Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Injury List - Season 2019

Chelly

I've resigned myself to not having our best 22 available till after the bye (barring no other injuries).

Can't wait for the day when our best 22 actually get to play together. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

If that’s the case what was the point of getting him? And giving up so much in the process! I can see this turning to [censored] very quickly

cos like chip, he's got the hallmarks of an all-australian defender?

i didn't mean that as a knock on may, at all

but in terms of comparable players, may is arguably a better kick, but both very similar in the grand scheme of things in terms of what they bring to the side - strength and agility 1:1, as well as a tough attitude

frawley gets injured / suspended less tho, and has one more all oz guernsey already

9 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

but in terms of comparable players, may is arguably a better kick, but both very similar in the grand scheme of things in terms of what they bring to the side - strength and agility 1:1, as well as a tough attitude

frawley gets injured / suspended less tho, and has one more all oz guernsey already

What?

what??

Say what???

40 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Yep, and a premiership medal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

On Joel Smith:

“Joel’s still settling down. He’s been progressing pretty well, but he hasn’t started running yet. We’ll probably give him another week or so before he does that, then he’ll need probably two to three weeks at least to reload, but again, his rehab plans and return to play plans are still a bit up in the air.”

So assuming no further set backs that looks like a minimum of four weeks before he is even ready to resume full training. So say another 2-3 weeks of training and then you'd think he's come back via the VFL. Best case scenario is he's available for the seniors in rounds 10-11. That's with everything going well. Any hiccups and we may not see him until rounds 12-13 or later.  Great. Just great.

And from all accounts, totally preventable. 

• Like 1

Round 3 injury list:

Jeff Garlett (shoulder) – available
Charlie Spargo (jaw) – 1 week
Steven May (groin) – TBC
Jordan Lewis (hamstring) – 1-2 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg (foot) – 3-5 weeks  
Joel Smith (groin) – TBA
Mitch Hannan (knee) – 6-8 weeks
Jake Lever (knee) – 6-8 weeks
Jay Kennedy Harris (knee) – 10-12 weeks
Guy Walker (shoulder) – indefinite
Aaron Nietschke (knee) – season

I find it incredulous May arriving at the Club not realising that he was unfit and what was required re training at an AFL level. His response to Lyons criticism was not very convincing and raises questions re the due diligence of the recruiters. It seems like this year there will be a lot of doubts about how much continuity he will be able to achieve in playing.

I still shake my head about Joel Smith being allowed to play on with that injury.

38 minutes ago, DubDee said:

How so? He did the injury during a jlt game

He was put back on the ground which exacerbated his injury, hence the substantial time out. A 2-3 week injury becomes 12. Totally unprofessional from the medical/fitness/coaching staff to allow this to happen. We now have 6, possibly 7, of our best 22 out with injury. What other club is dealing with at present? And it all cannot be bad luck. 

To say I am a little disillusioned at present would be the understatement of the century. This club has virtually promised us success, first with Roos, then the succession to Goodwin. But they keep f..........g it up with poor decisions and player management. 

This Friday night will tell us a lot.

16 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I still shake my head about Joel Smith being allowed to play on with that injury.

And he had a great preseason to ..... was gonna hit Round 1 in form.  And we need another marking target up forward.

If the groin injury lingers, there should be hell to pay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

He was put back on the ground which exacerbated his injury, hence the substantial time out. A 2-3 week injury becomes 12. Totally unprofessional from the medical/fitness/coaching staff to allow this to happen. We now have 6, possibly 7, of our best 22 out with injury. What other club is dealing with at present? And it all cannot be bad luck. 

To say I am a little disillusioned at present would be the understatement of the century. This club has virtually promised us success, first with Roos, then the succession to Goodwin. But they keep f..........g it up with poor decisions and player management. 

absolutely ridiculous call from the club at the time... not sure why HE even allowed it to happen, he could barely move!

22 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

unfortunately, like eddie mcguire with his disparaging comments of anyone and everyone he deems 'below' him, may is a recidivist when it comes to a) not being fit and b) getting suspended

he's too small (height-wise) for modern forwards, many of who are lightning quick 200cm+ athletic freaks

may is no better / no worse than chip frawley

You reckon he singled her out because she is a woman and therefore 'below him'?  That's a big call.  I don't think any of his major gaffes have been for those reasons, just dumb comments without thinking.  I.E his 'old campaigner' comment to Kane Cornes... who happens to be a white male.

By the way, does someone become immune from being included in a bit of light criticism over their coin tossing ability when they lose their legs?  What a ridiculous beat up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

I didn't know that was fact that he made the injury worse by playing on. 

he did the injury and they put him back on. most likely is the injury was done and him playing on didnt make it worse. 

and the club has virtually promised us success?? wtf man?!   Roos/PJ etc took from a laughing stock to a decent team.  get a grip.  nothing is guarenteed

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I didn't know that was fact that he made the injury worse by playing on. 

he did the injury and they put him back on. most likely is the injury was done and him playing on didnt make it worse. 

and the club has virtually promised us success?? wtf man?!   Roos/PJ etc took from a laughing stock to a decent team.  get a grip.  nothing is guarenteed

How is that the "most likely" event Dub? Of all the possibilities re continuing to play with a groin strain, that one seems to me the LEAST likely. It was a staggering piece of mismanagement that we're paying for right now. Still makes me angry thinking about it. 

7 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

How is that the "most likely" event Dub? Of all the possibilities re continuing to play with a groin strain, that one seems to me the LEAST likely. It was a staggering piece of mismanagement that we're paying for right now. Still makes me angry thinking about it. 

it's most likely to me as I've done groins and if you hobble around after doing it, it hasnt made mine worse.  you need to stride out.  its a guess but imo a better guess than him making the injury worse after being assessed by medical professionals.

2 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

You got any evidence of this?

• Like 2

Point is it’s a 10-12 week injury now. Which as far as groins go is quite a bad one and deservedly raises questions . Either he had already done it badly in which case he still shouldn’t have been back on the ground anyway . Or playing on made it worse. Either way there is a ZERO case for playing a hobbling player in a frikn Practice match. 

We will never know if Smith playing out the game worsened the injury.

But I am quite confidant him playing in the last few weeks would not have given us wins.  There are bigger issues in our forward line structure and tactics than him not being available. 

What the Smith injury shows is how shallow our forward line depth is.  For all their faults, we have given up Watts, Hogan and Kent.  No complaints about those moves but we simply don't have the depth to cover their collective absence, yet.  It will take time.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Speculation.

I agree it's speculation,  but having him out on the ground in a nothing pre season game when he was clearly injured is nothing short of diabolical, not to mention playing with a squad 2 men down which led to players spending more TOG than they were intended to due to losing 2 players to injury before halftime.

• Like 2

I saw Smith undertaking a fitness test of sorts during the second quarter on the boundary line at Casey Fields. He could barely jog and looked terrible.

The club should've put a line through him then and there. Not good enough from the fitness department to allow him to return and not good enough from the coaching staff by not exercising some caution/conservatism in a meaningless practice match. I know we had other injuries during the game but you ca't jeopardise the home and away season.

I thought we were over amateur hour at the MFC. 

• Like 2