Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

King: Oliver better than Cripps & Bont

Recommended Posts

I was going to ask the question about Oliver and his shoulders last year and how they affected him. Don't remember hearing anything about him having shoulder problems at all (other than him always having them taped). Maybe i missed something. 

As for the article, i have always loathed these comparisons. They hopefully mean nothing to the player himself, and they are really just to fill out media quotas. 

Having said that, I've seen Oliver do things that I've never seen another do. I think we do have someone special here. But a special player without the backing and support of teammates doesn't mean a lot from a team performance basis. Look at Cripps and Carlton, the Bont and WB. 

We are a great side with Oliver in it. Without him we are still a great side, because we have the support. Carlton and WB's are not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I was going to ask the question about Oliver and his shoulders last year and how they affected him. Don't remember hearing anything about him having shoulder problems at all (other than him always having them taped). Maybe i missed something. 

As for the article, i have always loathed these comparisons. They hopefully mean nothing to the player himself, and they are really just to fill out media quotas. 

Having said that, I've seen Oliver do things that I've never seen another do. I think we do have someone special here. But a special player without the backing and support of teammates doesn't mean a lot from a team performance basis. Look at Cripps and Carlton, the Bont and WB. 

We are a great side with Oliver in it. Without him we are still a great side, because we have the support. Carlton and WB's are not.

Yes, we need others to step up to the elite level, instead of watching others do just that.  We have talents, but we need them to become, their own Max'd possibilities.

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

This year we have a team, as well. 

Aye and doesn't that new arrangement make having stars a whole lot more fun? :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said on here before that I think Oliver has the potential to be the greatest player I have ever seen play for our club. King is a bit annoying but I don’t mind him.

I’d take Clarry over Cripps and Bont every day of the week but I am biased. Cripps cannot kick but the Bont can be a match winner. I think Clayton will start to kick more goals this season which will rocket him into being considered in the top few players in the league.

What is scary is that Brayshaw is also getting better and better.

We have the most talent assembled in all of the 30 plus years that I have supported our great club. It’s Go Time!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claret .. 💗 

Kingy could only ignore it for so long, welcome to reality! 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Oliver on his shoulders last year reckons he was only operating at 50% capacity 

Big 2019 coming up...

I’ve got a shoulder injury at the moment from bowling.

Slight tear to a tendon, inflamed bursar and maybe some carteledge damage and potentially some ligament damage too but I haven’t had an MRI to confirm the last two. Carteledge and ligaments require surgery to repair.

In the direction where I need to use the torn tendon I probably have about 30% of my regular strength before quite striking pain kicks in.

Maybe I could push through and have more strength if I had it strapped and jabbed up.

I can absolutely believe given Oliver needed surgery on both shoulders that this could have significantly impacted his ability to get his arms free when getting tackled, handball with full power and tackle with full strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeezNuts said:

Claret .. 💗 

Kingy could only ignore it for so long, welcome to reality! 

 

Yes but Robbo didn't miss him.    Robbo has been ravishing the 'Claret', for ages.

He gets some right, does Robbo.  But leave Goody alone Robbo, hands off now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampers said:

I’ve got a shoulder injury at the moment from bowling.

Slight tear to a tendon, inflamed bursar and maybe some carteledge damage and potentially some ligament damage too but I haven’t had an MRI to confirm the last two. Carteledge and ligaments require surgery to repair.

In the direction where I need to use the torn tendon I probably have about 30% of my regular strength before quite striking pain kicks in.

Maybe I could push through and have more strength if I had it strapped and jabbed up.

I can absolutely believe given Oliver needed surgery on both shoulders that this could have significantly impacted his ability to get his arms free when getting tackled, handball with full power and tackle with full strength.

You better give that lawn bowls a rest young fella. It's a torrid game, I'm told.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I’ve said on here before that I think Oliver has the potential to be the greatest player I have ever seen play for our club. King is a bit annoying but I don’t mind him.

I’d take Clarry over Cripps and Bont every day of the week but I am biased. Cripps cannot kick but the Bont can be a match winner. I think Clayton will start to kick more goals this season which will rocket him into being considered in the top few players in the league.

What is scary is that Brayshaw is also getting better and better.

We have the most talent assembled in all of the 30 plus years that I have supported our great club. It’s Go Time!

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/1997.html#11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lampers said:

I’ve got a shoulder injury at the moment from bowling.

Slight tear to a tendon, inflamed bursar and maybe some carteledge damage and potentially some ligament damage too but I haven’t had an MRI to confirm the last two. Carteledge and ligaments require surgery to repair.

In the direction where I need to use the torn tendon I probably have about 30% of my regular strength before quite striking pain kicks in.

Maybe I could push through and have more strength if I had it strapped and jabbed up.

I can absolutely believe given Oliver needed surgery on both shoulders that this could have significantly impacted his ability to get his arms free when getting tackled, handball with full power and tackle with full strength.

Clarry gets his arms pulled out of their sockets by opposition players as a means of preventing his exceptional handballing and clearance skills. No wonder that shoulder surgery was necessary. They cannot catch him for a body tackle or interrupt his positioning - it is so variable and rapid - and he really does set the pace with play-on moves aplenty for the benefit of his teammates - so opponents will grab at anything - legs, feet, arms, head, neck - to counter him, whilst the umpires do nothing to control the amount and incidence of questionable tackling techniques that must, by sheer volume alone, impede and damage this fine athlete. Despite such attention, Clarry is so skilled in so many areas of his game that these physical assaults still have limited effect and yet another clearance is executed despite GBH attempts. The umpires just 'leave it to Beaver' for his own extrication from GBH incidental injuries.  Just imagine his potentially staggering, positive statistics if free kicks were awarded to him for gross bodily harm violations from opponents!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DV8 said:

That was a great side but what we have now is better in my opinion. Some of those really good player were near the end or not as good as they once were by 97 - Lyon, Schwartz etc.

