Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Injury List - Season 2019

Chelly

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Joel Smith - from a 4 week injury in mid March to gone for the whole season. FMD.

Yep, because sometimes injuries are like that. And you don't have to look at Smith, the Joe Daniher case is typical. Not all bodies respond to the same treatment in the same way and over the same time frame. If they did, most doctors would be out of business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone recall if Stretch was one of the held over emergencies for the QB game?

I seem to remember he was, if that’s the case his foot was good up to that point so the latest flare up, whatever it may be, has happened over the bye round or shortly after. No blame, just rotten luck and a tad deflating to see a few more players added to the list. 

3 hours ago, Gawn's Beard said:

I can only assume the club was well aware of the issue before the game, and had been managing it accordingly. Yes it flared up during the game, but given it is an overuse injury the damage was well and truly done before he went back out on the ground. 

In saying this, I’m not a medical professional so ?‍♂️

massive assumption!  If anything that would make it an even worse error of judgement in letting him play, then not come off.  

Literally the definition of overuse.

3 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I have medical qualifications and I remember yelling at the screen - get him off. It beggars belief that he played on. 

I have legal qualifications and I remember yelling at the screen " get him off or else".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I have legal qualifications and I remember yelling at the screen " get him off or else".

I have neither legal or medical qualifications but  I sat with my  mouth open ( when I wasn’t swearing at the tv)  in some shock as we let  Joel run around fr a half hardly able to move. Forget about all else,  that gave us the look of an amateur club . It also revealed our sports medicos as amateur. We’ve done some dumb things as a club w injuries in the past  but this was up there w the best of them. Hope he gets a new contract and returns to full fitness. I’m amazed how angry this still makes me tbh. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

[censored]

OP is caused my high acute stress pressure on his groin. Which he would have felt a sharp twinge. Joel comes and complains of sharp pains in his groins, club then sends him back out and the pain worsens as the day goes on. That's where the OP would have started.

Don't give me the whole going back on the ground did nothing [censored]. It worsened because he was sent back out.

I’m a Physio and although it looked horrible and definitely shouldn’t have been done for the look of the club, it really wouldn’t have worsened the injury. Comes from overuse and not a specific incident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Oh here we go with the you have no medical qualifications so you no right of an opinion.. [censored]

I battled OP for 6 years running on and off. It's only the past 12 months that i am finally pain free and able to play a full game without any groin soreness. I was too to take time off and instead tried to push through the pain barrier each only to make it worse and worse.

I dont need medical qualifications, i have had millions of advice and information over the journey from physio and docs about this one particular injury.

I have it to DD. There is nothing really you can do but rest and  do targeted muscle strengthening. I don't play footy any more but I am very active GYM RUNNING ROWING  and this is purely down to over use and as I have been told some constructive weakness in the design of my body.

I doubt it was made worse but I do know rest is the only cure. I don't think he should have played on on the day. I wish Joel a good recovery and look forward to seeing him well and playing great footy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bing181 said:

It could be one week, it could be 3-4 weeks: on the information we have at the moment it's too early to say, and we'll see how it evolves over the next week or so at which time, with more information, we'll be able to make a more definitive prognosis.

What's so difficult to understand here? Have none of you ever been to a doctor? 

Oh please. In isolation you're right about about the difficulty of accurate prediction of time out. But this was yet another example of terrible communication from the club about injury. Also the way misso said it sounded completely unprofessional. He made it sound as if the medical team had no real influenceon how quickly he recovered from the injury (which to be fair might be true) and that anyone's guess is as good as theirs.

Remember he was supposedly in line to play against freo. 3 days out misso says he was injured against the pies 10 days before. Ridiculously I read that had happened on Demonland (Lord nev I think) before the club deigned to keep irs supporters informed.

If injured in the pies game why was he not in the offical post game injury report? Why was he not on any mfc injury list for the next week and half when misso pulls a mystery injury out of the hat? And for that matter why was it only then we found out that variety had dislocated his shoulder at training  on an unspecified date. 

Why? Because we think it is ok to provide fans, the club's key stakeholders with rubbish comms..

