Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Dee Dee

Gary Pert?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t blame Pert at all...

this is far more Football Department problems at this Point. But as CEO he now has to go flat out to get it sorted

Good call. Pert has overseen 52k membership and new balance resign. He gets a pass this year easily. His ceo clout will now be on display getting FD into shape. That will be his test next 12 months. If viney and jones are still skippers  then thats a failure at the first tough decision.

Time will tell 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

I would thought the credit there lies with the Marketing Dept TPF.

And they answer to and directed by .....?

Oh thats right. The CEO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Wouldn't that be Mahoney's responsibility as GM of football?

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Actually I do a family member was Marketing Manager at a successful AFL Club for 20 years. He was responsible for attracting what is the longest running sponsorship in the league. His job, his initiative brought the sponsor in, he was rewarded and still is acknowledged for it. Not the long forgotten CEO of the time.

 

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

If Members hold back on next years payment, we will get honesty. It will just take a little time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The years been a disaster, an average of nine goals worse per game is dreadful! But that’s not a Pert issue!

McArtney, Mission and others will go, lets see who else goes before laying blame!

Agree with others that Chaplin hasn’t got through message to the backline, similar whoever is responsible for mids not running both ways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

 

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

Bosses man eh. Yes, sir. Another on ignore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

I have changed my view on Pert 'abdicating' the review to Mahoney.  On listening to the Inside Melbourne podcast...

...Pert says he is involved in the review and the conversations related to Structures, People and Resources.  I take this as he being the driver of the review so I no longer think he has 'abdicated' it. 

I am relieved as it allays my concerns that Mahoney is reviewing his own patch.  Mahoney is a conduit, albeit an important one in the review process but my take from from interview is Pert is the one directing the show and probably having the last say.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

Edited by Demonsone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

Pert gets paid more than the Prime Minister. No one is asking for him to meddle. We are asking for him to do his job and oversee what has gone wrong so it does not continue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, old dee said:

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our response and plan for 666 was

Hunt, up and down player

AVB   chronic history of injury and not getting on the park

KK   chronic history of concussion.

We were caught out in planning but more so not previously putting any focus on the importance of the wing when you play home games at the G.

He could have added our game plan was a sort of cheating style, not in the literal sense but in the same way as a forward runs forward of the ball. It was bound to have a short life and be pulled apart like a magic trick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

This was the comment that bothers me. 

What the hell did Goodwin do last Summer? Did he expect to just get better or was he out of ideas post the Preliminary Final debacle?

Minimal match simulation with new rules introduced !!! What an absolute wasted year...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

Remember that period before Roos? They can be worse. The MFC rarely makes two good decisions in a row.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

Some people have very short memories about Pert and Collingwood the fact was Pert was asked by the board of Collingwood to do that job that is why Buckley is there as coach.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, It's Time said:

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

and I will. if he is half as clever as he's made out to be ...and has some real cohunas his first act in the job would have been to advise the same said board to hold their fire for a little while. After all he has far more experience in the running of footy than his board members.

He signed off on it...he wears it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 5

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...