed MCG at the Anzac Eve match against Richmond. The silence of the crowd assembled was in tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. But the Last Post was also an appropriate symbol of the finals aspirations now gone for the Melbourne Football club, after a mere six rounds of the 2019 Season.   How far has this team fallen!  From a Preliminary final contestant barely six months ago, to cellar dwelle

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...