Jump to content

KC from Casey

Casey Demons: 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Interesting to know where Tom Freeman plays in 2019.  I was impressed with him in the 4-5 games late in the season. 

Also Casey could not attract any ex Afl listed players. Thought our Casey alignment showed a pathway back like Corey Wagner showed. 

Did Casey sign a ruckman Norm? Don't know anything about the new players except Tynan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Old Bear said:

Can’t see Lewis in our best 22 if we have improved 

Do you think his Ego will let him spend the majority of the season at Casey

Now that Mitchell has rushed back to the sanctuary of the nest maybe Clarko will steer Lewis up to Brizzy too !

MFC has propped up the Dawks for years its all really been about jobs for the boys

Tom $cullie right may the downhill slide continue to gain momentum

I'm sure Clarko once said a coach shouldn't stay more than 10 years but now he's got the Dingley challenge of course !

May " comeback Jeff " continue the mayhem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, daisycutter said:

and sheedy was the complete opposite. recruited from prahran as a young liston trophy winning centreman, quickly reinvented as a backpocket 

Fact check - Sheedy did not win a Liston Trophy. Actually he was tied to Melbourne & trained with a the Club a few times.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Fact check - Sheedy did not win a Liston Trophy. Actually he was tied to Melbourne & trained with a the Club a few times.

my mistake franky. but he did finish 2nd in the 1966 vfa liston trophy aged 18, the year before he transferred to richmond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Did Casey sign a ruckman Norm? Don't know anything about the new players except Tynan.

Most recruits are utility types, midfielders and running defenders.  Buxton-Wales is a young ruckman from Vermont.  Casey will be a running  type side.  McCaffrey could be a steal.  Former Swans academy player (now 21) with 3 years in Country footy. Strong running mid. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Most recruits are utility types, midfielders and running defenders.  Buxton-Wales is a young ruckman from Vermont.  Casey will be a running  type side.  McCaffrey could be a steal.  Former Swans academy player (now 21) with 3 years in Country footy. Strong running mid. 

Saw Buxton-Wales in a final at Bayswater (when down from Brissie for cats final) for Vermont against Sth Croydon and he looks a good type. Would not surprise if he gets a few games as a ruckman with Bradke in support. That is if Pruess plays ones.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 10:22 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Interesting to know where Tom Freeman plays in 2019.  I was impressed with him in the 4-5 games late in the season. 

Also Casey could not attract any ex Afl listed players. Thought our Casey alignment showed a pathway back like Corey Wagner showed. 

 

Mentioned last night that Darcy Fritsch, brother of Bayley, is training with Casey Demons. Former Dandenong Stingray Jack Harmes, brother of James, is also training at Casey. Meanwhile James and Tom Freeman are among the many returning Demons players.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:11 AM, WERRIDEE said:

VFL update: A word from the coach

CASEY DEMONS 

B: LOCKHART, FROST, HORE

HB: HUNT, PETTY, J.WAGNER

C : STRETCH, MAYNARD, BAKER

HF: KENNEDY HARRIS, KEILTY, HANNAN

F: GARLETT, T.SMITH, J.SMITH

FOLL: BUXTON-WALES, SPARROW, C.WAGNER

IC: HUTCHINS, WHITE, MUNRO, MACHAYA

EMERG: TYNAN, VELLA, MCCAFFERY, GENT

INJ:  LEVER

OUT: BRADTKE, JORDON, NEITCHKE, BEDFORD, CHANDLER, WALKER, M.LEWIS, STOCKDALE, TAYLOR, GAHAN, LOWDEN

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 60 players confirmed on MFC and Casey lists.  Not sure many of the Casey boys get a run unless we cop injuries.  Hope we don’t but get a chance to rotate our youngsters in their first year.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, daisycutter said:

my mistake franky. but he did finish 2nd in the 1966 vfa liston trophy aged 18, the year before he transferred to richmond

Sorry mate but either its an urban myth or you made it up.-

1966 was Alan Poore's (Waverley) second consecutive Liston Trophy, and he became the first player ever to win the award twice. Paul Ladds (Sandringham) was second with 27 votes, and Barry Ion (Yarraville) was third with 26 votes.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Sorry mate but either its an urban myth or you made it up.-