Okay lets accept the premise that at that point they didn't have enough information to definitively say lever would be right for the brisbane game, or give any clear time frame for thst matter. Then why say he was a chance for the lions game? Why not do the prudent thing and say it is not it clear, we won't rush him and it could anything up to 3-4 weeks - anything sooner is a bonus (but possible). You know manage expectations. Communication 101. It is totally amateur hour.

No who knows he might have got up for the lions game but very few people would have been surprised he didn't. And very few people will be surprised if the 1-2 week prognosis (which magically they now can give ie give a definitive time frame) turns out to be another 3-4 weeks. This all from a so called professional club.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I have it to DD. There is nothing really you can do but rest and  do targeted muscle strengthening. I don't play footy any more but I am very active GYM RUNNING ROWING  and this is purely down to over use and as I have been told some constructive weakness in the design of my body.

I doubt it was made worse but I do know rest is the only cure. I don't think he should have played on on the day. I wish Joel a good recovery and look forward to seeing him well and playing great footy

Yep exactly what i had to do. Issue is I would rest, do the required physio work, get cleared, then within 5 minutes of the game could feel the soreness already and that's me done for the match. I would have to start my warm up first quarter of the reserves just to make sure it's properly warmed up. 

Only was last year that i decided to take the 2nd half of the year off to completely rest and let it recover.

17 hours ago, chookrat said:

To those saying we should have taken Joel Smith off the ground, we had a JLT cup game to win and he kicked 4 while planted in the goal square. I don't see what the problem is. 

Quite right - and we needed the 4 points at the time too!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deeman said:

Quite right - and we needed the 4 points at the time too!

I think you only get 2 for a JLT game. Having said that Goody decided to up the degree of difficulty and went into the game with less players than the opposition so we might actually have missed out on 6 points. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, Dees2014 said:

That’s 13 off our list, and seven certainties for the senior team. Says a lot about our predicament.

Seven certainties? I can find four - Melksham, Lever, Jetta and Hibberd. I'll guess that your other three are Garlett, J Smith and Vandenburg. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. However, I don't think any of them are "certainties", although I would accept Vandenburg in the "very likely" category.

• Like 1

SPEEDY St Kilda forward Dean Kent looks in doubt for Sunday afternoon's crunch clash with Richmond after hurting himself at training.

During match simulation at RSEA Park, Kent kicked the football after a mark and then went down to the ground in pain.

The nature of the injury is not yet known, but his prognosis will be confirmed after scans on Thursday afternoon.

It marks yet another blow for the club, which has endured a wretched run with injuries this year.

Lucky he left...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Skin Deeamond said:

SPEEDY St Kilda forward Dean Kent looks in doubt for Sunday afternoon's crunch clash with Richmond after hurting himself at training.

During match simulation at RSEA Park, Kent kicked the football after a mark and then went down to the ground in pain.

The nature of the injury is not yet known, but his prognosis will be confirmed after scans on Thursday afternoon.

It marks yet another blow for the club, which has endured a wretched run with injuries this year.

Lucky he left...

Damn ... he went to St Kilda?

I was wondering what happened to him.

10 hours ago, Demonland said:

I think you only get 2 for a JLT game. Having said that Goody decided to up the degree of difficulty and went into the game with less players than the opposition so we might actually have missed out on 6 points. 

I'd love to see us go in with 20 during the regular season, mix it up a little. 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

Yep exactly what i had to do. Issue is I would rest, do the required physio work, get cleared, then within 5 minutes of the game could feel the soreness already and that's me done for the match. I would have to start my warm up first quarter of the reserves just to make sure it's properly warmed up. 

Only was last year that i decided to take the 2nd half of the year off to completely rest and let it recover.

Cheers DD

Hope you recover fully after your 6 months rest

21 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Helmets don't stop your brain from rattling around inside your skull.

Not the helmet argument again.

Helmets can reduce the acceleration rate of the brain at impact.

There is no research that says helmets do not reduce the rate of brain injury.

There is plenty of research that says helmet do not prevent brain injury.

I think a reduction of brain injury is worth wearing a helmet in susceptible people.

I repeat, I know helmets do not prevent brain injury any reduction is good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1