Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

Draft Needs Analysis

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, rjay said:

We've been here before....

You don't draft for needs.

It's a recipe for disaster.

Best available every day of the week.

You can think of picking for needs but then make sure you extinguish that thought and pick best available.

...and that best available must be a competitive ball winner, tall, mid or small.

If they're not then they're not best available.

 

Not sure I agree. We need outside pace and skill.Let's ask josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

Not sure I agree. We need outside pace and skill.Let's ask josh

That's a different story.

You trade in needs but draft best available.

We just traded in needs both skilled players who have pace and can kick...which is as it should be.

We might yet pick up another before going to draft....

Guarantee Josh will say "best available".

You invariably come unstuck when you try to draft needs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agreed Roos and most good recruiters mantra is more or less pick best available at the draft and trade to fill in the gaps based on needs.

I think 18 clubs mantra is to take the next best available following the previous picked.  However this is a perception in the eye of the pick-beholder. so when you can throw an A4 sheet of paper over the next 10 players you go for what you want/need. 

 

No-one enters into drafting, saying I want "Plugger Lockett", and won't settle for anything else. That is a just fool hardy attitude.

 

This constant bickering of best over needs, is mostly irrelevant... because anyone with any sence of proportion, would see the difference in quality.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, binman said:

Not sure I agree. We need outside pace and skill.Let's ask josh

We need to keep our list fairly balanced.

Those we draft may well point towards the next set of de-listings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Redleg said:

Read what I said. I said we need another EXPERIENCED ruck, as we have a project ruck in Bradtke and without Hogan, they shouldn’t risk injuries to Tom and Sam in the ruck, ad we are short of key forwards.

Someone like Tom Campbell as a rookie for a couple of years, is needed until Bradtke can develop. We have lost Pedo and if Max and Preuss go down we are in trouble.

Here's a problem caused by the demise of the VFL Development League.

Unless there's a major shift in game style, we'll be running one ruck in the senior team for the most part. Gawn

That leaves Pruess as your #1 ruckman in the VFL team. Assumedly we would want Bradtke in that side as well to develop alongside Pruess.

So where does your fourth ruckman - your experienced emergency option - play his footy ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

Read what I said. I said we need another EXPERIENCED ruck, as we have a project ruck in Bradtke and without Hogan, they shouldn’t risk injuries to Tom and Sam in the ruck, ad we are short of key forwards.

Someone like Tom Campbell as a rookie for a couple of years, is needed until Bradtke can develop. We have lost Pedo and if Max and Preuss go down we are in trouble.

I think we should risk Tom and Sam in the ruck. If Gawn goes down we are in trouble if both Preuss and Gawn go down we are unlucky. Tom Campbell isn't AFL standard. Develop Bradtke in the reserves don't need Campbell or any other reject ruckman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Redleg said:

Read what I said. I said we need another EXPERIENCED ruck, as we have a project ruck in Bradtke and without Hogan, they shouldn’t risk injuries to Tom and Sam in the ruck, ad we are short of key forwards.

Someone like Tom Campbell as a rookie for a couple of years, is needed until Bradtke can develop. We have lost Pedo and if Max and Preuss go down we are in trouble.

So what you are saying is that we need a backup for the backup ruckman?  Not sure that AFL lists are big enough to enable that luxury these days.  I know we sort of had that when we had Spencer to some extent, but I think allowing Pedo to retire was a fair sign that we don't think we wanted to go back there.

I haven't paid too much attention to what this mid season draft is all about, but I'm wondering if the opportunity that could present to pick up the best/ in form state league ruck in case of an emergency is something that factors into all this?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Go the Biff said:

Here's a problem caused by the demise of the VFL Development League.

Unless there's a major shift in game style, we'll be running one ruck in the senior team for the most part. Gawn

That leaves Pruess as your #1 ruckman in the VFL team. Assumedly we would want Bradtke in that side as well to develop alongside Pruess.

So where does your fourth ruckman - your experienced emergency option - play his footy ?

Full forward at Casey. We have no one else to play there anyway.Tom Campbell has played there for the Dogs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DV8 said:

I think 18 clubs mantra is to take the next best available following the previous picked.  However this is a perception in the eye of the pick-beholder. so when you can throw an A4 sheet of paper over the next 10 players you go for what you want/need. 