1966 was Alan Poore's (Waverley) second consecutive Liston Trophy, and he became the first player ever to win the award twice. Paul Ladds (Sandringham) was second with 27 votes, and Barry Ion (Yarraville) was third with 26 votes.

you are quite right, and i was hopelessly and embarrassingly wrong, franky

after your previous query i did a quick google and thought i had found the reference to runner-up. either i read it too quickly, misinterpreted it, it was badly worded or just plain wrong. i couldn't find it again today.

anyway i have have been under this misapprehension for 50 years. I was actually playing at prahran in 1967, 1968 and must have mistakenly picked it up then

additionally, prahran wasn't even in 1st division vfa in 1966. they got promoted to 1st division in 1967 by winning the 1966 premiership with sheedy playing, so he wouldn't have been eligible for liston (the 2nd division award was the j. field medal)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

you are quite right, and i was hopelessly and embarrassingly wrong, franky

after your previous query i did a quick google and thought i had found the reference to runner-up. either i read it too quickly, misinterpreted it, it was badly worded or just plain wrong. i couldn't find it again today.

anyway i have have been under this misapprehension for 50 years. I was actually playing at prahran in 1967, 1968 and must have mistakenly picked it up then

additionally, prahran wasn't even in 1st division vfa in 1966. they got promoted to 1st division in 1967 by winning the 1966 premiership with sheedy playing, so he wouldn't have been eligible for liston (the 2nd division award was the j. field medal)

Was that final against Sunshine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dieter said:

Was that final against Sunshine?

         
  1966 VFA Division 2 Grand Final    
Sunday, 11 September Geelong West def. by Prahran Toorak Park (crowd: 10,000) [18]
  2.9 (21)
3.13 (31)
3.14 (32)
 5.15 (45)
Q1
Q2
Q3
 Final
1.0 (6)
6.4 (40)
9.9 (63)
 17.12 (114)
Umpires: R. Armstrong
     
Brushfield, Gibbons, Salter, Stacey, Williams Goals Pearson 6, Bartlett 4, Butler 3, Richardson 3, Kerley
     
     
     
 
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, daisycutter said:

you are quite right, and i was hopelessly and embarrassingly wrong, franky

after your previous query i did a quick google and thought i had found the reference to runner-up. either i read it too quickly, misinterpreted it, it was badly worded or just plain wrong. i couldn't find it again today.

anyway i have have been under this misapprehension for 50 years. I was actually playing at prahran in 1967, 1968 and must have mistakenly picked it up then

additionally, prahran wasn't even in 1st division vfa in 1966. they got promoted to 1st division in 1967 by winning the 1966 premiership with sheedy playing, so he wouldn't have been eligible for liston (the 2nd division award was the j. field medal)

Kudos for taking ownership of the mistake.... heaven forbid that should catch on here.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daisycutter said:
         
  1966 VFA Division 2 Grand Final    
Sunday, 11 September Geelong West def. by Prahran Toorak Park (crowd: 10,000) [18]
  2.9 (21)
3.13 (31)
3.14 (32)
 5.15 (45)
Q1
Q2
Q3
 Final
1.0 (6)
6.4 (40)
9.9 (63)
 17.12 (114)
Umpires: R. Armstrong
     
Brushfield, Gibbons, Salter, Stacey, Williams Goals Pearson 6, Bartlett 4, Butler 3, Richardson 3, Kerley
     
     
     
 
 

 

Ah, the mighty Maurie Bartlett...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the focus at Casey Fields today will be on the Demons’ training session this morning, the news from the Casey Demons for one prospective player - Darcy Fritsch (brother of Bayley) is very promising.

Paul Amy quotes coach Jade Rawlings as follows - 

“He’s been one of the standouts throughout the summer. I don’t think he’s missed a session, his attitude is first-class and he’s really improving.'' 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically, the news that Bradtke might play at least some of the season in the TAC Cup Under 18s, means that the Casey Demons need to find some ruck strength. 

This is especially so in light of the fact that it appears likely that Max Gawn and Braydon Preuss are going to be used in tandem in the AFL.

