• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Pre-Preseason 2019 Update

Demonland

12 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I recall reading an article years ago that mentioned our ACL expertise (stopping them from occurring, rather than repairing torn ones) is the best in the world. As Harry Hoo might have said (but probably didn't), this presents three possibilities:

• we're both right and there were two such articles
  • one of us is wrong
  • neither of us is right.

When in doubt, go with the one that makes the AFL look the least competent, so…I guess "neither of us is right" is right.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:05 PM, TheCurseisBroken said:

Why always so defensive in this way? Maybe he doesn't have the opportunity to ask? A non-condescending way to reply would be to say that you chatted to Jennings and got the impression that clubs want to investigate every new 'approach' as professional sport changes daily...

Although I'm not normally a defender of Satys tone or approach to other posters (appreciate his input though) I thought the description of the study tour as a junket was pretty derisive,  so can understand why Saty comes across defensive here.

Personally, I think if you are so flippant as to write such a learning trip off as a junket, you are orders of magnitude away from understanding a) how it would benefit the individual in their skills and knowledge and the club in terms of fact knowledge base and contacts and b) how valuable this sort of knowledge development and self improvement is in high performance culture. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roger Mellie said:

Craig Jennings seems to be highly regarded in the industry for his footy iq and his left field approach. It therefore seems fitting that the question be asked.

What sport is Craig Jennings studying?

Craig Jennings (Japan)

Nearest the Pin Competition - Nominations open.

Sumo wrestling?

This story mentions "Chaos" so this sport HAS to be what he is studying doesnt it? 

(Did anyone else get sick of Fathead commentators always talking about "Chaos" ball late in the season during our games?)

Capture.JPG

Edited by ding
Terrible formatting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/5/2018 at 12:38 PM, Demonland said:

And another thing … Melbourne coaches have covered all parts of the globe in the off season. Simon Goodwin(London), Craig Jennings (Japan) and Troy Chaplin (US) embarked on study tours to gain insights by visiting sporting clubs in those countries. 

I hope someone goes to Italy to check out this, Calcio storico which roughly translates as" historical football":

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:02 AM, Roger Mellie said:

Craig Jennings seems to be highly regarded in the industry for his footy iq and his left field approach. It therefore seems fitting that the question be asked.

What sport is Craig Jennings studying?

Craig Jennings (Japan)

Nearest the Pin Competition - Nominations open.

Sumo wrestling?

It wouldn't neceesarily be to study a sport, maybe technology to enhance the studying of the game

Seen all sorts of things tried at training, drones, body and head cams, a sort of whiz bang GPS, the guy trialling it for the club lost me after 3 words when I asked what it did 'better'

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

It wouldn't neceesarily be to study a sport, maybe technology to enhance the studying of the game

Seen all sorts of things tried at training, drones, body and head cams, a sort of whiz bang GPS, the guy trialling it for the club lost me after 3 words when I asked what it did 'better'

Classic, sums up a lot of innovations and technology applications.

We find this all the time in every sphere.

There is an increasing gulf between the techno experts and the rest, but that's another story!

On 11/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, faultydet said:

Does anyone know if AFL clubs are visited by coaches of codes from around the world to see what they can take back for their own games?

Seems we are always reading of our coaches visiting other countries. After 150+ years of the game, you would think we could be leading the way in at least some areas of professional sport.

Whether we like it or not, money rules sports. Professional teams overseas leave no stone unturned ( read spend copious amounts of money)  in an effort to get an edge. Some of these innovations will work some won't. AFL coaching staff don't visit 3rd division soccer teams in Greece to get an edge - they visit professional gridiron, baseball, English soccer teams that spend squillions on improving what they do. Hence the reason we go and visit them.

The thing overseas coaches could learn from our game is how we produce world class athletes on a shoestring budget.

13 minutes ago, nutbean said:

Whether we like it or not, money rules sports. Professional teams overseas leave no stone unturned ( read spend copious amounts of money)  in an effort to get an edge. Some of these innovations will work some won't. AFL coaching staff don't visit 3rd division soccer teams in Greece to get an edge - they visit professional gridiron, baseball, English soccer teams that spend squillions on improving what they do. Hence the reason we go and visit them.

The thing overseas coaches could learn from our game is how we produce world class athletes on a shoestring budget.

Agree AFL clubs do an amazing job developing wold class athletes, arguably the (all round) best athletes of any major sporting code.

But i don't think it is true to say it is on a shoestring budget. AFL football department budgets spending is in the millions after all.  

Sure the football department budgets of even the biggest spenders (West Coast, Adelaide and Collingwood?) are a fraction of the equivalent teams in the NBA, NFL, Premier league, Serie A etc etc. But i suspect there is pretty significant diminishing returns for investment for those clubs once they expend what our budgets are (does that make sense).

On 11/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Demonland said:

Speaking about his goal kicking I think Trac seemed to lose confidence in front of goal. He seemed to always look to give it off when in range.

He is an emotional fella who I suspect often, despite his exterior bravado, often doubts himself. Confidence is a common word used when discussing trac.

Yes he could get to elite levels if fitness. But I reckon his main focus should be getting his game time psychology right.

He gets good numbers. Which is really important in terms of a foundation. If he can find a way to consistently get really mentally prepared he will go to another level. I would love for him to get more aggressive and be encouraged to go for goals more. Cage him in the 50 meter arc and tell him to kick 3 goals a game.

I am confident we will get the elite player with x factor we all hoped for. He is a gun. 

And if does go up a level next season that will go a long way to softening the blow of losing Hogan. Which will be important as even with may in the team Hogan is a huge loss.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 1:29 AM, ding said:

This story mentions "Chaos" so this sport HAS to be what he is studying doesnt it? 

(Did anyone else get sick of Fathead commentators always talking about "Chaos" ball late in the season during our games?)

Capture.JPG

So it's the above for our Pre season Training Camp, eh? No more sh#$ hanging on us.........

On 11/6/2018 at 4:43 PM, Dirts said:

Maybe the wrong thread but isn't it weird to see this after 12 years!

2018 Premiership odds: $8

I’m glad the club is newly optimistic, with a never say die attitude... but there does come a point where you have to focus on 2019. 

• Haha 1

Might be the wrong thread for this. Perhaps the NoTS no BS thread would be better. Craig Jennings going to Japan could have something to do with creating a Japanese style garden in Yarra Park so that there's a area of peaceful contemplation for stressed players or fans to go to regain their equilibrium, which, god knows, we often need. 

Perhaps looking into the efficacy of having petite women walking barefoot across players backs to enhance post game recovery. Certainly some demonlanders would love to give it a go and see if it helps. 

Anyone had any experience in this area?? BBO ?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, george_on_the_outer said:

I hope someone goes to Italy to check out this, Calcio storico which roughly translates as" historical football":

Two aspects would translate directly beautifully to AFL:

1) The rule where you can deck your opponent if the footy is 1m or 80m away - nice!

2) The pantaloons, surely