Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Foxtel Sports aka Kayo

Diamond_Jim

Have the Telstra tv box on our TV and used it for Foxtel now last year, worked fine. It has already downloaded the Kayo app automatically for use. Haven't checked it out yet but certainly will before the footy season starts.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:41 PM, Smokey said:

Have been giving kayo a whirl for the past few weeks watching NCAA football. Foxtel has now been cancelled permanently. Highly recommend this service, it's simply incredible. 

Can I ask what speed your internet is running at? Are you on NBN?

5 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Have progressed from IQ3 to Foxtel Now and finally with Kayo.  

Value wise it simply cant be beat, I used it through the beta testing and they have constantly been improving the product and stability.  4K is an inevitability but makes complete sense that they are providing a product that most can use now.  Given the limited content available in 4K, it wasnt a consideration to me, but maybe it is for others.

The monopoly that Fox have on sports in Australia will continue to crumble and their only hope is to offer a sports streaming option that will eventually be competed with (similar to the US).

Given the two week trial and the lack of contracts, I'd encourage anyone to give it a go.  Similar to Netflix you can get two screens (or users) for $25 and an additional for $35/month

FYI - I have FTTB via TPG.

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hi Matt

this article may be helpful to you. It suggests you need a minimum steady speed of just under 8mbs to enjoy Kayo in HD.

https://www.finder.com.au/kayo-data-usage

Interestingly enough I was reading elsewhere that if we ever see 4k streaming it will require a speed of 20mbs. I also saw a comment saying that a 4k television camera costs around A$1M so I doubt we will be seeing much 4k content. And of course they are just about to release 8k televisions. Boy this area has come a long way fast.

Here's the article about why we don't see much 4k streaming. The comments are very instructive.

https://www.residentialsystems.com/blogs/2018-finally-be-year-4k-broadcast-tv-content

Thanks for the info mate, I'm on an nbn plan and speed sits around 18 - 20mbs depending on time of day. 

My nba league pass struggles sometimes so I'm a little concerned kayo may do the same but i guess i won't know til i sign up. I'm also waiting for the smart tv app.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:04 AM, Matt Demon said:

I live rural near Bungendore in NSW and am forced to use satellite based NBN services. For the most part, it holds its own and only sometimes do I experience temporary drops in picture quality. I normally watch sport on my big iPad, so I can't speak to the quality of accessing the service over my connection via a browser. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just another update...

apparently kayo released a tweet in the last couple of days saying they were still working on the Android TV app.... (said they want to get it perfect... which makes sense.)

Most comments on the Whirlpool site are favourable. There are sound synchronisation issues with some devices seems to be the most prevalent complaint.

Still looking very good as an investment for the upcoming season.

Cheers from Bangladesh !

15 hours ago, loges said:

Has anyone used it via Telstra tv. It appears the app has already downloaded on the system but I haven't given it a try yet?

yes, i use it thru telstra tv

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

19 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i find it a patchy experience tbh; but i think that's my internet connectivity (adsl at sub-7mb/ps) rather than the service itself

when my internet has nothing else running it - as in no one else is streaming video - it runs in hd perfectly

it's speedier / more current than the foxtel now app on telstra tv, which i tend to find out the score change via official / unofficial apps before it happens on screen

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yep there's a lot of discussion about the needed speed on the whirlpool site.

People say why is it not like Netflix. According to the experts it is the refresh rate of sport that requires more bandwidth.

7mbs is right on the margin if I recall and 13mbs should get very good definition.. I think

Looking forward to trying the service when my internet goes beyond its present 3 or 4mbs with lots of drop outs...grrrrrrrrr

yeat, that

also, it's live - netflix is not 'live', it's just pulling down static video from servers

live video is a very different kettle of fish 

12 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Thanks Foxtel Now worked fine last year so hopefully Telstra Tv will too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2763582?p=215

34 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

According to the Whirlpool site the Android TV app will be available prior to season start.

I can imagine they are having trouble making the app compatible with all makes of TV. If it is anything like the ABC app and Samsung TV's I can understand.

The other thing that is becoming obvious is that they are not offering the full Foxtel with all its bells and whistles. It is the Foxtel Now product with perhaps better HD. As such you get channel 7 coverage if they are broadcasting an AFL match (including ads) and no easy recording.

The whirlpool discussion on Kayo is now over 200 pages ! Plenty of discussion on the playing media along with syncing issues.

Thank you Mr DJ

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Just thought I'd check how everyone who signed up was going with this? I'm contemplating signing up, (and ditching Foxtel) but want to do the trial and hope they finish the app soon. Anyone know if it'll be ready for the start of the season??

On that I know Chromecast seems the way to go but are there other streaming devices out there?  Does Telstra tv work if you're not one of there customers? I know there are other forums out there on this but they are 50+ pages long so hard to find these answers and thought someone here might know

Signed up the week it was released...

Cancelled my Foxtel subscription 2 days later...

Onward and upward!

• Like 1

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

For this season I’ll be sticking with ‘traditional’ Foxtel. I rang them today to get a better deal and after threatening to cancel I settled on paying $29 a month for IQ3, this is for the Entertainment package, Sports channels and HD. If you’re in a similar boat and only have Foxtel for AFL give them a call and save yourself a few bucks. 

Thats a good deal. What's the card rate for all of that?

47 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Thats a good deal. What's the card rate for all of that?

$65 (per my last bill). 

So they came down to $29 without HD and wanted an extra $10 for HD. I wasn’t paying the extra and they eventually caved in. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Hey Diamond... can you advise on a mobile with sim only ISP......  that is good for live streaming.

I am over Telstra. and the inconsistent speeds...  even sometimes just trying to open pages...  and Optus have made big changes recently out here.

I'm looking to change, but want some decent speeds, and consistency.

I may be streaming for my first time...  via mobile or dongle?

#edit:  buy the way have you been a DJ ?

Edited by DV8

On 11/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Normal Foxtel is dying anyway, this will save them.

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

12 hours ago, A F said:

It won't if they up their prices. I pay $15 a month for Optus Sports (EPL, UCL and cricket). I understand there's more sport on Kayo, but it's not a competitive good enough price at $25 a month. I pay basically $10 each for Stan, Netflix and Prime. They're competitive. FOXTEL is not competitive as we know. I pay $80+ a month and barely even watch it.

You might be right but Kayo like Netflix is a different product to Foxtel.

Foxtel required a physical boxto be delivered, long term contracts etc. It wasn't an impromptu purchase by any means.

On the other hand Netflix and the modern streaming apps are just click a few times on your phone and you're away.

Sorry DV8 I'm no expert on mobile sim plans but have a look at this section of Whirlpool.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

PS the closest I ever came to being a DJ was playing the Hot August Night album at full volume !!

• Haha 1