Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

Training - Monday, 17th December, 2018

Recommended Posts

Preuss looks quite a bit bigger (height and body development) than May in these shots. Wonder who is tougher, with mongrel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Preuss looks quite a bit bigger (height and body development) than May in these shots. Wonder who is tougher, with mongrel?

Well Preuss is a ruckman so he is obviously Taller. Preuss is going to be very hard for oppositions to match up on when down forward.

Preuss is 2.06cm

May is 1.90cm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Well Preuss is a ruckman so he is obviously Taller. Preuss is going to be very hard for oppositions to match up on when down forward.

Preuss is 2.06cm

May is 1.90cm

In the clip you posted of Sparrow the other day holding his ground in the tackling drill against Garlett and I think it was Preuss you could hear what sounded like the players/coaches were yelling out ‘Bruiser’. Do we know if Preuss is Bruiser?

Cool nickname if so.

Edited by Dee Zephyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

 

As a Junior coach I always followed the AFL bred philosophy. Train like you play. In this case this would clearly be a free against Petty. Don't see the point of this other than a good philosophical exercise for Nietschke  in practicing body contact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Demonland said:

Thanks for the report @Satyriconhome

When I was at training a few Fridays ago I was looking for the camera on the pole. I noticed the guy behind the goals on the freeway side of the ground with the computer and the joystick but couldn't locate the camera or see a drone in the air.

Would be interesting to know how in depth they are with reviewing the training footage and whether they use it to in meetings with players to improve their craft or training standards.

When I was there last week I was standing next to someone and we identified the drone and couldn't believe how steady it was. Just didn't move. We looked again some time later and it was still rock solid in exactly the same position. I was fascinated then realised why it was so steady. It actually wasn't a drone it was a street lamp.

I'd be taking my training reports with a grain of salt if I get back there again. I now fear I might have given a training report on the Melbourne Storm by accident. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, It's Time said:

When I was there last week I was standing next to someone and we identified the drone and couldn't believe how steady it was. Just didn't move. We looked again some time later and it was still rock solid in exactly the same position. I was fascinated then realised why it was so steady. It actually wasn't a drone it was a street lamp.

I'd be taking my training reports with a grain of salt if I get back there again. I now fear I might have given a training report on the Melbourne Storm by accident. 

 

This post was sponsored by OPSM.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Demonland said:

This post was sponsored by OPSM.

I've got SpecSavers. I better swap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, It's Time said:

When I was there last week I was standing next to someone and we identified the drone and couldn't believe how steady it was. Just didn't move. We looked again some time later and it was still rock solid in exactly the same position. I was fascinated then realised why it was so steady. It actually wasn't a drone it was a street lamp.

I'd be taking my training reports with a grain of salt if I get back there again. I now fear I might have given a training report on the Melbourne Storm by accident.

I didn't realise that the club deployed the drone for training analysis. I thought the marketing/social media department used it for promotion/web content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Screenshot_2018-12-18 Steven May Preuss Pictures and Photos Getty Images.png

Screenshot_2018-12-18 Steven May Preuss Pictures and Photos Getty Images(1).png

Screenshot_2018-12-18 Steven May Preuss Pictures and Photos Getty Images(2).png

Screenshot_2018-12-18 Steven May Preuss Pictures and Photos Getty Images(3).png

Judging by the number of photos posted in the last 4 weeks of Preuss versus May there is no way that Goody isn’t locked in on Preuss spending time forward as the 3rd tall.  Hopefully it works well all season.  Will be really valuable in low scoring finals.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Judging by the number of photos posted in the last 4 weeks of Preuss versus May there is no way that Goody isn’t locked in on Preuss spending time forward as the 3rd tall.  Hopefully it works well all season.  Will be really valuable in low scoring finals.

I'm convinced that plan A is for him to start as a forward relieving Maxy in the ruck. Hopefully it works because it will definitely benefit both TMac and Weid's games as well as Maxys and going a long way to mitigating the loss of Jesse.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like "Bruiser" as a nickname for Preuss so I will use it.

Game plans for forward lines are often based on trying to create "imbalances" between direct opponents to obtain clear positional or team advantage for one team, even if only for short periods until the opposition responds.

206 cm tall Bruiser playing on anyone is going to be an imbalance. Will he demand the attention of the biggest/strongest defender thus relieving pressure on TMac and Weid or will he be manned by the second/third defender in the hope that he does not create havoc by his size and strength?

Will he act as a decoy for TMac and Weid or will he play as a backstop in the goal square where his height and strength could be decisive in marking contests? How does the coach prevent all three contesting and spoiling each other?

Given that he would ordinarily be one of three talls all requiring attention, it would be hard for defences to multi team him, or his teammates,  in contests as used to happen to Jesse when he was one out.

And from all accounts, he is a genuine ruckman/follower who might allow Maxie the time and space to be even more influential.

