Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Tom Mitchell out for the season


brendan
 Share


Recommended Posts

Hawk supporters need to reacquire the ability to lose gracefully. Until they do (and it’s a skill that will require decades of practice), they will get little sympathy from me, when the footy Gods do them ill. 

 

Edited by PaulRB
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2019 at 1:20 PM, Wrecker45 said:

Does a year seem a long time for a broken leg? I thought they generally came on quicker than that.

Depends on the break - a spiral fracture of a long leg bone takes 6 weeks to join together - double it for 'consolidation' or getting bone strength back. A transverse fracture - straight across - doubles the time frame. 12 weeks to join hence 24 weeks to get strong.

so six months prior to getting up to reasonable training - how long to get 'AFL level' fit from there? probably better from a long term point of view to wrap the season up and hit pre season next year fully fit

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Proper leg breaks can be major issues.  Gary Rohan, Nathan Brown etc.  Tom might not be the same player.   

as opposed to a fracture where you can be back in 2-3 months is not major.

no way Mitchell plays this year.

name Hawthorn's inside mids after mitchell....    yeah it's not pretty.   they have zero chance of being close to finals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2019 at 2:20 PM, Wrecker45 said:

Does a year seem a long time for a broken leg? I thought they generally came on quicker than that.

Every break is different. I broke my tibia in my early 20's, the break started just above the ankle and went on a sharp angle through the bone and finished just below the knee. The break was several inches long. I was in plaster up to my groin for 16 weeks, they took the plaster off and I still couldn't weight bear. I broke it again the following day while swimming. The second time they kept me in the plaster for 20 weeks. It was another 3 months before I could run again and even then it was only straight lines. Missed 2 years of footy with that injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Hawk supporters need to reacquire the ability to lose gracefully. Until they do (and it’s a skill that will require decades of practice), they will get little sympathy from me, when the footy Gods do them ill. 

 

Sorry PRB. disagree.

they place high value on winning. losing gracefully is OK in amateurs... but not in AFL.  We lose gracefully and have done now for 50+ years.

 

Maybe if we had been un-accepting of our losing, we might not have been through our past unsuccessful history?

 

Is our grace when losing... one part of our acceptance of the same?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, furious d said:

Every break is different. I broke my tibia in my early 20's, the break started just above the ankle and went on a sharp angle through the bone and finished just below the knee. The break was several inches long. I was in plaster up to my groin for 16 weeks, they took the plaster off and I still couldn't weight bear. I broke it again the following day while swimming. The second time they kept me in the plaster for 20 weeks. It was another 3 months before I could run again and even then it was only straight lines. Missed 2 years of footy with that injury.

Was that a Spiral fracture, 'fd' ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, furious d said:

Every break is different. I broke my tibia in my early 20's, the break started just above the ankle and went on a sharp angle through the bone and finished just below the knee. The break was several inches long. I was in plaster up to my groin for 16 weeks, they took the plaster off and I still couldn't weight bear. I broke it again the following day while swimming. The second time they kept me in the plaster for 20 weeks. It was another 3 months before I could run again and even then it was only straight lines. Missed 2 years of footy with that injury.

ouch, fd, that sounds like a nightmare, 36 weeks in plaster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, FarNorthernD said:

There is some risk but I do like the way we are swapping out our high picks for known quantities (Lever/May) who will be automatic, guaranteed and important top 10 players for us. There is bit of the ‘what if’ factor by opting out of the high first round picks and does make draft day a bit dull for us supporters but it does seem the sensible and higher percentage way to go. 

Lower picks have also had their own stand out/generational players too

Danger at pick 10

Rance 18

Fyfe 20

Jono Brown 30

Goodes 43

Scarlett 45

Harvey 47

Swan 58

Hird 79 (although some sort of weird family thing here)

And then a couple of favourites. The park footballer who mistakenly wandered onto an AFL ground, Jeremy McGovern at 74 and Dean Kemp, a 2 X Premiership player, AA, B & F, 243 games and Norm Smith medallist at 119!

By the time he retires our own Max Gawn (34) may possibly be considered the ruckman of this generation too

Weird family was revealed when daddy repeatedly tried to excuse and deflect little boy’s inexcusable carrying on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Weird family was revealed when daddy repeatedly tried to excuse and deflect little boy’s inexcusable carrying on. 