I think that what we have now is more primed as a team. Just my opinion though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Swimming Dee said:

That was a great side but what we have now is better in my opinion. Some of those really good player were near the end or not as good as they once were by 97 - Lyon, Schwartz etc.

I think that what we have now is more primed as a team. Just my opinion though

We have the makings of a better midfield.

On paper that 97 team list, overall, was much better than we had in 2018... on paper.

 

This current team is better, on culture, etc, and levelheadedness.   No Hollywood about this current setup.

... and back in those days we were infatuated with having best forwards.   Not so midfielders.  This IMV cost us dearly and was a sign we wanted to  bathe in the glory  of goals kicked... instead of bloody hard work in the engine room.

 

Our penchant for looking classy, has hurt us in the pursuit of Premierships.   class instead of hard work will never win the race.  Hard work is the foundation of success.  see Jetta, Harmes, Hibbo, Jones, TMc, Viney, Oli,   Gawn (his class didn't do it, but his change of attitude and work ethic did),,,

a few classy types have left the building recently... and a lot Pre Roosy.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Swimming Dee said:

That was a great side but what we have now is better in my opinion. Some of those really good player were near the end or not as good as they once were by 97 - Lyon, Schwartz etc.

I think that what we have now is more primed as a team. Just my opinion though

Agreed.

The list today is far more talented (on paper) than 1997, more even across the ground, tougher, and with a midfield that is reams ahead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some mighty hate or dispise Kingy, but he was one of the very first pundits to jump on the Dee bandwagon. He was very vocal and encouraging, spruiking the clubs message early doors.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Some mighty hate or dispise Kingy, but he was one of the very first pundits to jump on the Dee bandwagon. He was very vocal and encouraging, spruiking the clubs message early doors.

And sometimes, some are far too  'precious',  for our own good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 97 list had a lot of injured or rehabbing players so that, whilst on paper they looked good, on the ground they were a shadow of their potential.

Remember however that in 98 we made the prelim final with the same group (+Trav and White) who had overcome long term injuries (Lyon, Schwarz, G Lovett, Tingay, Viney) and only failed to make the GF due to a novice coaching error by ND. It should have been our year having beaten crows in an earlier final.

2019 list is more balanced with fewer weaknesses and greater potential.

2020

Go dees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lampers said:

I’ve got a shoulder injury at the moment from bowling.

Slight tear to a tendon, inflamed bursar and maybe some carteledge damage and potentially some ligament damage too but I haven’t had an MRI to confirm the last two. Carteledge and ligaments require surgery to repair.

In the direction where I need to use the torn tendon I probably have about 30% of my regular strength before quite striking pain kicks in.

Maybe I could push through and have more strength if I had it strapped and jabbed up.

I can absolutely believe given Oliver needed surgery on both shoulders that this could have significantly impacted his ability to get his arms free when getting tackled, handball with full power and tackle with full strength.

NO DONT DO IT !!

A jab of Cortisone will provide temporary relief and then with Physio Guided exercises it will be beneficial to your surgery.

If I was you I would have the surgery sooner than later and start rehabbing for next cricket season.

On Clarry .... already a SUPERSTAR

image.png.148cf068b6bcb7214af75b7e92e82288.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Agreed.

The list today is far more talented (on paper) than 1997, more even across the ground, tougher, and with a midfield that is reams ahead.

Our midfield Is so much better and tougher now. Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney are a fearsome core. The hardest in the comp IMO. I believe that we have the best and most even list in the AFL. That doesn’t mean we will get the ultimate glory, it does mean we have a bloody good shot at it though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver is a level above them both.    Baffling how he only got 13 Brownlow vote, and he didnt poll too well the season before either.

This despite being at the coalface, getting 30 damaging touches a game and doing things few players have ever been able to do with his hands and creativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its Brayshaws helmet that makes him stand out among the rest. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a champion, but not that much better than Oliver as taken by the Brownlow votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tiers said:

The 97 list had a lot of injured or rehabbing players so that, whilst on paper they looked good, on the ground they were a shadow of their potential.

Remember however that in 98 we made the prelim final with the same group (+Trav and White) who had overcome long term injuries (Lyon, Schwarz, G Lovett, Tingay, Viney) and only failed to make the GF due to a novice coaching error by ND. It should have been our year having beaten crows in an earlier final.

2019 list is more balanced with fewer weaknesses and greater potential.

2020

Go dees.

Glenn Lovett only played 1 game in 1998.

What was the coaching error by ND?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Glenn Lovett only played 1 game in 1998.

What was the coaching error by ND?

He always had hamstring/soft tissue injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver is a combination of the other two.

I've said for years now that he and Cripps will be the best two midfielders in the league.

Cripps has the physicality but Oliver has more skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    REDEMPTION? by the Oracle

    How much should we be making out of Melbourne’s opening round loss on its home ground against an unfancied team from interstate in Port Adelaide?  The game was barely over before the excuses were coming out that about the lack of preparation of the team, the fact that some players were playing injured or unfit and unable to handle the humidity and the heat, the team’s lack of run and spread, the lack of experience and having too many key players injured or (in the case of Steven May) suspen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...