 I believe that the major deficiency that caused Casey’s downfall in the grand final last year (and in other games they lost) was in the ruck. The argument for picking up another ruckman before the pre-season draft cut off on 15 March must be growing louder now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pink Freud said:

So basically, the news that Bradtke might play at least some of the season in the TAC Cup Under 18s, means that the Casey Demons need to find some ruck strength. 

This is especially so in light of the fact that it appears likely that Max Gawn and Braydon Preuss are going to be used in tandem in the AFL.

 I believe that the major deficiency that caused Casey’s downfall in the grand final last year (and in other games they lost) was in the ruck. The argument for picking up another ruckman before the pre-season draft cut off on 15 March must be growing louder now.

An excellent point PF. I think that with our list reasonably balanced in most areas, it’s probably worth revisiting as to whether there might be a good back up ruckman out there who could fill that role and add some steel to the ruck situation at Casey. Someone like Marc Pittonet of Box Hill who destroyed us in the grand final would be handy.

 The only ruckman reported to be at the club (Casey) is a kid from the suburbs who we know very little about and who will face an uphill battle against the AFL and seasoned VFL big men in the competition.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, Dec Keilty was used in the Casey ruck in his earlier days, albeit a little outsized on some occasions. Might be a need for him to play that role again. Not that I wish him to miss any chance of selection for the AFL team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Unfortunately Casey May have to use Sam Frost as a ruck role.  Shows they haven’t addressed the key reason they lost the 2018 GF. 

What about Buxton-Wales?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROLLING CASEY TEAM AS WELL

B: JORDON, FROST, LOCKHART

HB: J.WAGNER, PETTY, WHITE

C : STRETCH, MAYNARD, BAKER

HF: KENNEDY HARRIS, KEILTY, C.WAGNER

F: GARLETT, T.SMITH, J.SMITH

FOLL: BUXTON-WALES, SPARROW, SPARGO

IC: TYNAN, VELLA, CHANDLER, BEDFORD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VFL site’s listing of ins and outs (not necessarily fully comprehensive):-

CASEY DEMONS

In: Tom McCaffrey (Wodonga Raiders), Luke Tynan (Port Melbourne), Liam Buxton-Wales (Vermont), Matthew Gahan (Dandenong Stingrays), Nick Lowden (Gippsland Power), Jai Taylor (Dandenong Stingrays), Anthony Vella (Port Melbourne), Darcy Fritsch (Coldstream), Heath Briggs (Dandenong Stingrays)

Out: Liam Hiscock (Frankston), Goy Lok (Frankston), Angus Scott (East Perth), Corey Wagner (Melbourne), Ali Zijai (Frankston), Riley D’Arcy (Frankston)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

The VFL site’s listing of ins and outs (not necessarily fully comprehensive):-

CASEY DEMONS

In: Tom McCaffrey (Wodonga Raiders), Luke Tynan (Port Melbourne), Liam Buxton-Wales (Vermont), Matthew Gahan (Dandenong Stingrays), Nick Lowden (Gippsland Power), Jai Taylor (Dandenong Stingrays), Anthony Vella (Port Melbourne), Darcy Fritsch (Coldstream), Heath Briggs (Dandenong Stingrays)

Out: Liam Hiscock (Frankston), Goy Lok (Frankston), Angus Scott (East Perth), Corey Wagner (Melbourne), Ali Zijai (Frankston), Riley D’Arcy (Frankston)

Still no spare ruckman to take on the competition’s big hitters (if Goodwin uses Preuss as a foil for Gawn in the AFL side or in case of injury) other than the previously untried Buxton-Wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    RIPPING THE HEART OUT by George on the Outer

    And BOG for St. Kilda in last night’s game at Marvel Stadium? It was Melbourne!  This brilliant contributor managed to be the initiator of 13.7 in turnovers for the side, and resulted in a come from behind victory for the mighty Saints. That’s it folks, Melbourne have set a new record for the most turnovers resulting in opposition scores. Despite leading half way through the final quarter (yet again) the Demons managed to right themselves and deliver the ball directly to the opposition

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...