 

No-one enters into drafting, saying I want "Plugger Lockett", and won't settle for anything else. That is a just fool hardy attitude.

 

This constant bickering of best over needs, is mostly irrelevant... because anyone with any sence of proportion, would see the difference in quality.

If you read my other post in this thread, I think we are on the same wavelength on this DV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So what you are saying is that we need a backup for the backup ruckman?  Not sure that AFL lists are big enough to enable that luxury these days.  I know we sort of had that when we had Spencer to some extent, but I think allowing Pedo to retire was a fair sign that we don't think we wanted to go back there.

I haven't paid too much attention to what this mid season draft is all about, but I'm wondering if the opportunity that could present to pick up the best/ in form state league ruck in case of an emergency is something that factors into all this?

I am pretty confident we will rookie an experienced ruck to play at Casey and share time with Bradtke and also be the emergency for Max and Preuss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Redleg said:

We have a project ruck in Bradtke. We need another experienced ruck in case Max and  Preuss go down.

You cant carry ruckman on a list these day purely for insurance.

With the mid year rookie draft next year we have exactly the right setup, in the event we did lose Gawn and Preuss then we take the best available experienced ruckman from SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc in the mid year draft.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could argue that you rookie the likes of Campbell - dominant at VFL level - so that the Casey mids develop a system around a ruckman who regularly wins taps (or at least breaks even). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boydie said:

You cant carry ruckman on a list these day purely for insurance.

With the mid year rookie draft next year we have exactly the right setup, in the event we did lose Gawn and Preuss then we take the best available experienced ruckman from SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc in the mid year draft.

If Preuss and Max are in the seniors, who is rucking at Casey, a skinny 18 year old Bradtke, who has hardly played footy the last few years, I think not. 

How would our mids and setups go, with no chance of practice to a winning ruckman. 

IMO, we will rookie an experienced ruck like Campbell, who can also play forward if required, when Preuss is playing  for Casey.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TRIGON said:

Could argue that you rookie the likes of Campbell - dominant at VFL level - so that the Casey mids develop a system around a ruckman who regularly wins taps (or at least breaks even). 

I like my players to learn to win footy in adversity...  Anyone can win with silver service.  But when the going gets tough, I want those who can withstand things not going your way. the reliable types. 

... no soft front runners_please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree that you need to develop mids so that they can cope with a lack of ruck dominance; you also need them to be able to make the most of having ruck dominance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need tall forward depth. Simple.

Having just lost Hogan and Pedo, we now have Tmac and Weid and that's it. If either or both get injured then we're in for a world of pain and would have to send Frost or May forward, which would be disasterous. There's no guarantee Weid will even perform consistently yet in the short term, though I do rate him and believe he will be a good player for us longer term. This is the most glaring need on our list now.

Bailey Williams is the perfect draft option for us if he makes it to our pick 23, which I suspect he won't. He'd be depth for the tall forward and ruck spots. He's got a great leap, strong body, and if he can tidy up a few aspects of his game he could be perfect long term for us. I hope like hell he slides to us and we take him. All the other options look to be average midfielders who won't add much to an already strong midfield group IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Frost and maybe Oscar are given the opportunity to try (again for Sam) in the forward line for Casey this year if/when they are squeezed out of the back six. Frost especially has had a good year and Id love to see him get another run at it. Oscar... who knows? Still young for a 195cm KPP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Frost and Mac would be considered our tall forward depth options speaks volumes of the current state of our list. Our midfield is strong with decent depth, our backline is now chocked full of talent and proven proven performers, but our forward line is now severely lacking. We need more tall forwards on the list to develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

The fact that Frost and Mac would be considered our tall forward depth options speaks volumes of the current state of our list. Our midfield is strong with decent depth, our backline is now chocked full of talent and proven proven performers, but our forward line is now severely lacking. We need more tall forwards on the list to develop.

Name another club with more than 2 good/reasonable KPF's?

Richmond now have 2

West Coast have 2

Hawthorn have the ageing Rough

Geelong have Hawk

GWS have Cameron and an injured Patton

Collingwood have Cox and whoever else they use to pinch hit

Port have Dixon

North have Brown

Swans have Buddy

EFC used their full back when Daniher couldn't play this season

etc. etc.....