Nice problem to have for us. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonland said:

Well Preuss is a ruckman so he is obviously Taller. Preuss is going to be very hard for oppositions to match up on when down forward.

Preuss is 2.06cm

May is 1.90cm

Here is a Footywire page relevant to Weight of players...  showing both our rucks at the top.

Followed by some Macks and May's... and other surprises  as well.

looksee

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-melbourne-demons?year=2019&sby=8

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, It's Time said:

When I was there last week I was standing next to someone and we identified the drone and couldn't believe how steady it was. Just didn't move. We looked again some time later and it was still rock solid in exactly the same position. I was fascinated then realised why it was so steady. It actually wasn't a drone it was a street lamp.

I'd be taking my training reports with a grain of salt if I get back there again. I now fear I might have given a training report on the Melbourne Storm by accident. 

 

Hah,   'the Old camera in the streetlamp trick'... hey 'IT'... 

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

Judging by the number of photos posted in the last 4 weeks of Preuss versus May there is no way that Goody isn’t locked in on Preuss spending time forward as the 3rd tall.  Hopefully it works well all season.  Will be really valuable in low scoring finals.

Well Hogan wasn't any good when locked in under the long bomb...  Jesse needed to roam in space.

 

Preuss will be very good for,  'deeFlea' department.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I'm convinced that plan A is for him to start as a forward relieving Maxy in the ruck. Hopefully it works because it will definitely benefit both TMac and Weid's games as well as Maxys and going a long way to mitigating the loss of Jesse.

Also, I think If/When at Casey, he will rotate spots with Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Also, I think If/When at Casey, he will rotate spots with Austin.

If the Preuss experiment works Austin will have his work cut out for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Demonland said:

If the Preuss experiment works Austin will have his work cut out for him.

My comment is about looking to the future development of Austin.

I don't think we will play the 2 senior rucks in every AFL match. 

Austin, I think, will be a 3 Year at least, development.  I see him sharing duties in some VFL games with Preussy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiers said:

I like "Bruiser" as a nickname for Preuss so I will use it.

Game plans for forward lines are often based on trying to create "imbalances" between direct opponents to obtain clear positional or team advantage for one team, even if only for short periods until the opposition responds.

206 cm tall Bruiser playing on anyone is going to be an imbalance. Will he demand the attention of the biggest/strongest defender thus relieving pressure on TMac and Weid or will he be manned by the second/third defender in the hope that he does not create havoc by his size and strength?

Will he act as a decoy for TMac and Weid or will he play as a backstop in the goal square where his height and strength could be decisive in marking contests? How does the coach prevent all three contesting and spoiling each other?

Given that he would ordinarily be one of three talls all requiring attention, it would be hard for defences to multi team him, or his teammates,  in contests as used to happen to Jesse when he was one out.

And from all accounts, he is a genuine ruckman/follower who might allow Maxie the time and space to be even more influential.

Nice problem to have for us. 

The converse, of course, is that opposition defences may be able to clear the ball more quickly because what they might lack in height they may make up for in speed and ground-ball play. That's not to criticise the strategy of playing three talls. It just reminds us what we'll be up against.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The converse, of course, is that opposition defences may be able to clear the ball more quickly because what they might lack in height they may make up for in speed and ground-ball play. That's not to criticise the strategy of playing three talls. It just reminds us what we'll be up against.

Maybe but I’ll back Max and Preuss to lay more forward 50 tackles than Hogan did last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Demonland said:

Well Preuss is a ruckman so he is obviously Taller. Preuss is going to be very hard for oppositions to match up on when down forward.

Preuss is 2.06cm

May is 1.90cm

Steven May  
#1   Melbourne Demons
Age: 26yr 11mth    Games: 123     Born: January 10, 1992    
Height: 193cm     Weight: 102kg     Position: Defender

May is listed at 193 cms in most articles. 

Edited by Redleg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redleg said:
Steven May  
#1   Melbourne Demons
Age: 26yr 11mth    Games: 123     Born: January 10, 1992    
Height: 193cm     Weight: 102kg     Position: Defender

May is listed at 193 cms in most articles. 

Demons website has him at 193cm.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/player-profile/steven-may

Google search of Steven May height had him at 190cm.

Perhaps taken from the Gold Coast website which no longer has him on the Players list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s nothing that I could find on the club’s site to suggest that there is a training session on today but that doesn’t mean much given that I thought they had shut up shop with last Friday’s training session.

The site does say that there’s training on a Gosch’s Paddock on Friday at 9.30am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There’s nothing that I could find on the club’s site to suggest that there is a training session on today but that doesn’t mean much given that I thought they had shut up shop with last Friday’s training session.

The site does say that there’s training on a Gosch’s Paddock on Friday at 9.30am.

None of the preseason Wednesday sessions have been listed on the site this year as they are classified as Closed Sessions. 

That hasn't stopped some sneaky posters finding away to report on them. 

I'll start a thread later and hopefully one of our intrepid spies manages to gain access. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...