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-saga-allan-hird-hits-out-at-asada-chief-and-government-20160509-goppwl.html

 

It wasn't the players fault.  It was the off field leadership.

That club should still hang its heads in shame.

Edited by DV8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

Sorry PRB. disagree.

they place high value on winning. losing gracefully is OK in amateurs... but not in AFL.  We lose gracefully and have done now for 50+ years.

 

Maybe if we had been un-accepting of our losing, we might not have been through our past unsuccessful history?

 

Is our grace when losing... one part of our acceptance of the same?

 

You've missed his humour, DV8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DV8 said:

Sorry PRB. disagree.

they place high value on winning. losing gracefully is OK in amateurs... but not in AFL.  We lose gracefully and have done now for 50+ years.

Maybe if we had been un-accepting of our losing, we might not have been through our past unsuccessful history?

Is our grace when losing... one part of our acceptance of the same?

 

I think the 'grace when losing' comments were more about not being a pack of sooking 4rseh01e3 who act like they've been cheated out of something they are entitled to.

To put it another way, 'external' grace when losing. Being decent human beings and all that. Which Hawthorn have defintely lost sight of.

Internally, no doubt they take losses hard, but most importantly they turn them into a guide for what to improve.

It is curious, the two personalities of the Hawthorn football club, especially when you look at it from the concept of psychological 'locus of control' - the idea of how much you see your life as being under your control, versus how much you believe things beyond your control will decide things.

Ha! I just realised, Richmond at their worst had a complete reversal of Hawthorn's split internal/external identity. All their players and coaches had too much belief that things were either going to happen 'naturally' or were beyond control, such as draft picks maturing and the predestined super-list stomping along. Meanwhile, the external, all their supporters and coterie people and the like, believed that they could change it all, hence the constant uprisings and interferences.

So what do we learn from this? As supporters we have to accept that we only have a small effect on results, but we must always make sure the players and coaches know that fate is in their own hands.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I think the 'grace when losing' comments were more about not being a pack of sooking 4rseh01e3 who act like they've been cheated out of something they are entitled to.

To put it another way, 'external' grace when losing. Being decent human beings and all that. Which Hawthorn have defintely lost sight of.

Internally, no doubt they take losses hard, but most importantly they turn them into a guide for what to improve.

It is curious, the two personalities of the Hawthorn football club, especially when you look at it from the concept of psychological 'locus of control' - the idea of how much you see your life as being under your control, versus how much you believe things beyond your control will decide things.

Ha! I just realised, Richmond at their worst had a complete reversal of Hawthorn's split internal/external identity. All their players and coaches had too much belief that things were either going to happen 'naturally' or were beyond control, such as draft picks maturing and the predestined super-list stomping along. Meanwhile, the external, all their supporters and coterie people and the like, believed that they could change it all, hence the constant uprisings and interferences.

So what do we learn from this? As supporters we have to accept that we only have a small effect on results, but we must always make sure the players and coaches know that fate is in their own hands.

Expectations and feeling entitled, are close allies with disappointment, arrogance, and the whole boom & bust scenarios.

We live in hope of that carrot being dangled in front of us... and are taught to want that damn carrot, as we grow from infants.

 

I've given up on being good at losing, & a good loser...  and say to hell with that, and...  just say it openly, honestly, as you think/feel it.

Edited by DV8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DV8 said:

Was that a Spiral fracture, 'fd' ?

Not sure to be honest DV8, got all my treatment at St Vincents Hospital and I mostly remember doctors talking to each other rather than me.

23 hours ago, daisycutter said:

ouch, fd, that sounds like a nightmare, 36 weeks in plaster

Only time I've ever lived in an upstairs bedroom was that year dc, not the best year I've ever had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DV8 said:

Ha, your right I didn't see it.

My apologies to PRB.

But my stance remains, about our attitudes of our past.

I don’t think being an a$$hole when you lose implies you are less accepting of the loss than someone who has the class to be gracious in defeat. 

So we’re probably talking at cross purposes on this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes wish Hawthorn all the best in 2019.

Or as they say in the states-"Break a Leg!"

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PaulRB said:

I don’t think being an a$$hole when you lose implies you are less accepting of the loss than someone who has the class to be gracious in defeat. 

So we’re probably talking at cross purposes on this. 

Nobody mentioned being an "a$$hole"... prb.

You know, both Bjorn Borg and John patrick McEnroe,  were both legends to me.  As was Pat Cash.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...