Our list is in good shape, we have pretty good coverage across the board.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

We need tall forward depth. Simple.

Having just lost Hogan and Pedo, we now have Tmac and Weid and that's it. If either or both get injured then we're in for a world of pain and would have to send Frost or May forward, which would be disasterous. There's no guarantee Weid will even perform consistently yet in the short term, though I do rate him and believe he will be a good player for us longer term. This is the most glaring need on our list now.

Bailey Williams is the perfect draft option for us if he makes it to our pick 23, which I suspect he won't. He'd be depth for the tall forward and ruck spots. He's got a great leap, strong body, and if he can tidy up a few aspects of his game he could be perfect long term for us. I hope like hell he slides to us and we take him. All the other options look to be average midfielders who won't add much to an already strong midfield group IMO.

I'm confused about how you think Bailey Williams is going to provide AFL depth in 2019 if Weid doesn't perform consistently?  Sure it's a reasonable argument to recruit KPF depth but there's no way a draftee is going to help next year.  I think you've put two ideas in the blender there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a plethora of small and mid sized players as needed, but look at the talls. Other clubs might only play one or two, but they have others on their list that are either developing or are depth. We have no depth in this position. None. Zilch. 

Our list is one of the best in the league, but this is a thread about analysing our needs, and I'd have thought tall forwards were the obvious place to start. 

Tall forwards on list of approximately 40: TMac, Weid

That balance is way off, and I'm hoping we can land a decent one come draft time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rjay said:

Name another club with more than 2 good/reasonable KPF's?

Richmond now have 2

West Coast have 2

Hawthorn have the ageing Rough

Geelong have Hawk

GWS have Cameron and an injured Patton

Collingwood have Cox and whoever else they use to pinch hit

Port have Dixon

North have Brown

Swans have Buddy

EFC used their full back when Daniher couldn't play this season

etc. etc.....

Our list is in good shape, we have pretty good coverage across the board.

Adelaide had 4 in Walker, Jenkins and Lynch/McGovern. Carlton have Curnow and McKay. Geelong have Ratugolea too who could be absolutely anything.

But yes, I agree with you. It's a bit like my argument over our lack of midfield depth. We've no less depth than anyone else. And if Rance or Martin went down at Richmond their premiership aspirations would be significantly dinted. If Grundy or Sidebottom went down for Collingwood they'd be significantly hampered. We've shown in the past that even without Gawn we can beat most opposition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with what @Fifty-5 said in another thread - we will take 4 players in the ND and take the max of rookies. 

Unless we pull picks out of our rear end, using 91 is pointless and actually less flexible than using the Rookie Draft.

Other than that - take the best available with 23 and 28 and get needs with later picks and rookie draft picks.

Another mature ruck, mature midfield depth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rjay said:

Name another club with more than 2 good/reasonable KPF's?

Richmond now have 2

West Coast have 2

Hawthorn have the ageing Rough

Geelong have Hawk

GWS have Cameron and an injured Patton

Collingwood have Cox and whoever else they use to pinch hit

Port have Dixon

North have Brown

Swans have Buddy

EFC used their full back when Daniher couldn't play this season

etc. etc.....

Our list is in good shape, we have pretty good coverage across the board.

May and Petty both played  forward in junior footy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, boydie said:

You cant carry ruckman on a list these day purely for insurance.

With the mid year rookie draft next year we have exactly the right setup, in the event we did lose Gawn and Preuss then we take the best available experienced ruckman from SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc in the mid year draft.

Spot on. Already using 3/40 odd spots on predominantly single position players in Gawn, Preuss and Bradtke. Having Bradtke not on the regular list looks like the perfect combination to me.

I reckon every club rolls the dice that they won’t have their first and second choice rucks go down injured and if they do they will have to improvise. Tim Smith or Sam Frost would have to do in a pinch if Weideman (who rucked lots in the VFL) and T.Mc won’t be risked, but with a very different ruck strategy than what you’d have with a potentially dominant Gawn or Preuss.

We had a preview in 2017 when Gawn and Spencer went down and things were cobbled together with Pedersen, Watts and T.Mc.

I agree the mid year draft allows for more contingency in case of a significant early season ruck injury.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...